PDA

View Full Version : Is this what Siberian men used to shave in 2,000BC?

microrobert
11-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Is this what Siberian men used to shave in 2,000BC?

Archaeologists intrigued by discovery of Bronze Age razor blade in Novosibirsk region.

http://siberiantimes.com/upload/information_system_38/1/7/4/item_1744/information_items_1744.jpg

'[Razor] is a draft name for the object and we shouldn't understand that it was an instrument they only used for shaving.'

A rudimentary razor blade used by fashion-conscious men 4,000 years ago has been unearthed on the site of an ancient settlement in Siberia. Archaeologists found the Bronze Age bathroom accessory during an expedition to the Vengerovo region of Novosibirsk.

The thin bronze plate had been sharpened on both sides and experts believe it was used to trim beards and cut hair, and may have doubled up as a knife.

What is particularly interesting about the find is that razors were only starting to become popular in the Bronze Age as males put a stamp on their individual identities.

http://siberiantimes.com/science/others/news/n0019-is-this-what-siberian-men-used-to-shave-in-2000bc/

Linebacker
11-14-2014, 09:02 PM
I always wondered how people back then did it.

It was also in Proto-Bulgar culture,they shaved their heads.Must have been a pain in the ass.Considering it still is with all the modern tools I got today I wonder what it was like to do it with a sharpened rock.

SardiniaAtlantis
11-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Thats more or less how I do it today.

Äijä
11-14-2014, 09:11 PM
It could be related to skinning animals IMO.

Äijä
11-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Razors for shaving and trimming hair all over the body were found throughout europe during the bronze age-from greece to scandinavia.

Some were even similar to far off regions due to trade. Some theorized that it is due to indoeuropean connections, especially the nobility, but it's a pretty weak hypothesis considering the distances involved.

Yes, everyone had them but this could be just for skinning.