PDA

View Full Version : Is the notion of human rights an unrealistic ideal?

Austin
05-01-2010, 08:54 AM
I have been troubled with the whole concept of human rights because while I do not feel I am an evil person on a moral and sincerity level, I simply cannot personally believe human rights actually exist save for the realm of a perfect world, fantasy scenario type world.

How does one who really believes in them and not just for the sake of being considered 'a good guy', how do you convince a dark realist like me that this concept could actually be applied on a global level considering the different cultures and different global interests that undermine the notion of human rights?

Lulletje Rozewater
05-01-2010, 11:00 AM
I have been troubled with the whole concept of human rights because while I do not feel I am an evil person on a moral and sincerity level, I simply cannot personally believe human rights actually exist save for the realm of a perfect world, fantasy scenario type world.

How does one who really believes in them and not just for the sake of being considered 'a good guy', how do you convince a dark realist like me that this concept could actually be applied on a global level considering the different cultures and different global interests that undermine the notion of human rights?

The only human rights in existence are Fight or Flight

Cato
05-01-2010, 03:44 PM
When viewed as having a strictly metaphysical origin, yes. Religion and human rights often don't get along too well.

When viewed as being the natural consequence of civilized society based upon law, order, and secularism (i.e. religion not determining the course of human society), no.

Human rights exist as a part of natural laws, but are these natural laws from God(s) or are they merely a naturally-occuring theme brought about human interactions? I believe in God, but I don't believe that God has to tell us how to behave; rather, it's hardwired into us as a matter of nature and design.

Loddfafner
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
While the philosophical justifications for human rights may have been greatly exaggerated, I see them as a convenient illusion. I see them as an obstacle to organized, catastrophic predatory behavior.

Psychonaut
05-01-2010, 05:17 PM
While the philosophical justifications for human rights may have been greatly exaggerated, I see them as a convenient illusion. I see them as an obstacle to organized, catastrophic predatory behavior.

Yes. They exist in no absolute sense, but are a fictive framework which is itself made possible only by the implicit threat of violence. It is indeed a "might makes right" scenario that we have intentionally overwritten with a more idealistic pattern that has a myriad of ethical and pragmatic benefits.

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

Grey
05-01-2010, 05:25 PM
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

;)

Truth be told, I did find that a very truthful statement. Human rights, and morals in general, are an illusion, and are only protected by our proficiency to violate them in the right circumstances.

Austin
05-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't think human rights exist on any level beyond our desiring them to. How can one say they actually do when various people are being violently raped as we speak, many of which will be dumped in a vacant lot after. I just do not see anyone who truly believes in them as being in tune with the world they live in, rather the world they wish they lived in.

Anyone can change human-created 'human rights'.... hence how are they rights if they are changeable by some government entity based on that entity's conclusions? That is another aspect I see as flawed and an indicator that human rights are a mere result of restless intellectuals who needed a new social cause for the masses to rally behind.

Arrow Cross
05-02-2010, 12:59 AM
All concepts of WWII and post-WWII international law based on "antifascism" are inherently unnatural and unrealistic. They can be enforced while global power is in its creators' hands, but after that, these concepts will collapse like a castle of cards.