PDA

View Full Version : Classify Jefferson Davis

Shepherd
12-10-2014, 10:38 PM
President of the CSA

http://i.4cdn.org/int/1418254531617.jpg
http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/files/images/HD_davisJFportrait_c.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Jefferson_Davis_1853_daguerreotype-restored.png

TheForeigner
12-10-2014, 10:39 PM
I think he can be considered a traitor to his country.

Shepherd
12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
I think he can be considered a traitor to his country.

Nah. His country was the South and he was anything but a traitor to it.

Tooting Carmen
12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
KN

TheForeigner
12-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Nah. His country was the South and he was anything but a traitor to it.

No. That is Southern Neoconfederate romanticizing. He was a traitor to his country, the United States of America. Secession was not necessary and the war was a great disaster for your country, especially more the South. But that ''Gods and Generals'' movie is one of my all time favourites still.:)

Shepherd
12-10-2014, 10:47 PM
No. That is Southern Neoconfederate romanticizing. He was a traitor to his country, the United States of America. Secession was not necessary and the war was a great disaster for your country, especially more the South. But that ''Gods and Generals'' movie is one of my all time favourites still.:)

Lets agree to disagree

HillY35
12-10-2014, 11:08 PM
My ideas:
Jefferson Davis is utterly typical of a certain general Southern look that still exists today, though uncommon presently, I think, due to the passage of time up to the present. Apparently his ancestry is Welsh, English, and Scottish. I call his look to appear extremely "germanic," as evidenced to me by this cheek-wrinkles, the cavernous eyes, his "beak" of a nose. He would have been a typical look among the English Southerners who fled the South for Texas, as white dominance was shaken up by the outcome of the War Between the States. I think he is quintessentially Texan (though he had no family connection to Texas), in one way, and that is that his background, like many of the more-"germanic," stern-faced Southerners, was not of those known most notably as "Eastern colonial." It was something of a "middle class" of germanic type that settled en masse in Texas, not uppity to any real degree.

TheForeigner
12-10-2014, 11:21 PM
My ideas:
Jefferson Davis is utterly typical of a certain general Southern look that still exists today, though uncommon presently, I think, due to the passage of time up to the present. Apparently his ancestry is Welsh, English, and Scottish. I call his look to appear extremely "germanic," as evidenced to me by this cheek-wrinkles, the cavernous eyes, his "beak" of a nose. He would have been a typical look among the English Southerners who fled the South for Texas, as white dominance was shaken up by the outcome of the War Between the States. I think he is quintessentially Texan (though he had no family connection to Texas), in one way, and that is that his background, like many of the more-"germanic," stern-faced Southerners was not of those known most notably as "Eastern colonial." It was something of a "middle class" of germanic type that settled en masse in Texas, not uppity to any real degree.

When you call him and his type Germanic and contrasting them with other Southern whites, who are these others?

Shepherd
12-10-2014, 11:38 PM
When you call him and his type Germanic and contrasting them with other Southern whites, who are these others?

Most southerners are Scotch-Irish and English. I think he means Jeff looks more purely Germanic without a Celtic look

Riddler
12-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Looks hardcore Keltic Nordid, ironically enough it's basically the same type as Lincoln, although they certainly looked different. It seems like this type used to be a lot more common in the US than it is today.

Shepherd
12-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Looks hardcore Keltic Nordid, ironically enough it's basically the same type as Lincoln, although they certainly looked different. It seems like this look used to be a lot more common in the US than it is today.

A lot of our founding fathers shared this type, Im curious as to why I don't see it around often these days

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/4/18/1271630795169/George-Washington-001.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Thomas_Jefferson_by_Rembrandt_Peale,_1800.jpg
http://drhurd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/paine.jpg

TheForeigner
12-10-2014, 11:46 PM
They looked more British. They were less mixed than contemporary ''WASPs'' and time, different habits, diet etc has changed their descendants.

Riddler
12-11-2014, 12:04 AM
A lot of our founding fathers shared this type, Im curious as to why I don't see it around often these days

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. Like White Bear said, America used to be a lot more British back then. The waves of immgration starting in the late 19th century completely changed the ethnic make-up. There are probably very few people in America today, if any at all, that could say they're of purely British stock.

And if you really want to start veering into the realms pseudo-science, you could even say that it was a "certain kind" of Brit that colonized the Americas, different from the ones who stayed behind, and perhaps this lent itself to a different physical appearance as well. English religious and political dissenters, displaced Scottish highlanders, Ulstermen trying to escape economic hardship.....

Probably they were a lot different to the Brits of today, who are descendants of either the aristocracy or the massive underclass of sedentary peasant stock.

HillY35
12-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I've noticed that as well. Like White Bear said, America used to be a lot more British back then. The waves of immgration starting in the late 19th century completely changed the ethnic make-up. There are probably very few people in America today, if any at all, that could say they're of purely British stock.

And if you really want to start veering into the realms pseudo-science, you could even say that it was a "certain kind" of Brit that colonized the Americas, different from the ones who stayed behind, and perhaps this lent itself to a different physical appearance as well. English religious and political dissenters, displaced Scottish highlanders, Ulstermen trying to escape economic hardship.....

Probably they were a lot different to the Brits of today, who are descendants of either the aristocracy or the massive underclass of sedentary peasant stock.

What a great, intelligent reply, thanks. :)

Gooding
12-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Keltic Nordid, largely, with a bit of Brunn around the jaw. Is Davis not a Welsh name?

Shepherd
12-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Keltic Nordid, largely, with a bit of Brunn around the jaw. Is Davis not a Welsh name?

most surnames can be found throughout the entire British Isles.

I know an Irish girl with the surname Davis

HillY35
12-11-2014, 02:04 AM

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/4/18/1271630795169/George-Washington-001.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Thomas_Jefferson_by_Rembrandt_Peale,_1800.jpg
http://drhurd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/paine.jpg

You aint traveled this great American land yet, kiddo. ;) The historical strains in N. America bear themselves out in FULL COLOR.

Shepherd
12-11-2014, 02:05 AM
You aint traveled this great American land yet, kiddo. ;) The historical strains in N. America bear themselves out in FULL COLOR.

true I haven't

I plan to spend more time down south when I get a bit older :D

Jinn
12-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Dinarid + Nordid admix

Proctor
12-11-2014, 02:33 AM

Yep, neoconfederates are quite annoying, watch them complain and complain and complain about the north, essentially stuck in the past while not even caring about the large Afram population they live amongst and increasing multiculturalism. Confederates were traitors, trying to secede was silly, they literally had no chance of winning anyways. As Sherman once said:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it... Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth—right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.