PDA

View Full Version : Second Life

Óttar
05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Anyone here play Second Life? Is it difficult or user friendly?

Someone built a virtual Temple to Aphrodite and the Pillars of Hercules there. Two real countries have virtual embassies on there, language academies (The Goethe Institute and Real Academia) have e-buildings, and there are virtual museums and virtual classrooms with live professor lectures.

I hear it costs money and that the game has its own economy. I also heard it's hard to navigate and takes a lot of technical know how.

If anyone's familiar with this game, discuss.

Majar
05-06-2010, 01:25 AM
I play it. I find it easy to navigate, if you can play a FPS you can handle this game. You choose a first name, pick from a list of surnames, and create a 3-D 'avatar' of yourself (or your alter-ego). My digital alter ego is an East African woman. :p

The game uses a currency (L$250 = approx. $1US) buyable with credit card, but this is optional. The program is free to use and you can find everything you need for free. I don't pay anything to play it. I use it mainly for chat, art and 3-D modelling practice.

It is as you describe multi-faceted, there are lectures, roleplay, combat, shopping, nightspots, live performances, hookers(!) and just about anything you'd encounter in real life. It is fun to explore and see all the creativity involved. Great way to spend a rainy day. :wink

Óttar
05-07-2010, 03:12 AM
I joined today and I don't know how to go anywhere except for the stupid orientation islands. How do I go to the Aphrodite Temple and the place based on Moorish Spain? Their Age Verification thing is awful.

Rainraven
05-07-2010, 04:38 AM
You've got about as far as I did.. Sorry can't help you, I got angry and rage quit, haven't been back on it since! :p

Óttar
05-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Now I know how to teleport. I became a citizen of ROMA (SPQR) almost immediately, and I think I'm going to sign up to be an acolyte in the Roman priesthood. :P My guy nabbed one of the free togas and he wears that now. They actually hold simulations of the old rites. They even allow simulated animal sacrifice, as long as its not too gory. :D

Dies Mercurii is May 16th and Dies Bonae Deae is the 15th.

Awesome. :D

I'm also gonna get in on the Goethe Institut island and avail myself of the free German conversation meeting.

Grey
05-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Eh, I might have to check this out for the Roman thing.

Electronic God-Man
05-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Just joined. My name is Obadiah Reynaud.

This makes my internet lag like hell though....might be unplayable.

Óttar
05-09-2010, 12:00 AM
It's clunky as Hell and I don't even know how to eat a sacred cake from the Roman temple. It's says in the object description "eat as an offering to the Gods" and I'm like, "How???!"