PDA

View Full Version : How can I find out who my ancestors are?

Ballist
12-08-2014, 01:54 AM
My father piqued my interest when he told me that I am related to a Nazi. Does anyone know a way to find out who my ancestors are (I'm from Kosovo)? It would be great to know who they are, what they did. Who knows, maybe my origins aren't completely Albanian. And any free site or other tips helps.
Thanks.

Pjeter Pan
12-08-2014, 01:57 AM
just ask your paternal Grandpa. Like a German Nazi?

Ballist
12-08-2014, 02:00 AM
just ask your paternal Grandpa. Like a German Nazi?

You see...uh...he's dead. And someone else was, not my grandpa. My dad said "vllau babgjyshit temė". But I really wanna look further. Instead of just fingers I wanna go full arm, you know?

Pjeter Pan
12-08-2014, 02:04 AM
You see...uh...he's dead. And someone else was, not my grandpa. My dad said "djalli babgjyshit temė". But I really wanna look further. Instead of just fingers I wanna go full arm, you know?
Man, honestly I don't think anything you could find online. You have to go back home to your village and try to find some info.

Also try taking a genetics test like 23andme

Arbėrori
12-08-2014, 02:05 AM
How is your grandfather's brother German and your grandfather is not? :lol:

You mean Nazi soldier or?

Ballist
12-08-2014, 02:06 AM
Man, honestly I don't think anything you could find online. You have to go back home to your village and try to find some info.

Also try taking a genetics test like 23andme

Ok, flm for the tip.

Ballist
12-08-2014, 02:07 AM
How is your grandfather's brother German and your grandfather is not? :lol:

You mean Nazi soldier or?

He was a Nazi soldier. Not German, but faught for the German SS.

Arbėrori
12-08-2014, 02:08 AM
He was a Nazi soldier. Not German, but faught for the German SS.

Then you might want to check some archives on the Nazi Scanderbeg order from Albania. I believe they also recruited Albanians from Kosovo.

Ballist
12-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Then you might want to check some archives on the Nazi Scanderbeg order from Albania. I believe they also recruited Albanians from Kosovo.

But he didn't fight for the SS Skanderbeg. It was some other Germany non-Kosovo Albanian batalion.

Arbėrori
12-08-2014, 02:15 AM
But he didn't fight for the SS Skanderbeg. It was some other Germany non-Kosovo Albanian batalion.

Intriguing... You should definitely do a test and maybe check some archives back in your hometown.

Ballist
12-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Intriguing... You should definitely do a test and maybe check some archives back in your hometown.

Ok, I'll try. Thanks.

Arbėrori
12-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Ok, I'll try. Thanks.

The mosque is a great source of information aswell. My mother's hometown's mosque also holds information about the village's Christian forefathers and where they came from.

Dani Cutie
12-08-2014, 02:18 AM
You can go to the church/Mosque of her native town,normally there have archieves of your family.

Ballist
12-08-2014, 02:26 AM
The mosque is a great source of information aswell. My mother's hometown's mosque also holds information about the village's Christian forefathers and where they came from.

I guess. But I live in a small village with no mosques. I might just go to the Sinan Pasha Mosque in Prizren.

StonyArabia
12-19-2014, 09:29 AM
A genetic test will help certainly.