PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my 23andme results

Pfeifer
12-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Hello, I got my 23andme results! I'm not into genetics, so I need some help to understand more about it.

I'm from Brazil.

My maternal line is H1. It seems accurate, since my maternal great-grandmother was from Italy.

However, my paternal line is E1a1. 23andme has very poor informations about it! They only give informations about the broad Haplogroup E, saying it is from Africa, but they dont say anything about the specific E1a1 Haplogroup!

I googled it but the informations are not conclusive! I understood that E1a1 is now also know as M-44 and it looks like a rare Haplogroup found mostly in Mali, but many Jews also carry this Haplogroup.

I'm very confused!

ps: my father's family has been living in Brazil for many generations and my ancestral composition is not ready yet.

Thrax
12-23-2014, 04:24 PM
First of all congrats for belonging to haplogroup E, the coolest ydna haplogroup :cool:
Haplogroup E1a1 specifically reaches the highest frequencies in West Africa.
Is your "countries of ancestry" available yet? This should give much more information along with the ancestry composition regarding your origins, since ydna haplogroups only give a glimpse of where your first male ancestor came from.

Gaston
12-23-2014, 04:46 PM
E1a peaks in West Africa but is also present in North Africans, Jews and some Europeans. Knowing you're from Brazil, the most likely origin is West Africa but anything is possible. On my sharing list, I have one "white" Cuban and one Ashkenazi Jew with E1a1 and one North African with E1a*.

Although your Ancestry Composition isn't available yet, you can already see where you cluster in the ancestry tool called Global Similarity Map if I'm not wrong.

Pfeifer
12-23-2014, 05:10 PM
First of all congrats for belonging to haplogroup E, the coolest ydna haplogroup :cool:
Haplogroup E1a1 specifically reaches the highest frequencies in West Africa.
Is your "countries of ancestry" available yet? This should give much more information along with the ancestry composition regarding your origins, since ydna haplogroups only give a glimpse of where your first male ancestor came from.

No, not yet!!

Is anobody else E1a1 here? It seems to be so rare! Are there many y-chromossomes? I feel so lonely ;/

Pfeifer
12-23-2014, 05:13 PM
E1a peaks in West Africa but is also present in North Africans, Jews and some Europeans. Knowing you're from Brazil, the most likely origin is West Africa but anything is possible. On my sharing list, I have one "white" Cuban and one Ashkenazi Jew with E1a1 and one North African with E1a*.

Although your Ancestry Composition isn't available yet, you can already see where you cluster in the ancestry tool called Global Similarity Map if I'm not wrong.

I cluster in Mozabite population :eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty:

This is strange, since I dont have any known Muslim background, at least in the last generations. But many people say I look Arab, so...it's atrange anyway

Gaston
12-23-2014, 05:39 PM

This is strange, since I dont have any known Muslim background, at least in the last generations. But many people say I look Arab, so...it's atrange anyway

Do you have a screen-cap? It's possible to tell if you have Native American ancestry from your position.

Gauthier
12-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Post your 23andme results, that will clear up things.

SupaThug
12-23-2014, 05:46 PM
I am really curious about seeing your results!Where in Brazil are you from?

Pfeifer
12-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Do you have a screen-cap? It's possible to tell if you have Native American ancestry from your position.

Whats this?

Pfeifer
12-23-2014, 09:06 PM
I am really curious about seeing your results!Where in Brazil are you from?

Minas

SupaThug
12-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Minas

From Belo Horizonte?Or any other city?

Gaston
12-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Whats this?

Screen capture, screen shot: a picture of your position in the Global Similarity plot.

Pfeifer
12-24-2014, 12:44 AM
I got my ancestry composition results

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?152903-Pfeifer-23andme-results&p=3250958#post3250958