PDA

View Full Version : Council set to axe Christmas

Aragorn
11-06-2008, 07:53 AM
A plan to axe the word Christmas from this year’s city centre festive celebrations has been criticised by religious leaders.

Council chiefs have confirmed there will be no traditional Christ-mas light switch-on in Oxford this year, but instead revellers will be greeted with a 25-metre high mobile of lanterns in the shape of the solar system.

A city council spokesman confirmed this year’s event would be called the “Winter Light Festival” to include all religious denominations.

Shoppers on the streets of Oxford criticised the decision to cut out the word Christmas and called for a return to tradition.

There will also be no mention of the word Christmas in the reduced "festive lights" programme to be erected in the city.

The idea is the brainchild of the charity Oxford Inspires, which has been set up to promote culture in the county and increase participation in cultural events.

Councillors have claimed they are not “Christmas killers”, but the move has outraged religious leaders of all denominations in the city.

Sabir Hussain Mirza, chairman of the Muslim Council of Oxford, said: "I'm really upset about this. This is the one occasion which everyone looks forward to in the year. Christians, Muslims and other religions all look forward to Christmas.

"This is going to be a disaster. I'm angry and very, very disappointed.

"Christmas is special and we shouldn't ignore it. Christian people should be offended and 99 per cent of people will be against this. Christmas is part of being British and we shouldn't hide it away."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/3810153.Council_set_to_axe_Christmas/

The Dragonslayer
11-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Thank you for posting that. It doesn't surprise me one bit. We've had the same thing happening here in the United States. There are many towns that are doing away with anything related to Christmas. They don't want to offend those of other religions or no religion at all. They have also been threatened with lawsuits. We see Christmas and other of our traditions being done away with. It's happening in the towns, schools, stores, you name it. They are trying to compromise our heritage and culture. It's becoming more and more secular. It really ticks me off. There are a lot of angry people around.

Teuton
11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Why do I have to live now...

Couldn't I have lived in the 1890's or so? Wouldn't have had to put up with this rubbish.

Hrolf Kraki
11-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Why do I have to live now...

Couldn't I have lived in the 1890's or so? Wouldn't have had to put up with this rubbish.

You said it! The year 890 sounds about right to me. :D

I wonder if these consistent attacks on Christianity will start to change the minds of many people. I´m no Christian, but I certainly don´t want to see Christianity replaced with Islam.

I am rather surprised that the leader of the Muslim council in Oxford was also upset about the situation..

The Dragonslayer
11-13-2008, 04:19 AM
I often feel like I was born in the wrong century. How do I build a time machine? :)

Hrolf Kraki
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I often feel like I was born in the wrong century. How do I build a time machine? :)

Design and construct a machine that has the ability to create a wormhole. :D

Although according to Kip Thorne, a phenomena known as circulating vacuum fluctuations would cause the wormhole to instantly self-destruct. [Black Holes & Time Warps, 1994]

Loyalist
11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Given that the council is tripping over itself to eradicate Christmas when the very people this is intended to appease condemn the move, it would almost be amusing if the consequences weren't so tragic. It's just another example of an effort to be politically correct gone mad. This "Oxford Inspires" should be done away with, as its actions contradict its stated mission. Eliminating Christmas celebrations in an overwhelmingly Christian nation is not promoting culture, but rather eroding it.

The Dragonslayer
11-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Given that the council is tripping over itself to eradicate Christmas when the very people this is intended to appease condemn the move, it would almost be amusing if the consequences weren't so tragic. It's just another example of an effort to be politically correct gone mad. This "Oxford Inspires" should be done away with, as its actions contradict its stated mission. Eliminating Christmas celebrations in an overwhelmingly Christian nation is not promoting culture, but rather eroding it.

We are having the same sort of problems throughout the United States. There are many city councils, school boards, etc. that are doing away with Christmas. They put up a "holiday" tree and decorations, they sing winter songs, etc. The majority of Americans are Christian. Christmas is actually a a federal holiday here. It's so ridiculous that it is so under assault.

DarkZarathustra
11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm totally not Christian but I think that this holiday (as Christian one) shouldn't be removed so roughly from post-Christian civilization.

Johnny Bravo
11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm all in favour of abolishing the celebration of Xmas. :coffee:

Kick out all Muslims first, though.

Hrolf Kraki
11-17-2008, 04:49 AM
I'm totally not Christian but I think that this holiday (as Christian one) shouldn't be removed so roughly from post-Christian civilization.

I agree. Christianity has long been established in Europe and in America and has become part of the culture. All these liberal attempts to suppress it are absurd.

The damage has already been done, so to speak. :p

The Dragonslayer
11-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Whether someone is Christian or not, the fact remains that Europe has been predominately Christian for centuries upon centuries. Some parts of Europe have been Christian for close to 2000 years. Christianity is part of the fabric and tradition of Europe. It helped build Western Civilization of the last 2000 years. We all need to join together to stop our enemies. They are hostile to Christianity because they understand its impact on Western Civilization. They are trying to knock down all the pillars of the West.

Celtic Knight
12-15-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm so glad I am not PC. I get so sick of it all, 40 years ago PC did not exist.