PDA

View Full Version : Runic Origins

Bloodeagle
04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Earlier today I got into an argument with one of our Southern European members over Northern European civilization.
I pulled the Rune card from my bag of tricks. After posting first and researching later, I soon had some crow to eat!

Here is a good web site on such things language!
http://www.omniglot.com

Here are a few quotes on Runic text from here:

Origin

Little is known about the origins of the Runic alphabet, which is traditionally known as futhark after the first six letters. In Old Norse the word rune means 'letter', 'text' or 'inscription'. The word also means 'mystery' or 'secret' in Old Germanic languages and runes had a important role in ritual and magic.

Here are some theories about the origins of runes:

* The alphabet was probably created independently rather than evolving from another alphabet.
* Runic writing was probably first used in southern Europe and was carried north by Germanic tribes.
* The Runic alphabet is thought to have been modelled on the Latin and/or Etruscan alphabet.

The earliest known Runic inscriptions date from the 1st century AD, but the vast majority of Runic inscriptions date from the 11th century. Runic inscriptions have been found throughout Europe from the Balkans to Germany, Scandinavia and the British Isles.
Notable features

* The direction of writing in early Runic inscriptions is variable. Later they settled down into a left to right pattern
* Word divisions were not generally recognised in Runic writing, although one or more dots were occasionally used for this function.

Types of runic inscriptions include:

* 'Kilroy was here' type inscriptions on cliff walls, large rocks and buildings
* grave stone inscriptions, often with who carved the runes and who was buried, and also who made sure the stone was raised. (Later grave slabs or stone coffins were sometimes inscribed with Christian texts carved in runes)
* religious/magic inscriptions: prayers and curses, formulas on charms, etc.
* inscriptions related to trade and politics: There are many examples of trade communication: stock orders and descriptions, excuses for not having payed on time, trade name tags for bags or cases of produce, etc. The trade inscriptions are often carved on wooden rune sticks. Political inscriptions are to do with matters of the law, historical figures state that they were somewhere hiding from the enemy, secret messages to do with the fighting of wars, etc.
* personal letters: love letters, greetings between friends, proposals, etc.
* rude messages, similar to modern graffiti or sms today
* Art and craft-signatures: Goldsmiths, blacksmiths, wood carvers, church builders, etc., often put their name on what they made. Objects also somtimes had names carved onto them – either the name of the object itself, or the name of the person who owned it.

There are a number of different versions of the Runic alphabet including:

* Elder Futhark
* Gothic Runes
* Anglo-Saxon Futhorc
* Younger Futhork
* Hungarian Runes (Székely Rovįsķrįs)
* Turkic (Orkhon) Runes
* Cirth (Tolkein's Runic-like alphabet)

Elder Futhark

Elder Futhark is thought to be the oldest version of the Runic alphabet, and was used in the parts of Europe which were home to Germanic peoples, including Scandinavia. Other versions probably developed from it. The names of the letters are shown in Common Germanic, the reconstructed ancestor of all Germanic languages.

Elder Futhark
Notes

The letter k is also called kēnaz (torch) or kanō (skiff). The meaning of the letter name perž is unknown.
Gothic runes

Gothic, an extinct east Germanic language, was originally written with a Runic alphabet about which little is known. One theory of the origins of runes is that they were invented by the Goths, but this is impossible to prove as very few inscriptions of writing in Gothic runes survive. These runes were replaced with a new alphabet in the 4th century AD.

Gothic runes
Anglo-Saxon Futhorc

A number of extra letters were added to the Runic alphabet to write Anglo-Saxon/Old English. Runes were probably bought to Britain in the 5th century by the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians (collectively known as the Anglo-Saxons), and were used until about the 11th century.

Runic inscriptions are mostly found on jewellery, weapons, stones and other objects. Very few examples of Runic writing on manuscripts have survived.

Anglo-Saxon Futhorc
Younger Futhork

Younger Futhork or "Normal Runes" gradually evolved Elder Futhark over a period of many years and stabilized by about 800 A.D., the beginning of the Viking Age. It was the main alphabet in Norway, Sweden and Denmark throughout the Viking Age, but was largely though not completely replaced by the Latin alphabet by about 1200 as a result of the conversion of most of Scandinavia to Christianity.

Three slightly different versions of the alphabet developed in Denmark, Sweden and Norway:
Danish Futhark

Futhark Danish
Swedish-Norwegian / Short-twig / Rök Runes

Swedish-Norwegian / Short-twig / Rök Runes
Norwegian Futhark

Norwegian Futhark
Gothenburg / Bohuslän Runes

Gothenburg / Bohuslän Runes
Medieval (Latinised) Futhark

After the arrival of Christianity in Scandinaiva, the Runic alphabet was Latinised and was used occasionlly, mainly for decoration until 1850.

Latinised Futhark

Thanks to Niklas Dougherty for some of the information on this page.
Sample text - Lord's Prayer in Old Norse (Runic alphabet - Futhark)

Lord's prayer in Old Norse (ᚠᛆᚦᛅᛦ ᚢᚮᛦ ᛋᚮᛘ ᛆᛋᛐ ᛁ ᚼᛁᛘᛚᚤᛘ ᚼᛆᛚᚵᛆᚦ )
Transliteration

Fašer uor som ast i himlüm, halgaš warše žit nama. Tilkomme žit rikie. Skie žin uilie so som i himmalan so oh bo iordanne. Wort dahliha broš gif os i dah. Oh forlat os uora skuldar so som oh ui forlate žem os skuüldihi are. Oh inleš os ikkie i frestalsan utan frels os ifra ondo. Tü rikiaš ar žit oh mahtan oh harlihheten i ewihhet. Aman.

Source: www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-norse-old.html

More information about Old Norse

Eldritch
04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
The Latin and/or Hellenic origin of the Hungarian runes, at least, is uncertain.

Bloodeagle
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Interesting!http://www.omniglot.com/writing/hungarian_runes.htm

Germanicus
04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
In England the futhorc was further extended to 28 and finally to 33 runes, and runic writing in England became closely associated with the Latin scriptoria from the time of Anglo-Saxon Christianization in the 7th century. The futhorc started to be replaced by the Latin alphabet from around the 9th century. In some cases, texts would be written in the Latin alphabet but runes would be used in place of the word it represented, and the žorn and wynn came to be used as extensions of the Latin alphabet. By the Norman Conquest of 1066 it was very rare and disappeared altogether shortly thereafter. From at least five centuries of use, fewer than 200 artifacts bearing futhorc inscriptions have survived.

Heimmacht
04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Uhhm, shouldn't the word be 'Runic' instead of 'Ruinic'...

Bloodeagle
04-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Uhhm, shouldn't the word be 'Runic' instead of 'Ruinic'...

Fixed it!

Wulfhere
04-06-2010, 11:13 PM
This chapter in the Oera Linda Book has certainly been of interest to those researching runes in the past http://frya.angelfire.com/olb.htm#at

Ulf
04-07-2010, 03:37 AM
This chapter in the Oera Linda Book has certainly been of interest to those researching runes in the past http://frya.angelfire.com/olb.htm#at

Unfortunately the Oera Linda is a work of fiction.

Wulfhere
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Unfortunately the Oera Linda is a work of fiction.

That doesn't really matter. What's important is the influence it has had. It must have influenced Guido von List to develop the Armanen Runes, for example, not to mention Blavatsky's concept of root races.

Armanen Runes:
http://www.benpadiah.com/otherstuff/agnawrunes/Armanen.jpg

Page from Oera Linda Book:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Manuscript_Thet_Oera_Linda_Bok%2C_pagina_48.jpg

The Ripper
04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
What Northern European Civilization, exactly, are we talking about? :confused:

Ibericus
04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Runic alphabet is of southern european origin..

Wulfhere
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM

And all such alphabets are ultimately of Phoenician origin.

Ulf
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
That doesn't really matter. What's important is the influence it has had. It must have influenced Guido von List to develop the Armanen Runes, for example, not to mention Blavatsky's concept of root races.

So, it doesn't matter that it's fake? It only matters that it influenced some other people to make up other fake stuff?

Cato
04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
http://www.timboucher.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/odin.jpg

For nine long nights, Old Harr, hung he
In search of the spoken spell;
The runes that he found drew sounds for man
And down, from the Tree, he fell.

http://www.odins-gift.com/poth/R-T/songforodin.htm

Sadie
04-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Yes, sure, everything comes from Negroes and half-Negroes, as the modern PC academe teaches.

Ibericus
04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Yes, sure, everything comes from Negroes and half-Negroes, as the modern PC academe teaches.
You are jealous I know, and your country didn't even have writing until the Romans came in , By the way you signature is in nigger language

Sadie
04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
You are jealous I know, and your country didn't even have writing until the Romans came in , By the way you signature is in nigger language

We assimilated Roman-Latin culture long ago, so it is our patrimony as well. Romans were not the same thing as their degenerate (only linguistic) descendants.

Btw, I am no tree-hugging retarded neo-heathen, so this kind of argumentation means nothing to me.

Ibericus
04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
We assimilated Roman-Latin culture long ago, so it is our patrimony as well. Romans were not the same thing as their degenerate (only linguistic) descendants.

Btw, I am no tree-hugging retarded neo-heathen, so this kind of argumentation means nothing to me.

LOL, yeah ancient Romans were Swedish :lol00002:

Bloodeagle
04-09-2010, 04:13 PM

I hardly think that the Runes, which I refer to in my thread, have African roots.
I find your statements off topic.:rolleyes:

I would also like to point out that Iberian's comparisons between the Northern and Southern European cultures is equally divisive.

It would seem that Europeans come in all shapes, sizes, cultures and shades of whiteness.

To claim supremacy is like, "tooting your own horn"!

Liffrea
04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
The origins of runic inscriptions have been traced from Bronze Age rock carvings in Scandinavia to an Etruscan style alphabet used in northern Italy later adapted to the Germanic sound system. There are clear similarities also with Latin and Greek alphabets. The runic symbols themselves are possibly home grown adaptations of letters found in several alphabets due to the medium they were usually worked on wood or bone.

Ibericus
04-09-2010, 04:59 PM
The origins of runic inscriptions have been traced from Bronze Age rock carvings in Scandinavia to an Etruscan style alphabet used in northern Italy later adapted to the Germanic sound system. There are clear similarities also with Latin and Greek alphabets. The runic symbols themselves are possibly home grown adaptations of letters found in several alphabets due to the medium they were usually worked on wood or bone.
And also similiarities with Iberian runic symbols

Bloodeagle
04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
And also similiarities with Iberian runic symbols

I found this little bit of history on the ancient Iberians.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Who-Were-the-Iberians-78220.shtml

Aemma
04-09-2010, 06:43 PM

:eek:

Really? That's not what your post-bit says! :sherlock:

Baron Samedi
04-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Armanen Runes:
http://www.benpadiah.com/otherstuff/agnawrunes/Armanen.jpg

Page from Oera Linda Book:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Manuscript_Thet_Oera_Linda_Bok%2C_pagina_48.jpg

I agree, it has an immediate Armanen influence just from glancing at it.

Sadie
04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
:eek:

Really? That's not what your post-bit says! :sherlock:

My post-bit is meant to mock the retarded heathenism and nature worship.