PDA

View Full Version : Apology to the Sicilian/Italian users here.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:13 AM
I am really on a roll today apologizing for things, and this one will be a bit harder for people to accept since some of the posters here seem a bit unforgiving. But I might as well try, since due to limited knowledge that I had during most of the time I have been here, some of the statements I had given that were presented as fact turned out to be misinformed.. in the right direction in some ways, but misinformed.

Having seen more genetic results from different places in Italy, including Lazio and Abruzzo, it has become clear to me that, contrary to what I had once said, it is in fact not true that Sicilians and Calabrese are "displaced Greeks", while central Italians are a totally distinct, "pure" Italic population unrelated to southerners. I have learned that linguistic groupings are in fact not determinant of genes.

In reality, it is clearer now, having seen more genetic results, that there is a genetic cline in Italy, where as you move south down the peninsula, the genetic affinity to Northern Europe decreases the genetic influence from West Asia increases, and genetic influences from SW Asia and NW Africa appear as you get to the far south of the peninsula. This means that by the time you get to Sicily and Calabria, the North European influence is lowest, and the SW Asian and West Asian highest, with a minor NW African element. Thus, all Italians are related to one another, but genetically distinct as you move south.

The importance of this is that, on Oracle results and having seen a lot more results, Abruzzo southward, Sicily, Crete, and the Dodecanese islands of Greece all are more or less genetically similar. Haplogroup studies show that there is a Balkan genetic influence, likely signaling mainland Greek and Illyrian expansion, but the point of this is that, even prior to Greek influences, we should probably look to the pre-Greek, Neolithic descended populations of Sicily, Crete, etc. to figure out the genetic structure of these places. And given that "Italic" Abruzzo and Lazio are still very similar to Greek islands and Sicily, implies to me that the pre-Greek populations of central-southern Italy, Sicily, Crete, etc. were similar.

Since it has been shown through a greater sampling that even Anatolian-admixed Greeks, as well as North Aegean, Ionian islands, etc. have a similar amount of Northeast Euro, that this is not in fact "Slavic" but an integral part of the Greek genome.. since this is not found in southern Italy, Sicily, or Crete, it implies that these regions did not experience massive Greek settlement, but were naturally an East Med people who have probably not changed much.

Also, the fact that Cretan Greeks score nearly identically to Sicilians on most calculators implies that no, we do not have much Phoenician, Norman ,etc. ancestry. One study did find that Sicilians are kind of "in between" Cretans and southern Peloponnesians (Lakonians), but this sample was from Syracuse, which might have more NE Euro influence via Greece and pulling them a bit north. Most of the samples I have are from Palermo, Messina, Agrigento and Catania.

This also implies that we cannot assume about the populations in Sicily -- Elymians, Sikels, and Sicanians -- since there are no major island-wide divisions and no evidence that these people differed much genetically, despite speaking different languages. There is clearly a genetic cluster consisting of Sicily, Calabria, Crete, Abruzzo, etc. that kind of discredits the idea that there were massive genetic distinctions.

So I apologize for spreading misinformation, and since I have always promised to update my views and what I propose as the science disproves me, I will now act accordingly and cease and desist from presenting information that is incorrect or exaggerated. I apologize for any damage I have caused.

What I will not do, however, is deny that there is a genetic influence from West and SW Asia, and I will not misrepresent genetic information just because it is uncomfortable for some to hear. But I will no longer continue spreading information that is not accurate.

I hope that this can be the start of a better relationship and that you all accept my apology. :)

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:22 AM
So basically, Cretans and Dodecanese Greeks are "Sicilian like", rather than the reverse.. which means that the pre-Greek people of southern Italy likely were an East Med, Neolithic people related to Greek islands (probably settled in the same waves at the same time), who then received minor inputs from other groups. This implies that none of the relevant groups today (Greeks, Sicilians ,etc.) have likely changed much since ancient times, contrary to what I and others have said.

Tooting Carmen
10-31-2014, 01:24 AM
:)

KawaiiKawaii
10-31-2014, 01:27 AM
Sikeliot, you've apologized enough. It's ok, there is no need to, Italians, Greeks and whatever won't hate you, because they don't really care.
Are you in some cult which forces you to apologizes for every mistake you made?

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:29 AM
So basically as a summary, the things I will no longer be saying:

1) Mainland Greeks are "Slavic". Instead I'll be saying "Cretans and some other islanders are "Sicilian-like" compared to other Greeks."

2) Southern Italians are not "Italian", but "Greeks" instead. Instead I'll be saying "There is a genetic cline in Italy, ranging from almost Swiss-like to almost Cypriot-like as you move south."

3) Sicilians are part Phoenician, and Norman. Instead I will say that they have not changed much since ancient times as evidenced by their firm placement within a genetic cluster shared with island Greeks and other southern Italians.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:30 AM
Sikeliot, you've apologized enough. It's ok, there is no need to, Italians, Greeks and whatever won't hate you, because they don't really care.
Are you in some cult which forces you to apologizes for every mistake you made?

A user asked me to apologize, but also I realized that there were misconceptions on my end and wanted to clarify :)

Lábaru
10-31-2014, 01:31 AM
As an Atlantid Alpha member I can give you a general pardon and free you of all your sins :)

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:32 AM
The main reason I am posting these threads is because I want to be on the side of science, not the one of wishful thinking. Thus, if my views are not in line with science, I will say so, apologize for spreading misinformation, and then correct my thinking.

I don't honestly care so much about people's personal feelings, it's about being accurate and consistent.

KawaiiKawaii
10-31-2014, 01:37 AM
You still need, let's say, 20 Hail Mary, and all your sins will be forgiven.

Lábaru
10-31-2014, 01:37 AM
The main reason I am posting these threads is because I want to be on the side of science, not the one of wishful thinking. .

this is the right way. When you have science on your side, you are talking with property and establishing facts.

Tacitus
10-31-2014, 01:41 AM
I think what bugs the Italian users on here (and admittedly me lately), is the implication that Sicilians and southern Italians should be barely considered European when historically and culturally that isn't the case, as 2000+ years of history can attest. Not that you literally say that of course, but that's the perception anyway. Naturally however, when talking about deep genetics we're taking several thousand years ago, not really "recent" history, which you did clarify here.

One more thing: the Sicilian samples in the study I sent you were from Catania, not Syracuse.

And of course, apology accepted. :thumb001:

Virtuous
10-31-2014, 01:44 AM
Well YOU can shove your apology up your ass.

What's it about again?

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:47 AM
One more thing: the Sicilian samples in the study I sent you were from Catania, not Syracuse.

Catania has more Greek influence from the mainland, as opposed to other parts of the island that have either Greek influence from the islands (Gela was founded by colonists from Rhodes), or were less impacted by Greeks and had little Norman influence to add anything northern.

Moreover I never imply that southern Italians are not "European", I simply am not going to lie and pretend that there is the same amount of SW and West Asian in Sicily as in Spain and northern Italy, because it is not true. Southern Italy, Sicily, Malta, and the outlying Greek islands have around the same amount, are one genetic cluster, and are SE Europeans/East Med people. But I still consider them "European" of course :)

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:52 AM
Well YOU can shove your apology up your ass.

Why? The things I said before were based on incomplete genetic information and low sample size. Now that I have had access to more samples, it has revealed flaws in my thinking, and because my thinking has pervaded every anthroforum, I thought I might as well admit that some of my theories were wrong.

Whoops. I realized your comment was a joke :lol: Sorry!

KawaiiKawaii
10-31-2014, 01:53 AM
Why? The things I said before were based on incomplete genetic information and low sample size. Now that I have had access to more samples, it has revealed flaws in my thinking, and because my thinking has pervaded every anthroforum, I thought I might as well admit that some of my theories were wrong.

Look at the end of his comment.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 01:55 AM
I realized. :lol: I removed my thumbs down for it. :D

DanielJ1eH
10-31-2014, 02:00 AM
The biggest NW African element is attributed to full blooded Iberians and Portuguese I think. It decreases as you go east. I'm sure some people in Southern France have it as well. It just shows how related everyone on the Mediterranean is.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 02:02 AM
The biggest NW African element is attributed to full blooded Iberians and Portuguese I think. It decreases as you go east. I'm sure some people in Southern France have it as well. It just shows how related everyone on the Mediterranean is.

It's about 5% in Sicily and Spain, 7% in Portugal. I am unsure about Malta but it'd have probably the same as Portugal. It is, however, almost absent in the rest of Italy and absent in Greece.

DanielJ1eH
10-31-2014, 02:04 AM
It's about 5% in Sicily and Spain, 7% in Portugal. I am unsure about Malta but it'd have probably the same as Portugal. It is, however, almost absent in the rest of Italy and absent in Greece.
7% is rather large. I'm guessing the NW African is Phonecian, Berber, or something like that. I'm not sure. It's ancient since it's on the GEDmatch. Not recent.

Lábaru
10-31-2014, 02:07 AM

Have you a reliable link?

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 02:07 AM
7% is rather large. I'm guessing the NW African is Phonecian, Berber, or something like that. I'm not sure. It's ancient since it's on the GEDmatch. Not recent.

I think it predates Moorish times. It's fairly evenly dispersed throughout the places it is present to be very recent, but some might be.

DanielJ1eH
10-31-2014, 02:09 AM
What is very weird is that SSA people don't score NW_African on any of the calculators. You'd think they'd score a sizable percentage. Are they that separated from them?

Mn The Loki TA Son
10-31-2014, 02:10 AM
I forgive you for the times you have dodge/ignore my messages or comments that I have send you.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 02:14 AM
I forgive you for the times you have dodge/ignore my messages or comments that I have send you.

You send so many of them and often late at night when I am too tired to reply. A lot of them are just telling me you have answered something, or sending me far too many images and videos at once for me to process, that is why.

Lábaru
10-31-2014, 02:15 AM

I want a reliable link.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 02:15 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArJDEoCgzRKedEY4Y3lTUVBaaFp0bC1zZlBDcTZEY lE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

That is Dodecad K12b. Anyway, it's 3% for Spain, just over 4% for Sicily, and 7.7% for Portugal.

Lábaru
10-31-2014, 02:16 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArJDEoCgzRKedEY4Y3lTUVBaaFp0bC1zZlBDcTZEY lE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

That is Dodecad K12b. Anyway, it's 3% for Spain, just over 4% for Sicily, and 7.7% for Portugal.

Thanks, 3% is accurate.

Mn The Loki TA Son
10-31-2014, 02:17 AM
You send so many of them and often late at night when I am too tired to reply. A lot of them are just telling me you have answered something, or sending me far too many images and videos at once for me to process, that is why.

I don't like when people do that As I always response back to anything I am send but since it's you who I'm friends with here I forgive you.

Mn The Loki TA Son
10-31-2014, 02:23 AM
Ask Kylie Estefan, I never fail to not get back to any of the threads he send me, he just send me multi of them but I got back to them late or not I responded back. But it's okay, sometimes you can't response back so no hard feelings here.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 02:24 AM
I don't like when people do that As I always response back to anything I am send but since it's you who I'm friends with here I forgive you.

You are more likely to get a reply from me if you send me one thing at a time and not overload me at times when I am busy. I usually intend to go back to whatever it is but then do not remember because I am always mobile and doing many things at once :lol:

I also am not good with Youtube videos, they load very slowly on my computer.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 02:26 AM
Also I am more likely to reply if you message them to me on my wall, less likely if you send them via Facebook.

Guapo
10-31-2014, 02:33 AM
Only girls apologize. Oh wait...

Ianus
10-31-2014, 07:37 AM
And how about thousands of pictures you posted to prove your theory?

Panormus
10-31-2014, 08:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Srn2GKRzg

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 03:19 PM
And how about thousands of pictures you posted to prove your theory?

The pictures do not change, because nothing about them is discredited by the genetic information. It was more that the genetic information led to different interpretation about why some components exist in some places and not others.

Ianus
10-31-2014, 07:59 PM
The pictures do not change, because nothing about them is discredited by the genetic information. It was more that the genetic information led to different interpretation about why some components exist in some places and not others.

Sorry Sik, but no one can't make me believe that you didn't cherrypicked some pictures to prove your theories. Also this topic has the flavor of trolling.

Sikeliot
10-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Sorry Sik, but no one can't make me believe that you didn't cherrypicked some pictures to prove your theories. Also this topic has the flavor of trolling.

I don't, and people have verified that.. but I apologized once and you can either accept it or not.

Sacrificed Ram
11-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Southern Italy = Magna Grecia