PDA

View Full Version : Which country is culturally the closest to Romania (apart from Moldova)?

Wunderkind
12-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Vote and discuss

Cristiano viejo
12-18-2014, 12:52 AM
I always close Romania with Bulgaria, in many aspects.

Wunderkind
12-18-2014, 12:56 AM

Yes, I think it's coming from the same joining in EU or something, because I think the same way. But Romania is actually really hard to decide.

Wunderkind
12-18-2014, 11:12 AM
bump

GERULA
01-01-2015, 05:39 PM

For greater clarification ...Our days Romania and Bulgaria ..zero ties ....there is a strong connection in the ancient times of the Thracians which lived in both areals ..some city names are still romanian ( Targoviste, Silistra )
Video re thracian ancestry :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm12S_tpufU

Ballist
01-01-2015, 05:48 PM
The Thracians/ancient Romanians were very close with the Illyrian/ancient Albanians. Kosovo was the contact zone between us and why we have more Thracian than in southern Albania.

Archduke
01-01-2015, 05:55 PM
For greater clarification ...Our days Romania and Bulgaria ..zero ties ....there is a strong connection in the ancient times of the Thracians which lived in both areals ..some city names are still romanian ( Targoviste, Silistra )
Video re thracian ancestry :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm12S_tpufU

What does Targovishte means in Romanian? Or Silistra?

I cant think of any cultural similarities between Romania and Bulgaria. The Danube river divided us and we never lived together, we are familiar only with Vlachs who are not exactly Romanian. Bulgaria was always culturally oriented mainly to the South.

Trun
01-01-2015, 06:04 PM
I cant think of any cultural similarities between Romania and Bulgaria.

Almost everything we have in common with Serbia and Greece.

Archduke
01-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Almost everything we have in common with Serbia and Greece.

Well both Romanians and Bulgarians are Eastern Orthodox so there must be many similarities, but I am talking about traditions which are result of centuries of living together and intermixing. You cant compare our similarity with Greece with Romania or even Serbia.

The danube river always divided us and as u know back in the 19th century the only pure, 100% populated with Bulgarians cities were mainly North of the Balkan mountains. While every Southern Bulgarian city had -/+ 20% Greek minority - Plovdiv, Odrin, Kostur, Solun.

Northern Greeks sing the same songs as us, dance the same dances...traditions like Nestinarstvo are unique for Bulgaria&Greece only. I can't think of traditions which are unique for both Romania and Bulgaria.

Trun
01-01-2015, 06:40 PM
I can't think of traditions which are unique for both Romania and Bulgaria.

Martenitsa.

Archduke
01-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Martenitsa.

You have it in Eastern Serbia, Greece and Albania too. Its not something unique for Bulgaria and Romania.

The reason why today Bulgaria and Romania are somewhat similar is because both countries have similar economical history. I hate when Bulgarians who view Romanians as our closest nation tell me go to Bucarest to see how similar we are. Are the ugly commie blocks, dirty air and gypsy ghettos the things which make us culturally similar? I dont think so.

Trun
01-01-2015, 06:53 PM
You have it in Eastern Serbia, Greece and Albania too. Its not something unique for Bulgaria and Romania.

Because Bulgarians used to live there.

Arbėrori
01-01-2015, 06:56 PM
The only similarity apart from being Balkan are the vulgar Latin shared words. I find Albania much closer culturally to Bulgaria than Romania for example.

Archduke
01-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Because Bulgarians used to live there.

Its a paleo-Balkan tradition.