PDA

View Full Version : Share a story of family disowning other family if you have one

Stefan_Dusan
11-20-2014, 02:29 AM
This is a spinoff of my other thread but might as well share, it's part of Balkan/European culture.

Back in time of communist Yugoslavia, apparently my father's first cousin romantically fell in love with a Croatian. I'm not sure on exact story (he was in the JNA and met her) but she ended up falling in love as do many young women. Her father was against it, for reasons unclear to me. It could be because he was Croatian or for other reasons, the Croatian part didn't help for sure. She ended up defying her father and running away and marrying him. They moved to Beograd, in the process she tried to reconnect with her family only to find a father telling her he doesn't recognize her as his daughter anymore. I guess they made several attempts to come back into contact, after their first son was born (and only to my knowledge) but no such luck.

How I fit into this is apparently my father and this cousin were very close until the marriage. And she/they several times reached out specifically to my father's family however no luck with my father either. But when I began to dig for information on my father, my mother directed me to them, and that's how I learned the story for the first time. Not only did the family disown them, they kept it fairly well a secret, that I was 27 before I actually knew this story.

Well the twist on all this is she has Alzheimer's developed some years ago I guess. In her current state, she can't move at all and is spoon fed food. I happened to visit him and her last September. He looked in great condition, energetic and emotional, his mother slaving after her, keeping her alive.

The first thing he said to me "To me, I just love family. Whoever they are, and wherever they are". I think he was deliberately doing a jab on my father's family. I found out he has a weekend home near Split, Croatia but cannot go to it because he is so dedicated to my aunt and nursing her in what is her last moments. And it was the first time I saw her if you can call what I see her. What struck me in all of this was his dedicated love for her, I felt very moved to sadness by his persistence in everything and how he felt very hurt the fact the family rejected her even in death. He wanted me to see their son, technically my cousin, but he was in Croatia. He invited me to that weekend home some time even though it was tacit invitation upon her death.

When I saw some family, I brought her up, the younger generations didn't even know and the older generations snorted. They tried to cast her as "too free and loose woman" in an attempt to shame her, which I couldn't tell if was true or just wild rumors.

Up to this moment, I never felt disowning was a big punishment, but something about this incident felt heavy in its totality. Share your experiences anyways.

Guapo
11-20-2014, 02:38 AM
I love your stories

alfieb
11-20-2014, 03:09 AM
My cousin on mom's side got pregnant by a black guy. Her parents disowned her and most of the extended family did as well. I tried to keep a relationship with her, but she only contacted me when she needed money, so now we don't talk.

JohnSmith
11-20-2014, 03:11 AM
My Grandmother has disowned some of my cousins because of who they married.

Sikeliot
11-20-2014, 03:11 AM
My cousin on mom's side got pregnant by a black guy. Her parents disowned her and most of the extended family did as well. I tried to keep a relationship with her, but she only contacted me when she needed money, so now we don't talk.

One of my cousins on my Sicilian side got pregnant by a black guy, her son is my brother's age now (16). He is 1/4 Dominican, 1/4 African American and 1/2 Sicilian, but he looks like our side and fully Sicilian so the family forgave it quicker.

Stefan_Dusan
11-20-2014, 03:16 AM
One of my cousins on my Sicilian side got pregnant by a black guy, her son is my brother's age now (16). He is 1/4 Dominican, 1/4 African American and 1/2 Sicilian, but he looks like our side and fully Sicilian so the family forgave it quicker.

I'm lost are you saying someone with that mix looks fully Sicilian and how is that possible?

JohnSmith
11-20-2014, 03:18 AM

Have you ever heard Lisa Lampanelli's stand up on interracial dating it is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY_y2FRS6K8

Sikeliot
11-20-2014, 03:27 AM
I'm lost are you saying someone with that mix looks fully Sicilian and how is that possible?

Well he shows very vague evidence of being mixed, but someone not trained in anthropology could think he looked fully Sicilian, and he looks exactly like the other male members of my family -- my dad, uncle, cousins etc.

Gustave H
11-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Some very distant family member of mine that I've never even met married an Iranian woman and everyone in my family disowned him.

JohnSmith
11-20-2014, 03:42 AM
Some very distant family member of mine that I've never even met married an Iranian woman and everyone in my family disowned him.

Why were they disowned because they were Iranian or because they were Muslim or something?

Mortimer
11-20-2014, 03:45 AM
I dont know anyone in my family who disowned someone, raising concerns about some decisions yes, being butthurt and angry yes, but disowning no. My grandfather was butthurt because my aunt had a child with a married man, and she was single etc. but the guy was married. so he was butthurt etc. and angry but then he accepted it etc. sometimes he would still made a negative comment but that was it.

Gustave H
11-20-2014, 03:48 AM
Why were they disowned because they were Iranian or because they were Muslim or something?

Probably both. No one speaks of him and everyone gets angry with me when I mention him so I don't even attempt to get more information anymore.

Guapo
11-20-2014, 03:48 AM
I dont know anyone in my family who disowned someone, raising concerns about some decisions yes, being butthurt and angry yes, but disowning no. My grandfather was butthurt because my aunt had a child with a married man, and she was single etc. but the guy was married. so he was butthurt etc. and angry but then he accepted it etc. sometimes he would still made a negative comment but that was it.

Lol bestest post evr

Methmatician
11-20-2014, 03:52 AM
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but my grandmother cut all contact with one of her sons (my uncle). What's worse is they live next to each other.

Incal
11-20-2014, 03:52 AM
I never heard of those things until I joined the forum lol.

Guapo
11-20-2014, 03:55 AM
I never heard of those things until I joined the forum lol.

Same here.

Stefan_Dusan
11-20-2014, 03:55 AM
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but my grandmother cut all contact with one of her sons (my uncle). What's worse is they live next to each other.

lol that's the same thing but why did she do it? That actually happens quite a bit in the Balkans because people don't move.

Guapo
11-20-2014, 04:00 AM
lol that's the same thing but why did she do it? That actually happens quite a bit in the Balkans because people don't move.

He probably didnt come by more often

Mazik
11-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Lol bestest post evr

Never seen so many "etc" in 1 and a half sentence before :eek:

Guapo
11-20-2014, 04:05 AM
Never seen so many "etc" in 1 and a half sentence before :eek:

butthurt etc butthurt etc butthut etc xD

Guapo
11-20-2014, 04:09 AM
My mom's cousin killed his wife and mother-in-law for being naggy bitches. How's that for a story?

Methmatician
11-20-2014, 04:12 AM
Land (property) dispute.

Methmatician
11-20-2014, 04:13 AM
My mom's cousin killed his wife and mother-in-law for being naggy bitches. How's that for a story?
Did he happen to be Montenegrin?

Guapo
11-20-2014, 04:15 AM
Did he happen to be Montenegrin?

No, just fed up.

Stefan_Dusan
11-20-2014, 04:21 AM
Land (property) dispute.

Another sad story but some of some of my cousins (2nd cousins to my father) killed each other over a land dispute. The father gave them fractions of the property, basically he gave one a room in the house, another different room. But one of them had a family in the house and wanted it all for himself. Cut a long story another came and locked himself in one of the rooms, and the other angrily fired into the door, accidentally hitting and killing the guy on the other side.

al Marawy
11-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Ya mnyakah yahoods

Guapo
11-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Ya mnyakah yahoods

http://i.imgur.com/i8T8iyU.jpg

Methmatician
11-20-2014, 04:29 AM
Another sad story but some of some of my cousins (2nd cousins to my father) killed each other over a land dispute. The father gave them fractions of the property, basically he gave one a room in the house, another different room. But one of them had a family in the house and wanted it all for himself. Cut a long story another came and locked himself in one of the rooms, and the other angrily fired into the door, accidentally hitting and killing the guy on the other side.
You're relatives don't seem to think very rationally. Did he think there was no chance of his bullets hitting him?

Stefan_Dusan
11-20-2014, 04:31 AM
You're relatives don't seem to think very rationally. Did he think there was no chance of his bullets hitting him?

I have no idea on that one. Probably not, since he is very apologetic on it now, he went to prison, his family basically suffered the most.

Methmatician
11-20-2014, 04:42 AM
I have no idea on that one. Probably not, since he is very apologetic on it now, he went to prison, his family basically suffered the most.
Ah, okay. I was thought he felt no remorse for it all.

Hubal
11-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Ya mnyakah yahoods

Oulak illi bass meen 'allam abouk tihki heek, damma't 'yuni alla yedamma' 'yunak ya aadir a karim

Myth
05-04-2015, 06:58 AM
I don't think anyone particularly disowned each other in our family, my mom is German and my dad was Jewish. It did cause tremendous family issues however.

My dads father was not happy at all that my father was marrying a German let alone a convert (Kohanim have very strict rules against marrying converts due to oral tradition of being descended from priests and so restrictions are strict who they can marry), my mother never the less converted to Judaism, my grandfather from what she claims had called her some pretty awful names and did not accept my mother very well at all, my mother came from a traditional catholic background. Eventually my dad became estranged with his father and we were not allowed to see my grandpa, I don't recall him particularly saying anything bad about my brother and I but my father died with very much hatred for his father. This is the only thing I can think of.