PDA

View Full Version : Bulgaria and Its women

hajduk
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I found this interesting article today

Bulgaria and its women
by Hester Donaldson Jenkins
In April 1915 National Geographic published an article about Bulgaria’s women. Thus, after Bulgaria’s defeat in the Second Balkan War, Mrs. Hester Donaldson Jenkins, a professor of long standing at the American College for Girls in Istanbul, created another image of the country, not one of military courage. She offered the readers a portrait of the Bulgarian woman in the village
and in the city, along with observations on the character of the people, the traditions and the progress of the country.

Among the Oriental girls with whom I lived in my nine years’ residence in the Near East, none interested me more than the Bulgarians. They are perhaps the least Oriental of the eight or more nationalities to be found in Constantinople College, of which I was a professor.
They are fairer and brighter in coloring than the Armenians, Greeks, or Persians, rather taller and larger on an average, and have more energy and less languor than the Turk.
Bulgarian girls incline to roundness of contour and figure, many of them having round, full face, ripe, rosy mouths, and dimples. This effect is heightened by the fashion of wearing the hair in braids wound about the head. One sees plenty of dark hair in Bulgaria, but one also looks with
pleasure on warm brown tints, chestnut tresses, and occasional auburn heads. One of the most beautiful girls I ever saw was a Bulgarian, with a glorious mass of copper-colored waves, a clear pale skin, handsomely set gray eyes, a delicate mouth, and small white teeth, and the height
and carriage of a princess.
The bright cheeks that so many of the Bulgarians have are a pleasant change from the dark or pale skins of the Armenians and Greeks. Their eyes are generally less large and languorous than Oriental eyes, looking you squarely in the face, with more frankness and less seduction.
Our Bulgarian students had a certain sturdiness, an out-of doors quality, a sanity which marked them as different from the fanciful, sentimental, and weaker-nerved girls of some other nationalities. Sometimes a roughness accompanied this greater strength, and a Bulgarian hoyden was much more common than a Turkish hoyden.
One keen observer of the Bulgars says of them as a race: “The Bulgarian is truly a son of the soil, wedded to the uncompromising earth, whose very qualities he seems to have drawn into his being – unequaled obstinacy and tenacity of purpose, combined with the most practical point of view, promise great things for his race. Frugal and taciturn, he has none of the thoughtless cheeriness of the Romanian or the expansiveness of the Serb.”
There are neither the idle rich nor the abjectly poor in Bulgaria. The high and the low lead the simple life and luxuries are hard to find. The men of the country are mainly peasants, but the women nurses during the Balkan war all
paid tribute to their courteous and respectful demeanor. Mrs. St. Clair Stohart, in her “War and Women” declares that Bulgarian men of all classes could give lessons to the men of most of the nations of Europe in their attitude toward women.
A holiday in a Bulgarian village brings out a wonderful array of gaudy costumes, straight and awkward in line, but most brilliant in color decoration. The women’s big waists are usually emphasized by huge silver buckles, which stand out almost grotesquely. When, however, a girl is young and pretty, her abundant curly hair, into which is braided bright threads or ribbons, with often a flower in her ear, her bright color heightened by the gay embroideries, and her slender figure, which the straightness of her dress cannot spoil, make her an attractive vision. Of course, these gala costumes are laid aside during the working days, for there is much work, especially in the summer, when the days are long.
A girl in a Bulgarian village is not without her amusements. One of her tasks involves a social pleasure, for which she has a keen zest. As in the Bible times, all the water for a village must be drawn from one or two wells or springs, and these watering places or fountains are the scene of much sociability. Hither come all the youths and maidens of the village, and it is doubtful whether they hasten away as quickly as they might. The girls wear yokes on their shoulders, from which depend the pails they are to fill with the fresh water. Often the youths fill the pails for them: then, in return for such gallantry, they whisper a request for the flower over the maiden’s ear: or, bolder, perhaps, they steal the blossom.
The youth of Bulgaria, as you see, are allowed to meet freely, the sexes not being kept apart as are the Moslems. There is coquetting
and courting about the fountain and home gatherings in the evenings. Marriages spring from mutual attraction and choice rather than the arrangement of families, as do Armenian and Turkish alliances.

Let us leave the village and follow the Bulgarian woman to the city, watch her take schooling and acquire culture, and see how she uses it. Fifty years ago there were no Bulgarian cities – only great, straggling Turkish villages. Now there are a number of very creditable modern towns. Sofia, the capital and seat of court and parliament, is of rather remarkable growth. When I visited the regular, new city, my first feeling was disappointment: for it is flat, devoid of picturesqueness, and at first sight uninteresting. But after all is it not interesting that a people so recently a set of down-trodden slaves, living in chaos, should now have a city of well paved and lighted streets, comfortable houses, an occasional monument, a plain, substantial royal palace, a public garden, and a well-equipped hotel and shops?
The young ladies who showed me over their city were very proud of their schools and parliament building, which I naturally found very ordinary, and I confess to being bored by being taken all over the fine new post-office and into every little room. But later it seemed to me to be significant that the things of most note in Sofia were the really useful and progressive factors in
a modern city’s life – not galleries and museums and bazaars. Sofia has no past that it cares to perpetuate. The old and valued traditions of Bulgaria cling about the ancient capital of Tirnova or the famous Rila Monastery, but they mean far less to modern, growing Bulgaria than does unromantic Sofia.
Philipopolis is far more attractive than Sofia. Built on seven sharply pointed hills, it is very effective as you approach it by train. It is a transition town, partly old Turkish bazaars and gray, old houses, partly new and modern streets and buildings. It aspires to be a second Sofia, but I am glad that nature will always give it some beauty, even if it lose all its Oriental charm. One little detail may serve to show the different stages of progress in the two cities. In the best hotel in Philipopolis the pillows on the beds are as hard as if they were a pile of folded sheets, while in the Sofia hotel they are of feathers. The Bulgarians have shown themselves eager for education and for civilization, and their women acquire culture with the ease of the traditional American woman. Often the daughter of an unlettered peasant, living in a remote village, after some years of schooling will take her place in
Sofia or Varna as a teacher, or lady of fashion, or leader in civic betterment. Her peasant costume and knitted footwear she exchanges for a European dress in excellent taste. The heavy, falling braids of her hair she now arranges in the fashion of the day. Her manner becomes assured yet
modest, and she takes her place as leader of a woman’s reading club or member of a hospital board with proper dignity.

Our Bulgarian students are among the best in college. Of good health, considerable industry, ambition, and sometimes real ability, they are a most interesting group to teach, rewarding the teacher for labor expended on them. They are good linguists, as are most of the Orientals, and
in their keen interest in modern developments and their sense of a remote past are very rapidly developing into enthusiastic students of history.
There can be no question that if the Bulgarian people are allowed to develop their country and themselves – and they will do so if they can enjoy the advantages of a long period of peace and satisfactory commercial relations with their neighbors near and far – that the rapid progress of this people in every way will astonish the world, and, to say the least, disabuse the minds of many who now think Bulgaria in a more or less semi-savage state and peopled by a race who would rather fight than not. This development is especially true as regards the Bulgarian women, who, being possessors of quick, alert minds, respond rapidly to educational advantages, and
I am quite sure that their sisters throughout the world will have no reason to be ashamed of them.

Eldritch
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Bulgarian girls incline to roundness of contour and figure, many of them having round, full face, ripe, rosy mouths, and dimples. This effect is heightened by the fashion of wearing the hair in braids wound about the head. One sees plenty of dark hair in Bulgaria, but one also looks with
pleasure on warm brown tints, chestnut tresses, and occasional auburn heads. One of the most beautiful girls I ever saw was a Bulgarian, with a glorious mass of copper-colored waves, a clear pale skin, handsomely set gray eyes, a delicate mouth, and small white teeth, and the height
and carriage of a princess.

.... :rolleyes2:

I wonder if the wonderfully eloquent Mrs.Jenkins, the directrix of a boarding school for girls, was also a fan of poetry by Sappho?

Trun
08-14-2013, 09:34 AM
So true.