PDA

View Full Version : “X-Woman” coexisted with Neanderthals and modern humans 40,000 years ago

Liffrea
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Washington, March 25 (ANI): A new study has suggested that an unknown type of human, nicknamed “X-Woman,” coexisted with Neanderthals and our own species between 30,000 to 50,000 years ago.

According to a report in Discovery News, the as-of-yet-unnamed new human species represents the first time that a hominid has been described not from the structure of its fossilized bones, but from the sequence of its DNA.

Researchers focused on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), genes passed down from mothers to their children – hence the X-Woman nickname.

Her mtDNA shows that X-Woman shared a common ancestor with Neanderthals and modern humans one million years ago, so X-Woman and her species likely migrated out of Africa 500,000 years before the ancestors of Neanderthals left Africa.

http://www.24worldnews.com/x-woman-coexisted-with-neanderthals-and-modern-humans-40000-years-ago/6193/

Wulfhere
04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
A whole human species of women? Wow.

Arne
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
And if the Whole Human Race descend from Africa, does it mean they were black ?
It sounds almost unreal that the whole Continent including Asia spread from Africa.
We don´t know it for sure..
Or do we ?
How many Corrections do they did ?
For Example they thought the Earth is only a plate.

Liffrea
04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ead
And if the Whole Human Race descend from Africa, does it mean they were black ?

Not black as in Negroid, no. Negroids evolved from an (if you accept OOA) ancestral population as well. Most things I have read seem to consider the ancestral human population as closer to bushmen, how accurate that is I don’t know.

We don´t know it for sure..
Or do we ?

No we don’t know for sure but most scientists support OOA theory, it is far from being water tight, though, and I suspect archaic populations in Europe, Asia and Africa had an impact.

Agrippa
04-20-2010, 07:03 PM
If you want to take a view on the ancestral groups of mankind, the most archaic specimens, just look at Australids (Australian Aborigines), Bambutids (African Pygmies) and Sanids (African Bushpeople).

Negrids are a later and in comparison already more evolved branch even, with a potentially higher proportion of Eurasian back-migration (progressive genetic "update"). This is most striking in a comparison of the most and least affected Negroids.

Aethiopids are a category on their own, much closer to Eurasians/Europids than the rest and the partition between the primitive Palaeafricans and "the rest" most likely took place even before the modern Homo sapiens made its way out of Africa. They were isolated from each other before already, which means even if they came to Eurasia latter, that doesnt mean there was total intermixture before that time.

Lenny
04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
her species likely migrated out of Africa 500,000 years before the ancestors of Neanderthals left Africa.
Jeez. "Out-of-Africa" is really a lot like geocentrism. It totally distorts everyone's paradigm. No one can even conceive of evolutionary history anymore not originating-in and centering-on Africa.

Notice something here:
The article states explicitly that they have no fossil remains of this posited humanoid racial type, so cannot be sure of anything. Yet they casually declare "...when this species left Africa...".:rolleyes2:

Why do we assume that Africa is such a roaring hot-spot of evolutionary pressure for human beings? That all new species necessarily originate there? (Even though we know of Erectus outside Africa dating back 2million years). Evolutionary pressures are generally weak in Africa. It is Eurasia where there are more evolutionary pressures.

Agrippa
04-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Evolutionary pressures are generally weak in Africa. It is Eurasia where there are more evolutionary pressures.

Before Homo sapiens, there was a huge problem, namely that Eurasia had pressures which led to one sided adaptation. This changed only with the much higher evolved and elaborated modern human biological and cultural inventar and even then in the extreme parts of Eurasia one sided developments took place.

I think East Africa is for what we know about early Homo sapiens the primary Biodynamic centre (body proportions f.e.), it makes sense from many perspectives (including genetics) and to this day East Africa is not known for primitive traits like especially the tropical forest regions.

And the tropical regions were those which early humans primarily inhabited outside of the warm-dry favourable climate.

Also I wouldnt go too far with all those speculations about the "X-woman", yet they used the same chronology as they use it for other mtDNA haplogroups. So the best way to criticise that would be to prove that most mtDNA chronologies made up so far dont fit in.

Because if f.e. the chronology and ancestral position of mtDNA haplogroup H is correct, it makes sense to use the same method for this new "X-woman", even though the "bug-factor" should be much higher in that case (standing alone, MUCH bigger time frame etc.), it gives a direction.

Cato
04-21-2010, 02:57 AM
I can see science inventing yet another species of human or human ancestor. A couple of weeks ago it was some australopithecus, now this. They've already gone and found Hobbits, and soon I expect them to find Dwarves and Elves.

Agrippa
04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Point is, as long as not one successful human group colonised the rest of the world in a relatively short time, we deal with various older Hominids which were not as successful, but successful enough to get out of Africa and survive elsewhere.

Its just what you have to expect if there are hundreds of thousands of years between those events. I mean just imagine Nordid, Sinid, Indianid, Bambutid and Australid would have been separated not for some 10.000, but many 100.000 years. Limited to a small and completely isolated habitat. Obviously they would differ MUCH, MUCH more than they actually do.

Now the much more progressive Homo sapiens moved into Eurasia, found all those rests of earlier strata and made clear who's the boss and future of mankind.

Simple as that.

The same happened between various Homo sapiens branches later and if modern civilisation wouldnt intefere, its clear that some racial forms which still exist today would have been eliminated already or disappear in the next 10.000 years at least.

Just think about the Bambutids or Sanids, if they survive its because Europeans interfered and the Negritids just exist because they lived on isolated islands, like Australids, living on an isolated continent...

Osweo
04-29-2010, 03:16 PM
The bone, probably from a child, was found at Denisova Cave in the Altai Mountains of southern Siberia.
THere's tons of stuff on the cave on the RuNet.
It appears there's a tourist thing nearby, that does guided tours and the like. Archaeologists have been digging in it since 1977, apparently.
Lots of pics of the palaeolithic finds here, and pics of the cave;
http://evolbiol.ru/deniska.htm
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0_% D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%89%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B0
http://www.turistka.ru/altai/info.php?ob=3

An ideallly placed cave, indeed;
http://www.turistka.ru/oim/s_denisova_01.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Turist_den-peschera.jpg/800px-Turist_den-peschera.jpg
(Socks and sandals? NOT a problem in Russland! :D)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Den_peschera_anui.jpg/800px-Den_peschera_anui.jpg

I'm reminded of a lone archaeologist I read about in one of COlin THubron's books, who insisted on having found stone tools under the permafrost in Siberia from a million years ago or more, complaining of not being taken seriously....

I'm also reminded of the Alma... :p
http://zagadki.claw.ru/shared/024.htm :D ... :ohwell: ... :strokebeard:

Two-legged creatures rise up to five meters

When the western media comes to Bigfoot, almost always as its habitat are considered the Himalayas. Mysterious Pithecanthropus, similar to the yeti, are often heard of in the mountain of Altai, in the Gobi Desert, South Mongolia, in Dzungaria and in the Tien Shan. In the west, they were seen in the Pamir Mountains, in Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, and even in the Caucasus. Not rare are meetings with a wild man in the Siberia vastnesses. In the east, these creatures are known by some 50 different names, depending on location. The most common of them, perhaps, the Mongolian word "alma".

Today, especially in Russian universities, the question of the existence of Pithecanthropus put seriously. Over the last 2-3 decades anthropologists from the former Soviet Union have equipped more than one search expedition. Scientists have discovered a lot of tracks and made plaster imprints on them. In addition, there was a significant amount of testimony of people personally met Bigfoot.

In 1980, Nina Grinyova, then another 18-year-old participant of the research team, experienced in the mountains of Tajikistan with almom, who she gave the nickname Gosha:

His eyes were large and passionate...

"He was standing about 25 meters away and drilled me with his eyes, penetrating to the depths. In his view there was no aggression, more benevolence, but he seemed very keen. His eyes are large and passionate ... I saw that his body covered with hair, but I will not name it shaggy . Perhaps his hair was wet. In any case, it gave a silvery sheen. His height was at 2 m. The figure rather stocky and broad. He stood erect. His neck is short. The head is a little thrust forward, his hands freely hanging. He was leaning a little forward. I did not feel fear when I saw him, and walked slowly to him. After about five steps forward, I handed him a rubber toy in the shape of a bird and a couple of times push it to sound to attract attention Gosha. Toy squeaked shrilly. But it spoiled everything. Gosha suddenly turned and rushed headlong down the slope to the river and disappeared behind the slope. I noticed, however soft and flexible, were his movements, despite the great speed. Man it is not. It was more like the gait of a beast, maybe a panther. Despite the boulders and other obstacles, he ran fast, plastic and even graceful. He must have an excellent sense of balance. On a bumpy hill he flew like over a bridge.

Other countless accounts from the 1970s and 1980s describe meetings with beings from the description exactly coincident with the portrait of this ape-man. Some older people told researchers that they or the residents of remote villages of the Soviet managed to catch an Alma. They initially tried to keep the creature locked up, but soon released, because they do not touch their food and looked very depressed. On the testimony of B.C. Karapetyan, Lieutenant Colonel of the Medical Service of the Soviet Army in 1941, about 30 km from the town of Buinaksk was arrested an Alma on suspicion of spying, which he has subjected to an investigation. Medical Officer reported:

"I still vividly imagine this creature. This was a male. He stood before me naked with bare feet. No doubt this was a man from his whole appearance. But the chest, back and shoulders covered brown hairy coat, strongly reminiscent of a bear's skin. The length of the hair was from 2 to 3 cm below the chest hairs were thinner and softer. Wrists heavy and almost no hair. On the palms and soles hair was absent. But the hair growing on his head, reached down to his shoulders and covered part of the forehead. In addition, they seemed to feel stiff to the touch. There being no beard and mustache, but his face covered with a light fuzz. The hair around the mouth were short and infrequent. He stood absolutely straight with hands down. He was taller than average, about 1,8 m. He stood before me like a giant, thrusting out his mighty chest. His fingers are thick, strong and incredibly long. In general, it was much bigger than any resident of this area ...

Disguised spy?

I am told, from the moment of detention he refused to eat and water. He did not ask for anything and did not utter a sound. While being kept in a warm room, he was sweating badly ... He reacted to nothing. I verbally declared the results of my test: it is not a disguised man, and really wild creature of unknown species. "

A story recorded by Dr. Marie-Jean Coffman in the Caucasus. Of course, the language of military report strongly differed from the free style of the scientist. In the last century, as say locals, Alma sometimes helped farmers during the field work, and in the Ochamchir region in Abkhazia, one female alma not difficult even perform household chores such as collecting firewood, grind flour. Moreover, she had children from human fathers. " Unfortunately, it is every time after giving birth to bathe newborn babies in the river, and the children could not survive the ice bath. Subsequently, the villagers were in time to take away her babies, and four of these children survived. They have grown to almost normal men and women. Zana herself died at the end of XIX century. and was buried.

In 1964, Dr. Boris Porshnev, another Russian investigator of this problem, found two grandchildren of a female Alma. Scientists say they have dark skin, and they look a certain extent as blacks. In Alma's grandson is very well developed jaw muscles, and he is so strong that "only with teeth he can lift a chair with a man sitting on it.

Mother - Bigfoot, father - a man

Since the 1950's. Reports of wild men are increasingly emerging in China. Along with signs, hair and excreta, Chinese scientists in 1980 first found the shelter of a Pithecanthropus, built on the ground and in trees. The expedition members believe: to build a structure of twigs and then patch up the walls of grass and leaves, is required considerable strength and intelligence. ...
;)

mvbeleg
07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Human evolution: Stranger from Siberia

Nature April 8, 2010

The sequencing of ancient DNA is generating dramatic results. The sequence from a bone fragment has revealed the existence of an unknown type of extinct human ancestor that lived in Asia 40,000 years ago.

Terence A. Brown

Full Text (http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B694cMtwy4VlNWZlMjk3OTMtOWQ3Mi00NzU2L ThhYmItMTU4ZmEyZDlhMWJh&hl=en&authkey=CKbVuakI)

The complete mitochondrial DNA genome of an unknown hominin from southern Siberia

Nature April 8, 2010

Ancient mitochondrial DNA from a hominin individual who lived in the mountains of Central Asia between 48,000–30,000 years ago has been sequenced. Comparative genomics suggest that this mitochondrial DNA derives from an out-of-Africa migration distinct from the ones that gave rise to Neanderthals and modern humans. It also seems that this hominin lived in close spatio-temporal proximity to Neanderthals and modern humans.
Johannes Krause, Qiaomei Fu, Jeffrey M. Good, Bence Viola, Michael V. Shunkov, Anatoli P. Derevianko & Svante Pääbo

Full Text (http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B694cMtwy4VlMWQyM2RiMGYtMTI1Mi00MWFjL Tg0MGEtYWRkODMxN2Q1NTc1&hl=en&authkey=CP2H9cML)