PDA

View Full Version : Afrikaans Rap

RoyBatty
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Jack Parow

(Parow is a slightly deprived white'ish neighbourhood in Cape Town's northern suburbs)

lRzFqW4Xh2k

Grumpy Cat
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey that's not half bad.

Better than Die Antwoord. lol

RoyBatty
04-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey that's not half bad.

Better than Die Antwoord. lol

LOL!! :thumb001: :D
Yep "Die Antwoord" or whatever makes my skin crawl. Brrr.... diabolically awful.

However, I had you in mind when I posted this video. ;)
The guy's name (Jack Parow) is obviously a parody take on "Jack Sparrow" from Pirates of the Caribbean. As I mentioned, Parow is a somewhat deprived Cape Town suburb.

Jack isn't too bad (lyrics wise) for an aspiring rapper although his "beats" / backing tracks are below par and need work.

Grumpy Cat
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
LOL!! :thumb001: :D
Yep "Die Antwoord" or whatever makes my skin crawl. Brrr.... diabolically awful.

However, I had you in mind when I posted this video. ;)
The guy's name (Jack Parow) is obviously a parody take on "Jack Sparrow" from Pirates of the Caribbean. As I mentioned, Parow is a somewhat deprived Cape Town suburb.

Jack isn't too bad (lyrics wise) for an aspiring rapper although his "beats" / backing tracks are below par and need work.

So white South Africans can rap... I take what I said back. :P

Yeah but actually (and I didn't know this), the guy from Die Antwoord is the same guy from The Constructus Corporation, and they're actually pretty good.

ycexQvMy03k

Die Antwoord must be a kind of joke.

RoyBatty
04-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Heh... that clip is a bit like a rap version of something Brooklyn Funk Essentials would have done, except that these guys are nowhere musically.

Long Street used to be a pretty trendy / bohemian / cool place to go out for an evening of getting wasted. However, things have changed. The last time I was there (think it was in December last year) I couldn't walk 5 paces without being accosted by some "brother" or "sister" introducing themselves as my "new best friend" (guess I must smell like a tourist nowadays?) whilst trying to extract $$$.

It's weird, I had more respect for the (am guessing they were) Congolese dope dealers who were offering to sell me some holy herb. At least they were doing some real work unlike the South Africans who just wanted money for nothing.

Grumpy Cat
04-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Long Street is in Cape Town, I'm assuming?

So is there any good metal down there?

RoyBatty
04-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Long Street is in Cape Town, I'm assuming?

So is there any good metal down there?

Yep, it's in Cape Town's city area. It starts at the lower end of a residential area known as "Gardens" and continues into the city center.

There is some metal but errr...... it's mostly not good.

The only decent SA Rockgroup (more grunge than metal) I know of are Seether and they're now based in the US.

St Petersburg in Russia had some excellent live Death Metal bands in 2007. Not sure what the scene is like atm. There's a place called "Red Club", can't remember the exact address but it's not too far from Ploshad Vostanniya Metro Station.

Crazy..... people stage diving, kids crash dancing etc etc. :thumb001:

The Khagan
04-10-2010, 01:06 AM
I always had this idea that only Germanic languages work really well for rap. Percussive nature perhaps? Or maybe just an idea I founded with no other real background... heh who knows.

Swedish rap >

LnaeImQ0TSg

perikolez
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Jack Parow is like Vanilla Ice ,Snow or Eminem . A strange element in a mostly nonwhite world . Most of the afrikaans rapers are nonwhite coloureds , and they tend to imitate EEUU black rap . The rest of the afrikaans music is white .

RoyBatty
04-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Jack Parow is like Vanilla Ice ,Snow or Eminem

Not quite. Parow is more of a parody rapper, a bit like Goldie Lookin Chain. He's not nearly as good as them though.

Grumpy Cat
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I had no idea Seether was from South Africa.

Dave Matthews is too, he's awesome. "Crash Into Me" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

RoyBatty
04-24-2010, 11:58 PM
I had no idea Seether was from South Africa.

Dave Matthews is too, he's awesome. "Crash Into Me" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Yes indeed. Shaun "Morgan" (Mr Seether) was born....errr Shaun "Welgemoed". That's about as SA as it gets, lol :)

9x5nF8aPbMw

Naturally he adopted a more errr, rock sounding stage name and left for the US. SA is a dead end so in order to expand one's horizons you have to leave for greener pastures.

Dave Matthews is another SA. I never really understood what the big deal is about him. Guess it's personal taste, never really got into his stuff myself. He bores me to tears.

Other relatively successful SA's:

Manfred Mann
Trevor Rabin (Yes)
Bolland (You're in the army now - Status Quo did a useless cover version)
The original is much much better

mIbsVZyEvcY

There'd be others.... can't remember.

Grumpy Cat
04-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Someone posted this interesting video on another forum...

dqGAPE9yRMo

Yeah, it's kind of not really my taste (to slow and sappy for me lol, it's not bad though), but I found it interesting in the way the guy code-shifts between Afrikaans and English. I presume this guy is "Coloured", but does the white population do that too?

One reason I am interested in the Afrikaans language/culture is because it has some similarities to Acadian culture - Afrikaans is like old Dutch, Acadian is like old French - and if there is code-switching with English there, that's just another similarity.

Loki
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I found it interesting in the way the guy code-shifts between Afrikaans and English. I presume this guy is "Coloured", but does the white population do that too?

Yes, frequently. :) And interestingly enough, so do the English-speaking South Africans (throw in many Afrikaans words).

RoyBatty
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Someone posted this interesting video on another forum...

dqGAPE9yRMo

Yeah, it's kind of not really my taste (to slow and sappy for me lol, it's not bad though), but I found it interesting in the way the guy code-shifts between Afrikaans and English. I presume this guy is "Coloured", but does the white population do that too?

One reason I am interested in the Afrikaans language/culture is because it has some similarities to Acadian culture - Afrikaans is like old Dutch, Acadian is like old French - and if there is code-switching with English there, that's just another similarity.

Yeah those guys are Cape Coloureds (ie they're not Bantu / Blacks) and have a more Western culture. It's obvious from the video that they take a lot of cues from US "ghetto culture".

The SA Whiteys do mix up English and Afrikaans but do it in a different way to the Cape Coloured style. CC is almost a language by itself, it contains a lot of dialect, slang and phrases which would only make sense to "locals" or people familiar with their way of talking.

Grumpy Cat
04-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Intersting...

I've met a few South African immigrants over here, both white and Afrikaans-speaking blacks (I've met more of the latter, though, since there are more here) who note that there are similarities between their culture and Acadian culture. One reason for my interest in both the cultures of the white South Africans and the Cape Coloureds.