PDA

View Full Version : Big-Y

Stefan_Dusan
12-03-2014, 01:44 PM
The Armenians have upgraded me to a Big-Y test, maybe so they could take advantage of all the deals ftDNA was tossing around. Will be interesting and I will keep you posted.

Artek
12-03-2014, 02:18 PM
You got your BigY funded? Lucky guy. I will have BigY in two or three years, maybe.

Stefan_Dusan
12-03-2014, 03:02 PM
You got your BigY funded? Lucky guy. I will have BigY in two or three years, maybe.

Well, all I had to pay was 125$, the rest was funded, so I snapped on it. But yes, I'm excited :cool:

Pjeter Pan
12-03-2014, 03:10 PM
What is that? And how much does it cost?

Stefan_Dusan
12-03-2014, 03:16 PM
What is that? And how much does it cost?

I'm not sure the real price, but its original price used to be close to 800$. Now it maybe around 500$, not sure. My project was partly funded by I2c donations, ftDNA sales, and Armenian project donations + some money form myself.

Pjeter Pan
12-03-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure the real price, but its original price used to be close to 800$. Now it maybe around 500$, not sure. My project was partly funded by I2c donations, ftDNA sales, and Armenian project donations + some money form myself.

So what extacly does it do?

Stefan_Dusan
12-03-2014, 03:19 PM
So what extacly does it do?

It's supposed to explore all possible SNPs unique to your Y-haplogroup and put you on a precise tree without any ambiguity. Plus it gives you some 400-STRs in a BAM file that you need to get someone else to read though.

Pjeter Pan
12-03-2014, 03:22 PM
It's supposed to explore all possible SNPs unique to your Y-haplogroup and put you on a precise tree without any ambiguity. Plus it gives you some 400-STRs in a BAM file that you need to get someone else to read though.

I have no idea what the fuck you just said, but oke :D

Stefan_Dusan
12-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I have no idea what the fuck you just said, but oke :D

An example of a Y-DNA tree

http://www.arslanmb.org/ArmenianDNAProject/nomenclature_fig1.jpg

You can find your L from there. Think of it as a family tree, the further up you have to go to connect another branch is the more distant relationship between you. This will be more for scientific purposes I think since STRs are pretty accurate for getting closeby relatives (though it may reenforce or distance some relationships) but its interesting nonetheless.

Black Wolf
12-04-2014, 01:27 AM

Yup it will give you an awesome coverage of your Y-chromosome. I would have ordered it as well but I already did the big Y test from Full Genomes Corp last year.

Guapo
12-04-2014, 01:32 AM
The Armenians have upgraded me to a Big-Y test, maybe so they could take advantage of all the deals ftDNA was tossing around. Will be interesting and I will keep you posted.

You will get your results by Easter. I'm still waiting for 37 marker result. Ftdna sucks.

Pjeter Pan
12-04-2014, 01:33 AM
You will get your results by Easter. I'm still waiting for 37 marker result. Ftdna sucks.

Man its been like what? 2months xD

Guapo
12-04-2014, 01:34 AM
Man its been like what? 2months xD

Yep, since October. Their response is they're too busy xD

Pjeter Pan
12-04-2014, 01:36 AM
Yep, since October. Their response is they're too busy xD

They probably hired Balkanites xD

Guapo
12-04-2014, 01:37 AM
They probably hired Balkanites xD

Hahahaha or Montenegrins. That is what the joke is at Serbian dna forums xD

Pjeter Pan
12-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Hahahaha or Montenegrins. That is what the joke is at Serbian dna forums xD

Explain :D

Guapo
12-04-2014, 01:40 AM
Explain :D

People are complaining about Ftdna being slow and lazy. They say it is delayed but it actually means they haven't even started testing your saliva yet.