PDA

View Full Version : I am German American and I feel guilty for caring more about Germany than America

Rosenbalm
10-07-2014, 08:59 PM
I am not German - I am an American...of almost entirely German ancestry. Unlike a lot of Americans (sadly), I take care to follow world events and keep up to date on the ongoing affairs, particularly in Europe. But Germany interests me more than the other nations, and I even sometimes care more about what is happening over there than I do in America, my home. I think this is wrong - not that I take pride in my ethnicity but that I put more stock in it than I do my own nation. This scares me because it seems like "blood and soil" style of thinking that would've made Hitler smile. This is not something that should even matter to me at all and I feel wrong to have these thoughts. I have been studying German (my dad knew some but forgot most of it), and I actually hate myself for caring about this to such a degree. This is something I have actually struggled with a while and even created a thread a while back about Americans and ethnic pride - but that was an attempt to try and justify this behavior of mine more than anything else.

I try to be a proud American and I honestly do not want these thoughts. I think a lot of it is out of disillusionment with this nation, American consumerism, etc. The purpose of this thread is to open up about this and see if any other Americans have had similar thoughts and how to deal with it.

dude
10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I thought you said you found out you were not German but some sort of mongrel.

Furnace
10-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Herr.Hesselink's alter ego, sorry for trolling your thread.

He is 12% German, while you are 88%.

Dictator
10-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Don't worry, you're far from being the only the insane american here.

dude
10-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Did you forget to take your meds?

Arbėrori
10-07-2014, 09:27 PM
You're weird. There's nothing wrong with caring about Germany, you're of German descent anyways.

What's wrong is becoming a mindless American, why do you think the world is so fucked up? Because you're always in European business.

TheBlondeSalad
10-07-2014, 09:34 PM
How come all the nutty ones are always of German descent? :confused:

Fenrir
10-07-2014, 09:34 PM
I am proud to be an American and I honestly do not want these thoughts. I think a lot of it is out of disillusionment with this nation, American consumerism, etc. The purpose of this thread is to open up about this and see if any other Americans have had similar thoughts and how to deal with it.

More likely than not you'd be disillusioned with Germany if you lived there. After all it's a demilitarized, defenseless and secularized state which passively accommodates and appeases its natural enemies, both external and internal. Not much more to be proud of there than here in librul, cretinized America.

Abeja
10-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Faggot.

dude
10-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Because they eat too much nuts.

TheBlondeSalad
10-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Because they eat too much nuts.

Isn't your wife of German descent too? xD

dude
10-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Isn't your wife of German descent too? xD
Yes, and she's nuts, lol.

Rosenbalm
10-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I thought you said you found out you were not German but some sort of mongrel.

No, that wasn't me. Now I did say that I have yet to actually get a DNA test done, so just because my folks come from Germany doesn't mean they were ethnically German (even though they probably were).

The point of this thread was not that I am ashamed of my ethnicity but that I feel guilty for caring more about Germany and Europe in general than America - my own country. I was wondering if any other Americans on here care more about Europe, their ancestral homeland, than America. That was the point of this thread - I certainly didn't mean to act like I am ashamed of being a European American so please don't take it that way.

In any case, I wish my folks never came to this country because I just cannot identify with American culture, and it bothers me to see Europe so influenced by American consumerism. I wish I could identify with Americans and I feel terrible that I cannot.

Manifest Destiny
10-07-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm a moderator and I feel guilty for not immediately moving this retarded thread to the Troll Carnival.

Merida
10-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Herr.Hesselink's alter ego, sorry for trolling your thread.

He is 12% German, while you are 88%.

Actually, I genuinely thought I was coming to one of Herr Haselnik's threads :P.

Manifest Destiny
10-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Actually, I genuinely thought I was coming to one of Herr Haselnik's threads :P.

They're like yin and yang. One suffers from self-induced butthurt for feeling too German and the other for not feeling German enough.

Merida
10-07-2014, 10:43 PM
They're like yin and yang. One suffers from self-induced butthurt for feeling too German and the other for not feeling German enough.

:rotfl:

aah, if we all could complement each other the way they do...

Rosenbalm
10-07-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm a moderator and I feel guilty for not immediately moving this retarded thread to the Troll Carnival.

I tried to explain my position and certainly didn't intend to come across as retarded. If I offended you I apologize; I should have known better than to be critical of ethnic and cultural pride on a website that celebrates it. I think more than anything I was hoping to use this thread as sort of a sounding board to work out and finalize my own thoughts on this issue. If you wish to kill the thread I won't blame you.

To anyone reading this, I sincerely apologize if this thread offended anyone or wasted anyone's time.

Manifest Destiny
10-08-2014, 05:34 AM
I tried to explain my position and certainly didn't intend to come across as retarded. If I offended you I apologize; I should have known better than to be critical of ethnic and cultural pride on a website that celebrates it. I think more than anything I was hoping to use this thread as sort of a sounding board to work out and finalize my own thoughts on this issue. If you wish to kill the thread I won't blame you.

To anyone reading this, I sincerely apologize if this thread offended anyone or wasted anyone's time.

There's no need to apologize. I was being sarcastic. I just thought it odd that someone on a cultural forum would feel guilty about a passionate attachment to his or her heritage.

Grenzland
10-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Far away from home... ;)

Drawing-slim
10-08-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't understand why would this be a troll thread?!
And don't think you should feel guilty about not feeling American but love for Germany if you're 80%+ German ancestry. Even feeling nostalgic about German heritage and culture should be a normal feeling of home since these memories are passed genetically from your ancestors to you.

Neon Knight
10-13-2014, 12:24 AM
Rosembalm's question is entirely reasonable and it seems he overestimated the average intelligence of the Apricity. His feelings are probably a psychological reaction to the rapid cultural and racial changes that the USA has undergone in the last 30 years - a feeling that his identitiy is being undermined, perhaps (?). So one solution is to look to the past for a more meaningful identity - you see that a lot on this forum with people calling themselves after ancient and medieval groups whose cultures would actually shock them if they went back in time.

Abraxas
10-13-2014, 06:26 AM
You're weird. There's nothing wrong with caring about Germany, you're of German descent anyways.

What's wrong is becoming a mindless American, why do you think the world is so fucked up? Because you're always in European business.

Every time I read one of your stupid posts I feel sadder about what my government does abroad. Seriously, 'we' saved your asses in Kossovo and Yugoslavia in the 90's and now you are acting all jumpdafuckup. If America followed what was morally right instead of what is more profitable for the corporations we would have bomber your asses instead of those of Serbia, no doubt, for sure. But instead we had to help some muzzies so we could keep bombing others in more distant parts of the world. I'm sure after our grip is gone your neighbors will quickly deal with you anyway. So no worries.

What the hell is your problem anyway? You truly exemplify what is normally considered to be American MTV degeneracy far more than any present American member here. You take pride in being promiscuous, make a big statement out of what you call 'open sexuality', likely listen to lame pop music, constantly post pictures of 'ex-girlfriends' that are often accompanied by a duckface and Abercrombie clothes. Do you seriously think you're in the right place to criticize "mindless Americans" when you basically behave like the typical wigger teenager? Consumerism (party lifestyle), hyper-sexual behavior, following of trends, arrogant attitude. You have all of 'em.

Prisoner Of Ice
10-13-2014, 06:36 AM
You should feel guilty. Irish master race is far superior to brown eyed huns.