PDA

View Full Version : Bomb kills two Dutch marines in Afghanistan

The Lawspeaker
04-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Bomb kills two Dutch marines in Afghanistan (http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/dutch-rss-news/bomb-kills-two-dutch-marines-in-afghanistan_37799.html)

Two Dutch soldiers were killed in a bomb attack in the southern Afghan province of Uruzgan on Saturday, the defence ministry said in The Hague.
"I can confirm that two Dutch marines have died" while on patrol with Afghan police and army members in the Deh Reshan region around 1100 GMT, ministry spokesman Otte Beeksma told AFP.

Corporal Jeroen Houweling, 29, and private Marc Harders, 23, were killed when the armoured patrol vehicle they were travelling in struck an improvised explosive device.

A third Dutch marine, 21, was seriously injured in the explosion.
Defence Minister Eimert van Middelkoop was "deeply saddened by the loss of these two brave marines," added Beeksma.
"They gave their lives for a better world and a better future for the Afghan people," he quoted the minister as saying.
Around 1,950 Dutch troops are deployed in Afghanistan under the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
Twenty-three Dutch soldiers have died since the Dutch mission started in 2006.

Dutch troops are set to start withdrawing from Uruzgan in August, to be completed by year-end.
The Dutch government collapsed in February in a spat over whether to extend the deployment.

Piparskeggr
04-18-2010, 02:28 AM
As a veteran, I salute these brothers in arms.

Murphy
04-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Should never have been there in the first place.. :(.

The Lawspeaker
04-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Lions.. led by donkeys. I feel for their families and for the country as a whole.
25 good men died (2 in Iraq, 23 in Afghanistan) for Wallstreet.

RoyBatty
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
"They gave their lives for a better world and a better future for the Afghan people," he quoted the minister as saying.

Why do our "fearless leaders" keep repeating these lies? :confused:

It would be nice if the roles were reversed and they were the ones in the firing line instead. :mad:

Don
04-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Stupid war. Our soldiers dying in foreigner and unpleasant lands while ours are getting tainted.
Yesterday 4 spanish soldiers died in Haiti... helping, as Spaniards always do in foreign lands.
But those deaths and all anonymous sacrifices won't change our stigma. Seems we, europeans, are condemned to pour our blood in senseless causes. We owe everything to everyone.

Puddle of Mudd
04-18-2010, 10:58 AM
What are they dying over there for again?

Piparskeggr
04-18-2010, 03:35 PM
What are they dying over there for again?

After the first US versus Iraq war, I left the service because I just did not know anymore.

2_ruRSCW7B4