PDA

View Full Version : Uziell/Damen Surname

Augustus27
10-02-2014, 11:39 PM
From some recent research on these two surnames, Uziel(Uzielle) and Damen in my family tree, I've come across that they might be Sephardic Jewish surnames? Can someone correct me on this fact or am I indeed right on this? Many thanks.

Gustave H
10-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Uziel is a Jewish surname. Damen is most likely a Germanic surname.

Augustus27
10-03-2014, 01:05 AM
Uziel is a Jewish surname. Damen is most likely a Germanic surname.

Interesting. The source online said that Damen was a Dutch Jewish surname. Perhaps Damen is a different form of a Sephardic Jewish surname? I will have to look more into it.

Bloodnigger
10-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Interesting. The source online said that Damen was a Dutch Jewish surname. Perhaps Damen is a different form of a Sephardic Jewish surname? I will have to look more into it.

Yiddish probably. From german jews.

Augustus27
10-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Yiddish probably. From german jews.

Yiddish definitely would make more sense in the case for Damen. Lol I never thought they I had any Jewish ancestors, although they were supposedly Crypto-Jews, but I'm not too sure on that yet.

Gustave H
10-03-2014, 02:01 AM

Could be. I'm not sure.

Bloodnigger
10-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Yiddish definitely would make more sense in the case for Damen. Lol I never thought they I had any Jewish ancestors, although they were supposedly Crypto-Jews, but I'm not too sure on that yet.

It's not necessarily jewish but if it was it'd definitely be yiddish. I'd dig deeper if I were you.

Guapo
10-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Sephardic Jewish surnames?

Correct

Augustus27
10-03-2014, 02:36 AM
Hmmm well Uzille (Uzeil) seems to be Jewish but Damen, well the jury is out on that one. I've my autosomal DNA tested, would Sephardic DNA show up as Iberian, not necessarily Ashkenazi I'm assuming?

Smaug
10-03-2014, 02:43 AM
Jewish.

Augustus27
12-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Ah sorry guys, I forgot about this thread lol. Seems to be some people saying it is French, others saying it could be Sephardic Jewish. Not really too sure on this one.

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
03-14-2015, 01:54 AM
This is old but imma bump this since I have the Damen surname in my family history :eek: that was crazy when i found this thread when researching this name.

03-14-2015, 01:58 AM
Oh shit we might be cousins, Uziel is there too in my family history...i think we are descended from that same line (they were colonial family from new york)

03-14-2015, 02:07 AM
I also have van Alstein/Alstyne surname and Cuvellier which comes from France but it's not common. I do often wonder if many of these early settlers from France, Netherlands might have been Sephardic or Ashkenazi Jews.

Nehellenia
03-14-2015, 02:18 AM
Welcome to the crypto-Jew bandwagon! ;)

03-14-2015, 02:27 AM
Welcome to the crypto-Jew bandwagon! ;)

TBH I don't think they were crypto-jews...well they could be. But never make assumptions when it comes to genealogy. Not crypto Jew until proven....

Nehellenia
03-14-2015, 02:30 AM
TBH I don't think they were crypto-jews...well they could be. But never make assumptions when it comes to genealogy. Not crypto Jew until proven....

Prove it! lol xD

03-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Prove it! lol xD

That's the point, no one can. No one knows for sure.

I am doubting it though, Damen is just Dutch I think and Uziel is French Huguenot or something...it's French or German. I was wondering about the surname van Alstein though which I have in my family history...apparently the surname was originally 'Ralsko' and changed to van Alstein.

03-14-2015, 02:34 AM
Ralsko is a place in the Czech Republic.

03-14-2015, 02:38 AM
apparently I have ancient Czech ancestry :eek: I am descendant of these guys: http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vartenberkové

through the van Alstein family..direct descendants of Ralsko/Warttenberg family with original name of Markvatice.

Nehellenia
03-14-2015, 02:42 AM
That's the point, no one can. No one knows for sure.

I am doubting it though, Damen is just Dutch I think and Uziel is French Huguenot or something...it's French or German. I was wondering about the surname van Alstein though which I have in my family history...apparently the surname was originally 'Ralsko' and changed to van Alstein.

I have plenty of suspicious surnames in my family... some of which are also colonial American.
Mueller, Hanauer, Coopman, Goettel, Schnabel, Schraber, Winkelmann, Zimmermann, Edel, Schuchter, Teufel, Nadal,
Beeckmann, de Turk, Joseph, Sofer, Courlander, von Hammelburg, Kalf, Zinz, Emmerich, Landau, Neumark, Schwab.. pff

I have French huguenot ancestry too but they hid themselves pretty good, i can't say anything about that :)

Augustus27
04-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Sorry for the long response man but yeah I think we could be related.

Augustus27
04-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Oh shit we might be cousins, Uziel is there too in my family history...i think we are descended from that same line (they were colonial family from new york)

Sorry for the late response as I just noticed this. There is a good chance of us being related.