PDA

View Full Version : The bias fighters

NatiaCutie
12-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Hello.
I was talking to Oneeye yesterday about the duty we have as responsible citizens to re-educate misfits in society. I spent some time tonight reading through some research studies and have found a very interesting paper, that tells how psychologists are at the forefront of this fight, making sure that racial profiling and discrimination can be countered.

I think it should be an integral of re-education programs for extremists and hateful lunatics. I'll leave the link here:

The bias fighters (http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/09/20/the-bias-fighters/lTZh1WyzG2sG5CmXoh8dRP/story.html)
Psychologists are testing ways to reduce unconscious racial prejudice--not just in the police, but in all of us.

Aviator
12-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Has it ever occurred to you that your train of thought was considered insane right where you're standing not too long ago? And that was when your country in overall better condition.

Jehan
12-07-2014, 10:15 PM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/ha-you-made-me-laugh-go-to-gulag-%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%B9.png

NatiaCutie
12-07-2014, 10:16 PM
I really liked this part specifically, it shows that the struggle for people's minds is not lost, and with enough funding and commitment of politicians, we can really influence social change:

At least one recent experiment, carried out over 12 weeks, offers hope that lasting change is possible. By alerting a group of psychology students to their prejudice—90 percent of them showed antiblack bias at the beginning of the intervention—and teaching them a range of de-biasing strategies they could employ on their own time, University of Wisconsin-Madison psychologist Patricia Devine and her team showed that prejudicial attitudes could, with sustained effort, go down and stay down for at least two months. In a 2012 paper published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Devine concluded that unconscious prejudice could be unlearned, like a bad habit, through “the power of the conscious mind.”

IT’S ONE THING to succeed at getting people to do better on a test by subjecting them to lab experiments, and another thing entirely to apply the lessons learned to real life. At the moment there are at least two teams of experts trying to do just that in law enforcement.

One of them is led by Lorie Fridell, an associate professor at the University of South Florida who has developed a suite of training programs to carry out in departments around the country. The challenges of such programs are apparent from the outset: Attending a de-biasing session can make people feel like they’re being accused of racism and need to change, a message that doesn’t go down easily. In light of that, Fridell’s philosophy is that police officers need to be told the biases they harbor are normal and don’t reflect in any way on their character. “When we walk into a room, my trainers and I, they are somewhere between defensive and hostile....Their arms are crossed and often they’re glaring at us,” she said.“As soon as they come to understand that we’re talking to them about how their mind works, and that even well-intentioned people have biases...they start to relax and open up.”

Linebacker
12-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Ok racial profiling in the police is required and there is nothing racist about it.It is just logic.

When an individual is a representative of a community notorious with its crime and offences it is only natural for an officer to suspect he might be potentially a felon,but that alone is not enough to count as probable cause,as the Forth Amendment states.The officer is not allowed to detain or search someone just because he is colored or belongs to a troublesome community.

In my eyes it goes only as far as looking at someone who is colored and wears gang attire and just being cautions of him and keeping an eye rather than prosecuting based on that analyze alone.

Right example - African american individual is wearing notorious gang symbols and is displaying suspicious behavior>He is a gang member>He might be armed or carry illegal substances.

B01AB20
12-07-2014, 10:25 PM
oh my Goooood!!!

http://static.qnm.it/www/fotogallery/625X0/151787/il-terrore-del-bambino.jpg
progressives want to liberate us... from our vile and free thinking

and to show us... the one and only WAY to live and feel.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/mao-propaganda.jpg

I think I've seen this before...

NatiaCutie
12-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Ok racial profiling in the police is required and there is nothing racist about it.It is just logic.

When an individual is a representative of a community notorious with its crime and offences it is only natural for an officer to suspect he might be potentially a felon,but that alone is not enough to count as probable cause,as the Forth Amendment states.The officer is not allowed to detain or search someone just because he is colored or belongs to a troublesome community.

In my eyes it goes only as far as looking at someone who is colored and wears gang attire and just being cautions of him and keeping an eye rather than prosecuting based on that analyze alone.

Right example - African american individual is wearing notorious gang symbols and is displaying suspicious behavior>He is a gang member>He might be armed or carry illegal substances.

That kind of thinking regarding black people is what leads to tragedies like what happened to Michael Brown. You have to remember the US is a very racial society, so this imprinted stereotypes need to be countered. Starting by the way people think.

Linebacker
12-07-2014, 10:38 PM
That kind of thinking regarding black people is what leads to tragedies like what happened to Michael Brown. You have to remember the US is a very racial society, so this imprinted stereotypes need to be countered. Starting by the way people think.

Micheal Brown robbed a store and physically assaulted the owner,he then assaulted Officer Wilson and attempted to take his gun.Wilson shot him in self defense.

If he did not he would have been dead not Brown.Better a dead crook than a dead Police Officer.

Jehan
12-07-2014, 10:39 PM
It's like nazi, they have a very bad picture, why this stereotyp? They don't have the right to have a second chance?

Armand_Duval
12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
@NatiaCutie, I have a questuion for you: Would you marry a black man?... (Yes, No, and why).

NatiaCutie
12-07-2014, 10:44 PM
@NatiaCutie, I have a questuion for you: Would you marry a black man?... (Yes, No, and why).

Not your concern, and not related to this study.

Also
12-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Micheal Brown robbed a store and physically assaulted the owner,he then assaulted Officer Wilson and attempted to take his gun.Wilson shot him in self defense.

If he did not he would have been dead not Brown.Better a dead crook than a dead Police Officer.

Not to mention Brown was almost 2 meters height and weighted about 130 kgs. When you are a police officer and you have an orc attacking you and trying to take your gun, just shoot the orc and save your life.

Oneeye
12-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Well, it was over indoctrinating immigrants into the society that they are entering's values. In particular Muslims entering Europe.

I profile, tbh. What those professors are doing is reconditioning people out of evolutionary self-preservation in favor for giving the benefit of the doubt.

What I find interesting, is that 50% of blacks scored against themselves on the IAT. That's terrible, but I wonder if the average Afram is more genetically different from each other than the average European American? I think doing that kind of conditioning would most benefit the black communities by treating blacks.

Atvend
12-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Lel 1984 in the happening...
All hail SocJus!

Linebacker
12-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Not to mention Brown was almost 2 meters height and weighted about 130 kgs. When you are a police officer and you have an orc attacking you and trying to take your gun, just shoot the orc and save your life.

Its a very simple case.I just don't understand why the whole riot situation had to erupt because of that.They are rioting because a criminal robbed a store and he tried to kill a Policeman who shot him in self-defense?

Im an anti-racist and democrat but this is seriously ridiculous.Since when did people got to standing up for criminals and spitting on police officers for doing their job.

LightHouse89
12-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Hello.
I was talking to Oneeye yesterday about the duty we have as responsible citizens to re-educate misfits in society. I spent some time tonight reading through some research studies and have found a very interesting paper, that tells how psychologists are at the forefront of this fight, making sure that racial profiling and discrimination can be countered.

I think it should be an integral of re-education programs for extremists and hateful lunatics. I'll leave the link here:

The bias fighters (http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/09/20/the-bias-fighters/lTZh1WyzG2sG5CmXoh8dRP/story.html)
Psychologists are testing ways to reduce unconscious racial prejudice--not just in the police, but in all of us.

The only way to counter racial profiling is to not police crime at all.

LightHouse89
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM

I asked her before and she said yes.

Felix Volkbein
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I really liked this part specifically, it shows that the struggle for people's minds is not lost, and with enough funding and commitment of politicians, we can really influence social change:

At least one recent experiment, carried out over 12 weeks, offers hope that lasting change is possible. By alerting a group of psychology students to their prejudice—90 percent of them showed antiblack bias at the beginning of the intervention—and teaching them a range of de-biasing strategies they could employ on their own time, University of Wisconsin-Madison psychologist Patricia Devine and her team showed that prejudicial attitudes could, with sustained effort, go down and stay down for at least two months. In a 2012 paper published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Devine concluded that unconscious prejudice could be unlearned, like a bad habit, through “the power of the conscious mind.”

IT’S ONE THING to succeed at getting people to do better on a test by subjecting them to lab experiments, and another thing entirely to apply the lessons learned to real life. At the moment there are at least two teams of experts trying to do just that in law enforcement.

One of them is led by Lorie Fridell, an associate professor at the University of South Florida who has developed a suite of training programs to carry out in departments around the country. The challenges of such programs are apparent from the outset: Attending a de-biasing session can make people feel like they’re being accused of racism and need to change, a message that doesn’t go down easily. In light of that, Fridell’s philosophy is that police officers need to be told the biases they harbor are normal and don’t reflect in any way on their character. “When we walk into a room, my trainers and I, they are somewhere between defensive and hostile....Their arms are crossed and often they’re glaring at us,” she said.“As soon as they come to understand that we’re talking to them about how their mind works, and that even well-intentioned people have biases...they start to relax and open up.”

You assume that anti-Black sentiment is based on irrational prejudice when it's not. It's based on pattern recognition, statistics, cost-benefit analysis, and considered reasoning.

Tchek
12-07-2014, 11:05 PM

I can't believe what I'm reading. Are you joking?

I'm starting to think you are a troll account.

NatiaCutie
12-07-2014, 11:09 PM
I can't believe what I'm reading. Are you joking?

I'm starting to think you are a troll account.

Why am I joking? I am just copying a few paragraphs from the original article. Haven't you read it?

Tchek
12-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Why am I joking? I am just copying a few paragraphs from the original article. Haven't you read it?

This kind of psychological reprogramming doesn't shock you?

NatiaCutie
12-07-2014, 11:32 PM
This kind of psychological reprogramming doesn't shock you?

I support re-education. I think it's a very important thing to safeguard the future of our democratic societies.

There are a lot of threats, like the rise of violent Islam, the return of racism and neo-nazis, and all sorts of anti-democratic ideas that can harm people and destroy our freedom and our egalitarian accomplishments.
I think Muslim communities should be stripped of their archaic features and taught how to live in a proper progressive society. People with dangerous views have already been ostracized succesfully, but underground groups still exist, like in the Internet. The next challenge is to address that problem by having stronger surveillance methods, and also re-educating those that hold dangerous ideas.

This psychological research is very important for this. I think examining the neurological conditions that lead to the rise of hate should also be done, so doctors can treat it like a disease.

TheForeigner
12-07-2014, 11:37 PM
American police use or used racial profiling in very recent times.

TheForeigner
12-07-2014, 11:38 PM
I support re-education. I think it's a very important thing to safeguard the future of our democratic societies.

There are a lot of threats, like the rise of violent Islam, the return of racism and neo-nazis, and all sorts of anti-democratic ideas that can harm people and destroy our freedom and our egalitarian accomplishments.
I think Muslim communities should be stripped of their archaic features and taught how to live in a proper progressive society. People with dangerous views have already been ostracized succesfully, but underground groups still exist, like in the Internet. The next challenge is to address that problem by having stronger surveillance methods, and also re-educating those that hold dangerous ideas.

This psychological research is very important for this. I think examining the neurological conditions that lead to the rise of hate should also be done, so doctors can treat it like a disease.

Forced reeducation of the kind you talk about and your threats about police to some of us are undemocratic and pure fascist actually. Obvious ignorant broad is obvious.

Aviator
12-07-2014, 11:43 PM
I support re-education.

Me too!!! We agree on something!!!

But let me ask you this, if it came down to the left-wing vs the right-wing in actual combat, fighting for the control of the government, who do you think would come out on top?

StonyArabia
12-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Not your concern, and not related to this study.

The world needs more people like you truth be told.

Oneeye
12-08-2014, 12:05 AM

I prefer to look at this from another angle: As a way to foster cooperation and community amongst subcultures, particularly the African American communities that are plagued by higher crime rates. So many blacks in that article hold biases against their own group... that I believe that aiming to change that would have a dramatic effect in improving quality of life for them.

As for hate, I'm not sure which hormone that could be responsible for that... maybe testosterone? But testosterone levels are lower for men now than they have been. But you're conflating it with prejudice, and you're not going to like this... but the hormone responsible for prejudice is the "love hormone" oxytocin... that fosters feelings between mothers and their infants, between lovers, and kin. It encourages "in and out group" feelings.

http://time.com/49399/oxytocin-racism-study/

Tchek
12-08-2014, 12:12 AM

Well, after all, you have the right to believe whatever you want. I'm a supporter of freedom.
...but do you, at least, realize the views you are holding are extreme and radical?

"Re-educating those that hold dangerous ideas". This is the characteristics of the most totalitarian societies in history.
Basically, Nazism, Islam and Communism agree with you.

Your supposedly Progressist views are the opposite of social emancipation, but an extreme form of psychological domestication (which is regressive and conformist).

Besides, you want to fight "Hate"? Hate is a feeling of extreme anger. It's a mix of testosterone and frustration. Castration is the only answer if you want to get rid of hate, or a med that kills off testosterone.
Would you support castration? If not what else?

LightHouse89
12-08-2014, 12:45 AM

This goes against Democracy though. So in a way you are pretty much the same as the Neo-Nazis, Socialists, Radical Muslims etc.... I think you should put this foolishness aside and get married and have children.

LightHouse89
12-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Me too!!! We agree on something!!!

But let me ask you this, if it came down to the left-wing vs the right-wing in actual combat, fighting for the control of the government, who do you think would come out on top?

Us! Praise God! A return to sanity :thumb001: Natia would love it. She would get married and produce children. She would be very happy.

Armand_Duval
12-08-2014, 05:16 PM
I asked her before and she said yes.

Tssshhh...not of my business dude didn't you read her?...:rolleyes:

Armand_Duval
12-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Its a very simple case.I just don't understand why the whole riot situation had to erupt because of that.They are rioting because a criminal robbed a store and he tried to kill a Policeman who shot him in self-defense?

Im an anti-racist and democrat but this is seriously ridiculous.Since when did people got to standing up for criminals and spitting on police officers for doing their job.

I totally agree with that.

The police officer did his job and the authorities must not cede to such kind of demands otherwise it would be the starting of the losing the public order and law, if law offenders are allowed to remain untouched just by the simple drawing of a racial card in every situation you guys are going to become a real mess.

Hŕkon
12-08-2014, 06:19 PM
There is no denying that bias can be destructive, and the aspiration to make people aware of their own is welcomed, but expanding it to anything beyond awareness would be radically authoritarian, and potentially as ruinous itself; above all, an infringement on the freedom of thought.

Kalinka
12-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Racial stereotypes do have a certain kind of truth, to be honest.

Felix Volkbein
12-08-2014, 06:26 PM
There is no denying that bias can be destructive, and the aspiration to make people aware of their own is welcomed, but expanding it to anything beyond awareness would be radically authoritarian, and potentially as ruinous itself; above all, an infringement on the freedom of thought.

You probably missed it because it's buried in another thread, but she's already explicitly stated that freedom of thought needs to be jettisoned in the name of progressivism and to save the world from evil bigots like me.

B01AB20
12-08-2014, 08:43 PM
If someone didn't know what cultural-marxism means, now you can have a light idea.

thanks natia.

NatiaCutie
12-08-2014, 09:13 PM
If someone didn't know what cultural-marxism means, now you can have a light idea.

thanks natia.

Only crazy conspiracy theorists use terms like 'cultural marxism'.

B01AB20
12-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Only crazy conspiracy theorists use terms like 'cultural marxism'.

:laugh2:

then this forum is some kind of mental asylum... :party-smiley-007:

oh please... enlighten us all with the supreme, and not dogmatic of course, one and only cultural-marxist truth.

I'm lost in the darkness of my own free will and thinking, please illuminate moi by washing away my brain, for example.

Unome
12-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Natia you are the most biased person around

NatiaCutie
12-10-2014, 05:47 AM
You probably missed it because it's buried in another thread, but she's already explicitly stated that freedom of thought needs to be jettisoned in the name of progressivism and to save the world from evil bigots like me.

Is just thought?
Would you not enjoy to have the power to repress women and force them back into domestic chores, while creating a racial hierarchy?

I said it before, there is no need to tolerate those that have no shred of tolerance. Just like there is no need to grant free speech to those that seek to destroy for everybody else.
It's only a defensive measure, just like prison. By re-educating and forcing a penalty on those that seek to harm people, we actually protect many others. The greater good of this world is served.

Guapo
12-10-2014, 05:51 AM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52938&d=1418194258