PDA

View Full Version : Most common names in Chile. Do you like them?

Brighton
10-05-2014, 06:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mbQsd71.png

Which ones would you consider to name your kids among the most common Chilean names??

Gustave H
10-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Honestly? No, I don't.

Hubal
10-05-2014, 09:34 AM
The female names are all beautiful :)

aimar
10-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Vicente, Sofia and Tomás are also widespread in Portugal.
Of those names I like Sofia the best.

Iltirbas
10-05-2014, 09:46 AM
I like Alonso and Sofía the best. Other names come as a bit too old fashioned for my liking.

Brighton
10-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Honestly? No, I don't.
Haha not even one??

The female names are all beautiful :)
:D

Vicente, Sofia and Tomás are also widespread in Portugal.
Of those names I like Sofia the best.
That's interesting!

I like Alonso and Sofía the best. Other names come as a bit too old fashioned for my liking.
Such as :P

I guess Martina, Agustina, Antonella aren't very widespread in Spain. They sound very Southern Coner to me.

Leo Iscariot
10-05-2014, 05:42 PM
They're not bad, I've definitely heard worse.

Brighton
10-05-2014, 05:58 PM
They're not bad, I've definitely heard worse.
Such as of nationals from where??

Are any of those common amongst Cuban-Americans?

Leo Iscariot
10-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Such as of nationals from where??

Are any of those common amongst Cuban-Americans?

Some, bust mostly from Cuban nationals.

Yosdenis, Yuneski, Usnavy, Midaly. I could go on. You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find most of the names on your list in Cuba these days.

Brighton
10-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Some, bust mostly from Cuban nationals.

Yosdenis, Yuneski, Usnavy, Midaly. I could go on. You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find most of the names on your list in Cuba these days.

HAHAHAHA Usnavy as in U. S. Navy??? Oh my days...

I think Chileans are more traditional regarding names than nationals from "Northern Latin America".. all of our top names seem Castilian except for Antonella (Italian) and Maite (Basque)

Merida
10-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I really like Sofía and Emilia for girls, and Mateo and Tomás for boys. The rest are mostly ok, while a few I don't really like.

Brighton
10-05-2014, 08:50 PM
I really like Sofía and Emilia for girls, and Mateo and Tomás for boys. The rest are mostly ok, while a few I don't really like.
Haha which ones don't you like.. :P

Merida
10-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Haha which ones don't you like.. :P

I don't particularly like : Alonso and Vicente for boys, and Isidora and Josefa for girls
I hope you don't know anyone close with these names :p.

Brighton
10-05-2014, 09:55 PM
I don't particularly like : Alonso and Vicente for boys, and Isidora and Josefa for girls
I hope you don't know anyone close with these names :p.

Hahaha my nephew's name is Alonso!! Fair enough though haha I don't find it offensive or anything :P

I don't think I like Josefa that much either.. would rather call someone Josefina actually.

Also, I don't really like Mateo.. sounds too Mexican/biblical to me.

But I like Agustin/Agustina, Martin/Martina, Benjamin, Sofia, Emilia, Florencia, etc. quite a lot.

Guapo
10-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I like the name Brighton

B01AB20
10-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Martina is having a revival in Spain, many young Martinas here in catalonia.

Curiously Martín is a very spanish name, but Martina sounds foreigner, to me at least.

Josefa is definitely from Franco's time.

Leo Iscariot
10-05-2014, 10:13 PM
HAHAHAHA Usnavy as in U. S. Navy??? Oh my days...

I think Chileans are more traditional regarding names than nationals from "Northern Latin America".. all of our top names seem Castilian except for Antonella (Italian) and Maite (Basque)

Exactly.

Cuban-Americans are more traditional. Cuban nationals, not so much.

B01AB20
10-06-2014, 02:10 AM
Why do you say that about Josefa :lol:

Someone was making the parallel Agustin - Augusto (Pinochet), Sofia - Lucia (Hiriart, Pinochet's wife) haha.

Josefa is very old-fashioned nowadays, para mi abuela sería normal el nombre josefa, para mi sería un nombre normal para una abuela.

RMuller
10-06-2014, 03:04 AM

Mateo is not a common name given to Mexicans. The more common names given to Mexicans out of the list you posted is Martin,Vicente,Tomas.

Brighton
10-06-2014, 03:15 AM
Josefa is very old-fashioned nowadays, para mi abuela sería normal el nombre josefa, para mi sería un nombre normal para una abuela.
Same! Me suena antiguo jaja.. pero a veces los nombres antiguos como que se ponen "de moda"..

Mateo is not a common name given to Mexicans. The more common names given to Mexicans out of the list you posted is Martin,Vicente,Tomas.Dude stop :lol:

http://espanol.babycenter.com/a25007867/los-nombres-de-beb%C3%A9-m%C3%A1s-populares-en-m%C3%A9xico-en-2013

Mateo is in 2nd place bro.. and to be honest it sounds quite Mexican haha.. same as Guadalupe, Maria del Carmen, Jesus, and all those names.

Why are you always trying to say the opposite of what I say, even if the fucking Registro Nacional de Población e Identificación Personal agrees with me haha.

Gauthier
10-06-2014, 03:18 AM
Hahaha my nephew's name is Alonso!! Fair enough though haha I don't find it offensive or anything :P

I don't think I like Josefa that much either.. would rather call someone Josefina actually.

But I like Agustin/Agustina, Martin/Martina, Benjamin, Sofia, Emilia, Florencia, etc. quite a lot.

Mateo is not a common name in Mexico, but Martin and Benjamin on the other hand are quite common.

Brighton
10-06-2014, 03:24 AM
Mateo is not a common name in Mexico, but Martin and Benjamin on the other hand are quite common.

http://espanol.babycenter.com/a25007...A9xico-en-2013

Sorry dude. Martin and Benjamin aren't even in the top 100.. and to be fair Benjamin sounds very Southern Coner.. Martin sounds more Spaniard.

There are some names which sound very Southern Coner such as Agustin/Agustina/Martina/Antonella

Others sound Puerto Rican/Dominican such as Dylan, Kimberley, etc.

And others sound Mexican/Central American such as Mateo, Guadalupe, Jesus, Dulce Maria..

RMuller
10-06-2014, 03:28 AM
http://espanol.babycenter.com/a25007867/los-nombres-de-beb%C3%A9-m%C3%A1s-populares-en-m%C3%A9xico-en-2013

Mateo is in 2nd place bro.. and to be honest it sounds quite Mexican haha.. same as Guadalupe, Maria del Carmen, Jesus, and all those names.

Yes Guadalupe,Jesus,Maria Del Carmen,Jose Guadalupe etc sound Mexican.

Why are you always trying to say the opposite of what I say, even if the fucking Registro Nacional de Población e Identificación Personal agrees with me haha.

Those are recent names given to babies. You will find thousands of Mexicans named Martin,Vicente,Tomas than Mateo.
I never meet a Mexican named Mateo.

Gauthier
10-06-2014, 03:30 AM
http://espanol.babycenter.com/a25007...A9xico-en-2013

Sorry dude. Martin and Benjamin aren't even in the top 100.. and to be fair Benjamin sounds very Southern Coner.. Martin sounds more Spaniard.

There are some names which sound very Southern Coner such as Agustin/Agustina/Martina/Antonella

Others sound Puerto Rican/Dominican such as Dylan, Kimberley, etc.

And others sound Mexican/Central American such as Mateo, Guadalupe, Jesus, Dulce Maria..

I'm sure the rest of the Mexican forum users can confirm my words.

Brighton
10-06-2014, 03:38 AM
Alright dudes whatever I just posted the link with the most common names given to babies in Mexico in 2013 :)

Now let's go on with the main topic.