PDA

View Full Version : Classify French Environmentalists

guyinsf
11-17-2014, 05:32 PM
These were the first 5 faces that popped up on Google when I did a search for French environmentalists.
Classify and place them in countries where you think they would best fit.
You can do each individually or as a group.

http://i.imgur.com/MuUBEDb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SIZ7NK1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3MebrYN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/inDlz4y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7cWuUiq.jpg

guyinsf
11-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Some input please guys. Thanks.

Ctwentysevenj
11-19-2014, 05:38 AM
Tree huggers.

guyinsf
11-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Tree huggers.

Yes they are tree huggers, can you classify and place them?

WOOHP
11-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Sub-Nordids/Borreby-Alpinoids

Tooting Carmen
11-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Sub-Nordids/Borreby-Alpinoids

Something like that.

barbatus
11-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Tree huggers.

i was JUST about to post this. Anyways, they look like Quebecois to me. There's many French-Canadians that look like this. To me it is a western French/Celtic look.

D´Sanglard
11-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Subnordis, borreby, alpine and atlandid. Pass in all central european countries

guyinsf
11-21-2014, 02:07 AM
i was JUST about to post this. Anyways, they look like Quebecois to me. There's many French-Canadians that look like this. To me it is a western French/Celtic look.

The first 3 are northerners and the last 2 are from the southeast and southwest of france.
Quebec people are mostly descendants of central western france and normandy right?

barbatus
11-21-2014, 02:09 AM
The first 3 are northerners and the last 2 are from the southeast and southwest of france.
Quebec people are mostly descendants of central western france and normandy right?

Poitou and Brittany, mostly

KawaiiKawaii
11-21-2014, 02:10 AM
:D the last one is José Bovet, the "Mcdonalds destructor". They all look French.

D´Sanglard
11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
:D the last one is José Bovet, the "Mcdonalds destructor". They all look French.

Joseph Bové;)

KawaiiKawaii
11-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Joseph Bové;)

Actually, José Bové. His official name is Joseph, but it's never used. I put a t at the end because that's how it's written in Switzerland, sorry.

Ouistreham
11-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Just for your information: José Bové uses to present himself as a typical grassroots French farmer, but his mother is from a wealthy family of South-Western France and his father is from Luxembourg (also from an affluent background).

D´Sanglard
11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Actually, José Bové. His official name is Joseph, but it's never used. I put a t at the end because that's how it's written in Switzerland, sorry.

I noted tha many swiss-french surnames ended in "t", "y". In Switzerland swiss-french are around 20 %, right? Are you swiss-french or swiss-german?

D´Sanglard
11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Just for your information: José Bové uses to present himself as a typical grassroots French farmer, but his mother is from a wealthy family of South-Western France and his father is from Luxembourg (also from an affluent background).

Like many leftitsts. It´s easy to act like him when his rich.

Btw, Ouistreham, How many luxembourgers(in percentage )have french ancenstry ( in your opinion)?

I know the country well and have many immigrants, but real luxembourguers are mix beetween us + germans( Germans are the majority). IMO, it´s the same percentage of Switzerland

Ouistreham
11-21-2014, 03:48 PM
I noted tha many swiss-french surnames ended in "t", "y". In Switzerland swiss-french are around 20 %, right? Are you swiss-french or swiss-german?

No.
Actually, typical French Swiss surnames end with -od, oud, aud, -az, oz, -ey (like in Savoy).
But French Switzerland has also attracted lots of Huguenots from all over, therefore even typical Languedocian names are strangely frequent.
Furthermore, it had a French style demography, i.e. low births rates, and migratory pressure from other parts of Switzerland was and still is quite strong. Even in the countryside near Geneva you find lots of people who call themselves Müller, Stucki, Maurer, Eschenbach, Bucher etc.! Italian names are also very widespread.

Btw, Ouistreham, How many luxembourgers(in percentage )have french ancenstry ( in your opinion)?

I know the country well and have many immigrants, but real luxembourguers are mix beetween us + germans( Germans are the majority). IMO, it´s the same percentage of Switzerland
Switzerland and Luxembourg are two completely different cases.

Switzerland consists of unilingual territories. Bilingual places (like the Eastern part of Fribourg, or Biel/Bienne) are exceptions. There is a clear divide as for mindsets, traditions, and even the kind of breakfast they have in the morning! (this frontier is called Röstigraben — too long to elaborate...). But those strong identities are the reason Swiss federalism is so robust perhaps.

Luxembourg is something all different. It used to be part of a larger Luxembourg that was like Lorraine, both French and German, with a large bilingual area. When Belgium went independent in 1830 the Western half joined it (but included many German speaking localities) while the most German part became the Grand-Duchy as we know it (but included also some Walloon villages).

Judging by the share of German surnames in Luxembourg (at least 90%) the Grand-Duchy is overwhelmingly Germanic, but bilingualism (actually tri-lingualism when including the Luxemburger dialect!) has been preserved as being part of the national identity. Any true Luxembourger is supposed to speak Luxembourgish at home, to be 100% fluent in both French and German — and to speak English at the job when welcoming international tax evaders.

Ulla
11-21-2014, 03:55 PM
No.
Actually, typical French Swiss surnames end with -od, oud, aud, -az, oz, -ey (like in Savoy).
But French Switzerland has also attracted lots of Huguenots from all over, therefore even typical Languedocian names are strangely frequent.
Furthermore, it had a French style demography, i.e. low births rates, and migratory pressure from other parts of Switzerland was and still is quite strong. Even in the countryside near Geneva you find lots of people who call themselves Müller, Stucki, Maurer, Eschenbach, Bucher etc.! Italian names are also very widespread.

In Geneva there was also a huge Italian protestant community around XVI century AD. As I know, most of them have Frenchified their surnames.

D´Sanglard
11-21-2014, 04:19 PM
No.

Switzerland and Luxembourg are two completely different cases.

Switzerland consists of unilingual territories. Bilingual places (like the Eastern part of Fribourg, or Biel/Bienne) are exceptions. There is a clear divide as for mindsets, traditions, and even the kind of breakfast they have in the morning! (this frontier is called Röstigraben — too long to elaborate...). But those strong identities are the reason Swiss federalism is so robust perhaps.

Luxembourg is something all different. It used to be part of a larger Luxembourg that was like Lorraine, both French and German, with a large bilingual area. When Belgium went independent in 1830 the Western half joined it (but included many German speaking localities) while the most German part became the Grand-Duchy as we know it (but included also some Walloon villages).

Judging by the share of German surnames in Luxembourg (at least 90%) the Grand-Duchy is overwhelmingly Germanic, but bilingualism (actually tri-lingualism when including the Luxemburger dialect!) has been preserved as being part of the national identity. Any true Luxembourger is supposed to speak Luxembourgish at home, to be 100% fluent in both French and German — and to speak English at the job when welcoming international tax evaders.

Yeah I saw surnames like Henchoz, Carraz, Vey, but I also find many Monnerat, Curty, Mury, because of this i was confuse. And it´s normal to see a french sepaker in Switzerland with german or italian surname. I think out of 10. 5 swiss-french have french surnames, 3 or 4 germans and 2 or 1 italian. But they consider themselves swiss-french.

And I also know about the different mindsets that ocurred on the Cantons. Fribourg is Bilingual and it´s very interesting.

About Luxembourg, since the Grand-Duchy became independent in 1890(House of Nassau and now Bourbon-Parma-Nassau) i always considered them like an extension of Lorraine. When I was there, i observed that they trend to speak french with foreigners. And typical Luxembourgers have french name and german surname, but I saw a significant french minority wich was my doubt.

Merci, vos explications ont été claires et utiles.:thumb001: