PDA

View Full Version : Do older parents have healthier children?

wvwvw
11-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Do older parents have healthier children? Study finds their offspring are less likely to suffer from high blood pressure, cholesterol problems or diabetes later in life

The study, published in the American Journal of Human Biology, states it is not clear whether the protective effect is due to parents' genes or their child-rearing style.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2834546/Do-older-parents-healthier-children-Study-finds-offspring-likely-suffer-high-blood-pressure-cholesterol-problems-diabetes-later-life.html

Carignan
11-15-2014, 12:46 AM
I learned in my biology class, if I remember correctly, that giving birth after 35 years old increased the risk of having a trisomic child

Beit El
11-15-2014, 12:49 AM
The opposite. Children of older parents are more likely to have Down Syndrome and a load of other defects.

Sikeliot
11-15-2014, 12:51 AM
The age of the father doesn't make a difference, it's the mother's age that does.

Aviator
The opposite. Children of older parents are more likely to have Down Syndrome and a load of other defects.

I learned in my biology class, if I remember correctly, that giving birth after 35 years old increased the risk of having a trisomic child

Does it make a difference on which parent (as in gender) is older?

I worry that I won't be having children until my 30s because of my career path/I don't want to marry an American.

Aviator
The age of the father doesn't make a difference, it's the mother's age that does.

You ninja'd my question.

Beit El
11-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Does it make a difference on which parent (as in gender) is older?

I worry that I won't be having children until my 30s because of my career path/I don't want to marry an American.

Both should preferably be young, but the age of the mother is more important. For example, after the age of 30, 90% of a woman's eggs are gone. Forever.

wvwvw
11-15-2014, 01:31 AM

The opposite:

Father’s Age Is Linked to Risk of Autism and Schizophrenia
By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: August 22, 2012 515 Comments

Older men are more likely than young ones to father a child who develops autism or schizophrenia, because of random mutations that become more numerous with advancing paternal age, scientists reported on Wednesday, in the first study to quantify the effect as it builds each year. The age of mothers had no bearing on the risk for these disorders, the study found.

wvwvw
11-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Both should preferably be young, but the age of the mother is more important. For example, after the age of 30, 90% of a woman's eggs are gone. Forever.

Not true either:

Women over the age of 40 'have the same chance of conceiving within six months as younger women', survey claims
By ANNA HODGEKISS

PUBLISHED: 01:58 GMT, 26 June 2014 | UPDATED: 01:58 GMT, 26 June 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2669447/Women-age-40-chance-conceiving-six-months-younger-women-survey-claims.html

rhiannon
11-15-2014, 02:48 AM
The age of the father doesn't make a difference, it's the mother's age that does.This is not entirely true. Father's age does make a difference.....it just isn't responsible for the maternal nondisjunction which happens in certain trisomies.

Sehnsucht
11-15-2014, 03:16 AM

The opposite:

Father’s Age Is Linked to Risk of Autism and Schizophrenia
By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: August 22, 2012 515 Comments

Older men are more likely than young ones to father a child who develops autism or schizophrenia, because of random mutations that become more numerous with advancing paternal age, scientists reported on Wednesday, in the first study to quantify the effect as it builds each year. The age of mothers had no bearing on the risk for these disorders, the study found.

I guess I really need to hurry up and find someone to marry if I'm going to have healthy kids