PDA

View Full Version : Empathy for one's own race neurally distinct from empathy from mankind

Agrippa
04-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Empathy for one's own race neurally distinct from empathy from mankind

From the related public release:

In a rare neuroscience look at racial minorities, the study shows that African-Americans showed greater empathy for African-Americans facing adversity – in this case for victims of Hurricane Katrina – than Caucasians demonstrated for Caucasian-Americans in pain.

"We found that everybody reported empathy toward the Hurricane Katrina victims," said Joan Y. Chiao, assistant professor of psychology and author of the study. "But African-Americans additionally showed greater empathic response to other African-Americans in emotional pain."

The more African-Americans identified as African-American the more likely they were to show greater empathic preference for African-Americans, the study showed.

Neural basis of extraordinary empathy and altruistic motivation

Vani A. Mathur et al.

Abstract

A central evolutionary challenge for social groups is uniting a heterogeneous set of individuals towards common goals. One means by which social groups form and endure is by endowing group members with extraordinary prosocial proclivities, such as ingroup love, towards other group members. Here we examined the neural basis of extraordinary empathy and altruistic motivation in African-American and Caucasian-American individuals using functional magnetic resonance imaging. Our results indicate that empathy for ingroup members is neurally distinct from empathy for humankind, more generally. People showed greater response within anterior cingulate cortex and bilateral insula when observing the suffering of others, but African-American individuals additionally recruit medial prefrontal cortex when observing the suffering of members of their own social group. Moreover, neural activity within medial prefrontal cortex in response to pain expressed by ingroup relative to outgroup members predicted greater empathy and altruistic motivation for one's ingroup, suggesting that neurocognitive processes associated with self identity underlie extraordinary empathy and altruistic motivation for members of one's own social group. Taken together, our findings reveal distinct neural mechanisms of empathy and altruistic motivation in an intergroup context and may serve as a foundation for future research investigating the neural bases of intergroup prosociality, more broadly construed.

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/04/empathy-for-ones-own-race-neurally.html

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WNP-4YMK1KN-3&_user=10&_coverDate=03%2F17%2F2010&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=8c72c4e69ec67cc6f19e21d6dd79c476

Usually for Altruism and Empathy to be really effective in larger number of people this feelings have to be somewhat more clear and directed, limited or hierarchical.

Thats just natural, because after all, it was in our evolutionary past primarily about kin selection and strengthening the own group, defined by ancestry and cultural inventar (genes and memes).

This is very important, not just for how evolution worked in the past (group competition and selection, higher individual and group selection), especially in the biodynamic centres, but even more so if looking at so called "multicultural societies" in which there is no such strong connectional element among the people.

Dienekes refers to this as the "friction", I described this also by the end result, an individualised and fractionised society. Simply put: A society in which egoism and pseudoindividualism rule, individuals are therefore easier to rule by their lower instincts and personal dependence, this is what Capitalism is heading to and the Plutocratic Oligarchy wants.

Another very important article about how we perceive other people's action if they are from the own/known group or not:

April 27, 2010
Human brain recognizes race

From the public release:

Typically, when people observe others perform a simple task, their motor cortex region fires similarly to when they are performing the task themselves. However, the UofT research team, led by PhD student Jennifer Gutsell and Assistant Professor Dr. Michael Inzlicht, found that participants' motor cortex was significantly less likely to fire when they watched the visible minority men perform the simple task. In some cases when participants watched the non-white men performing the task, their brains actually registered as little activity as when they watched a blank screen.

From the paper:

A deficit in the spontaneous ‘‘catching” of outgroup members’ actions and intentions can have serious consequences for intergroup interactions. Perception–action-coupling, and the sharing of somatic, autonomic, and emotional states, facilitate social understanding and foster helping, morality, altruism, and justice
(Batson et al., 1997; Cialdini, Brown, Lewis, Luce, & Neuberg, 1997). Thus, people might not be as responsive to outgroup member’s needs and feelings and be less likely to understand their intentions; they might also be less likely to help and effectively communicate with them.

This sounds like a good example of what I called friction (http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/04/hard-problems-in-social-science.html) in a recent post.

Also from the paper:

When we breakdown the omnibus outgroup correlation into the specific racial outgroups, we find results that are consistent with a Canadian context: the correlation was strongest for South-Asians, r (28) = .56, p less than .01, and followed by Blacks, r (28) = .36, p = .05; the correlation for East Asians, however, fell below traditional levels of significance, r (28) = .30, p = .11. Since mu activity is inversely related to motor cortex activity, these findings suggest that the more participants are prejudiced, the less their motor cortex fires in response to the passive viewing of outgroup members’ actions—an effect that is magnified for disliked outgroups (South-Asians, then Blacks, followed by East Asians).
The order of the outgroups suggests that genetic-phenotypic similarity is not the end-all, as South Asians are closer to whites but perhaps less familiar to them, due to a shorter period of their presence in Western societies.

Journal of Experimental Social Psychology doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2010.03.011

Empathy constrained: Prejudice predicts reduced mental simulation of actions during observation of outgroups

Jennifer N. Gutsell, and Michael Inzlicht

Abstract

Perception–action-coupling refers to the vicarious activation of the neural system for action during perception of action, and is considered important for forms of interpersonal sensitivity, including empathy. We hypothesize that perception–action-coupling is limited to the ingroup: neural motor networks will fire upon the perception of action, but only when the object–person belongs to the ingroup; if the object–person belongs to an outgroup these motor neurons will not fire. Using electroencephalographic oscillations as an index of perception–action-coupling, we found exactly this: participants displayed activity over motor cortex when acting and when observing ingroups act, but not when observing outgroups – an effect magnified by prejudice and for disliked groups (South-Asians, then Blacks, followed by East Asians). These findings provide evidence from brain activity for yet another detrimental aspect of prejudice: a spontaneous and implicit simulation of others’ action states may be limited to close others and, without active effort, may not be available for outgroups.

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/04/human-brain-recognizes-race.html

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WJB-4YPPR8Y-2&_user=10&_coverDate=03%2F27%2F2010&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=bcfc946b9d160d532736188f936ca5bb

SwordoftheVistula
04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
If I am reading this correct, it is that blacks are naturally more racist because of brain structure?

Agrippa
04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
If I am reading this correct, it is that blacks are naturally more racist because of brain structure?

Thats not the real point actually. Whats really important is, if you identify with one group, your empathy and possible Altruism will be
- different
- stronger

You also look more careful at what others do and how they feel if they are
- related
or you feel related to them.

It just makes a difference whether you identify with a people on a racial-ethnic-cultural base or not - I mean thats quite obvious, but now they can even learn more about how this difference being shown in the brain activity.

That way you can say more Empathy and Altruism in a homogenous group, which being pointed out in earlier studies too. The US-Capitalism with each asocial mentality is primarily made up by religious and pseudoreligious ideology, yet it was much easier there because it was no homogenous society in my opinion.

Don
04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
One of my favorite matters of knowledge. I will take a closer and detailed look later because I have some celebrations now.

Thanks.

SwordoftheVistula
04-27-2010, 09:41 AM
...each asocial mentality is primarily made up by religious and pseudoreligious ideology...

This seems to be most common in white people in general. Which is why I was wondering what aspects this study found in terms of differing levels of racism between the races.

Agrippa
04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
This seems to be most common in white people in general. Which is why I was wondering what aspects this study found in terms of differing levels of racism between the races.

I'm pretty sure that even if biological differences exist on that level, its much more an sociocultural issue. Because simple put, if you have no real ethnoracial identity you being proud of any more, those natural mechanisms will be definitely weaker - in my opinion.

If you would compare an iron Age Nordid with the average US Nordid today, even a direct descended, very same variant, the latter will definitely react differently, because they had a long indoctrination working on him.

Also, the higher the educational level, the more you have been through all stages of re-education and conditioning, the more intelligent and social successful you are, the more you being bound to the rules made up by the establishment. Following that obvious principle, again, today's Euro-Americans will be more brainwashed, even or especially the more intelligent ones, about race issues, than the average blacks.

Because, even among African Americans:

The more African-Americans identified as African-American

You can do almost everything to people, now interesting is if STILL, even in a person which was brainwashed, the same principle is at work.

Don
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
This is related to a tabu matter of knowledge: the high heritability of moral consciousness.

29 march in "Proceedings" scientific magazine, after a study with the Spaniard Joan Camprodon from Hardvard, showed the results of the lesser effect of education in front of genes in moral judgments, sense of justice, located in previous studies of well known Antonio Damasio in specific prefrontal regions.

This means basically that our sense of justice and moral have a genetic-biologic component with a weak environmental and educational modulation power, contrary as recurrently has been told.

Don't expect to find these scientific studies showed in mass media.
Relate etnia, genes and crime tendencies or inferior development of senses of justice and honor is, despite an EVIDENT RELATION, a Tabú for our multicultural and pro-intermixing society.

Anthropos
04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Empathy for one's own race neurally distinct from empathy from mankind

Of course it is. Empathy for mankind requires some insight into the human condition, whereas "empathy for ones own race" requires nonesuch. The latter tries to elevate an incidental, rather limited and relatively insignificant, inempathic aspect of the human being to a level way above its scope. Race is only an abstraction. Empathy for ones own race is something impossible. Belief in such things is a sign of mental incapacity and illness.

Lenny
04-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Empathy for ones own race ... is a sign of mental incapacity and illness.

Hey Anthropos, Do you own any property? A home perhaps? If so, it is "a sign of mental-illness and insanity" that you keep this home and not give it away to strangers. You are being bigoted in favor of your own family and discriminating against other humans!! :icon_cool:

Race is just a term for an extended family.

Sadie
04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I feel no empathy for Spaniards and Italians and I do consider them as people of different race. In fact, they are of different race. Some racial theorists of earlier times recognized two races in Europe, but today, in times of EU and the pan-European PC, it is forbidden to say that.

Agrippa
04-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I feel no empathy for Spaniards and Italians and I do consider them as people of different race. In fact, they are of different race. Some racial theorists of earlier times recognized two races in Europe, but today, in times of EU and the pan-European PC, it is forbidden to say that.

Who did so?

Many Southern Europeans are Nordid, Alpinoid, Dinarid, Atlantomediterranid, probably even the majority. Now those are racial forms which can be found in the Northern areas too, even Gracilmediterranids made it quite far up in the North at times and are an European racial form.

So what kind of "different races" is that supposed to be and which theorists of any scientific significance, nor or then, said that?

I read quite a lot of authors, anthropologists of all backgrounds with many different ideas, but all of them used to distinguish inside of the Europid race and European people racial types which show a regional overlap and no reasonable author made just "2 races" up.

A lot of things are forbidden now indeed, but just recently Andreas Vonderach made a book which sums most racial typological systems up in short. Not the best work I can imagine, but a solid one overall.

http://www.ares-verlag.com/In-Vorbereitung-169-11/Vonderach--Anthropologie-Europas.html

You can order it via Amazon even.

Also very good, an even better work, but harder to get and older, Rainer Knussmann, Vergleichende Biologie des Menschen. Lehrbuch der Anthropologie und Humangenetik, last edition 1996.

Don
04-28-2010, 02:41 PM

No, it is not forbidden to say that, it's just not recommended if you want others don't think you are a deep and hopeless idiot.

Anyway, I celebrate that you admit there is no empathy between you and my kind, it would be an explicit insult to my glorious breed.

Agrippa, about the sources of that investigation, I have them just here in castilian but I'm quite busy now to translate them. I will look in the net for the english version of the study.

Ibericus
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
And what race that would be ? Since Spaniards are no different genetically from other Western Europeans

Sadie
04-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Spaniards are half-niggers.

Concerning their national character, Spaniards are shit. And they are a deeply frustrated nation due to many defeats they suffered at the hend of the English.

Miserable, whiny lot, cowards, but very strong on words and wanking over their (supposed) "heroic" history. Lagging behind Europe in every possible respect, in science, technology, development, creation of wealth etc. Lazy receivers of help, but also very noisy in displaying their "pride" (over what?) Eternally frustrated, with complex of lesser worth deeply seated into their national character, combined with baseless bragging, which is meant only to hide that complex.

Sadie
04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey Anthropos, Do you own any property? A home perhaps? If so, it is "a sign of mental-illness and insanity" that you keep this home and not give it away to strangers. You are being bigoted in favor of your own family and discriminating against other humans!! :icon_cool:

Race is just a term for an extended family.

How do you explain the northern Europeans tacitly consenting to be robbed by southern Europeans?

Liffrea
04-28-2010, 03:46 PM
An interesting study.

In evolutionary psychology most theories relating to “xenophobia” and in-group/out-group behaviour are traced back to the small clans (from as few as 20 to as many as 200 individuals) that humans would have lived within in hunter gatherer times when it was common to recognise all members of the group. Krebs and Denton (1997) have claimed group behaviour is itself an adaptation. Seems a reasonable suggestion, whilst it’s not claiming “xenophobia” is determined the competition between smaller groups would have led to a “mechanism” that makes ethnocentric behaviour a vital strategy in survival situations.

Don
04-28-2010, 06:16 PM
An interesting study.

In evolutionary psychology most theories relating to “xenophobia” and in-group/out-group behaviour are traced back to the small clans (from as few as 20 to as many as 200 individuals) that humans would have lived within in hunter gatherer times when it was common to recognise all members of the group. Krebs and Denton (1997) have claimed group behaviour is itself an adaptation. Seems a reasonable suggestion, whilst it’s not claiming “xenophobia” is determined the competition between smaller groups would have led to a “mechanism” that makes ethnocentric behaviour a vital strategy in survival situations.

Nomadic Ethnic groups, as Gypsies or Jewish, carry a quite different behaviour tendencies baggage according to logic, history and evolutive psychology.

Lobster
06-22-2023, 05:44 PM

There is only one race in the world. Human race. Humans are barely different from animals by genetic, let alone other humans. And no,south Europeans, north Europeans, west Europeans, east Europeans, north Africans, west Asians, south Asians all belong to same "race". All of them are Caucasoid aka West Eurasian aka Europoid aka "white"