PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Surnames

RebelsSoul
10-30-2014, 09:59 PM
I was searching my family surnames for origin descriptions and was unable to find the name origins of my great grandmother on my dads side, which is Keusba.

Also i was unable to find results for the name Tirkayla on my great great grandmother side? Any guesses of what origins these could be from? Its like the search engine has never heard of these names.

I'm really confused about what origins these names are from? Any good guess?

KawaiiKawaii
10-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Do you know which countries these surnames are from? If yes, you could ask nationals from said countries to identify them. The problem with a lot of surnames is that they tended to be modified when coming in the country, so the new orthography can make them not undestandable.

Mars06
10-30-2014, 10:32 PM
If you're going on US census records, be on the lookout for misspellings - they're incredibly common.

Tobi
10-30-2014, 10:36 PM
A lot of families here have the name changed to be more easy to write in portuguese. Example: Condotta, from italian, to Conduta in a italian-portuguese form. Nagy to Nagi and etc.

Some families did the same in USA, your family can be one of these.

Guapo
10-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Tirkajla = Serbian. Most likely from the Krajina regions.

Guapo
10-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Now google "Tirkajla" :D

Nurzat
10-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Keusba - Cujbă (Romanian) - Kuzsba (Hungarian) - Kužba (Slovak/Ukrainian) - Kuźba (Polish)

Tirkayla - Terchilă (=terkeela) (Romanian) - Terkalo (Hungarian/Slovak/Ukrainian) - Tirkajla (Serbian)

Hungarians, Romanians, Serbs, Slovaks, Poles and Ukrainians all lived in Austria-Hungary until WW1. all of the variants i named above exist in the respective languages, you can check it also on Google

Guapo
10-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Keusba - Cujbă (Romanian) - Kuzsba (Hungarian) - Kužba (Slovak/Ukrainian)

Tirkayla - Tircăilă (Romanian) - Terkalo (Hungarian/Slovak/Ukrainian)

Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks and Ukrainians all lived in Austria-Hungary until WW1
So did Serbs

Alessio
10-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Now google "Tirkajla" :D

Aah you're half Brit ;)

Nice tattoos you got there mate. Are you a tattoo-artist by chance ?

KawaiiKawaii
10-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Keusba - Cujbă (Romanian) - Kuzsba (Hungarian) - Kužba (Slovak/Ukrainian) - Kuźba (Polish)

Tirkayla - Tircăilă (Romanian) - Terkalo (Hungarian/Slovak/Ukrainian)

Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks, Poles and Ukrainians all lived in Austria-Hungary until WW1

The problem is, why would Kuzsba be translated as Keusba? Wouldn't Keusba come from something like Kösba?

Guapo
10-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Many Serbs were magyarized. For example Sándor Petőfi , Zorán Sztevanovity , Mihály Táncsics, Döme Sztójay, Béni Kállay etc

Guapo
10-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Aah you're half Brit ;)

Nice tattoos you got there mate. Are you a tattoo-artist by chance ?

half english and no I have an even beer job than that.

RebelsSoul
10-31-2014, 01:43 AM
It seems tirkaja seems to be a close match. I agree some names could have been altered for simplicity. It seems like allot of immigrants even now no matter if they are from Europe, Mexico, the middle east asia etc, seem to simplify there names.
I have the records, from census, and birth records.

I know Anna tirkayla, my great great grandmother was an immigrant from Hungary. I'm sure there where many Serbians living in Hungary. So I would not be surprised if she had some or Romanian background like Guapo and gyomber, since the locations are fairly close to Hungary.

My great grandmother on my dads side was from Budapest Hungary, as far as I know. My great grandfather on that side was half Austrian! My Grandfather had a darker complexion, for a magyar/czech/Austrian. I always thought he could have had some Romani background. My dad told me as a young girl he had Chechen background, then my uncle said no czech. lol But anyways, Im pretty sure my great grandmother coming from Hungary is correct. What ever ethnicity he was I still turned out fair skinned, because my paternal grandmothers family is VERY Irish.

Guapo
10-31-2014, 01:45 AM
It seems tirkaja seems to be a close match. I agree some names could have been altered for simplicity. It seems like allot of immigrants even now no matter if they are from Europe, Mexico, the middle east asia etc, seem to simplify there names.
I have the records, from census, and birth records.

I know Anna tirkayla, my great great grandmother was an immigrant from Hungary. I'm sure there where many Serbians living in Hungary. So I would not be surprised if she had some or Romanian background like Guapo and gyomber, since the locations are fairly close to Hungary.

My great grandmother on my dads side was from Budapest Hungary, as far as I know. My great grandfather on that side was half Austrian/czech! My Grandfather had a darker complexion, for a magyar/czech/Austrian. I always thought he could have had some Romani background. My dad told me as a young girl he had Chechen background, then my uncle said no czech. lol But anyways, Im pretty sure my great grandmother coming from Hungary is correct. What ever ethnicity he was I still turned out fair skinned, because my paternal grandmothers family is VERY Irish.
You look pretty.

Petros Houhoulis
10-31-2014, 01:56 AM
Can we call you Katy Perry? Because it's difficult to keep track of everybodys' aliases here, some folks keep changing them all of the time...

RebelsSoul
10-31-2014, 02:04 AM
Thanks Guapo!

And Petros, nah call me Meg lol . These are not my aliasis, they are my ancestors names I can't find the orgin...

IronHeart
10-31-2014, 02:32 AM
WorldlyChick, I think you are not czech your chechen! You look like a female version or this Chechen rebel.
Or you are him in drag. I think you might be him, dressed like a girl.

RebelsSoul
10-31-2014, 03:56 AM
Ironheart, lol! whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Crn Volk
10-31-2014, 04:02 AM
Ironheart, lol! whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Troll. Soon to be banned.