PDA

View Full Version : Are you generous, stingy, or moderate spender?

Absinthe
01-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Simple question: how do you deal with expenses?

Also, how do you deal with expenses in relation to others?

Do you buy expensive gifts, treat your friends for no reason? Do you treat only when you want to celebrate something? Or never (you always split the bill in half)? :)

MarcvSS
01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Simple question: how do you deal with expenses?

Also, how do you deal with expenses in relation to others?

Do you buy expensive gifts, treat your friends for no reason? Do you treat only when you want to celebrate something? Or never (you always split the bill in half)? :)I'm a very generous person... I like to spoil my friends and my GF in particulair...

However I believe that gifts don't need be expensive, it's afterall the thought that counts...

But I rather spend my cash on my friends and GF and see them happy, then spend it on stupid things...

HawkR
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
I'll give you a hint; I never, ever have any money left till the next paycheck:p

Well, I'm a heavy spender, but a little by little I try to moderate it, and it have worked quite fine till now:)

Absinthe
01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeay, and I thought I was alone! :D

I am actually compulsively generous, meaning that I am not only very bad at keeping money but I also like to buy gifts for everyone regardless special occassions.

For example, I enter a store to shop something for myself. I get mine, and on the way to the cashier I see something that would fit my friend X perfectly!
I am thinking it matches the bag she bought last week, so I buy it for her and on the way I also see something that my boyfriend would like and I get that too.
I most probably see a scarf, for example, and I will remember that my other friend had said that she wanted a scarf so I get that too. I leave the store having bought stuff for 4 people instead of one, in fact, in the end I may have even gotten nothing for myself :D (sucker! :p)

When going out, I like to treat my friends as often as possible. When my finances were better I used to treat a lot, especially those who used to get paid less than me. I don't like the bill-splitting process so I usually pick up the bill and say 'I pay this time, you pay next time'.

I am generally lousy with keeping money because they don't mean much to me. At times I have even aided financially weaker friends on a regular basis. Of course, I became the victim of exploitation once too many so I am more careful now. I am also less well off financially now so I couldn't treat as often even if I wanted to :)

Oresai
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I love buying gifts for loved ones. :) When I have the cash, I`m very generous, but some of my most loved gifts have been those I`ve had to use my ingenuity on, when I`ve been broke...something made with care and forethought...a `found` thing, that has history behind it...I like the gift to have meaning to the recipient.
I spent all of my life proclaiming to be the worlds least material woman! I can (and frequently have) live on a shoestring budget, can fend for myself and make something out of nothing if circumstances dump me in that position.
But I`ll be scrupulously honest ....the older I get, the more I desire some creature comforts, would just about kill for central heating, a sunken bath, and freedom from worry over paying essential bills etc. :D
My only solution so far is to rob a bank, but we don`t have one on island, and I have a feeling a woman bearing a crossbow yelling "In the name of Thor, I demand your money or I`ll burn the place down!" would be a bit of a giveaway. :(
So I`m a bit more materialistic, these days, but have lost none of my generosity. In fact when I DO rob the bank and get away with it, I`ll throw the Apricity members a fabulous party. :D

Alison
01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I used to be a very generous person, but times are tough these days, and money is tight.

I still love treating family and friends to good food at good restaurants, but it's simply getting too expensive.

I also used to spend a lot of money on birthday and Christmas pressies, and just odd impulse pressie buying, but that's gone out the window.

When we bought this house, we thought it would be fine, although we hadn't had a mortgage before. Our previous house had been purchase dcash, and the rates were very low.

In the space of one year, fuel costs doubled. Entertainment tripled.

This year, school fees for the oldest son have tripled, but that's cos he's going to high school. His cricket kit cost me 3 grand, school uniform 2 and a half grand and stationery around R500, which is not too bad.

thank heavens he can only choose one summer sport and one winter sport, as the tours cost a small fortune.

We're looking at holidaying in KZN for 10 days in March/April, and accommodation in a self-catering place will cost over ten grand.

Yikes, I am really moaning, hey?

Thing is, right, everything is so much more expensive, and what we used to take forgranted is now almost out of our reach.

Revenant
01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Pretty big, last few years things have been going very well here with the resources boom and all that. This year I can definitely see things getting tighter though.

Alison
01-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Which part of Australia do you live in, Rev? WA was booming big time a while ago.

TheGreatest
01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm a student and a little broke at the moment. I have about two-three outfits I can wear to school, everything else does not fit or is fashionably outdated.

I noticed the price of clothes is going up. I saw plaid jackets at the local mall being sold at $200 :confused:

Revenant
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Which part of Australia do you live in, Rev? WA was booming big time a while ago.

Yep, I'm in WA. Plenty of SA expats here.:D

Alison
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Mix and match and go to thrift stores if you have extra cash, hon. The main thing is not how you dress, but how well you study.

One day you will look back and be grateful for learnign how to budget. what ar eyou studying?

TheGreatest
01-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Mix and match and go to thrift stores if you have extra cash, hon. The main thing is not how you dress, but how well you study.

One day you will look back and be grateful for learnign how to budget. what ar eyou studying?

It is important to dress good for a boost of confidence and for meeting women.
Yes I know I am materialistic. But I am not spending a whole lot (just a thousand dollar) on clothing each year.

Vargtand
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Well I am a very cheap person when it comes to my self, I rarely spend money on things for me, then I rather have it in the bank. But on the other hand with other people, I tend to take my friends out for dinner and then I usually pay for everything. Of course there are times I don't have enough money to do so but I generally like to be the one taking care of that. I also like givning gifts for no real reson :P

Beggar how ever.. normally I don't give them money, nor do I give to charity.. How ever the other day a guy came up to me and a class mate, we were sitting drinking coffee and he first acted as he knew the other guy. When he said no I don't know you he kept pestering him. Telling us about his life story and how bad he has it etc etc... I would tell him to fuck off had it not been for one reason, He was very disfigured from a fire that happened at a disco for many years ago... not wanting to be rude I gave him 6 crowns and off he went. :P (a bit less then 55 euro cents, well that was the good deed for this half year.

(it was the last money I had this month so it's not that I am that cheap :P )

Skandi
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think I really fit into any of the other options so I'll admit that I'm broke...Any rich men out there?

I spend very little on what I consider pointless things, such as clothes, shoes, houseware and pre prepared food. Total clothes expenditure last year was probably about £150 and shoes at £25 (one pair of trainers)

I do spend a resonable amount on food probably about £25 per week and about £10 on drink I tend to buy friends drinks and meals on a regular basis but I don't tend to buy presents of any type

Having been a student for the last three years and still being in full time education money is in short supply arround here. It's especialy difficult because I was used to having money before and the difference is striking!

Fortis in Arduis
01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I do spend generously, but not on everyone.

I found myself simply sending cards to close relatives this Christmas, but buying expensive gifts for people who have been exceptionally kind to me.

The intention is to leave a imprint on that relationship so that the exchange will not be forgotten.

SwordoftheVistula
01-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Mixed/moderate when I have money.

I don't buy random gifts/drinks for friends, but I'll help them out if they are in financial trouble. Usually we split the check when eating out with friends, though I don't really get picky over the exact amount. I'll only pick up the full tab if it's a girlfriend, or friends who have in the past picked up my tab.

I instinctively save money when I have it and don't spend it, since most of my life I have had little or no money. Certain things I'll spend more money on than the average person such as travel, other things I really hate to spend money on and think it's a waste to spend more than the bare minimum such as clothing/shoes/watches, home decorations, and eating out/bars.

Ideology is a big factor as well, I try to avoid spending money in service industries which provide jobs to immigrants (restaurants, hotels, taxis) as well as avoiding giving money to the government as much as I can.

Jägerstaffel
01-16-2009, 12:51 AM
I don't spend any money on myself, for the most part. The majority of my money goes to my wife and children. I'll buy myself something (other than essentials) maybe one or twice a year.

I'm very generous when I do get the chance to be though, I'm always willing to buy everyone a round of Jägermeister at the bar. :)

I don't give to beggars or wasteful folks though, they need to work for their money like the rest of us.

TheGreatest
01-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Mixed/moderate when I have money.

I don't buy random gifts/drinks for friends, but I'll help them out if they are in financial trouble. Usually we split the check when eating out with friends, though I don't really get picky over the exact amount. I'll only pick up the full tab if it's a girlfriend, or friends who have in the past picked up my tab.

I instinctively save money when I have it and don't spend it, since most of my life I have had little or no money. Certain things I'll spend more money on than the average person such as travel, other things I really hate to spend money on and think it's a waste to spend more than the bare minimum such as clothing/shoes/watches, home decorations, and eating out/bars.

Ideology is a big factor as well, I try to avoid spending money in service industries which provide jobs to immigrants (restaurants, hotels, taxis) as well as avoiding giving money to the government as much as I can.

Eating out is real unaffordable and one of the easiest way to blow through thousands of dollars within a short time frame.
Of course not a problem if you inherited your Great Grandfather's oil fortune or French Farm, but alas some of us are paupers :D

But alas some people will do this even if they can't afford it. We're a consumerist nation built on debt. People will sometimes rent Porsche in order to give others the perception that they're ''loaded''.

Lady L
04-27-2009, 03:12 AM
I'll admit I like to spend money :D Its always burning holes in my pocket when I have extra. Most times I enjoy buying things for the kids first and then house things. I've never been high maintenance so when I do buy things for myself they are not expensive. I have always found myself preferring to get 2 shirts for 20 bucks rather than 50 bucks just for one! :eek: These days I think its important to save money instead of blowing it on things I don't have to have. But, damn its fun! :D

Treffie
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I've curbed my spending over the last few years, I used to be able to spend a fortune on nothing in particular. These days however, I think before I buy something and ask if I really need it.

Treffie
04-27-2009, 08:44 AM
I've curbed my spending over the last few years, I used to be able to spend a fortune on nothing in particular. These days however, I think before I buy something and ask myself if I really need it.

Rainraven
04-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I've curbed my spending over the last few years, I used to be able to spend a fortune on nothing in particular. These days however, I think before I buy something and ask if I really need it.

Something I could do with learning..

I have a bad tendency to spend everything I have.. When it comes to presents, I'm usually just a moderate spender unless I find something perfect. Then it doesn't matter the price if I know they'll love it then I get it :)

On dates I'm a strict pay halfer and pay my own way. I just hate spending other peoples money :(

Tabiti
04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
For now I'm almost kaput :D
I'm quite stingy for some things - clothes, shoes, pubs, taxis and so on things I think I can pass without, but at the same time I can spend lots of money for music, healthy food, jewelry. I like to make presents, as well, but there are few people that deserve them :D

Äike
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm a moderate spender.

The Lawspeaker
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I am cutting back wherever I can at the moment but I pay around 10 Euro's a week for the swimming pool because I like to swim and train my body again. A couple of years ago I used to be far more generous and going out a lot buying drinks for my mates as I bought my own but now this has come to a standstill for me and now I rather buy a bottle of beer, mead or sake and enjoy it at home.

When it comes to food: I am now more looking to quality then quantity (I have been thinking about growing some herbs and vegetables in our small garden) and I drink less soft drinks and more tea, water or coffee. For now I will only buy what I need- you never know when you are going to need a lot of money.

Tabiti
04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
On dates I'm a strict pay halfer and pay my own way. I just hate spending other peoples money :(
Yes, I hate being treated, feel so uncomfortable (unlike most females).
Although I'm with one man since 4 years I still demand to pay halfer, exept some special occasions. But even than we have something like turns - one time I pay, the other time he pays and so on. Of course we help each other when someone is in bad financial condition, there are no gender differences in that case! after all money matters don't have place in a relationship.
However, I still notice that males sometimes feel hurted when you insist of paying your half, or offer your financial help.

Heimmacht
04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I have the tendency to buy people things all the time, or when someone needs something very desperate and I can afford it, I will give them the money to arrange it. I got in trouble for that a year ago, try to keep it stable now.

Psychonaut
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm quite picky about what I buy and, as a result, buy very few non-essentials. We make a point to save as much as we spend on luxury items. However, when I do buy things for myself (i.e pipes, instruments, comics, etc.) or gifts for my family, I'm not cheap.

Birka
04-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I am generous and frugal at the same time. I understand the value of higher quality items, like Les Paul guitars are much better than cheaper knock off guitars, although both will play music. You mostly get what you pay for.

Bloodeagle
04-28-2009, 03:58 AM
I prefer quality over quantity, seems to be cheaper in the long run, especially when buying tools.
I don't put much emphases on fashion but I will always buy quality.
I do have to stop myself at times from buying the things that I might not really need.
I do like to buy my family nice gifts but my friends are usually lucky to get a card or a phone call.

Lulletje Rozewater
04-28-2009, 07:20 AM
I am a moderate spender on my friends.
A big spender on my dogs(toy for joy) and geese(green vegetables)
I never buy for my self,I buy edibles for my girlfriends and sons,then eat it my self.
Expensive stuff such as a car or house I leave up to my family.

SHHHHHSsss. I have a sock stowed away full of $$$$$$,for urgent flings.

Rainraven
04-28-2009, 11:46 AM
I buy edibles for my girlfriends and sons,then eat it my self.

Got more than one girlfriends do ya? ;)

Just kidding :p I'm awful at doing this myself, but with me I'll more buy a whole lot of chocolate and candy telling myself I'll share, and then I end up eating it all!! :eek::D

Lulletje Rozewater
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Got more than one girlfriends do ya? ;)

Just kidding :p I'm awful at doing this myself, but with me I'll more buy a whole lot of chocolate and candy telling myself I'll share, and then I end up eating it all!! :eek::D
:coffee::coffee: as in lady friends,I call them my girlfriends.
Never bought flowers though.

Rainraven
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
:coffee::coffee: as in lady friends,I call them my girlfriends.

Oh.. Where's the scandal in that? :(

Lulletje Rozewater
04-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh.. Where's the scandal in that? :(
It is understood that when you say girlfriend(s) you have a relationship(s) going even if you are married.
Lady friends are the women you know and not necessarily have a relationship with.

Brynhild
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
My family come first in whatever I spend my money on. I'm treating the kids to their first overseas trip this year to New Zealand, and I hope to spoil them rotten. :)

I get together with my friends regularly and we all bring a plate for supper. Depending on where my friends live, I gladly travel to visit them. It's more about the quality of time I give people, as opposed to anything material.

I'll only spend on myself if everyone else's needs have been met first. Books, music and classic DVDs are what I like to buy. Something for the house or garden. Clothes can last me for a few years before I bother replacing anything.

safinator
11-27-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm in the Stingy cathegory.

Raikaswinþs
11-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I am a bit of a Catalan. But only because I am poor.

Damião de Góis
11-28-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm a jew when it comes to money. I still remember how much i payed for sushi in Amsterdam and the place where i payed for the most expensive beer years ago.

Incal
11-28-2011, 03:19 AM
I'm moderate. I try to be generous when I tip or when I go out with friends, the problem is that in Peru, if you are too generous you could end up sleeping on the streets when you expect it the less.

Drawing-slim
11-28-2011, 06:37 AM
I been told by close friends that i'm with money like hitler was to jews. I never cared much about money anyway.
But rent is coming up soon, so i better start:P

billErobreren
11-28-2011, 07:14 AM
more stingy than moderate, I'm afraid. I'm probably the biggest cheap-ass I know

The Alchemist
11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm usually moderate in everything, but sometimes i like "going out of head" :D But it happen very rarely, since, unfortunately, i'm not an ultra-millionaire (or better, not yet) :D

Absinthe
11-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Since the day that I opened this poll, I have gone from "big spender" to "broke, finished, kaput"! :D

The Alchemist
11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Since the day that I opened this poll, I have gone from "big spender" to "broke, finished, kaput"! :D
It's just greek president's fault ;D

BiałaZemsta
11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I spend what I got.