PDA

View Full Version : Men owe women for 'creating beer'

Liffrea
04-17-2010, 03:49 PM
One of man’s great pleasures might be a pint of beer at the local – but an expert has claimed it would never have existed without the entrepreneurial skills of women.
Author Jane Peyton, said women created beer and for thousands of years it was only they who were allowed to operate breweries and drink beer.

Peyton has conducted extensive research into the origins of beer for a new book and reports that a woman's touch was found on beer throughout the ages. Nearly 7,000 years ago in Mesopotamia and Sumeria, so important were their skills that they were the only ones allowed to brew the drink or run any taverns. And in almost all ancient societies beer was also then considered to be a gift from a goddess, never a male God.

Between the eighth and tenth centuries AD the Vikings spread terror by rampaging through Europe, fuelled by women-made ale. Women were the exclusive brewers in Norse society and all equipment by law remained their property. And Ancient Finland also credits the creation of beer to the fairer sex, with a bear's saliva and wild honey the apparent first ingredients.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146413836

:Lightbeer:

Tabiti
04-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, I've read the same. Beer is even more healthy for women because the amount of phytoestrogenes (female hormons). Don't know why men consume it more.

Wulfhere
04-17-2010, 04:01 PM
So why do they complain so much when men get drunk?

Bloodeagle
04-17-2010, 04:26 PM
And in almost all ancient societies beer was also then considered to be a gift from a goddess, never a male God.

Women being more sensitive and receptive to emotion were considered by men to be closer to the Magickal side of life.
The art of brewing, in the ancient world, was considered a Magickal art!
Anything surrounding a cauldron, was women's work.
Woman in ancient societies were often left in charge of such Magickal tasks.

Cauldron

The cauldron is a symbol of transmutation, germination, and transformation. But above all is symbolizes the womb, and therefore, is a Goddess symbol as well. In Celtic lore the cauldron is the symbol of the Underworld. In Greek and Roman mythology the cauldron was hidden in a cave. From this, the cauldron is a mystery symbol of Wicca/Witchcraft. The Cauldron Mysteries are an integral part of the Wiccan Mythos. Some of the most famous cauldrons are found in Celtic lore. For example, the Daghda cauldron that provided sufficient food for everyone, and the cauldron of Bran the Blessed that conferred rebirth. There also is the Gundestrup cauldron.

The belief that the cauldron symbolizes the womb of the Great Goddess arises from the concept that everything is born out of it and returns to it. The original cauldron symbols were gourds, wooden vessels, or large shells. Eventually the symbolism of metal cauldrons became linked to the hearth and home because they were used to cook meals. This latter aspect merged the Great Goddess with the Great Mother, as the cauldron combined them into a single deity.

Cauldrons have held a magical significance in many cultures throughout the centuries. In ancient Ireland, it was believed, cauldrons were never been depleted of food during feasts. In ancient times they were use for human sacrifice, which was related to death and rebirth. In Greek mythology the Witch goddess Medea restored people to youth in a magic cauldron. Some relate the cauldron to the Holy Grail (since the Grail is supposedly the chalice used by Christ at the Last Supper), and speculate this was why some Christians were not too eager to seek the Grail because of its association with the cauldron and the Goddess.

Also the caldron has alchemic associations to some of the vessels used by alchemists in their experiments. A.G.H.

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/salem/images/calef_illus2_1828.jpg

Tabiti
04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Men for battles, women for magic and rituals - ancient gender roles, existing even among the South and Meso - American civilizations.

SwordoftheVistula
04-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Makes sense, since it is just another form of cooking, and women would have encountered fermented yeast which is suspected of how beer brewing was discovered.

Beer is even more healthy for women because the amount of phytoestrogenes (female hormons).

I guess that explains why men become emotional and call their ex sobbing at 3am when they are drunk

Wonder if Vodka has the reverse because it seems to make people angry and violent, or perhaps that is just because vodka is favored by Russians and skinheads

Piparskeggr
04-18-2010, 02:37 AM
Modernly, I disagree...I taught my wife to brew and the revival of craft brewing has been led by men.

Having been a brewer for over 35 years, I have to emphasize that brewing has not been, until recently, an endeavor in which women have participated (at least here in the US of A).

Brynhild
04-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Hmm, so women can ultimately be blamed for all the Viking rampages that the men caused? That would be the first line of defence, wouldn't it?:eek:

Óttar
04-18-2010, 02:59 AM
4 out of 4 ancient Babylonians agree...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/Kalidasa/babylonian_booty_beer.jpg

The ladies love their beer. :D

Cynodon
04-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Men owe women for 'creating beer'

But women owe us for drinking the stuff they created.

SwordoftheVistula
04-18-2010, 07:41 AM
4 out of 4 ancient Babylonians agree...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/Kalidasa/babylonian_booty_beer.jpg

The ladies love their beer. :D

Hmm, maybe it was ugly women who invented beer :eek:

http://ephemerist.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/beer_goggles3.jpg