PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Walks Out on Invocation Prayer to Satan, Zeus, Allah

European Knight
12-13-2014, 09:04 PM
http://youtu.be/BeBq9gLrnPo

Some Florida city leaders get up and leave a city council meeting before a prayer mentioning Satan, Allah and Zeus is read.

In a video posted to YouTube the Mayor of Lake Worth, Pam Triolo and several commissioners can be seen leaving the room on Dec. 2, as atheist Preston Smith prepared to lead the invocation before a city council meeting. Preston’s invocation invokes the names of Satan, Zeus, Allah, Jesus, Buddha and Thor among others.

According to WPTV, another man has put in a request to stand at the podium and lead an invocation. This time with a satanic prayer. "We want to make a circus out of it," explained Chaz Stevens. "We want to make a fiasco out of it, we want to make it so freaking, utterly ridiculous that they rethink this."

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/eric-scheiner/mayor-walks-out-invocation-prayer-satan-zeus-allah

Óttar
12-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Lo! Zeus and Thor make their reappearance! O Glorious Day! :thumb001:

Oneeye
12-13-2014, 09:22 PM
What is this? xD

Kalimtari
12-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Go Satan!

http://33.media.tumblr.com/d7da7b954ec95a84db984cb343fca129/tumblr_nd5q3mPuHt1tyfqs1o1_500.jpg

Incal
12-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Why does it always have to be Florida? xD

Lyrace
12-13-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm Agnostic, but honestly, this invocation bothers me.
It's arrogant to invoke the names of "Allah" and other mythological deities in Florida where Christianity is very much embedded in the average person's culture. How do you believe the Muslims would react in Saudi Arabia if this man tried this at one of their meetings?

Linebacker
12-13-2014, 11:12 PM
This is pretty funny.

If I was there I would have just been like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X1gIIvxkXE

Methmatician
12-14-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm Agnostic, but honestly, this invocation bothers me.
It's arrogant to invoke the names of "Allah" and other mythological deities in Florida where Christianity is very much embedded in the average person's culture. How do you believe the Muslims would react in Saudi Arabia if this man tried this at one of their meetings?
The point wasn't to offend Christians. Also the US is suppose to be secular whereas Saudi Arabia isn't.

Lyrace
12-15-2014, 02:37 AM
The United States's government policies are meant to be secular because of the division between church and state, but invocations channel energy into a room through divinity, and thus inherently involve the supernatural. One cannot invoke science unless "science" is a god in and of itself; science is confined to the natural world.

Proposition 8 and other such laws based in Christian orthodoxy are wrong, but I cannot say the same for an invocation. Invocations are not policy decisions such as amendments and bills and instead are protected by the First Amendment The chaplain in the video did not break any laws, but he upset the cultural bond to religion Floridians and most southerners share.

I would compare it to touring the White House with a backwards baseball cap. No law prevents one from wearing such a hat (at least not any laws of common knowledge), but it ranks high on the bad-taste-o-meter, like Justin Bieber meeting the PM of Canada, clad in overalls:

Lyrace
12-15-2014, 02:40 AM
The point wasn't to offend Christians. Also the US is suppose to be secular whereas Saudi Arabia isn't.
The United States's government policies are meant to be secular because of the division between church and state, but invocations channel energy into a room through divinity, and thus inherently involve the supernatural. One cannot invoke science unless "science" is a god in and of itself; science is confined to the natural world.

Proposition 8 and other such laws based in Christian orthodoxy are wrong, but I cannot say the same for an invocation. Invocations are not policy decisions such as amendments and bills and instead are protected by the First Amendment The chaplain in the video did not break any laws, but he upset the cultural bond to religion Floridians and most southerners share.

I would compare it to touring the White House with a backwards baseball cap. No law prevents one from wearing such a hat (at least not any laws of common knowledge), but it ranks high on the bad-taste-o-meter, like Justin Bieber meeting the PM of Canada, clad in overalls:

1353939694_justin-bieber-article.jpg

(My apologies about posting the same message twice. I attempted to delete the first one, but I don't have permission to delete my posts yet.)

Methmatician
12-15-2014, 03:16 AM
What are invocations doing in a government building during a council meeting? The government is suppose to give all religions fair treatment. That means that if one religion is given special rights then all religions are to be given those special rights. But the US is secular (or suppose to be) so these things shouldn't be happening at council meetings.

Lyrace
12-15-2014, 03:48 AM
What are invocations doing in a government building during a council meeting? The government is suppose to give all religions fair treatment. That means that if one religion is given special rights then all religions are to be given those special rights. But the US is secular (or suppose to be) so these things shouldn't be happening at council meetings.
Well, invocations are optional and usually only take place during municipal meetings and usually are done by a volunteer. In that capacity, an invocation is as permissible as a citizen's speech to the councilmen about religion; both are equally protected under our First Amendment.

Methmatician
12-15-2014, 03:55 AM
Well, invocations are optional and usually only take place during municipal meetings and usually are done by a volunteer. In that capacity, an invocation is as permissible as a citizen's speech to the councilmen about religion; both are equally protected under our First Amendment.
If that's your view then what's your problem with the Islamic and Satanist invocations?

Lyrace
12-15-2014, 04:14 AM
If that's your view then what's your problem with the Islamic and Satanist invocations?
There's nothing necessarily "wrong" with it, but it affronted the cultures of Florida which are vastly Christian and agitated the meeting, similar to men not removing their hats inside.

I would consider it negative in terms of etiquette, but apart from that, it wasn't ethically positive or negative.

However, as a non-religious person, I found it to be a mockery of invocations because I certainly don't feel the same way about science as Christians do God. I don't know anyone who worships science.

Methmatician
12-15-2014, 04:33 AM
There's nothing necessarily "wrong" with it, but it affronted the cultures of Florida which are vastly Christian and agitated the meeting, similar to men not removing their hats inside.
But it isn't exclusively Christian. Muslims and Satanists live in Florida.

Lyrace
12-15-2014, 04:41 AM
True. . . they can voice their opinions, but they conflict with the majority's Christian views. The way I see it, communities are most bright and productive when they unify on issues concerning faith, family, and folk. If those three foundations are obfuscated, then unnecessary tension follows.

In the section of my last post you did not quote, I would like to emphasize again that the non-religious usually do not recognize science as a deity, hence they are non-religious.

Oneeye
12-15-2014, 04:43 AM

Should of just devoted the entire invocation to Satan rather than some New Agey pan deity crap.

Leo Iscariot
12-15-2014, 04:49 AM
Personally, I'd have walked in dressed like King Diamond or Papa Emeritus from Ghost to do the prayer. :lol:

Oneeye
12-15-2014, 04:59 AM
Personally, I'd have walked in dressed like King Diamond or Papa Emeritus from Ghost to do the prayer. :lol:

Screw it, should of just brought all of Gorgoroth:

http://media1.giphy.com/media/HiaCRi20r0Dhm/200.gif

Desaix DeBurgh
12-15-2014, 05:33 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hojRxoeREhM/T-8QC-E7qmI/AAAAAAAABjI/hkdzoEkCmEM/s1600/baphomet-yuri-leitch.jpg

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/baphomet01.gif

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkXh8-0ADGcTnghngTqyv4rTeCbeMu6ARJubz0_6C230viWfVW

All hail baphomet !

Methmatician
12-15-2014, 05:40 AM
True. . . they can voice their opinions, but they conflict with the majority's Christian views.
Views that shouldn't be present in government buildings. They can keep their Christian views at home like all the other people who practice a religion other than Catholicism or Protestantism.

In the section of my last post you did not quote, I would like to emphasize again that the non-religious usually do not recognize science as a deity, hence they are non-religious.
He's mocking the inclusion of Christian invocation. Most people don't believe science is a metaphysical deity.

Should of just devoted the entire invocation to Satan rather than some New Agey pan deity crap.
For many Americans being Atheist = Satanist.

zhaoyun
12-15-2014, 06:13 AM
This is pretty ridiculous LOL

Separation of church and state. The best solution to this jokery.

Smaland
12-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

James 2:19, KJV

7) And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8) And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9) And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation 12:7-9, KJV

1) As mighty and worthy as they are, Michael and his angels are still finite; satan won't be able to defeat them in battle, let alone God Himself.
2) satan trembles before God Almighty, as it should be.

A satanist has hitched his wagon to a falling star.

Lyrace
12-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Views that shouldn't be present in government buildings. They can keep their Christian views at home like all the other people who practice a religion other than Catholicism or Protestantism.
Remember that the US government "shall make no law respecting religion." This means that the US government should not strike down religious speeches or promote them but merely tolerate them. By not letting a chaplain speak, they take away his right to the First Amendment. Secular governments are not dogmatically anti-religion.

He's mocking the inclusion of Christian invocation. Most people don't believe science is a metaphysical deity.
Alright I guess. Usually people who are tolerant don't mock inclusion but okay. I attended Christian school, and although I wasn't religious, I always found the teacher's devotions welcoming and directed at not only the Christians but humanity as a whole.

For many Americans being Atheist = Satanist.
Sadly, that is true. I know two Atheists who also identify as Satanists, but they don't worship Satan of course. They merely view Satan as a metaphor for natural law and doing what empowers oneself as opposed to giving one's energy up for the collective. If you wish to hear more, you can watch this video of a Satanist who gives a testimonial on Satanism and Atheism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpH45E0eMp8

Methmatician
12-16-2014, 12:42 AM
Remember that the US government "shall make no law respecting religion." This means that the US government should not strike down religious speeches or promote them but merely tolerate them. By not letting a chaplain speak, they take away his right to the First Amendment. Secular governments are not dogmatically anti-religion.
Do you understand what separation of Church and State means? It means chaplains need to keep their 'God' talk out of politics.

Alright I guess. Usually people who are tolerant don't mock inclusion but okay.
There isn't suppose to be about inclusion. Religion and politics are suppose to stay separate in the US.

Sadly, that is true. I know two Atheists who also identify as Satanists, but they don't worship Satan of course. They merely view Satan as a metaphor for natural law and doing what empowers oneself as opposed to giving one's energy up for the collective. If you wish to hear more, you can watch this video of a Satanist who gives a testimonial on Satanism and Atheism:
Cheers, but I'm not interested in Satanism. I already read about it before.

LightHouse89
12-16-2014, 12:46 AM
this man should be lynched.

Oneeye
12-16-2014, 12:47 AM
This is pretty ridiculous LOL

Separation of church and state. The best solution to this jokery.

that is why those people are doing that in invocation...

LightHouse89
12-16-2014, 12:47 AM
1) As mighty and worthy as they are, Michael and his angels are still finite; satan won't be able to defeat them in battle, let alone God Himself.
2) satan trembles before God Almighty, as it should be.

A satanist has hitched his wagon to a falling star.

This nation was founded by God fearing men of a much better caliber too. This shit bag atheist deserves to be tarred, feathered and hanged.

Notice how these scumbag atheist libertarian secularists are perverting this country more and more by the passing decade. I would prefer to live n a town away from these dirt bags.

I detest atheist groups and think these people belong in mental institutions where they can spread this false new age religion.

LightHouse89
12-16-2014, 12:50 AM
that is why those people are doing that in invocation...

The country was not always secular. Lutherans, Catholics, Anglican heretics and other idol worshippers are behind it. John Winthrop was right to expel them from new England. They belong in a swamp or something unpleasant to live with such miserable characters.

Secularism needs to go. The fact he invoked pagan philosophers is proof that he is only there to destroy the American spirit of old. Such people are beyond disgusting to me.

Oneeye
12-16-2014, 01:00 AM
The country was not always secular. Lutherans, Catholics, Anglican heretics and other idol worshippers are behind it. John Winthrop was right to expel them from new England. They belong in a swamp or something unpleasant to live with such miserable characters.

Secularism needs to go. The fact he invoked pagan philosophers is proof that he is only there to destroy the American spirit of old. Such people are beyond disgusting to me.

Yes, he is there to disrupt and to get them to stop having prayers/invocations by being a nuance.