PDA

View Full Version : Spanish/French/Portuguese/Italians: What country do you have more sympathy to?

Ars Moriendi
11-03-2014, 11:05 PM
This is a question addressed to the posters of Latin Catholic Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy and France), which share a broad identity by being descendants of the Roman Empire, and sharing both a language family (Romance) and a religion (Catholicism traditionally).

In the cases of Hungary and Romania, what country is more sympathetic and closer to you?

The Orthodox - Eastern European Romania, that nonetheless speaks a language considered to be Romance. 130-140 years as a State.
Or the traditionally Catholic - Central European Hungary, but that speaks a Ugric language. 1000 years of existance as a State.

What weighs more to you? Language, or religion/history?

---

I suppose that to expand the posters that may reply to such a thread, people from other Spanish -speaking, Portuguese-speaking and French-speaking, Catholic majority countries (Belgium, Switzerland, Spanish America, Brazil, Quebec), are welcomed to vote and participate.

Cheers, and give as detailed answers as you can please.

PS: Both for recognition of its historical weight, the joint history as a Catholic entity closely linked to Austria and Central Europe (thus less distant), and my own personal preference; my vote goes to Hungary.

alfieb
11-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Romania.

Religion is secondary, or even tertiary to me. Romanians are proud of their Roman ancestry, not some bullshit pan-Turanism. Their nationalists do not seem weird and alien to me like the Hungarian far-right do. Their language does not sound non-European like Hungarian does.

They both suffered under communism, and they're both far away... but if I had to live in one or the other, I'd pick Romania, even though Hungary has a superior economy.

Merida
11-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I come from a Catholic Romance country. But I'm not catholic myself, so I don't even feel close to catholic culture in my own country :P.

FeederOfRavens
11-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I speak some French can I participate?

Ars Moriendi
11-03-2014, 11:23 PM
I speak some French can I participate?

Haha, sorry. I created the third option for that reason ;)

Virtuous
11-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Don't feel closest to any but 'The Boot' up in the North.

FeederOfRavens
11-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Despite the extraordinarily high percentage of annoying and dumb Hungarians i've met on the internet that's just online and I feel closer to Hungary.

B01AB20
11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
What weighs more to you? Language, or religion/history?

as long as they're of christian tradition it's the same for me, and if they're of christian tradition and mostly agnostics, better.
language is an important factor indeed, but in this case romanian and hungarian are more or less the same to me, slavic languages, and yes I know no one of them is slavic, but man... both are as strange as russian to me.

I feel more sympathy for hungary, romania is a very backward country and source of tons and tons of gypsies coming to spain to spoil the country more than it is already.

Tobi
11-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Hungary.

My maternal family culturally is much more hungarian than portuguese. The culture of Brazil and Portugal are quite similar and the hungarian culture and food are distinctive of both.For that reason, the hungarian culture was preserved in my family and the portuguese not, imo.

My mom sometimes do some traditional hungarian food, even her mother (portuguese) do it. I really want to visit Budapest xD

Ars Moriendi
11-03-2014, 11:48 PM
as long as they're of christian tradition it's the same for me, and if they're of christian tradition and mostly agnostics, better.
language is an important factor indeed, but in this case romanian and hungarian are more or less the same to me, slavic languages, and yes I know no one of them is slavic, but man... both are as strange as russian to me.

I feel more sympathy for hungary, romania is a very backward country and source of tons and tons of gypsies coming to spain to spoil the country more than it is already.

Jaja, vale.
Recuerda aņadir tu voto para ir contabilizando :)

Ulla
11-03-2014, 11:55 PM
I don't feel close neither Romania or Hungary.

DīSanglard
11-03-2014, 11:55 PM
I prefer Hungary. I know the country, have a very interesting culture and very beautiful

Romanians in France, have bad attitudes and I'm not talking about the gypsies

Ars Moriendi
11-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't feel close neither Romania or Hungary.

Yes, it's normal to feel separate, after all, Southern Europe has a thing of its own.
But I guess I could rephrase the question to "What feels less distant to you?: Romania or Hungary"

After all, I suppose that we'd agree that China is more distant than Russia, even though neither are anyhow close.

aimar
11-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Romania

Armand_Duval
11-04-2014, 12:10 AM
I come from a catholic country but couldn't really tell about romanians nor hungarias eventhough I visited Budapest once I dont think that's enough to issue a solid opinion. I have met a couple of romanian gals and somehow I felt some sort of kinship, that's just as much as I could tell.

Ulla
11-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Yes, it's normal to feel separate, after all, Southern Europe has a thing of its own.
But I guess I could rephrase the question to "What feels less distant to you?: Romania or Hungary"

After all, I suppose that we'd agree that China is more distant than Russia, even though neither are anyhow close.

Ok, changing perspective, between Budapest and Bucharest I'd like to visit more Budapest than Bucharest.

Ars Moriendi
11-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Ok, changing perspective, between Budapest and Bucharest I'd like to visit more Budapest than Bucharest.

:lol:
I guess that's as good of a reason as any ;)

Ars Moriendi
11-04-2014, 02:38 AM
Anyone else?

SardiniaAtlantis
11-04-2014, 02:42 AM
For me it is Hungary, but I like Cumans.

Ars Moriendi
11-04-2014, 04:14 PM
More votes and comments :)

Ianus
11-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I come from catholic Roman country and i feel distant from both, but if i have to choose my choise is Hungary, because have a more important past and didn't widespread gipsies in all Europe.

Ars Moriendi
11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
I come from catholic Roman country and i feel distant from both, but if i have to choose my choise is Hungary, because have a more important past and didn't widespread gipsies in all Europe.

There is also something else that is not very well known, but interesting to read about:

Hungarian-Italian Treaty of 1927 on Friendship, Mediation, And Arbitration (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Hungarian-Italian+Treaty+of+1927+on+Friendship,+Mediation,+A nd)

LightHouse89
11-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Well New England probably has more catholics than protestants.....due to the large irish breeding rate here from the 1800s to current times [very large families].........I vote for Hungary :cool: I like Hungarian Goulash http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/hungarian-goulash/fd276f03-8611-4386-8513-035298ab5379

Hungarians are close to germans in terms of thinking so this is why I like them as well.

Panormus
11-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Romania...even though my Romanian maid tried to steal some precious things from my house :picard1:

Ars Moriendi
11-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Romania...even though my Romanian maid tried to steal some precious things from my house :picard1:

Why Romania?

Panormus
11-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Why Romania?

To be honest i feel distant from both Romania and Hungary but at least Romanians speak a Romance language while Hungarians don't mean anything to me

Vasconcelos
11-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Tough question, I'll pick Romania based on language and the fact that I actually met Romanians and got along well with them. Never personally met an Hungarian, so I really can't tell.

alfieb
11-04-2014, 08:30 PM
If it weren't for gypsies, prostitutes, and the fact that there are a million of the bastards in Italy, I don't think Romanians would be disliked.

Damião de Góis
11-04-2014, 08:38 PM
I feel distant to both and don't know much about either of them. To be honest i don't know which religion they are either. So i would vote an hypothetical third option.

I probably know a bit more about Romania because of Vlad.

Cristiano viejo
11-08-2014, 11:55 AM
None, to be honest.
Until ten years ago, that Spain began to fill with this people, for me they only exist because the history books said it :rolleyes:

barbatus
11-13-2014, 03:03 AM
It's Hungary, for me. They're more western both culturally and religiously. I'm not Catholic, I come from a Protestant background but I see Catholics as being more close to us than Orthodox by a long shot. Romania feel more foreign and strange. Plus, I just like Hungarian culture and people.

Lusos
11-13-2014, 08:48 AM
" Latin Catholic Europe "

First time I saw that.

"broad identity by being descendants of the Roman Empire"

Before the Romans there was life.In Cultural matters most of Europe Is.

I won't be biased and choose Portugal.So Spain Is the Choice.

Ars Moriendi
11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
" Latin Catholic Europe "

First time I saw that.

"broad identity by being descendants of the Roman Empire"

Before the Romans there was life.In Cultural matters most of Europe Is.

I won't be biased and choose Portugal.So Spain Is the Choice.

N/A then.

Foxy
11-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Well, you can be romance and not being catholic, but you will still need 3-4 months to speak Romanian if you go to Romania.
So Romania.

Foxy
11-13-2014, 03:37 PM

LOL, if you listen to Russian for a longer period and then Romanian you notice the difference.
Are you sure you don't understand Romanian? I am Italian but I understand about 30%-40%
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lingua+rumena&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=F59EA2B3A480036028DFF59EA2B3A480036028DF

Ars Moriendi
11-13-2014, 03:38 PM
LOL, if you listen to Russian for a longer period and then Romanian you notice the difference.
Are you sure you don't understand Romanian? I am Italian but I understand about 30%-40%
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lingua+rumena&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=F59EA2B3A480036028DFF59EA2B3A480036028DF

He's right somehow. I speak Spanish, French fluently and have conversational level in Italian. At best I understand like 15% of what Romanians say.

King Claus
11-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Romania.

Religion is secondary, or even tertiary to me. Romanians are proud of their Roman ancestry, not some bullshit pan-Turanism. Their nationalists do not seem weird and alien to me like the Hungarian far-right do. Their language does not sound non-European like Hungarian does.

They both suffered under communism, and they're both far away... but if I had to live in one or the other, I'd pick Romania, even though Hungary has a superior economy.
you are not even italian

B01AB20
11-13-2014, 03:58 PM

'parpachinia'... don't know if it is romanian or ukranian, or even if it is 'something', but I hear it a lot from romanian or ukranian immgrants here, or maybe it's what my brain process hearing some romanian or ukranian word.
I guess 'it's' romanian simply because there's a larger amount of them here, but anyway I'm not used to romanian language and it sounds like russian to me; not so strange, I'm more used to portuguese and it sounds like russian too, to me.

PARPACHINIA!!! cagondios...

LightHouse89
11-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Quebec. My grandmother was a Quebekker.

DīSanglard
11-13-2014, 04:25 PM

I understood that it was a contest of visual art.

I speak French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and German. And Romanian is the distant laaguage. But for this video, I think i īm be able to have a conversation.

But the accent sounds slavic

Atlan
11-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Why is be catholic regarded to some cultures (latin) or some countries (spain, portugal, italy and ireland or poland) being the majority of Europe. The catholicism see as a foreigner minority is a very american thought.
If you count all the christians in europe, from all countries, what do you say would be the percenteges of each church?

As example, In Latinamerica I'll say catholics are 65% and 30% protestants (being the evangelical and pentecostals the vast majority)

According to Wikipedia( in spanish):
Catholics are 70%
Protestants 17%
Orthodx 8%
Other christians 4%
Muslims 2%
Atheists/agnostics 23%