PDA

View Full Version : Swiss, which of these two common immigrant groups do you prefer?

bkaligu
11-08-2014, 11:26 PM
??

KawaiiKawaii
11-08-2014, 11:28 PM
? You didn't give me the 2 possibilities.

bkaligu
11-08-2014, 11:29 PM
? You didn't give me the 2 possibilities.

Vote and explain. :)

KawaiiKawaii
11-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Iberians of course, they don't lack civilisation like Balkanians. Why?

bkaligu
11-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Iberians of course, they don't lack civilisation like Balkanians. Why?

Just curious. Do you think most people feel this way? I know Balkanites are also despised in Germany and Austria.

KawaiiKawaii
11-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Just curious. Do you think most people feel this way? I know Balkanites are also despised in Germany and Austria.

Probably yes, I think so.

Peter Nirsch
11-08-2014, 11:44 PM
I think there aren't many Iberians in Switzerland, on the contrary it's full of Northern Italians who run away from crisis and taxes.

KawaiiKawaii
11-08-2014, 11:50 PM
I think there aren't many Iberians in Switzerland, on the contrary it's full of Northern Italians who run away from crisis and taxes.

? The Italian immigration is old, the Iberian one more recent. Italians are the first foreign immigrant group, followed by Germans. Portugueses are a massive and fast growing community.

We don't have mass Immigration from Italy these days.

bkaligu
11-08-2014, 11:52 PM

R you kiddin me? Portuguese are ALMOST as common as Italians in Switzerland, there are also many Spanish. BTW, I don't consider neither Italians nor Germans immigrant there.

Ulla
11-08-2014, 11:53 PM

Italians are the same of Germans in Switzerland, and then there are lots of Portoguese, people from former Jugoslavia, Asia and French.

How cannot you know that? Where do you live?

Porpolita
11-08-2014, 11:56 PM

I don't know about Spain, but almost 30,000 Portuguese are moving there every year.

Source:
http://observador.pt/2014/07/22/emigracao-geral/

Peter Nirsch
11-08-2014, 11:57 PM
How cannot you know that? Where do you live?

I know them because I'm from over that.

Leto
11-08-2014, 11:57 PM
I know Balkanites are also despised in Germany and Austria.
I've read the opposite. Yugoslavs are very well integrated in Germany and Austria.

Ulla
11-08-2014, 11:58 PM
I know them because I'm from over that.

Do you know what? Nothing, as usual.

Leto
11-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Italian is one of the four official languages in Switzerland. They aren't really foreign there.

Peter Nirsch
11-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Do you know what? Nothing, as usual.

why did you give me thumb down? :speechless-smiley-0

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:02 AM
http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/fr/index/themen/01/07/blank/key/01/01.Document.183261.png

This is percents of the immigrant population. Italians are our first immigrant group, followed by Germans, Portuguese, French, etc.

Peter Nirsch
11-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Italian is one of the four official languages in Switzerland. They aren't really foreign there.

English is an official language in Nigeria, are Nigerians British?

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:04 AM

Yes, you're right, comparing Italians and Nigerians is extremely intelligent. Thank you for your contribution.

Ulla
11-09-2014, 12:05 AM
why did you give me thumb down? :speechless-smiley-0

I thumb you down back. Don't be tricky.

Peter Nirsch
11-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Yes, you're right, comparing Italians and Nigerians is extremely intelligent. Thank you for your contribution.

I was comparing Switzerland to Nigeria.
English is a language of Britain, but it's spoken also in Nigeria. Italian is the language of Italy but it's spoken also in Switzerland.

Porpolita
11-09-2014, 12:08 AM

Would German/French/Italian people in Switzerland be seen in a similar way to Irish immigrants in UK? (i.e. foreign, but part of the same "family")

Leto
11-09-2014, 12:09 AM
The comparison is invalid. ALL OF A SUDDEN, Italians are one of the Swiss ethnic groups.

Ulla
11-09-2014, 12:10 AM
I was comparing Switzerland to Nigeria.
English is a language of Britain, but it's spoken also in Nigeria. Italian is the language of Italy but it's spoken also in Switzerland.

People from Italian Switzerland, Ticino, are historically related to Lombards (and even Piedmontese), even if they are Swiss from long time. Your example is just a troll attempt.

Vasconcelos
11-09-2014, 12:12 AM
I actually have family living in Switzerland (specifically in Genève). My aunt has been there for 30 years and married a French-Swiss gentleman who is probably the kindest person I've ever met in my whole life. She's so well integrated she even speaks Portuguese with an accent, hates loud noise, other people being late (she's obviously never late for anything), and generally anything that's not organized or clean. And she goes to bed at like 21:00, which is pretty funny for us in my household, since at 21:00 we're not even having dinner yet.

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Would German/French/Italian people in Switzerland be seen in a similar way to Irish immigrants in UK? (i.e. foreign, but part of the same "family")

I think you could say that, yes. Though now, because the immigration is too big, these tensions tend to become more severe. In Zurich there have been political campaigns against Germans for example, same thing in Ticino against frontalieri from Italy. But still, despite this, nobody really believes that they are really too different. It's more because of the size of this immigration.

Leto
11-09-2014, 12:26 AM
I think you could say that, yes. Though now, because the immigration is too big, these tensions tend to become more severe. In Zurich there have been political campaigns against Germans for example, same thing in Ticino against frontalieri from Italy. But still, despite this, nobody really believes that they are really too different. It's more because of the size of this immigration.
Campaigning against Germans and Italians, but welcoming Africans and Tamils with their arms wide open. :rolleyes:

D´Sanglard
11-09-2014, 12:26 AM

They live better. Switzerland always be a nice place and all of them lives in a good way. In fact, the Swiss economic helps a lot this situation. Tensions almost non-exist

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:28 AM
I actually have family living in Switzerland (specifically in Genève). My aunt has been there for 30 years and married a French-Swiss gentleman who is probably the kindest person I've ever met in my whole life. She's so well integrated she even speaks Portuguese with an accent, hates loud noise, other people being late (she's obviously never late for anything), and generally anything that's not organized or clean. And she goes to bed at like 21:00, which is pretty funny for us in my household, since at 21:00 we're not even having dinner yet.

This thing about eating past 10 pm is so true :D For your average Swiss family, this would be unthinkable. Dinner is around 6pm, not when people are going to bed :D Probably something to do with Winter here, and the fact that during Winter, it's already dark at 5 pm.

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Campaigning against Germans and Italians, but welcoming Africans and Tamils with their arms wide open. :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was logical :D Swiss Germans complain about Germans and the fact that they tend to be better educated, so they get all the high position jobs. Plus they don't speak the dialect. They are also seen as arrogant and loud. Ticino has the problem that the frontalieri are often paid less than the inhabitants of the canton, so there is wage dumping. Same thing in Geneva with the French for example.

Ulla
11-09-2014, 12:32 AM

Italian frontalieri are people who live in Italian border and work in Switzerland, they are not the migrants that move definitely to Switzerland, they cross the border everyday. In the past probably there were also some Swiss, especially the Italian Swiss, that made the same, still living in Switzerland but working in Italy. The same happens with the French border.

Leto
11-09-2014, 12:35 AM
I didn't say it was logical :D Swiss Germans complain about Germans and the fact that they tend to be better educated, so they get all the high position jobs. Plus they don't speak the dialect. They are also seen as arrogant and loud. Ticino has the problem that the frontalieri are often paid less than the inhabitants of the canton, so there is wage dumping. Same thing in Geneva with the French for example.
I see.
Btw, I mentioned Tamils. What can you say about them? How well are they integrated? Switzerland has actually the largest Tamil diaspora in Europe.

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Anyway, the person who voted Balkanites is probably a Balkanite.

Leto
11-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Anyway, the person who voted Balkanites is probably a Balkanite.
I don't vote. But I think second-generation Albanians and Serbs are integrated quite well in Swiss society.

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:38 AM
I see.
Btw, I mentioned Tamils. What can you say about them? How well are they integrated? Switzerland has actually the largest Tamil diaspora in Europe.

Fribourg (my canton) has not a lot of them, but I think now they are not disliked, maybe they are even liked. Their children seem to get education, the parents work a lot. I have never had any problem with them and they seem to be cool I guess.

Ulla
11-09-2014, 12:41 AM

I have noticed also many Germans moved to Ticino, especially after the retirement. They are generally upper class people. Isn't it? I guess this also in the other cantons.

KawaiiKawaii
11-09-2014, 12:51 AM
I have noticed also many Germans moved to Ticino, especially after the retirement. They are generally upper class people. Isn't it? I guess this also in the other cantons.

There are apparently 3500 rich Germans in Ticino, so apparently yes. I don't really know a lot about Ticino, sorry :) The climate is milder and there is an Italian flavor without the Italian state :D As for the other cantons, I don't really know about rich German pensioners, there are still much more German workers, especially in universities.

Here is an article in German if you can read it. http://www.swissinfo.ch/ger/die-deutschen-moegen-das-tessin/156518