PDA

View Full Version : Police Investigate Racist Attack on English Woman

Treffie
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
She was a young woman enjoying a night out in the city - until a racist thug heard her speak and beat her to the ground. Lucy Newman now faces surgery and possible loss of sight - just for being English. While she lay in a pool of blood on a pavement, no-one came to help.

Lucy Newman's family have lived near Inverbervie for many of her 22 years.

But there is still a trace of their Cheltenham roots in her voice - and that was enough for her to get beaten up in Aberdeen.
Police in Aberdeen investigate a racist attack on a young woman in the city because she

She had been out with her friend and was waiting for a bus on Union Street.

Lucy was left lying on this pavement, as passers-by walked around her. Eventually help came, and she was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Her injuries include a fractured cheekbone and damage to her eye that may forever affect her vision.

Aberdeen's equality campaigners are concerned about the attack. The number of racist incidents in the city was slightly lower than the national average last year.

But there were still nearly 430 incidents recorded.

Lucy says her attacker was with another man in a blue shirt - she is appealing for him to come forward.

Grampian police have confirmed they are investigating a racist attack in Aberdeen

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/69606-msps-debate-hate-crime-while-police-investigate-attack-on-english-woman/

Oresai
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I saw that on our news, and frankly think it`s shameful. :( I`ll be the first to admit I`m not pro-English, but would never do such a thing, and never have displayed anti English sentiment in any ugly or dangerous way to a person in this country.
However, I would like to know what evidence there is for it being a racist attack? Perhaps the man was just a psychopath, triggered by something as random as something she said, not particularly her accent?
What is also particularly bad are the passersby leaving her lying bleeding!

HawkR
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Is this a white woman? Then I don't care about the evidences wheter it was a racist attack or not! I'm so sick of watching people not care about the attacks from foreigners, but 430? In Norway we're close to 100 and think that's bad.

Beorn
01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Boy, 7, attacked in Scotland for wearing England shirt

Last updated at 14:42 21 June 2006

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/06/huguclapshaw210606_228x333.jpg

A seven-year-old football fan punched in the head by a racist thug because he was wearing an England top vowed today to continue to support his soccer heroes.
Hugo Clapshaw was enjoying a kick-around with his father in Edinburgh at the weekend when a man shouted abuse and lashed out with his fists.

Lothian and Borders Police today branded the attack "cowardly and pathetic" and Scottish politicians joined in the condemnation.
His father, Damon Clapshaw, a 34-year-old finance worker originally from New Zealand who now lives in Edinburgh, said: "Hugo decided to support England as there wasn't really much choice.
"He might decide next week to support Argentina, it's not about race, he's just a kid.
"But he's not going to let this mindless thug put him off supporting England."
The incident happened on Saturday afternoon in Inverleith park as Hugo, his father, mother Kirsty, 35, sister Lily, four, and seven-month-old Skye enjoyed a family day out.
Out of the blue, the man ran towards Hugo, who was on his scooter, and punched him. Mr Clapshaw confronted the man but he too was punched to the ground and kicked. A passing motorist screamed from her car and the man ran off.
Hugo told the Scottish Sun newspaper: "The man whacked me very hard. He was a lot bigger than me. I am still going to wear the top. My mum bought it for me because I'm supporting England."
Mr Clapshaw added: "I couldn't believe this was happening, in broad daylight. Hugo was in floods of tears and was in a lot of pain.
"I challenged the guy and asked him what it was all about but he turned on me as I walked away. I thought he wasn't going to stop and that maybe he was going to stab me."
He said the man shouted "This is Scotland, not f***** England" after the attack.
"We still love Scotland and we're not going to let this spoil things but it is the last thing we expected to happen on a family day out."
A police spokesman said they were investigating the "cowardly and pathetic" attack.
He added: "We will not be advising people not to wear England shirts."
Meanwhile, police in Aberdeen were hunting a man who attacked a disabled driver because he was wearing an England shirt and flying a St George's Cross from his car.
Ian Smith was sitting in his car on Aberdeen's Anderson Road waiting to pick up a friend's child from school when he was attacked.
Mr Smith, who is originally from Peterborough, is registered disabled.
He was left with a badly-bruised right eye and double vision as a result of the unprovoked assault at about 3pm yesterday.
The 41-year-old told the Press and Journal newspaper: "He just came up to the car and started giving me a load of abuse about supporting England.
"I told him there was no need for all this bigotry because it's only football but he grabbed the flag, snapped it in half and then pulled me out of the car and threw me to the ground.
"I've lived in Aberdeen for years but this is the first time I've ever suffered a physical racist attack."
Aberdeen South MP Anne Begg was "sickened" by the attack.
She said: "Aberdeen is a dynamic, multi-cultural city which is known for being welcoming to all people. It's very upsetting that someone could attack another man purely for being English.
"In a city where we have a very popular English Lord Provost, I am quite sure others in Aberdeen will be absolutely disgusted."
Scottish Tory leader Annabel Goldie said: "These are appalling incidents - indicative of the worst traits of narrow-minded thuggery, which every self-respecting Scot should condemn outright.
"Scotland is made up of tolerant, kindly, open-minded people and it beholds all of us, in word and deed, to represent our country positively."
Prime Minister Tony Blair also condemned the attack.
Speaking at Commons Question Time today, Labour's Anne Begg, MP for Aberdeen South, invited the Prime Minister to join the "vast majority" of Scots in condemning the wanton violence against Mr Smith.
Mr Blair said: "I am sure everybody condemns what was an appalling and totally unjustifiable attack."
But he also emphasised: "In fairness to the football fans from England as well, the vast majority of them behave extremely well.
"I think the way that this present World Cup is being conducted is absolutely excellent and is a great tribute not just to the German authorities who are conducting it and in charge of it, but to the English fans who have travelled there."

Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-391763/Boy-7-attacked-Scotland-wearing-England-shirt.html)

Vulpix
01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Before the attack:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/13/article-1114567-030B88F9000005DC-392_224x393.jpg

I'll spare you the after one.

:(

Is this a white woman? Then I don't care about the evidences wheter it was a racist attack or not! I'm so sick of watching people not care about the attacks from foreigners, but 430? In Norway we're close to 100 and think that's bad.

Beorn
01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
England fan assaulted in Aberdeen

Police in Aberdeen are investigating a racially motivated assault on a man wearing an England shirt.

Keith Brazier, 29, was attacked by a group of youths at 2030 BST on Saturday outside a supermarket on Union Street.
He was treated in hospital for his injuries and told the BBC Scotland news website: "They were round me in a clockface taking turns kicking me."
It follows a number of recent attacks on England fans in Scotland during the World Cup.
Mr Brazier was wearing an England polo shirt when he was attacked by as many as 11 youths.

The former military policeman, who is English but has lived in Aberdeen most of his life, said: "I was walking down Union Street with a friend to get some food after watching the football.
"I don't remember much, I was kicked on the head and then I came round in the ambulance.
"The guy with me said they were stood round me in a clockface taking turns kicking me.
"My England top is the only thing I can think of, there was no conversation ahead of the attack."
Mr Brazier said there were plenty of witnesses he was hopeful his attackers would be caught.

No complacency

Grampian Police confirmed they were treating the attack as racially motivated as there was no other obvious explanation for the attack.
One suspect was wearing a white short-sleeved shirt, possibly black shoes and had gelled hair brushed forward.
Another had brown or ginger short, spiky hair and was wearing an open white short-sleeved shirt. Another had short black hair and a khaki top.

North East Labour MSP Richard Baker told BBC Scotland: "I am concerned that we have now had three incidents in the north east where people were pinpointed because they were supporting England during the World Cup.
"We have to tackle this as a community. It's an extreme form of nationalism and it's something we cannot be complacent about.
"I will be taking it up with local agencies and the Scottish Parliament."
Barney Crockett, of Grampian Racial Equality Council (Grec), said: "It is very distressing to see this unpleasantness coming to the surface.
"We will be working to ensure this is dealt with so people can feel very welcome in this area regardless of their background."

Fan attacks

Last week it emerged that England flags had been torn from a house and burned in Stonehaven.
Alexander Clark was flying the three flags in the Aberdeenshire town to show his support for England during the finals in Germany.
On 20 June, a disabled retired postman was attacked in his car in Aberdeen while he wore an England shirt.
Ian Smith, 41, was dragged from the vehicle and beaten up. He said it was "a totally unprovoked racist attack".
In a separate incident, seven-year-old Hugo Clapshaw was punched in an Edinburgh park while he was wearing his England shirt.
The young New Zealander, who has lived in Edinburgh for two years with his family, said his attacker had told his father he should be supporting Scotland instead.
The attacks on Mr Smith and the schoolboy were being treated as football-related racist assaults.

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/5139054.stm)

England shirt attacks condemned

Prime Minister Tony Blair has condemned attacks on a seven-year-old boy and 41-year-old man who were wearing England shirts in Scotland.
The attacks in Edinburgh and Aberdeen are being treated as football-related racist assaults.
Primary schoolboy Hugo Clapshaw was punched in an Edinburgh park and disabled Ian Smith was attacked in his car in Aberdeen.
Mr Blair said such assaults were "appalling and totally unjustifiable".
Hugo told BBC Scotland: "I just felt this big whack and I started crying. His eyes looked very fierce."
The young New Zealander, who has lived in Edinburgh for two years with his family, said: "He whacked me on the head very, very hard and it's left a big bruise.
"It was maybe because I had an England shirt on. He told my dad I should be supporting Scotland not England. It was serious because it was a big shock and very painful."

Hugo had been playing with his family in Edinburgh's Inverleith Park on Saturday afternoon when he was punched by a man thought to be aged between 24 and 30.
His father Damon, 34, who was also assaulted, said the man had been wearing a Rangers top.
He said: "Hugo still wants to wear his England top to support a British team. He's a kilted Kiwi."
A spokesperson for Lothian and Borders Police described the attack as "cowardly and pathetic".

'Totally unprovoked'

In Aberdeen, Mr Smith was sitting in his parked car on Anderson Road when he was dragged from the vehicle and beaten up on Tuesday.
Mr Smith is a retired postman originally from Peterborough and has been in Aberdeen for about 12 years.

He struggled with his attacker and was left requiring treatment for injuries to his face.
Mr Smith said: "He was a psychopath, it was a totally unprovoked racist attack because I was wearing an England top and displaying an England flag."
The attacker was described as a man in his early 40s, muscular, 5ft 6in tall, and wore a donkey jacket. He was last seen heading along Clifton Road.
Aberdeen South Labour MP Anne Begg raised the issue at prime minister's questions in the House of Commons on Wednesday.

She said: "Would my right honourable friend join with me and the vast majority of Scottish people in condemning the wanton violence perpetrated on my constituent just for wearing an English top and flying a small English flag?
"This incident besmirches the reputation not only of Aberdeen but of the Tartan Army, who can travel the world without attacking supporters of opposing teams."
Mr Blair replied: "I'm sure everybody condemns what was an appalling and totally unjustifiable attack."

'Mindless thugs'

A spokesperson for First Minister Jack McConnell said: "The first minister's view is the Tartan Army has got a fantastic reputation.(For getting drunk, fighting and blaming it on the English!!)

"He thinks these attacks have taken place by mindless thugs. I think there would be a strong suspicion 'are these people real football fans?'"
The Scottish National Party's justice spokesman, Kenny MacAskill said: "It's appalling behaviour and should be punished.

"We have to get a sense of perspective, this is a football tournament, not a re-run of the Battle of Bannockburn or tribal warfare.
"Hopefully these are limited incidents and should be addressed and punished."
Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie MSP said: "These are appalling incidents indicative of the worst traits of narrow-minded thuggery which every self-respecting Scot should condemn outright.
"Scotland is made up of tolerant, kindly, open-minded people and it beholds all of us, in word and deed, to represent our country positively."
Association of Tartan Army Clubs (Atac) spokesperson Hamish Husband said: "It's just criminal, terrible, but this is nothing to do with the Tartan Army.
"The two people who perpetrated these crimes are not football fans.
"The Tartan Army is known world wide for its ability to mingle with supporters from all over the world."

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5101184.stm)

Oresai
01-14-2009, 02:34 PM
All I can say is, I`m ashamed of certain elements in my own countrymen. Sorry guys. Please rest assured, we aren`t all like that, even those of us who are anti English because of politics and history. :(

Skandi
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
I live in Aberdeen and am presently sat at a table with three other people 3 of us have English accents and one a Finnish one. We've never had any trouble I suspect that it gets used when someone is looking for an excuse for a fight

HawkR
01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Strangly enough, it's the colored man who makes the white man become brothers once more. It's time to set history and past aside, and fight the new threath! When this war is over, then let's take on the past once more, if it's needed. We are all, Germanic.

SouthernBoy
01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Is Newman an English surname?

Oresai
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Think so, isn`t Scots anyways. :)

TheGreatest
01-14-2009, 08:17 PM
No doubt it's a Jew or an Arab. Why assume the man was Scottish without a valid picture?

Skandi
01-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Newman is fairly common in sothern England.

TheGreatest
01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Newman is fairly common in sothern England.

I assumed Newman was a Jewish surname because of a certain character on Seinfeld...

Fortis in Arduis
01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
These attacks are extraordinary, but, you know, I am familiar with Aberdeen and the rougher nighteries in particular. One of my old haunts is being closed down... lol

I noticed that the anti-English sentiment is concentrated in particular places, which are particularly... erm... well... something anyway?!

I spent a few years in Aberdeen, and, even though I have a totally home counties accent, if I went down the road to Dundee, they would know that I was from Aberdeen. I swear that this is true, and I have no idea how...

Anyway, this attack was not even racism, it was accentism.

The girl was attacked for the way she speaks.

How ridiculous is that? Not every Scottish person even has a Scottish accent anyway, and there are some Scots in the North-East who sound as though they are from Lancashire/Cumbria (England)

My old boss was one them. I had assumed that she was English, from the North-West, but she had lived in the area her whole life.

Treffie
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Slightly off topic - come to think of it, one of my friends was killed in Aberdeen, he was Welsh though - they never found his killer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4037753.stm

Fortis in Arduis
01-17-2009, 02:20 PM
A lot of people go missing in Aberdeen as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/5241328.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2053325.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3488764.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2491121.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/4772289.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7567864.stm

These stories do not include those I remember from when I lived in Aberdeen.

stormlord
01-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I assumed Newman was a Jewish surname because of a certain character on Seinfeld...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Newman -it's pretty much as English as you can get.

most Jewish names are stolen from somewhere else, in America and England they're normally German, English or Anglicised German. How else do you think people executed at Nuremberg had names like Rosenberg?