PDA

View Full Version : Your language skills?

Aragorn
11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
How many, and which languages do you speak?

How much skilled are you in them?

Me:

Native: Dutch Language

Speak, write and understand English, German, Low-Saxon, Afrikaans by reading and listening but not writting.

Loki
11-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Native language: Afrikaans.

Fluent in: English.

Can understand a lot of: Dutch. But people laugh when I try to speak it ;)

Can understand a little: Other Germanic languages, including Danish, Swedish, German, etc.

Aragorn
11-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I prefer that Dutch and Afrikaners talk to each other in their native tongue instead using English. Afterall, we are more or less from the same source.

Arrow Cross
11-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Native language: Hungarian.

Fluent in: English.

Can understand a lot of: German (learned a few years).

Can understand a little: French (learned half a year).

Skandi
11-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm terrible

Native, English

Can read and understand French but speaking is out of the question

Can read Norwegian slowly

Hrolf Kraki
11-07-2008, 07:27 PM
My native language is English.

I can speak German fairly decent, but am much better at reading and writing. I need to get some speaking practice in outside of class!

I can read Danish (and Norwegian) at an elementary level, and am working hard to increase my grammar knowledge and vocabulary. Speaking is rather difficult.

Jimbo Gomez
11-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Native language is dutch, my english is more than adequate, my french will do.

Stormraaf
11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
native: Afrikaans (with an implied ability to read Dutch);
fluent: English;

This might be noteworthy: if I want to read Dutch with comprehension it usually goes a bit slow, but I can read the Flemish dialect at close to my normal reading speed.

Luijken
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
There are alot of people who know Dutch here :)

For me my native language is also Dutch, i speak some english, German and for some reason a bit Spanish.

Beorn
11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Native language: English.

I am also quite capable in understanding West Country accents and dialects, drunken Irish/Scottish English and Ebonics if spoken slowly.

Jimbo Gomez
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
@ Stormraaf: odd, because your language has more in common with the Amsterdam dialect. Do you have some text, so you can show an example. I'm curious to what regional dialect it was that you read.

Stormraaf
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
@ Stormraaf: odd, because your language has more in common with the Amsterdam dialect. Do you have some text, so you can show an example. I'm curious to what regional dialect it was that you read.

An example of which, though? The Flemish was by way of quasi-private e-mails, so I don't want to post that here. The Dutch I've read looks like in this article (http://www.nrc.nl/opinie/article1934707.ece/Nederland_en_Vlaanderen_horen_bij_elkaar).

Once again, I had no trouble understanding it, it only took me a while.

Australier Chris
11-11-2008, 04:04 AM
My native language is English. I can pretty much fully understand written and spoken German, but need a little more practice in speaking the language myself.

I had a more difficult time understanding Austrian dialects, when I was in Austria earlier this year. It doesn't seem so difficult when watching TV or movies from there (eg: Kommissar Rex). Perhaps the subtitles help somewhat :rolleyes:.

Hume de Bruyn
11-12-2008, 12:45 AM
My first language is Afrikaans and my second language is English.

I can speak, write, read and understand both Afrikaans and English. However, I can more or less also read and understand Dutch, but not speak or write in it.

Lars
11-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Native language: Danish

I can read and understand spoken English extremely well and can speak it on an acceptable.

I can understand 90 % of Norwegian and 80 % of Swedish in writing. On the other hand, I have difficulties understanding the spoken word of these languages. :(

My German is quite poor. Altought I can read and understand articles in the papers but I cannot speak it well at all.

Teuton
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I speak Afrikaans.(So thus I understand Dutch.)

I'm equally fluent in English as well. My German is quite advanced, but I can't truly say I speak like a native, but I think a month or two in Germany would bring it to that standard.

And lastly...bewaar Afrikaans, Afrikaners!.:tongue

Saksenland
11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Dutch, German, English and my own dialect:thumbs up

Lenny
11-18-2008, 05:47 AM
- Native: American English (incl. ability to understand 95% of the thickest of the Southern-US accents and 90% black-American speech, possibly excluding Mississippi Delta. Non-standard British dialects I have a hard time with).

- Effectively-fluent: Spanish (Spaniards make fun of me though, saying I speak like a "Mexican" :D ...)

- Decent understanding/ability: "Regular" German (no regional dialects!:confused::p)

- A few words of some other languages.

(Note: 8 of my 16 great-great grandparents spoke Scandinavian tongues natively, but I do not speak them at all. My Iowa-born grandmother spoke only Norwegian till she started school at age 5 [in the early 1920s], but she didn't teach her sons. :().

Psychonaut
11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
My native language is English.

My job is to translate Mandarin Chinese material, so I'm competent enough in that.

I can understand basic German and French, but both of those need serious work.

Whiteboy
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Native Language is English and i speak some Italian but i don't think my Italian is very good.

Johnny Bravo
11-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Mother tongue: an obscure Slovenian dialect as well as standard Slovenian
Fluent in: German, English, Hungarian and Croatian/Serbian

I basically speak English with a British accent and German with a slight Austrian intonation if I feel like it.

When I speak Croatian, I intentionally throw in a few words from the Kajkavian dialect every now and then. It sounds just so spiffy. :thumbs up I'm basically fluent in both standard Hungarian as well as the dialect Huns speak in Slovenia.

I understand most Slavic languages with the exception of Polish. Dutch and Afrikaans are also rather easy to decipher.

Celtic Knight
11-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Mother Tongue: English

I can read, write, and understand spoken German, but slow with speaking.
I am advanced in Spanish. I can read and speak some Scottish Gaelic. I am currently learning French at the University...which to me is hard. And finally some basic Russian.

I would also like to speak Welsh.

Arne
10-10-2010, 11:23 PM
MotherTongue : Some sort of Southgerman Dialect between Austria and Baden Würtemberg
But i speak High German

Fluent in: German
And suprisingly i speak a little bit of English..

Tyrrhenoi
10-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Native: Dutch (Normal and Low-Saxon) (very good)
Native: Italian (Good)
English (Good)
French (not so good as it used to be)

Electronic God-Man
10-10-2010, 11:32 PM
My native language is American English.

I can manage to speak some German. I read it far better than I speak it though.

I can understand a good deal of written Spanish, because I've taken Spanish and Latin classes in high school.

I'd like to become fluent in German some day. Then I would move on to learn Swedish or something. I'm also interested in Polish and Italian.

Edit: I shouldn't forget that I really want to learn Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch! It's a good deal different from Hochdeutsch.

Raikaswinþs
10-10-2010, 11:41 PM
My primary language is English. I am however a native of Spanish and French.I studied Basque during my childhood, but have forgotten almost everything except random sentences and a few songs.

I can speak some polish because of my gf, and I am pretty much able to understand and communicate roughly in every romance language. (If my interlocutor speaks slowly and has enough patience lol)

Also I am intermediate in Japanese (4 years in uni) although I suspect that the lack of practice has left me a little bit rusty. I still think I understand a lot since I watch a lot of Anime, very often with no subs at all. But I'd need some time and a few Japanese pals to catch up with my speaking skills.

Currently I am learning some Scottish Gaelic as a Hobby, and trying to recover my Basque slowly (My Aitona is so mad at me... lol)

PD: I have also a sizeable knowledge of extint or artificial languages, such as Latin (3 years in high-school, 3 years in uni) Esperanto and Sindarin. LOL one day I'll give Klingon a go to...xDD

Vasconcelos
10-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Mother Tongue: Portuguese.

Fluent in English only (with British accent).

Can understand by reading French, Spanish and Italian, very limited knowledge of German.
I can read Greek and Cyrilic, eventhough I have no idea what I'll be saying.

However I am able to insult or swear in the following: Portuguese (duh), English, French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish and Turk.
Always handy.. :icon_ask:

Grumpy Cat
10-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Native: French

Fluent: English

Can speak a little: Thai, Bahasa Indonesia, Faroese

Can read: Spanish

Can swear in: Canadian French, Parisian French, English, Faroese, Norwegian, Afrikaans, Spanish, Thai, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesia, Cree

Languages I can code in: Perl, Korn, Java, PHP, JavaScript, VB, PL/SQL, ASP, Ruby on Rails, LOLCode

Comte Arnau
10-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Native level:
(Eastern) Catalan - (Northern) Spanish.

Speak/write/read/understand: (different levels of proficiency)
Aragonese - English - French - Italian - Portuguese/Galician - German - Other minor Romance languages, such as Occitan, Asturian or Sardinian

'Speak'/write/read/understand at a basic level:
Basque - Greek - Russian

'Speak'/write/read at a very basic level, can't really understand:
Swedish - Norwegian - Danish - Dutch - Polish - Romanian - Arabic - Mandarin - Japanese - Korean

Read/understand at a basic level, but don't speak for obvious reasons:
Latin - Old Greek - Quenya

Raikaswinþs
10-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Native level:
(Eastern) Catalan - (Northern) Spanish.

Speak/write/read/understand: (different levels of proficiency)
Aragonese - English - French - Italian - Portuguese/Galician - German - Other minor Romance languages, such as Occitan, Asturian or Sardinian

'Speak'/write/read/understand at a basic level:
Basque - Greek - Russian

'Speak'/write/read at a very basic level, can't really understand:
Swedish - Norwegian - Danish - Dutch - Polish - Romanian - Arabic - Mandarin - Japanese - Korean

Read/understand at a basic level, but don't speak for obvious reasons:
Latin - Old Greek - Quenya

:) there has to be a place where we can chat in proper Latin. English is a good Lingua Franca... but it lacks grandeur ...:P

Grey
10-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Native language: English

I can read/write/speak very basic German, and I can understand French fairly well, if it's not too fast.

I really want to learn Greek, but that'll have to wait for another time.

By the way, what are the most important languages for travel? I've heard English for Western Europe and German for Eastern Europe, but what about elsewhere? I assume Spanish for South America (and Spain itself, of course).

Comte Arnau
10-11-2010, 02:15 AM
By the way, what are the most important languages for travel? I've heard English for Western Europe and German for Eastern Europe, but what about elsewhere? I assume Spanish for South America (and Spain itself, of course).

Rather German for central Europe, English for the whole of Europe. It's already the first foreign language taught in every European country, although in practice it only works as a real second language in Scandinavia and the Netherlands.

Other than English:

Americas: Spanish
Africa and Middle East: French and Arabic
South Asia: Hindostani
North Asia: Russian
East Asia: Chinese

For some areas, Portuguese, Persian, Swahili and Malay.

Ibericus
10-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Native languages: Catalan, French, Castillian
non-native languages : English
Can understand: Italian, Portuguese, Occitan, Galician,

Svanhild
10-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Native: German
Fluent: English (Speaking/reading/writing)
Rather good in: Dutch (Reading)
Some basics in: Danish (Reading), French (a few school years: Forgot almost everything and never cared much for learning it :wink)

Monolith
10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Native: Croatian
Bad: English
Poor: French
Can understand: most Slavic languages, especially South Slavic ones as well as Russian

antonio
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I am (for the sake of originality) just to post my idiomatic frontiers: at listening I barely understand French, better Italian. At reading, I understand it to a limited extent. At writing or speaking: just English.

And an additional consideration: German always seemed to me really far away from modern English, besides obvious relevant ancient words or phrases like "Ich been ein Berliner" (more or less) which, BTW, could relate also English with Spanish. A conclusive evidence it's that Id never dare to try it and a friend of mine, with English skills almost incredible for a Spaniard, did never get beyond introductory stuff. To put it in another words: seem to me that a deep knowledge of English (at least from a Romance speaker perspective) helps just a little to learn German.

Comte Arnau
10-11-2010, 03:59 PM
And an additional consideration: German always seemed to me really far away from modern English, besides obvious relevant ancient words or phrases like "Ich been ein Berliner"...

The verb 'to be' took the forms of the verb 'to sindon' for the present, that's why it's I am, you are, he is... and not forms derived from ic béo, thu bist, hé bidh..., which may have given today something like 'I bee, you biss, he be', or something similar. That would have made it closer to the German and Dutch forms.

It is not that weird to combine one infinitive with the forms of another root. Think of the Romance languages, which use for 'to go' forms of the verb 'VADERE' (voy/vaig/vais/vado, vas, va...) but a different infinitive (IR/ANAR/ALLER/ANDARE...).

Groenewolf
10-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Native : Dutch
Second language : English
Some moderate understanding : German
Need of dictionary and notes on grammar : Classical Greek
Some loose phrases without knowing what I am saying* : Japanese
And a few words Korean thanks to my training in Tae Kwon Do.
Also some French.

*I seem to speak it with a heavy accent

Ushtari
10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Albanian
Swedish
English

I do understand Norwegian and Danish and a bit German.

jerney
10-11-2010, 05:17 PM
The verb 'to be' took the forms of the verb 'to sindon' for the present, that's why it's I am, you are, he is... and not forms derived from ic béo, thu bist, hé bidh..., which may have given today something like 'I bee, you biss, he be', or something similar. That would have made it closer to the German and Dutch forms.

It is not that weird to combine one infinitive with the forms of another root. Think of the Romance languages, which use for 'to go' forms of the verb 'VADERE' (voy/vaig/vais/vado, vas, va...) but a different infinitive (IR/ANAR/ALLER/ANDARE...).

I cant recall the exact reasons, but many European languages have highly irregular forms of the verb to be/to go

Lithium
10-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Native : Bulgarian
Good speaking/reading/understanding : English
Better : French (3 years intensive learning, although I don't like it)
I understand all South Slavic languages + Russian and Polish
I really want to learn North Germanic languages like Norwegian, Danish or Swedish and I really like the Celtic languages as a whole..

Nglund
10-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Native: English & French (considering that I've lived there for quite a long time)
I know some words in Scots too, but I honestly wouldn't be able to speak it :p

antonio
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I cant recall the exact reasons, but many European languages have highly irregular forms of the verb to be/to go

Ibex suggested the explanation: many of that plurality trace back to Indoeuropean conjugation of the verb meaning "to be". For example, "be" form and Spanish past "fui" share the same Indoeuropean root, the other most relevant, i recall is the one which originated "is" or Spanish "es". That was read for me on the pages i read from a book on Latin origins, before I get tired and return it back.

perikolez
10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Native:basque(bizkaian dialect and gipuzkoan batua) , castilian.
regular-bad:written english. Patetic spoken english and i cant understand spoken english.
I can read more or less portuguese , but i cant understand portuguese spoken by portugueses.

Sol Invictus
10-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Native: French Canadian

Speak, write and understand: English, some Spanish

Fintorah
11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
My repository isn't as impressive as my European friends', but my native language is English and I speak Spanish well enough to hold an awkward conversation.

I'm also learning French and plan to learn another Germanic, preferably Nordic language.

Svipdag
11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I am better at reading languages than at speaking them or understanding them when spoken.

My native language is English. As a child I was exposed to a rustic dialect of Norwegian which we knew as "bondespråk" ("farmer talk").

I have a competent reading knowledge of Latin, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish.

I can speak German, some Latin, some French, some Italian, and some Norwegian (with a bondespråk accent). I can understand slowly spoken German and Italian.

I have studied Sanskrit and Hindi but mastered neither, mainly because I took them up too late in life, when I had largely lost the ability to memorise vocabulary.

Radola
11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Native language: Czech
Nearly "native" language: Slovakian - as you all know, the country I´m living in used to be called Czechoslovakia, so it´s natural, that we fully understand the other language.
Satisfactory knowledge: English
Used to be a satisfactory knowledge: Latin, French
Not so good knowledge - Swedish (started to learn few months ago)

I also understand some Slavic languages like Polish - No problem with reading newspaper, but can´t speak properly.

The Ripper
12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I speak fluent Finnish, Swedish and English. I can read Danish and Norwegian, Norwegian I can even understand in spoken form if the dialect isn't too quirky. Estonian I understand to some extent, I'm able to to understand 70-80% of most news articles. When spoken it is often a little too fast for me to catch on. I studied German for a couple of years in school and have very basic skills in that language.

CelticTemplar
12-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Native Language: English

I can also speak fluent Portugues as well as basic spannish.

I hope to learn old norse, at one point or another.

Belenus
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I've noticed that a significant number of Apricians are multi-lingual. I'm curious as to which languages the members here are able to read, write, and speak. Also I'd like to know which languages you are learning or still plan to learn in the future. Also your reasons why you have learned/are learning/will learn them.

My first language is [Australian] English. Obviously a useful language to know. :D

At school I learned Chinese and Japanese, but never got very far with either of them. I know how to count, can read some Kanji, I know the Japanese Hiragana and Katakana syllabaries, and some random vocabulary. That's about it for those two.

I started learning German when I was 21. Took me about two months to become fluent, a process which was obviously sped up because I was living in Germany. Since then I've been back to Australia, but I'm in Germany again studying now, so that's obviously helping to extend my mastery of the German language. I still don't feel comfortable writing in German (although I'm quite capable of it, I just don't enjoy it), but I do a lot of reading, speaking, and listening on a daily basis.

I'm learning Latin. It's part of my university course and I'm also pushing myself at home quite independently of my uni curriculum. I want to master Latin. I have a thirst to learn this language that is driving me to spend between 4-6 hours a day studying it.

I've also just started learning classical Greek, but I'm doing that solely as an extra-curricular activity out of personal interest. All I've accomplished so far is that I have gained the ability to read and write in the Greek alphabet. Vocabularly and grammar are both still beyond me right now, but that will soon change.

In the future, after I've learned Latin and Greek, I intend to learn Irish-Gaelic because it is the language of my ancestors and I feel it my duty to learn it eventually.

I have a vague notion of learning Dutch and Swedish one day, because A) Dutch is easy when you know English and German (I already understand loads of it when I hear it or read it), and B) Swedish would be a good entry point into Scandinavian languages. I've heard that if you know one of them you can pretty much understand all of them. Certainly if you know Swedish then Norwegian should be easy enough.

Grumpy Cat
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I am fluent in French and English.

Germanicus
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
At junior and senior school i was taught French, but remembering the language in adulthood is another story.
Nowadays when i visit France i usually say to a Frenchman "voulez vous parlez Anglais" :)

celticlusitanian
04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
I can speak more or less good spanish, italian and french.
My native language is portuguese so its pretty easy to learn every language.

I also speak excelent english.
I can keep a minimum converstion in german because german is a very easy to learn language.

Language id like to know???i dunno, maybe old egyptyan looool!!

Gaztelu
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I am fluent in Basque, Castilian, and English. I can read, write, and make myself understood in French and Portuguese, although I have some difficulty understanding those languages when they are spoken. One day, I would love to learn Gothic and Welsh because:

The Gothic language is part of Iberia's cultural heritage.
I am a Welshophile (Is that even a word?).

Rouxinol
04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
The only two languages I can master are Portuguese (of course, since is my native) and English.

I learnt French in midde-school but I cannot make a conversation. Yet I mostly understand it when reading. As for Spanish, despite I never took any lesson of it, I can understand quite easily when spoken and written.

Once I took a summer course on German. I was quite good at it, despite the fact I found it a hard language to master (never got that die/der/des/dem and alike quite well).

In the future I would like to rehab my French and maybe learn Dutch.

Magister Eckhart
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Latin (Medieval/Classical), Greek (koine - still learning), German (Early Modern, Modern), English (obviously), Scots.

Low proficiency, but rudimentary understanding of French, Spanish, Dutch, Old Norse, and Japanese.

askra
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
i speak fluently only italian and english.
i speak bad spanish, but i understand everything of it,
i understand also catalan and french, and native language of my land, the sardinian, in particular the logudorese variant, that is considered the closest language to the latin spoken by the ancient romans,
i have also studied latin at school, but i don't remember much of it.

Gaztelu
04-07-2011, 11:10 PM
i speak fluently only italian and english.
i speak bad spanish, but i understand everything of it,
i understand also catalan and french, and native language of my land, the sardinian, in particular the logudorese variant, that is considered the closest language to the latin spoken by the ancient romans,
i have also studied latin at school, but i don't remember much of it.

You do not speak fluent Sardinian?

askra
04-07-2011, 11:15 PM
You do not speak fluent Sardinian?

no, i know it's a shame :p
i live in northern sardinia, where the local languages are related more to corsican, and they are not considered part of sardinian at all

Raikaswinþs
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Fluent (native) Spanish ; Fluent English ; conversational French, Italian, and Polish ; recreational Latin and Sindarin lol

Groenewolf
04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Double tread (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152&highlight=Greek)

Belenus
04-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Double tread (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152&highlight=Greek)

Ah, I had not thought to look in the Lounge for a topic based on language skills. But I guess it makes sense, as this isn't really related to linguistics per se.

Oh well.

Gaztelu
04-08-2011, 03:16 AM
A mod should merge these threads.

Alchemist
04-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm fluent in Slovenian, Italian and English. I can understand and communicate in Croatian/Serbian. I know a little bit of German (i can understand some basic stuff) and i'm learning Latin.

I would like to learn more languages if it will be possible, especially French and German, and also Irish Gaelic was always an interesting language to my ears.

Ushtari
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Albanian(fluent)
Swedish(fluent)
English(fluent)

Foxy
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Italian mothertongue, fluent in English, scolastic in German, some knowledge of French. I understand Spanish but have never studied it, just for the strong similarity to Italian.

I am able to translate from Latin and old Greek.

antonio
04-26-2011, 06:00 PM
At Spanish and Galician I'm capable of full communication. At Aragonese, Portuguese or Catalan (even Occitanian) I barely miss something. Italian and French are not so well understood. Classical Latin comes after, shamefully.

Outside Romance languages, I got a knowledge on English way above Spanish average (never traveled or extra-school learned because of it) ...maybe bizarrely surprising for many unaware of that facet of Spain educative system. :D

Arthur Scharrenhans
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Italian (native), English, Latin, Classical Greek.
I can understand written French pretty well. Written Spanish is more or less on the same level, but of course to Italian ears spoken Spanish is easier than spoken French. Decent comprehension of other Western Romance languages (in written form).
I'v got some very basic comprehension of written German that I'm desperately trying to improve, as there's tons of German-language literature in my field(s) of study.
Some understanding of Modern Greek, too, having studied its Classical ancestor and having been to Greece several times (I even took some classes 4 years ago).

Other dead languages I have studied: Syriac (forgotten everything), Classical Armenian (forgotten most of it), Old Persian, Sanskrit.

When I was young (by young I mean '21') I also tried to teach myself Icelandic but I soon gave up.

Dead languages I'd like to learn: Hittite, Old English.

Murphy
05-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I read and right Queen's English, speak Scottish English and I am learning Ecclesiastical Latin and Irish.

Eldritch
05-02-2011, 06:17 PM
A mod should merge these threads.

Done.

Anyway, I don't remember if I replied to the other thread or not, but here goes anyway:

My native language is Finnish, and I'm also fluent in English.

I also understand Spanish, and can speak it a little, and understand Portuguese, but not really speak it.

Sturmgewehr
05-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Fluent:

- Macedonian
- Albanian ( mother tongue )
- English

Very good:

- Turkish ( I used to study in a Private Turkish High school, don't be surprised cuz this very same high school was full of Macedonians as well, I actually had Macedonian room mates that used to study in this Turkish High School )

Can somehow speak OK, read well and Understand 90% at least:

- Serbian
- Bosnian

Panopticon
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Albanian (fluent)
English (fluent)
Norwegian (fluent)
French (learning it, I'm good at it though)

Barreldriver
05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
How many, and which languages do you speak?

How much skilled are you in them?

Me:

Native: Dutch Language

Speak, write and understand English, German, Low-Saxon, Afrikaans by reading and listening but not writting.

My native: Cohee/Southern Appalachian English

I speak Yankee English and took a semester of German (my professor I found out is a distant cousin of mine, he died last year). My skill in German is severely lacking, I can string together simple statements like "Ich trage gewoehnlich ein badeanzuege im winter" and count.

Tolleson
05-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Speak, read, write, comprehend and can sniff out BULLSHIT! :D

Ouistreham
05-02-2011, 08:05 PM
• Native French (+ various Norman dialects)
• Quite good German (hence some Dutch, ook een beetje Westvlaams)
• Conversational Swedish (därmed lite danska och danska)
• Decent Italian (quindi un poco spagnolo)
• Some English but I'm struggling with it.

I NEVER use English on the European continent. Never needed to.

I can understand 90 % of Norwegian and 80 % of Swedish in writing. On the other hand, I have difficulties understanding the spoken word of these languages. :(

Ta det lugnt, kom ihåg att svenskarna har det mycket svårare att fatta vad DU säger!

Oreka Bailoak
05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Mein Deutsch ist sehr gut nicht (1 year practice with audio tapes).
My english is fluent.
Mi espanol es bien (3 years study in high school).
Я знаю мало России (1 year study in college).

I wish I had just picked one foreign language and learned it- I shouldn't have wasted my time trying to learn so many (I've also played with the basics of Irish and Basque a little).

carpt
05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
:o Just English, though I'd like to learn a new language fluently

Peerkons
05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Fluent: Latvian and English
Quite good German
A bit of Danish
+ russian swear words

Winterwolf
05-05-2011, 06:10 PM
German is my mother tongue, I'm fluent in English and my skills in French and Spanish are poor to ok. (I've forgot too much since college and didn't have the chance to practice these two languages regularly). Anyway with those 3 I get along quite well while travelling.

I also know some Latin (intermediate Latin certificate), allthough I forgot most of it since university, so reading inscriptions on monuments can be problematic, especially since I forgot the usual abbreviations.

Bard
05-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Italian is my mother tongue, I'm fluent in English and I can read and understand decently spanish and french (spanish better than french).
I studied latin during high school and I studied some german by myself just a few months ago.
I really suck at german actually, I can barely read it, my vocabulary is poor and I can't speak it at all.

Labeat
05-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Albanian , english, and southslavic languages

Wanderlust
05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Greek (native)
English (fluent)
French (very well)
I can understand written Italian and Spanish pretty good.

Terek
06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Native: Russian, Chechen
Understand: Estonian, I speak poorly
Understand/read Ingush
Want to learn: German, Italian, Arabic, Georgian
I know isolated words and phrases of other Caucasian languages.

Efim45
06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Want to learn: German, Italian, Arabic, Georgian
Why?

Lucretius
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Native:Italian
Fluent: English (My brother taught me the Alabama version)
Understand and write: french (merci La Mettrie) portuguese
German - low level

BeerBaron
06-12-2011, 08:56 PM
english- native fluent
french- light conversational level, piss poor pronunciation, don't care for the language
japanese- very light conversational level can read hiragana and katakana

MST3K
06-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Native: English
Very Well: German
French; not as well as German
Basic: Scottish Gaelic

Would like to learn: Catalan, Welsh, Old English, Hungarian and Swedish.

Svipdag
06-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Including my native English, I can read nine languages: English, Latin, German, Norwegian. Swedish, Danish, Italian, French, and Spanish. However, I can speak only English and German (fairly fluently) "quaint" 19th century Italian, and bondespråk (the Bergen dialect of 19th century rural Norwegian)

Cato
06-14-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm a native speaker of North American English and once, about 20 years ago, I could carry on a basic conversation in Spanish.

Laubach
06-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Native: Portuguese
Fluent: German, Italian and French
Very well: Spanish
more or less: English
Understand: Latin
Understand/read: Dutch
Want to learn: Russian and Greek

Bridie
06-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Native : English :thumb001:
Fluent : None :(
Very Well : None :(
Basic : None :(
Neanderthal level : English! (Yay!!) :D

alzo zero
06-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Native : English
Fluent : None :(
Very Well : None :(
Basic : None :(
Neanderthal level : English! (Yay!!)
Since when Aussies speak English?

Bridie
06-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Since when Aussies speak English?
Oh true! :pout:

I'll reassess...

Native : should be English :ohwell:
Fluent : none :cry2
Very well : none :cry2
Basic : none :cry2
Neanderthal level : who can tell? I'm lucky if I manage to get out a few grunts every now and then. Could be Japanese. :confused:

Waidewut
06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Native- Latvian
Fluent- English
Very well- non
Basic- German and Russian
Want to learn- Russian fluently, Spanish

Talvi
06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Native: Estonian
Medium: Japanese
Weak: German, Russian, Korean.

Boudica
06-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Native:English
Fluent:Italian
Medium:French
Little:German

Efim45
06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Native: Russian
Knowledge of a few curse words: Russian
Want to learn: Scots(Ullans) and Cymraeg

Äike
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Native: Estonian
Medium: -
Between medium and little: Latin
Little: German, Finnish and Russian

W. R.
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Medium: Japanese
Weak: German, Russian, Korean.That's unusual for someone who is not a weaboo. You aren't weaboo, are you? :suspicious:

For me:

Fluent: English - My vocabulary is not that rich, but at least I can speak it with no effort, thus fluent.

Medium: Polish - I studied it, but I'm forgetting it now because of not using it much.

Low: German - The same story as with Polish.

Understand: Ukrainian - I have to mention it because of a big translation work I made once. But it would be difficult to speak Ukrainian, I would have to think over almost every word (especially over pronunciation).

Tel Errant
06-20-2011, 05:04 PM
- Native French, a bit better than average;
- Understand, speak and write reconstructed English based on basic grammar and vocabulary, false friends from French and Google translate;
- Understand, speak and write basic Spanish.

Other Latin languages I never learnt but I can read without much difficulty Catalan and Italian and understand some of them spoken (Italian better than Catalan); written Portuguese is less easy and when spoken completely obscur; some Romanian when written but none of it spoken.

Veneda
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Native: Polish

Fair good: Russian (thanks that I can understand Ukrainian and Byelorussian while listening or reading)

Rather good understanding of Czech and Slovakian when listening or reading

Limited knowledge of German

Want to learn one of south Slavic language.

Windischer
08-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Slovak - native, both literary and local dialect (different from literary)
Czech - secondary native
English - advanced quite far ahead
Polish - colloquial mix :D
German - very basic :D

I also understand Moravian, Rusyn dialects (mutually intelligible with Slovak) and Serbian.

Raikaswinþs
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Native Language: Castilian

First Language of use : English

Fluent in: French and Italian

Getting there in: Polish

Some skills with : Every other romance language

Getting started with: Japanese

Tarja
08-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Native: English.

Learned French at school for 5 years and still know almost nothing, somehow.

Swedish at I would say an intermediate level, which I plan to continue with until I am near enough fluent, but I have been neglecting it recently. I can read it pretty fluently but speaking and listening is where I lack, I need to go slowly.

Hope to move on to Norwegian after that! I would love to learn some Finnish too, I tried a while ago but it's difficult. Maybe something I'll attempt again in the future. :)

Dario Argento
08-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Spanish: Native level.
English: Pretty good.
Portuguese: Pretty good but still some language swapping, I borrow words unconsiously from Spanish.
All other romance languages: Can only understand them.
Hungarian: Very basic.
Arabic: Very basic.

Damião de Góis
08-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Native: Portuguese
More or less: Spanish and Galician

I also can understand a few things in Italian and French.

Edge
08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm a native speaker of English with an ability to speak French and Spanish at an equally bad level. I also know a bit of German.

AntonyCapolongo
08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
My native language is Southern French

I speak, read and understand : Provençal (Prouvençau de la Mar e Prouvençau dóu Rose), English (Britannic and American mixed, I think) and Catalan (Westerns Dialects/Valencian).

I know a little bit Italian (I've learned it during two years, but I've forget it...).

And I can understand by reading and usually speaking a little bit Castillan and Scots.

(Also read the Cyrillic and Greek alphabet)

Cail
08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Ok. Might be a bit extreme, but to be honest i can't even remember all of them. But i'll try:

Native, fluent: Lithuanian, Polish.

Native, not-that-fluent-at-all-due-to-lack-of-practice: Belarussian, some kind of Low German dialect.

Semi-native (spending half a year in England since childhood, later studying in a uni), fluent: English.

Read, write using a dictionary, speak with terrible errors: German, French(school).

Picked-up: Italian (living here).

Understand: Spanish, written Portuguese (thx to French and Italian). Written Dutch. Russian, Ukrainian, Slovak, written Czech, written South Slavic languages (all).

Being a major in Indo-European linguistics (Balto-Slavic focus) = some acquaintance with nearly all other I-E languages, living and extinct.

Canute
08-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Native language: English

I can read and understand Scots, but I can't speak it.

Can speak, read, and write Mandarin Chinese to an extent.

I know bits and pieces of Spanish, Italian, French, German, Russian, Hebrew and Welsh.

Lauranum
08-19-2011, 06:09 PM
I have Irish & English.

Can understand French a little, learned it in school but kinda have forgotten most by now. Am learning Dutch and plan to learn Norwegian very soon too, time permitting! :)

Neanderthal
09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Native: Spanish
Decent: English
Can read and understand: Portuguese, Italian, French
Can understand a little: German

Corvus
09-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Can read and understand: Italian, Czech
Can understand a little: Romanian, Russian (only some words and phrases)

Ianus
09-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Native: Italian
Decent: English and Spanish
Could read and understand: Portuguese, French
Can understand a little: Romanian

Windischer
09-15-2013, 05:04 PM
native: slovjak
native no. 2: slovak, czech
decent: english, rusyn
can read and understand: lower sorbian, polish, ukrainian and some others (mediocre)
can understand a little: most other slavic languages, german, hungarian

Rouxinol
09-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Reading, speaking, writing: English, French and Portuguese.

Can understand written and spoken Spanish.

MelinusMargos
09-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Native language: Italian & Eastern lombard language.
Fluent in: Western lombard language and English
I'm decent at French
I can understand pretty much all romance languages.
I can't understand most germanic languages.

Conte Mascetti
09-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Native: Italian
Can read and understand: German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese

Roy
09-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Native: Polish
Can read & understand much: French, other than my native West Slavic languages (Czech, Slovak etc.); but can't really speak in it + Ukrainian and bits of Serbo-Croat & Slovenian.
Can understand a little bit & write: German.

Shah-Jehan
09-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Native language: Bengali, Chittagonian(considered to be a dialiect)
I can also speak english, Urdu, Hindi and understand Assamese, I'm also currently learning a bit of Francais...

Rosier12
12-20-2013, 03:09 AM
Native language: Welsh and english.

I understand enough spanish and portuguese, only spoken, I would write it very slow and silly

noell
12-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Can read and understand: some Russian & Serbian since I'm really into these languages and their culture!

I'd love to speak some Polish, but not because I'm diggin' the way it sounds, but because it's actually really tough & challenging!

omnispo
12-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Native language is Ingles.

Decided i wanted to become bilingual a year ago. So for the Last year i have used subtitleseeker.com, vlc player, google translate, and piratebay ebooks en espanol, to the point where I am almost Semi-fluent in spoken Spanish. Can read and write it fairly well.

Next languages to learn: German, Italian and French. 2BCum A Renaissance man is not a bad plan...

Stimpy
12-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Native language: Swedish
Fluent in: English
I can very easily understand Danish, Norwegian and a little bit of Icelandic.

vibrant_
12-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Native languages are English and Spanish.

I can also speak very basic Portuguese as well.

Gospodine
12-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Native: English.

Conversational in with native accent/written competency: Serbo-Croat.

Formerly fluent in: German up until the age of 8.

Know naughty words in: Japanese (Highschool Language Elective).

Will understand simple sentences and root words in: Other South Slavic languages/Russian and possibly other Slavic tongues.

Can imitate the accents of: The entire Anglosphere pretty damn well.

Kazimiera
12-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Fluent in reading, writing and speaking: English and Afrikaans (and as a result written and sometimes spoken Dutch)

Understanding and speaking on basic level: Xhosa

Dandelion
12-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Native language: Dutch

Fluent in speaking, reading and writing: English
Fluent in understanding: French and German

Notions (relative passive understanding) of many Indo-European languages (especially those of the Romance family).

Vias
12-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Native language: Greek
Fluent: English, French
Understanding written and verbal: Italian. Can communicate with Italians but evident that I'm not fluent
Undertanding written: Spanish. They talk too fast...

armenianbodyhair
12-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Shit I forget everything.

Dandelion
12-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Shit I forget everything.

Not fluent in Serbian?

armenianbodyhair
12-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Not fluent in Serbian?

Or Italian...actually most of that went when I took Spanish in school. When did I post this I don't remember doing it lol

Yaroslav
12-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Native: Ukrainian, Russian*

*Grew up with Russian language TV, did not actually use it for conversation, reading, or writing.

Fluent: English (now more fluent than Ukrainian)

Limited knowledge: Hebrew, German

Tacitus
12-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Fluent in English, conversational in Italian, basic understanding of Spanish, and very, very limited Turkish.

Longbowman
12-26-2013, 01:02 AM
Fluent: Spanish, Italian
Good: German, Portuguese (well, I'll understand you, but probably respond in Spanish)
Could probably understand if I really tried: Dutch sometimes, French maybe.

Stanley
12-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Native English + however much I've retained from 4 years of high school Spanish

Leo Iscariot
12-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Native: English & Spanish.

Learning: Portuguese and French.