PDA

View Full Version : Spartacus - Blood and Sand.

Bard
04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Anyone around intersted in this tv series? I simply love it.
I thought it was a good idea to open this thread so that we can discuss.

Óttar
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
A girl I know who wants to be an archaeologist, says that that series is inaccurate. She says she has to get drunk to watch it.

Bard
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, I think that they made a quite good work re-creating the world of the ancient rome: the wines, the games, their dresses...
Btw if you are a wannabe archeologist it means that you know that stuff very well and you can notice every single inaccurate thing, so for "common" people shouldn't be a big problem.
The series is worth of watching even only for the spectacular combats if you want my opinion.

Falkata
04-08-2010, 12:08 AM
I love the serie too! I think it´s lame to pay attention to the historical mistakes, it´s not the intention of Spartacus to recreate accurately the ancient world, the serie goes into a "300" direction. Nobody complained about the trolls fighting in the persian army :rolleyes:
The girls are stunning btw, and i guess Crixus and Spartacus have many femenine fans too :p

Óttar
04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Nobody complained about the trolls fighting in the persian army :rolleyes:
Some did. I thought the way 300 portrayed the Persians was absolutely ridiculous. Real historical elements are more fascinating than pure fiction. Oliver Stone's Alexander was horrid.

Bard
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Well 300 was just kickass fighters with muscles made of steel, it was about "omg chop chop dirty bastards!" exalting. I wasn't too bothered by the ridicolous persians (they were ridicolous you are right).
Probably it's not your kind of movie.

Óttar
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Probably it's not your kind of movie.
Well, I realise it was based on a Frank Miller comic book, so it made sense to an extent. He could've had the Persian warriors wearing silk, eyeliner, flowers in their hair, rouge make up and beards, and have still been both able to portray Persian decadence and be historically accurate.

DeusEx
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Good, modern TV show, it reminds me old serials like Hercules and Xena warrior princess.

The Ripper
04-08-2010, 10:06 PM
A girl I know who wants to be an archaeologist, says that that series is inaccurate. She says she has to get drunk to watch it.

This is how I felt when I tried watching the first episode. Unfortunately I was out of booze so I had to stop watching. It was horrible, in my personal, anally historically accurate, opinion. Some people can see past the hollywood filth and enjoy the "entertainment". I cannot.

I was hoping it would be something like Rome by HBO. Fat chance. :D

The Black Prince
04-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Concerning the 300, if they would remake such a movie but this time bring forward the more historical elements it would be way better. Imagine 300 spartans in Corinthian armor, thightly packed in a phalanx and holding out against 10,000s of Persians, Bactrians, Medes, etc.. The best part being the Spartans, unlike the last 300 movie, not making a single sound of rage or showing other emotion, just standing straight and fighting like a machine.

Way more impressive than some half naked dude shouting in anger while kicking a Persian in a deep well. For a real Spartan such behaviour would be unthinkable, showing emotion in sight of an enemy, or using emotion to persuade other Spartans. That kind of actions were be extremely shamefull in the cold, disciplined, almost machine-like Spartan society.

The Ripper
04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Concerning the 300, if they would remake such a movie but this time bring forward the more historical elements it would be way better. Imagine 300 spartans in Corinthian armor, thightly packed in a phalanx and holding out against 10,000s of Persians, Bactrians, Medes, etc.. The best part being the Spartans, unlike the last 300 movie, not making a single sound of rage or showing other emotion, just standing straight and fighting like a machine.

Way more impressive than some half naked dude shouting in anger while kicking a Persian in a deep well. For a real Spartan such behaviour would be unthinkable, showing emotion in sight of an enemy, or using emotion to persuade other Spartans. That kind of actions were be extremely shamefull in the cold, disciplined, almost machine-like Spartan society.

Yes but 300 was based on a comic book. Like, say, Spiderman.

Falkata
04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I watch Rome too, but i can see the differences. I dont want realism in everything that i watch or play, i can enjoy fiction and fantasy too...

The Ripper
04-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I watch Rome too, but i can see the differences. I dont want realism in everything that i watch or play, i can enjoy fiction and fantasy too...

So can I. But not historical fantasy. :D

Falkata
04-08-2010, 11:26 PM
So can I. But not historical fantasy. :D

No? I love them :p

http://elescobillon.laopinion.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/asterix.jpg

The Ripper
04-09-2010, 10:21 AM
No? I love them :p

http://elescobillon.laopinion.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/asterix.jpg

I think you know what I mean (I love Asterix & Obelix as well). ;)

In the end, its a matter of taste. You are free to like Spartacus Blood and Sand, I won't think any less of you for it. :)

Eldritch
04-09-2010, 12:23 PM

300 Spartans (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055719/) from 1962 is more in that vein actually. Check it out.

Daos
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I just watched the first episode...

Pros
+ the fighting scenes were pretty awesome
+ hot chicks

Cons
- they wanted to exterminate the Getae...
- the Getae looked somewhat similar to orcs - which was plain odd
- the Getae apparently weren't very skilled fighters... - doubtful
- the Roman crowd was a bit too multiracial
- it had a very cartoonish feel

Judging by all the snow it was winter, yet they walked around half naked. Also, weren't there a bit too many sex scenes?:confused:

Bard
04-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes, it's full of sex scenes, way more than other series.

poiuytrewq0987
04-12-2010, 05:39 PM
300 Spartans (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055719/) from 1962 is more in that vein actually. Check it out.

I have that movie at home, it's a very good movie actually.