PDA

View Full Version : pit bull attacks and the spirit of an Old Testament law

Melodia
10-27-2014, 09:59 AM
The animal is a different kind, but it would be similar to cases of killer-dogs kept by irresponsible big-breed dog owners.
If the animal is known to be aggressive and vicious, and it roams loose and kills someone, the owner of the animal had to pay with the death penalty. The responsibility and accountability of harboring a dangerous animal was important enough for God to give this law to the Israelites.
That is a terrible way to die, mauled by dogs, just because one of the neighbors fancies pit bulls.

Exodus 21:28-29
If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit.
But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.

SardiniaAtlantis
10-27-2014, 10:05 AM
The old testament also says its ok for me to marry a three year old, but I don't think thats right. Either way interesting connection there, does seem a tough way to go.

Melodia
10-28-2014, 08:44 AM
The old testament also says its ok for me to marry a three year old, but I don't think thats right.

I think you are referring to the story in Numbers 31: 15-18. The Bible account is vague here. The older women were the sinners and were put to death, while the younger ones were spared.

SardiniaAtlantis
10-28-2014, 08:57 AM
I think you are referring to the story in Numbers 31: 15-18. The Bible account is vague here. The older women were the sinners and were put to death, while the younger ones were spared.

There is that, the younger ones were spared in which way? By being taken as brides. Then there is this: Sarah, who gave birth to Isaac when she was 90, died immediately after the binding when she was 127 years old, making Isaac around 37 at that time. News of Rebecca's birth reached Abraham immediately after that event. Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebecca, making Rebecca 3 years old at the time of her marriage.

Melodia
10-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebecca, making Rebecca 3 years old at the time of her marriage.

The story of Isaac and Rebecca is told in Genesis 24. The potential wife of Isaac was to wish to be his wife (verse 8). Rebecca was described as a young woman, she was filling a water jar at a spring (verse 16). She was able to speak for herself (verse 58) and had maids of her own (verse 61).

SardiniaAtlantis
10-28-2014, 09:52 AM
The story of Isaac and Rebecca is told in Genesis 24. The potential wife of Isaac was to wish to be his wife (verse 8). Rebecca was described as a young woman, she was filling a water jar at a spring (verse 16). She was able to speak for herself (verse 58) and had maids of her own (verse 61).

Do you know what Rabbis say about that? That three year olds in those days were far more advanced, and developed. They say that because in Judaism it was traditionally taught that the earliest age of marriage for a girl was three and one day. Either way if you do that math one what I just posted you will get three. Now does it make sense that a three year old was doing all those things? No No it doesn't but that is just one of the many things that make no sense in religion. Like Noah getting the Kangaroos, penguin,s and Polar bears... or like why dinosaurs have been found that displayed birth defects when a perfect God is supposed to have created them. You know that sort of thing.