PDA

View Full Version : Proud atheist here to answer your questions!

Loki
01-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Ask me any question you want on religion, belief, or the lack of it :thumbs up

Hithaeglir
01-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Do you avoid black cats?

Leto
01-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Are you an atheist?

Vasconcelos
01-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Do you believe hats are evil?

Graham
Do you avoid black cats?

Black cats in Britain are seen as lucky.

Damião de Góis
Can you prove god doesn't exist?

Alchemysta
01-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Do you know that Russia will lead the history in future?

Also
01-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Do you claim that God does not exist or that God probably does not exist or abstain from judgement?

oh-nahhh
01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Hey you have 47,477 posts.

Go play the lottery.

Ballist
01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
What religion were you previously if you believed in one at all?

Hithaeglir
01-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Black cats in Britain are seen as lucky.

Ah, i didn't know.I thought only Japan was the exception.

Graham
01-01-2015, 08:09 PM
As much as he can prove that the flying pasta god doesn't exist.

But can you? :lightbul:

Loki
01-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Do you avoid black cats?

No, if fact I "owned" (it was actually someone else's) a black cat. Absolutely adored him! :)

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 08:11 PM
How do you feel about agnostics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0sGN5wlfhs

Graham
01-01-2015, 08:12 PM
What do you think in the process of playing god? As in new modified genetic creations. For example a spider was created that could create fine silk, among the strongest substances known to man. Or the come back of woolly mammoths.

Loki
01-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Are you an atheist?

Yes.

Do you believe hats are evil?

No. The concept "evil" is something ill-defined for me (even though I use the term at times to describe people who lack conscience).

No. I also cannot prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist (someone else said it also before in this thread)

Do you know that Russia will lead the history in future?

I certainly hope so!

Do you claim that God does not exist or that God probably does not exist or abstain from judgement?

I claim he (with specific reference to the Biblical god) does not exist.

Hey you have 47,477 posts.

Go play the lottery.

Gambling = losing money in the vast majority of cases. So I'll pass. :)

Why don't you ban Arberori?

He has not committed a bannable offence in my opinion and contributes a lot to the forum. In general, I'm not a big fan of bannings and only use it in well-deserved cases.

How do you feel about agnostics?

I respect them. Their worldview is not much different from mine. Even though I classify myself as an atheist, I still keep an open mind and am very open to correction. Therefore I actually possess a fair amount of agnostic thinking patterns.

Loki
01-01-2015, 08:22 PM
What do you think in the process of playing god? As in new modified genetic creations. For example a spider was created that could create fine silk, among the strongest substances known to man. Or the come back of woolly mammoths.

I like the idea that we are (or will be) able to do that, and support such endeavours.

Dirty Harry
01-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Are you spiritual, do you believe in the soul?

If not, how do you reconcile the fact that your spirit will not live on, and that after death only nothingness awaits? Do you find that 'fact' comforting? Have you ever felt existential despair?

Do you believe that as you lay dying you will still consider yourself an atheist? Do you try to force your views on others, and do you disparage those who aren't willing to take you at your word and adhere to the Atheist theology?

Graham
01-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Ah, i didn't know.I thought only Japan was the exception.

Yes. In America it is the other way round.

Cats are a big thing in Celtic mythology & Paganism, where it possibly comes from. You know Cat Sìth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_s%C3%ACth) and all that. whether that be luck or not so lucky.

Sideritis
01-01-2015, 08:31 PM
How did you made that lap from Agnostic to Atheist? Any convincing prove? Or you were a Theist before?

Hithaeglir
01-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Yes. In America it is the other way round.

Cats are a big thing in Celtic mythology & Paganism, where it possibly comes from. You know Cat Sìth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_s%C3%ACth) and all that.

"If one of these witches chose to go back into their cat form for the ninth time, they would remain a cat for the rest of their lives."
So this is why we say that cats have nine lives?

Loki
01-01-2015, 09:42 PM
What religion were you previously if you believed in one at all?

Christian. I was very committed.

Are you spiritual, do you believe in the soul?

No. Emotions, feelings, desires, etc emanate from the brain. Brain functions. Without a brain, you don't have a "soul".

If not, how do you reconcile the fact that your spirit will not live on, and that after death only nothingness awaits? Do you find that 'fact' comforting? Have you ever felt existential despair?

I try to relate death with the state of not yet being born. Non-existent. It is kind of a shame that our accumulated intellect, experiences, feelings and so forth will one day become as nothing. But it's everyone's fate. We're all going to die, 100%. To me, life after death is the continuation of one's genetics. Therefore, our children will become what we are now. For this reason I want to have children. Not that it would matter to me when I am dead, but it would be a comforting thought on my deathbed that I have offspring who are like me. Who knows ... one day someone may find a "cure" for ageing. But even if humans somehow manage to survive, earth will one day not be habitable aymore, or another mass-extinction of life on eart will occur. It is inevitable in the long run. (Humans could of course look to colonize other planets or moons in the future once earth has had its days).

Do you believe that as you lay dying you will still consider yourself an atheist?

Most probably. I don't believe in this "keep all your bases covered" approach. It is cowardly.

Do you try to force your views on others, and do you disparage those who aren't willing to take you at your word and adhere to the Atheist theology?

No, not at all. But I don't hesitate to tell people what I believe. It's amazing the hate I have received from family members because of this, yet it does not upset me. Incidentally, my one sister today told me in all caps: "YOU ARE NOT MY BROTHER ANYMORE. I DISOWN YOU".

How did you made that lap from Agnostic to Atheist? Any convincing prove? Or you were a Theist before?

I have not really travelled through an agnostic stage. I went straight from Christian believer to atheist. The first years were difficult and depressing for me.

Jägerstaffel
01-01-2015, 09:44 PM
As another proud atheist, but a much lazier one, I appreciate you taking time to handle this one, Loki.

Leto
01-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Why did you abandon the faith?

Dombra
01-01-2015, 09:46 PM
1. What do you think of Buddhism?

2. When did you develop your interest in Confucianism?

3. What do you think of "fedora atheist" jokes? :p

Shah-Jehan
01-01-2015, 09:50 PM
what was religion/denomination before you were atheist? How long ago did you become an atheist? Was it one of the best choices of your life?

Sideritis
01-01-2015, 09:57 PM
I have not really travelled through an agnostic stage. I went straight from Christian believer to atheist. The first years were difficult and depressing for me.

Hmm interesting. I feel you. It should be traumatic. You are the 5th person I hear that went from hardcore believer to atheism. But there is always a similar pattern that the theist stage was mainly forcefully introduced from the family. So that makes it extra harder to become atheist, since the family will be very disappointed that their son is not a believer. Which I see is also the case. But I don't know if it is of any console, but your sister cannot disown you, unless she is your mother. She seem pretty upset thought, but I hope is fixable.

Meanwhile, I wish I was an atheist but up so far I have no prove for that, so I can fit on the agnostic category, while I find the religions very amusing.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 09:59 PM
God is real.

Jägerstaffel
01-01-2015, 10:02 PM
God is real.

Yes, he is. He is a one-eyed wanderer.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Yes, he is. He is a one-eyed wanderer.

What fascinates me is Norse mythology is very similar to Christianity. Woden when he was the wanderer was very similar to Jesus in a way.

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Why did you abandon the faith?

Because I came to the realisation that all religion is man-made, and not divinely inspired. I found no clear proof of the existence of God.

1. What do you think of Buddhism?

2. When did you develop your interest in Confucianism?

The teachings of Buddha, Confucius and others were very good in some instances. Buddhism and Confucianism are more lifestyles than dogmatic Abrahamic religions, and therefore draw more respect from me. Within Abrahamic religions one can also find very useful guidance, like some of the teachings attributed to Jesus. It has to a great extent shaped my life and character. I cannot deny that.

My interest in Confucianism developed when I began to study aspects of Chinese culture and civilization.

3. What do you think of "fedora atheist" jokes? :p

I don't know about it, without having to google it ...

what was religion/denomination before you were atheist? How long ago did you become an atheist? Was it one of the best choices of your life?

I was a Protestant Christian. I became an atheist not long after 2000. If was definitely one of the best choices of my life, yes.

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:10 PM
God is real.

Prove it.

Graham
01-01-2015, 10:20 PM
What do you think of Humanism Loki?

LightHouse89
Prove it.

I am not a scientist but I believe that God is real.

I find that it is the simplistic answer to existence itself. Why do we exist? The atheist answer does not impress me. I believe in intelligent design because how else can we explain who we are or what we are. I think God made us the way we are. I think he intended for atheists to exist. Will they go to hell? It is not for me to judge who goes to hell or heaven. No pope on earth can make that decision.

I believe that God is behind it. A big bang theory is nothing more than a theory. How can scientists prove this is reality? Did they see the big bang? Did they witness evolution?

Science is our way of understanding natural occurrences but the sophistication of intelligent life on Earth did not spring up from a single celled organism from 10 millennia ago.

Sure the bible isn't a great way of looking at the history of Mankind and our origins [they are stories nothing more]. Scientists cannot prove much in terms of existence and why we exist as everything they base these atheist beliefs on are not even proven. I believe God exists but we do not understand him or even if it is a him or a her. I don't think he is a man or woman. I do not believe he is a hominid period. The problem with Christians is they have given God a human shape and personality. I do not believe divine powers are of human form.

I tend to believe the Ancient Alien astronaut theory can suggest that God is real but our understanding of him is rather uncertain.

Alchemysta
Prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMGWWpyFGFU

Nyx
01-01-2015, 10:21 PM
What do you think about the double slit experiment that shows that objects only exists with real properties when observed?

If you can't prove god doesn't exist, shouldn't you be an agnostic?

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:24 PM

I find that it is the simplistic answer to existence itself. Why do we exist? The atheist answer does not impress me. I believe in intelligent design because how else can we explain who we are or what we are. I think God made us the way we are. I think he intended for atheists to exist. Will they go to hell? It is not for me to judge who goes to hell or heaven. No pope on earth can make that decision.

I believe that God is behind it. A big bang theory is nothing more than a theory. How can scientists prove this is reality? Did they see the big bang? Did they witness evolution?

Science is our way of understanding natural occurrences but the sophistication of intelligent life on Earth did not spring up from a single celled organism from 10 millennia ago.

Sure the bible isn't a great way of looking at the history of Mankind and our origins [they are stories nothing more]. Scientists cannot prove much in terms of existence and why we exist as everything they base these atheist beliefs on are not even proven. I believe God exists but we do not understand him or even if it is a him or a her. I don't think he is a man or woman. I do not believe he is a hominid period. The problem with Christians is they have given God a human shape and personality. I do not believe divine powers are of human form.

I tend to believe the Ancient Alien astronaut theory can suggest that God is real but our understanding of him is rather uncertain.

Who created God?

Alchemysta
01-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Who created God?

Vince McMahon

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:25 PM
What do you think about the double split experiment that shows that objects only exists with real properties when observed?

Not necessarily.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Further more I think we tend to think of God as a being that should intervene in mankind's affairs but why would he if he gave us freedom of choice? That would be contradicting wouldn't it?

I do not hate moderate atheists but the militant types that like to undermine traditional western values I have nothing more than disdain and hatred for.

I am not very strong with the arguments over creation and evolution. I accept Evolution as a semi fact but it does not explain everything about existence or its meaning.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Who created God?

Who knows? That would be interesting to find out. I will as him when I see him as this question has always fascinated me. I believe there is more to God than we know. He may not be a being at all.

Infact he could be a force of power, an energy in which creates life. Who knows I have yet to meet him but when I do I will ask :cool:. I do not view God as a man or even a being of flesh and organic material. It is possible that he is infact an Alien.

He certainly impacted us throughout history for good or for worse.

I don't know how atheists can sleep at night or function without any sense of spiritualism. Its rather sad.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:31 PM
What do you think about the double split experiment that shows that objects only exists with real properties when observed?

Very true. Atheist thinking is. Well if I cannot see it, it isn't there. They believe atoms exist yet you cannot see an atom.

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 10:36 PM

No. Emotions, feelings, desires, etc emanate from the brain. Brain functions. Without a brain, you don't have a "soul".

I try to relate death with the state of not yet being born. Non-existent. It is kind of a shame that our accumulated intellect, experiences, feelings and so forth will one day become as nothing. But it's everyone's fate. We're all going to die, 100%. To me, life after death is the continuation of one's genetics. Therefore, our children will become what we are now. For this reason I want to have children. Not that it would matter to me when I am dead, but it would be a comforting thought on my deathbed that I have offspring who are like me. Who knows ... one day someone may find a "cure" for ageing. But even if humans somehow manage to survive, earth will one day not be habitable aymore, or another mass-extinction of life on eart will occur. It is inevitable in the long run. (Humans could of course look to colonize other planets or moons in the future once earth has had its days).

Most probably. I don't believe in this "keep all your bases covered" approach. It is cowardly.

No, not at all. But I don't hesitate to tell people what I believe. It's amazing the hate I have received from family members because of this, yet it does not upset me. Incidentally, my one sister today told me in all caps: "YOU ARE NOT MY BROTHER ANYMORE. I DISOWN YOU".

I also was a devoted Christian that lost faith. I guess I may have gone through an "agnostic stage", but it was more to the tune that any "god" that existed must have been apathetic.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:37 PM
I also was a devoted Christian that lost faith. I guess I may have gone through an "agnostic stage", but it was more to the tune that any "god" that existed must have been apathetic.

If you were God wouldn't you be apathetic? Life wouldnt be interesting if it was not filled with chaos. I believe God has a twisted sense of humor to have created us in the first place.

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:46 PM
He certainly impacted us throughout history for good or for worse.

Correction: religion (man-made) impacted us throughout history for good or for worse. Man created God.

I don't know how atheists can sleep at night or function without any sense of spiritualism. Its rather sad.

I have a very peaceful sleep at night and don't need any sleeping tablets :)

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 10:47 PM
If you were God wouldn't you be apathetic? Life wouldnt be interesting if it was not filled with chaos. I believe God has a twisted sense of humor to have created us in the first place.

God is supposed to be loving and taking a personal interest in people's lives... if you read the Bible.

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:48 PM

Kudos, it must be much harder in America than in England. In South Africa it is extremely difficult for atheists. They are viewed by most as outcasts. Yes, it is that bad.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Correction: religion (man-made) impacted us throughout history for good or for worse. Man created God.

I have a very peaceful sleep at night and don't need any sleeping tablets :)

Then who created mankind? the universe? The Atheist big bang theory doesn't impress me.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:50 PM
God is supposed to be loving and taking a personal interest in people's lives... if you read the Bible.

God the father or the son? You seem confused oneeye. God the father is not a liberal like the son :p

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:50 PM

Correct. The New Testament, at least. On the other hand, the God of the Old Testament was a racist, genocidal monster.

If God does exist he is indeed apathetic about the human condition, loves the filthy rich and hate the poor.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Kudos, it must be much harder in America than in England. In South Africa it is extremely difficult for atheists. They are viewed by most as outcasts. Yes, it is that bad.

It isn't hard. Vermont for example has more atheists than Christians. Most of New England is hardcore atheist to the point where saying 'Happy Holidays' is offensive to militant atheists. Here atheists are favored over people who believe in God. I have been literally physically attacked here for claiming God is real. This happened by a commie bastard at my university. He punched me for no other reason and threw something at me.

I hate militant atheists more than radical muslims.

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Who knows?

Why don't you apply this logic to everything then?

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Correct. The New Testament, at least. On the other hand, the God of the Old Testament was a racist, genocidal monster.

If God does exist he is indeed apathetic about the human condition, loves the filthy rich and hate the poor.

LOL Material wealth does not accompany your soul to heaven. God favors those who live with righteousness.

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:55 PM
What fascinates me is Norse mythology is very similar to Christianity.

Not really. Christianity focuses on forgiving and "turning the other cheek", whereas Norse mythology is more brutal. Or maybe I'm confusing it with modern-day "heathens" - who are some of the most unpleasant and selfish people I have ever come across. There are exceptions, of course.

Loki
01-01-2015, 10:56 PM
LOL Material wealth does not accompany your soul to heaven. God favors those who live with righteousness.

IMO heaven (or hell) does not exist.

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 10:56 PM
God the father or the son? You seem confused oneeye. God the father is not a liberal like the son :p

They are the trinity, three in one... only one god in Christianity....

The Old Testament god is indeed brutal, but very involved in people's lives.

Vasconcelos
01-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Why are you proud of being an atheist?

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Why don't you apply this logic to everything then?

Why? Why be so anti spiritual?

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:05 PM
They are the trinity, three in one... only one god in Christianity....

Ah you were a Catholic. I reject the trinity.

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Not really. Christianity focuses on forgiving and "turning the other cheek", whereas Norse mythology is more brutal. Or maybe I'm confuding it with modern-day "heathens" - who are some of the most unpleasant and selfish people I have ever come across. There are exceptions, of course.

Heathenry seems very appealing, if not for the feeling of being "forced". I like the honor code they list, but doing your rituals in a public park doesn't interest me. Maybe if it was far out in the wilderness or even better: on a farm I owned to placate the land spirits.

Illancha
01-01-2015, 11:06 PM
I thought you worshiped Putin?!

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Not really. Christianity focuses on forgiving and "turning the other cheek", whereas Norse mythology is more brutal. Or maybe I'm confuding it with modern-day "heathens" - who are some of the most unpleasant and selfish people I have ever come across. There are exceptions, of course.

Not really. It depends on which Christians you are speaking to. I prefer God the father because he punished his kin when they did wrong and rewarded them when they won his respect. For good or worse.

I do not think either religion are greatly different. I mean Norse paganism is a bit more tribal in some regards. American Christianity is somewhat tribal as well. Mind you I exclude Catholicism entirely as an American religion.

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Ah you were a Catholic. I reject the trinity.

No, Protestant...

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:08 PM
IMO heaven (nor hell) does not exist.

Just because you cannot see it doesn't mean it isn't there. I have never seen Germany but I know it is there. :p

HERK
01-01-2015, 11:10 PM

I think the main reason some people are hardcore Atheists and Anti-Spiritual (including Loki) is because they want to distinguish themselves from the majority of the religion followers, because being religious today means you are backward and somehow stupid person (according to them).

Loki

Only a few selected/chosen ones. Favouritism runs high in the OT. We also learn in the OT that God is jealous for people's attention. He must be very lonely up there in the sky.

LightHouse89
No, Protestant...

hmmmm... which sect? I have been reading on Mormonism and the various protestant sects in the west. Some do believe in the trinity and some reject it. I have always found the concept of the trinity as rather complex and can be misinterpreted. I am aware they are the same God but almost in different phases. Its hard to put into words when I explain it. I am a former catholic too mind you. I was baptized a Catholic but I have grievances with the Catholic church.

Loki
01-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Why are you proud of being an atheist?

Well, I reckon I used the word "proud" as opposed to "ashamed". I'm not ashamed to be an atheist.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I think the main reason some people are hardcore Atheists and Anti-Spiritual (including Loki) is because they want to distinguish themselves from the majority of the religion followers, because being religious today means you are backward and somehow stupid person (according to them).

Indeed. My sisters are the same way. The funny thing about it is these types of people can live very undisciplined lives which causes disaster for some of them. I look at religion as a compass. I see it as useful as many do not these days.

Loki
01-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I thought you worshiped Putin?!

:laugh:

I admire him, not worship him.

Smaland
01-01-2015, 11:13 PM

12) For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13) But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

I Corinthians 5:12-13, KJV

Christians can observe a person's professed theological stance, his character and behavior, and make an objective evaluation as to his eternal reward, be it good or bad. A person may be without, meaning a non-Christian who is outside the Church. A true Christian is someone who is within the Church.

It is Heaven's prerogative to actually pass judgment on those who are without, and to enforce the sentence upon the offender.

Dani Cutie
If Yisus is real and we go to hell? :O

Oneeye
hmmmm... which sect? I have been reading on Mormonism and the various protestant sects in the west. Some do believe in the trinity and some reject it. I have always found the concept of the trinity as rather complex and can be misinterpreted. I am aware they are the same God but almost in different phases. Its hard to put into words when I explain it. I am a former catholic too mind you. I was baptized a Catholic but I have grievances with the Catholic church.

Seventh Day Adventist. Currently I go to the local Lutheran church every Easter, as my children are being raised as such.

Loki
01-01-2015, 11:15 PM

Because there is no credible, verifiable evidence of a spirit world.

Loki
01-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Heathenry seems very appealing, if not for the feeling of being "forced". I like the honor code they list, but doing your rituals in a public park doesn't interest me. Maybe if it was far out in the wilderness or even better: on a farm I owned to placate the land spirits.

It does seem appealing, from an ancestral point of view. In the early years of Apricity we had a large heathen community on here. Their conduct basically put me off it for good. Talk about loonies ...

Just because you cannot see it doesn't mean it isn't there. I have never seen Germany but I know it is there. :p

Germany can be seen from the sky. I have landed on Frankfurt airport once.

No, no, no. Certainly not in my case. That is not my motivation and never was. I like humble people.

If Yisus is real and we go to hell? :O

Don't worry, we'll throw a big party there. Cool people like Kurt Cobain might be there.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:24 PM
:laugh:

I admire him, not worship him.

I think you have a shrine in your house with him. He is a man of religious conviction. Rather odd you admire him. What do you think of some of the religious laws he has there? I think they are wonderful!

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:24 PM
It does seem appealing, from an ancestral point of view. In the early years of Apricity we had a large heathen community on here. Their conduct basically put me off it for good. Talk about loonies ...

Germany can be seen from the sky. I have landed on Frankfurt airport once.

No, no, no. Certainly not in my case. That is not my motivation and never was. I like humble people.

Don't worry, we'll throw a big party there. Cool people like Kurt Cobain might be there.

I have never seen an atom before though so I doubt they exist :rolleyes:

HERK
01-01-2015, 11:26 PM

If you say this than i have the feeling that you think this life is a "walk in the park", if you think deeper you will see that this life is a "Testing" (at least for me) and one of the quests being the submission to God by free choice, and have you ever thought that you are just an atom in this this universe and your lifetime is just a "blink of the eye" compared to the age of the Universe so why should God come to you personally with an evidence? :D

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:28 PM

But the spiritual realm would not be spiritual if we could see it. I do not believe we are meant or born into this world with an understanding of it because it is not of this earth. God is not of this Earth.

I think atheists watch too much lord of the rings or movies where there is magic and say that magic is spiritual even though it doesn't exist because you cannot see it. LOL

I understand the logic they try to create. That something isn't real because it cannot be seen or understood by themselves or others. However this still does not refute that God exists. :cool: [I am not trying to convert you or anything Loki].

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Christians can observe a person's professed theological stance, his character and behavior, and make an objective evaluation as to his eternal reward, be it good or bad. A person may be without, meaning a non-Christian who is outside the Church. A true Christian is someone who is within the Church.

It is Heaven's prerogative to actually pass judgment on those who are without, and to enforce the sentence upon the offender.

Yes I agree. It isn't for me to decide who goes to Heaven or Hell. However I can assess the moral character of people.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:31 PM
Seventh Day Adventist. Currently I go to the local Lutheran church every Easter, as my children are being raised as such.

Lutherans? They are too liberal here. I am trying to date a Baptist girl right now. Or pursuing her that is. She is religious too. A seventh day Adventist? that's odd we have some this way. Most are black though.

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Lutherans? They are too liberal here. I am trying to date a Baptist girl right now. Or pursuing her that is. She is religious too. A seventh day Adventist? that's odd we have some this way. Most are black though.

Most are white out here.

Oneeye
01-01-2015, 11:37 PM

Also, both sides of my family used to be Lutheran a couple generations ago, and they are very conservative. In fact, I can't think of any liberal Lutherans that attend. Though the women don't wear pantyhose with their dresses at church, and that was a bit of a shock for me.

LightHouse89
01-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Also, both sides of my family used to be Lutheran a couple generations ago, and they are very conservative. In fact, I can't think of any liberal Lutherans that attend. Though the women don't wear pantyhose with their dresses at church, and that was a bit of a shock for me.

Here Baptists, Adventists and Presbyterians are very conservative religiously. Some catholics are but most catholics are agnostic types from my experiences with them. Orthodox Christians are very conservative here. The women are suppose to wear veils to step into an orthodox church here.

Loki
01-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Most are white out here.

In my town in England, the Seventh Day Adventist church is called "the black church" :lol:

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 12:07 AM
In my town in England, the Seventh Day Adventist church is called "the black church" :lol:

Atlantic Union College here is an Adventist college and 90% of the followers there are all black LOL.

Longbowman
01-02-2015, 12:24 AM
What advice do you have for a young man who's trying to get into atheism?

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 12:35 AM

No longbowman. I will not allow it :p

Longbowman
01-02-2015, 12:36 AM
No longbowman. I will not allow it :p

How will you stop me?

Loki
01-02-2015, 12:38 AM

Question everything. Think rational. Don't be swayed by feelings, emotions or nostalgia.

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 12:39 AM
How will you stop me?

I cannot. Do not give into Sinful temptation! :p

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Question everything. Think rational. Don't be swayed by feelings, emotions or nostalgia.

But athiest liberals tend to be driven by emotions so that is an oxymoron :p

Loki
01-02-2015, 12:44 AM
But athiest liberals tend to be driven by emotions so that is an oxymoron :p

Are they? And why do you lump atheists and liberals together? I for certainly am not. That doesn't mean I'm devoid of emotions. I'm a happy man who likes to enjoy life to the full. :)

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 12:47 AM
Are they? And why do you lump atheists and liberals together? I for certainly am not. That doesn't mean I'm devoid of emotions. I'm a happy man who likes to enjoy life to the full. :)

A lot of the militant atheists here tend to be very liberal or socialists. They are intolerant of Christianity mostly because it is seen to them as being oppressive :rolleyes:.

Jägerstaffel
01-02-2015, 12:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_S6DKqcU9M

What is a god? What is it to think of something sacred and larger than us, and infinite and boundless? Human history seems to be suffused with this inclination towards a sense of the divine. We want to believe that there is something more. We've wanted to connect with this higher power, with this belief that there's something greater than ourselves, something that exceeds our capacities to understand. And we see gods everywhere, in myths and metaphors. Old gods, new gods, vengeful gods; they rise and fall with the ebb and flow of all civilisation.
For ages, humankind, we have wanted to celebrate what brings us life, what is this thing that allowed us to emerge?

The Sun.

The star.

That right there is the source of all of our myths and allegories and hopes and dreams. It gave life to the world, gave birth to life. Its core burns at ten million degrees and it consumes millions of tons of matter per second. We ourselves are made of remnants of its fallen siblings.

The preconditions for our humanness - that certainly is what god is, right?

Let there be light.

It is larger than a million Earths, can blind you from millions of miles away, has reigned for billions of years and will thrive for billions more.

I think that's kind of fascinating.

Loki
01-02-2015, 01:12 AM
A lot of the militant atheists here tend to be very liberal or socialists. They are intolerant of Christianity mostly because it is seen to them as being oppressive :rolleyes:.

Atheism is not an organisation, nor a homogenous grouping. I don't know what American atheists get up to. That's their business. :)

Loki
01-02-2015, 01:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo

Gooding
01-02-2015, 02:53 AM
I hold my Confessional Lutheran faith very dear and close to my heart, but I do respect the honest atheism expressed by Loki and some others here. I hope your paths bring you peace.

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 03:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_S6DKqcU9M

What is a god? What is it to think of something sacred and larger than us, and infinite and boundless? Human history seems to be suffused with this inclination towards a sense of the divine. We want to believe that there is something more. We've wanted to connect with this higher power, with this belief that there's something greater than ourselves, something that exceeds our capacities to understand. And we see gods everywhere, in myths and metaphors. Old gods, new gods, vengeful gods; they rise and fall with the ebb and flow of all civilisation.
For ages, humankind, we have wanted to celebrate what brings us life, what is this thing that allowed us to emerge?

The Sun.

The star.

That right there is the source of all of our myths and allegories and hopes and dreams. It gave life to the world, gave birth to life. Its core burns at ten million degrees and it consumes millions of tons of matter per second. We ourselves are made of remnants of its fallen siblings.

The preconditions for our humanness - that certainly is what god is, right?

Let there be light.

It is larger than a million Earths, can blind you from millions of miles away, has reigned for billions of years and will thrive for billions more.

I think that's kind of fascinating.

He is everything. The beginning and the end.

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Atheism is not an organisation, nor a homogenous grouping. I don't know what American atheists get up to. That's their business. :)

I do not mind people choosing to be atheist but what I dislike is taking God out of America. That to me is the problem here and I refuse to sit by and say its okay. No radical militant atheist libertarian can convince me that I am wrong in my religious conviction. I know you are not one of them though Loki. You tolerate my opinions :cool:

Some in the north east here are radical atheists. They are worst than radical muslims in Europe here.

Aodhan
01-02-2015, 03:32 AM
you believe in aliens?

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 03:38 AM
you believe in aliens?

Its possible they exist. Its possible God himself is one of them. Who knows right now? I do not believe God is of this earth though.

Aodhan
01-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Its possible they exist. Its possible God himself is one of them. Who knows right now? I do not believe God is of this earth though.

Yes man :)
God is the Earth and everything that's in it is he.
And creator of all things is not from this world.

Loki
01-02-2015, 03:45 AM
you believe in aliens?

There must be other lifeforms in our galaxy and beyond.

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 03:46 AM
Yes man :)
God is the Earth and everything that's in it is he.
And creator of all things is not from this world.

Possibly. However I do not view God as a simple deity. It is considered incorrect to consider him a deity as he is the supreme. However I do not believe even the bible can give us much of a description of who he is.

Its very difficult and hard to understand maybe. I am not very good at explaining how I feel at it so maybe I should refrain from saying anything. I just feel compelled to do so :p. I respect other opinions so long as they are not offensive.

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 03:46 AM
There must be other lifeforms in our galaxy and beyond.

Maybe God created them too :thumbs up

Loki
01-02-2015, 03:53 AM
Maybe God created them too :thumbs up

Or maybe they created God :)

Aodhan
01-02-2015, 03:58 AM
Possibly. However I do not view God as a simple deity. It is considered incorrect to consider him a deity as he is the supreme. However I do not believe even the bible can give us much of a description of who he is.

Its very difficult and hard to understand maybe. I am not very good at explaining how I feel at it so maybe I should refrain from saying anything. I just feel compelled to do so :p. I respect other opinions so long as they are not offensive.

The bible give you all the answers and if you associate them well, you can discover that God is among us and he is everywhere, and we're killing he!
"Truth is accessible to few, because not everyone can understand it."

Insuperable
01-02-2015, 04:24 AM
Yes.No. The concept "evil" is something ill-defined for me (even though I use the term at times to describe people who lack conscience).

For me at least, the concept of 'evil' can be best understood from the tale of Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve were walking naked, eating naked...Once they disobayed their eyes 'opened', realizing they were naked and rushed to cover themselves. Before that they saw that they were naked, but didn't realize it in a way of what we think when we see someone naked. In a similar manner it includes all the rest of human shortcummings, jelousy, selfishness and much more. Man can't know what it means to live without it, to be pure good. That is why man every unit of the time is a creature of sin. Man can think that he is perfect, that he never felt being jelous or selfish or whatever during his life, but that would be far from the truth. The source of evil is another matter I don't want to get into nor is there any purpose when in order to get there a man, especially an atheist must 'swallow' first a lot of other things.

No. I also cannot prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist (someone else said it also before in this thread)

The weakest of all arguments. Similar to your other post where you ask who created God. People can define God in many ways. The most general definition of God is that God is an uncausable being. Obviously a human mind isn't even able to try to comprehend that. First of all, asking who created God one almost admits there is God or a series of Creators (if you think carefully), but you wouldn't want that. Secondly, using that question you automatically define to us that your definition of God is the same as the one stated above - that God is an uncausable being. But you being unable to comprehend what that definition brings is a reason you use it as an argument against the existence of God in the first place. Going in circles, basically. Furthermore, asking who created God brings in question the notion of infinite regression and that is something which can't exist no matter in which way you think about, if you give it a deeper thought, of course - conclusion of many philosphers and mathematicians. God by definition is an eternal intelligence which always existed and which created everything and with it including the very notion of Flying Spaghetti Monster or better said, you, a consequnce of creation bringing this argument. Check one theory of Multiverse. There is an uncausable infinite quantum vaccum which simply always existed out of which through quantum fluctuations through Big Bangs constantly emerge Universes like ours.

If it comes down to uncausable quantum vaccuum vs uncausable God or intelligence what makes you think that one of those is two choices is more acceptable to say what created what? Would you still think that because of having the notion of uncausable medium which always existed the argument who created the uncausable God is a good argument?

You will probably say 'Yes, because after all one is based on science and the other is based on belief', but one can't help not to see how such idea is used with hardcore bias even in science and are not very positive for science overall. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?81530-Multiple-universes-scientifically-confirmed)

To repeat question:
If science says that there could be something uncausable and when many even say that it is possible we will never obtain an experimental evidence of other Universes if they even exist in the first place why do you think the question 'who created God' is a good argument?

If God does exist he is indeed apatheticabout the human condition, loves the filthy rich and hate the poor.

That is far from the truth at least from a Christian point of view since it contradicts the New Testament and the sacrifice on the cross which is anything, but apathetic to put it shortly. Looking at parts of the Bible one can't help it not to think that, but looking at it 'globally' taking in all the variable (since you basically don't know much about anything deeper regardig Christianity, just general things) that is far from what is.

I guess both of you, throughout your life thought of something being so solid, but then you learn something which shattered that belief in pieces. That is because you don't operate with every information and can't get a complete picture. Similar thing is with that.

Melodia
01-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Do you see the value in keeping God's Ten Commandments?

Loki
01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

No, I see value in following my own conscience. That's even better than the Ten Commandments imo.

Pennywise
01-02-2015, 11:45 AM
i see too much infidel.

Melodia
01-02-2015, 01:12 PM
No, I see value in following my own conscience. That's even better than the Ten Commandments imo.

Do you find any fault with God's Ten Commandments?

Loki
01-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Do you find any fault with God's Ten Commandments?

Hmm ... let me see:

You shall have no other gods before Me. - Disagree. I don't even believe he exists.
You shall not make idols. - Disagree. You can do what you want. Why not?
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain. - Disagree. I can shout Jesus Christ whenever I want. And I do, it sounds great for some reason :D (okay I know Jesus is God's alleged son, bla bla bla)
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. - Disagree. It's nice to have a day off per week to rest from working, but not for religious reasons.
Honor your father and your mother. - That's a good one, agree.
You shall not murder. - Agree
You shall not commit adultery. - Agree
You shall not steal. - Agree
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Agree
You shall not covet. - Hmmm ... not sure about that one, I'm neutral.

de Burgh II
01-02-2015, 02:28 PM
How do you feel about atheism being treated as a "badge of merit" that seems to be more of a "fad" in recent years?

When Atheism espouses to think more scientifically; do you feel empty to think entirely from logic without any sense of spiritualism or are you entirely content with it?

How do you view Atheism from your own view point?

How do you feel about pagan religions as with Eastern religions compared to Western Abrahamic religions?

How do you feel on how the universe operates in general from your own perspective?

Would you say religion in its own right from the doctrines it has are morally sound without any human intervention to skew it?

Do you feel wars are an integral part of human nature or do you feel there is a way around them?

Do you look at yourself as being idealistic or realistic?

Thanks. :)

TheForeigner
01-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Aren't you afraid of dieing and not having a soul to live on in the afterlife? I wish there was a hell for very many subhuman scum personally.

InperatoreBT
01-02-2015, 02:50 PM
do you kill fags for a dinner?

Loki
01-02-2015, 03:42 PM
How do you feel about atheism being treated as a "badge of merit" that seems to be more of a "fad" in recent years?

I don't know, and to be honest it doesn't matter to me. It won't change my way of thinking or rationale either way. I'd still be an atheist whether it was a fad or not.

When Atheism espouses to think more scientifically; do you feel empty to think entirely from logic without any sense of spiritualism or are you entirely content with it?

No, I don't feel empty. I enjoy life with all the ups, downs and emotions that come along with it. I myself am a happy chirpy fella naturally. It's my character.

How do you view Atheism from your own view point?

I just don't believe in God, it is that simple. I believe religion is man-made.

How do you feel about pagan religions as with Eastern religions compared to Western Abrahamic religions?

There are few pagan religions left. It is usually connected to an ethnic culture. Today's neopaganism is an attempt to revive that, but it would never be the same as the original tribal religions.

I have respect for some Eastern religions, those who are not necessarily worshipping a deity, but concentrate on improving oneself, or live by a moral code. Confucianism, for example, is very sound to me and one can learn a lot from it. As for the Abrahamic religions, I will single out Christianity as a religion which could have merit. Having read the Bible, it contains a lot of wisdom if you can pick out some parts. For example, I see Jesus as a socialist who cared for the poor. I respect that a lot and I think many Christians do not follow Jesus' example as they are supposed to do. I would have been quite a fan of Jesus if I had been a contemporary.

How do you feel on how the universe operates in general from your own perspective?

I don't know, everything happens very slowly. I'm not an astronomer so my knowledge of it is limited.

Would you say religion in its own right from the doctrines it has are morally sound without any human intervention to skew it?

Depends which religion you're talking about. And as for human intervention - religion was created by humans, so there's a lot of human intervention already in there.

Do you feel wars are an integral part of human nature or do you feel there is a way around them?

War is barbaric. I hope one day we can get beyond that. It's not impossible, but would necessitate virtually the whole world to mature and behave more intelligently.

Do you look at yourself as being idealistic or realistic?

Realistic.

Aren't you afraid of dieing and not having a soul to live on in the afterlife? I wish there was a hell for very many subhuman scum personally.

No. We all have to die. There is no point in being afraid of it, because it won't help. No-one can escape death.

do you kill fags for a dinner?

No.

Graham
01-02-2015, 03:59 PM
We die, we decompose and decay. A part of the Earths recycling. We become a half-life rather than alive, but a part of life, so to say. :P

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 04:05 PM
We die, we decompose and decay. A part of the Earths recycling. We become a half-life rather than alive, but a part of life, so to say. :P

Ah the circle of life.

Gooding
01-02-2015, 04:08 PM
All endings are simply preludes to fresh beginnings. That is but a part of my faith.

KawaiiKawaii
01-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Don't you think there is something missing?

Loki
01-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Don't you think there is something missing?

I don't understand your question :confused: Something missing in my life? Yes, money :laugh:

KawaiiKawaii
01-02-2015, 04:32 PM
I don't understand your question :confused: Something missing in my life? Yes, money :laugh:

No, something that you can't see, hear or touch but something you believe is here, somewhere, everywhere actually.

TheForeigner
01-02-2015, 04:32 PM

I can't believe someone would be happy to believe that.

Loki
01-02-2015, 04:52 PM
No, something that you can't see, hear or touch but something you believe is here, somewhere, everywhere actually.

I have in the past a lot, when I was a believer. But now not.

Loki
01-02-2015, 04:54 PM
I can't believe someone would be happy to believe that.

You don't have to believe it, it's what really happens :) The cycle of life on earth.

LightHouse89
01-02-2015, 04:55 PM
You don't have to believe it, it's what really happens :) The cycle of life on earth.

But it is so sad and uninspiring.

TheForeigner
01-02-2015, 04:56 PM

If there are no souls and we are nothing but matter, than it is rather pointless.

Sacrificed Ram
01-02-2015, 05:00 PM

Is incorrect do a negative prove. Or Does in your country they put everybody into jails and obligates each one proves his/her innocence?

No prove, no crime.

Loki
01-02-2015, 05:16 PM
But it is so sad and uninspiring.

Yeah, it would have been more exciting if there was a heaven I guess. ;)

Actually no. Life on planet earth is awesome. I grew up in a huge wildlife area in South Africa. Getting close to nature is incredibly inspiring. That is why I love plants and animals, and thunderstorms, heavy rain, etc. It fills me with immense excitement :)

Loki
01-02-2015, 05:18 PM
If there are no souls and we are nothing but matter, than it is rather pointless.

I guess so, but life is enjoyable. Or it could be horrible for some unlucky people. For many, life is hell on earth.

Sacrificed Ram
01-02-2015, 05:31 PM
I prove GOD exists!

GOD is omnipresent, GOD is in everything and everyplace and everything and everyplace is part of GOD.
If everything and everyplace exist, GOD exists!

What? Isn't GOD omnipresent? Does GOD forsaken someone? What? Himself? On a cross?
Oh my GO... GO.. GOOGLE!

de Burgh II
01-03-2015, 12:34 AM
I don't know, and to be honest it doesn't matter to me. It won't change my way of thinking or rationale either way. I'd still be an atheist whether it was a fad or not.

No, I don't feel empty. I enjoy life with all the ups, downs and emotions that come along with it. I myself am a happy chirpy fella naturally. It's my character.

I just don't believe in God, it is that simple. I believe religion is man-made.

There are few pagan religions left. It is usually connected to an ethnic culture. Today's neopaganism is an attempt to revive that, but it would never be the same as the original tribal religions.

I have respect for some Eastern religions, those who are not necessarily worshipping a deity, but concentrate on improving oneself, or live by a moral code. Confucianism, for example, is very sound to me and one can learn a lot from it. As for the Abrahamic religions, I will single out Christianity as a religion which could have merit. Having read the Bible, it contains a lot of wisdom if you can pick out some parts. For example, I see Jesus as a socialist who cared for the poor. I respect that a lot and I think many Christians do not follow Jesus' example as they are supposed to do. I would have been quite a fan of Jesus if I had been a contemporary.

I don't know, everything happens very slowly. I'm not an astronomer so my knowledge of it is limited.

Depends which religion you're talking about. And as for human intervention - religion was created by humans, so there's a lot of human intervention already in there.

War is barbaric. I hope one day we can get beyond that. It's not impossible, but would necessitate virtually the whole world to mature and behave more intelligently.

Realistic.

I guess in the end we all are apart of nature's cycle until this planet's demise. So in essence, we are tied to it like any other organism; something we should embrace. We get so preoccupied with accomplishing our own ideals to how we perceive it, we undermine the simple pleasures in life that can produce lasting happiness rather than a false temporary feeling that is not genuine in nature. I guess death should simply be view as a part of life; something we shouldn't stigmatize. Death in its own way is something we should respect for what it is because we so much time trying to evade something that is inevitable which shouldn't be viewed with a negative connotation. Morals in their own way have their own benefits because you are truly living life for how it is with purpose rather than a life of vanity. Life in its own way is entirely a subjective experience; something were innately conditioned to be because everything would be devoid of meaning in one's life if it wasn't. In the end, we should be grateful for what we accomplished and tell ourselves that we lived life the best way we could to however our own methods pertains to be. If I had to choose; I rather die a grateful man rather than full of regret when its my time to go when the time comes.

LightHouse89
01-03-2015, 03:45 AM
Yeah, it would have been more exciting if there was a heaven I guess. ;)

Actually no. Life on planet earth is awesome. I grew up in a huge wildlife area in South Africa. Getting close to nature is incredibly inspiring. That is why I love plants and animals, and thunderstorms, heavy rain, etc. It fills me with immense excitement :)

Same here but God was behind it all :cool: Earth is the lord's Eden :thumbs up

Sacrificed Ram
01-03-2015, 12:07 PM
God is an unfalsifiable hypothesis.

Is incorrect do a negative prove. Or Does in your country they put everybody into jails and obligates each one proves his/her innocence?

No prove, no crime.

In USA they will put everybody in electric chair until they prove their innocence.

Jesus didn't die as innocent because he didn't prove he was not a criminous. According such argument everybody is criminous until proves their innocence.

Is incorret do a negative prove.

Sally the first
06-23-2015, 01:43 PM
what do you think is gonna happen after death?

Longbowman
06-23-2015, 02:01 PM
what do you think is gonna happen after death?

Nothing.

Mars06
06-23-2015, 02:13 PM
As an atheist, how do you resist the constant urge to rape, kill, and eat young babies? :confused3:

drgnclbr
06-23-2015, 02:19 PM
"Proud atheist"? Perhaps "proud anti-theist" would be more appropriate. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how you'd be proud about being an atheist.

Loki
06-23-2015, 10:47 PM
As an atheist, how do you resist the constant urge to rape, kill, and eat young babies? :confused3:

Admittedly, that remains some of my biggest challenges in life.

Loki
06-23-2015, 10:48 PM
"Proud atheist"? Perhaps "proud anti-theist" would be more appropriate. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how you'd be proud about being an atheist.

Because in some societies/cultures, it is considered a shameful thing to be an atheist.

Seth MacFarlane
07-02-2015, 11:57 PM

How do you feel about the term " thank god " . Sometimes I use it ironically and only as just a gesture but I never mean it . What about the people who do mean it .What do you think about good fortune and its creation . Some people says its God work. Bill gates is an athiest like us and he's doing pretty fine to me

Mn The Loki TA Son
07-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Nothing.

After death, say I kill a rat, leave him dead, than the worms gonna eat him.

Gooding
07-03-2015, 06:11 PM
The body either gets recycled into the Earth or the ashes get scattered somewhere.. or they're put into an urn and either stuck in the ground or put on someone's mantle. Consciousness? Who knows? Religions have 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000.00000000000000000002 explanations as to what happens to your essence, your " soul," if you like, after you've died. Generally, they agree that if you've lived a good life and achieve some kind of harmony with the people around you and whatever it is the religions have as a focus of worship, your existence becomes an eternally positive experience, if not, an eternally negative one. Others say that we're constantly learning, so we're tossed back here as a result of our actions in previous lives, unless we achieve enlightenment, then we merge into the All and cease to exist individually. Perhaps your essence is passed on to future generations of your young. Maybe you're a conscious manifestation of nature. Who knows? Here's a related question: where were you before you were born?

Jägerstaffel
07-03-2015, 06:13 PM

Oh, we're supposed to resist that urge?

Fuck. I'm doing it wrong again, guys.

Gooding
07-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Wow, you mean disavowing belief in the supernatural means more sex? That's definitely an incentive! :thumb001:

Deneb
07-03-2015, 07:53 PM

God only exists in your imagination. But ok, you need to believe in that farce, because death terrifies you.

King Niko
07-27-2015, 05:18 PM

Why do atheist preach supremacy over someone who has morales?

because as a atheist, yo ucan not have no morales.

and why would you want to be atheist?

because being a atheist means a more selfish and unruling look at life,

like in a scenario if I was in a war torn area with ongoing fire,

I would want to help someone as I would know for it I would be gifted, but as a atheist you have no point of doing it since you get no reward.

Just some questions.

Also another thing is, If you study actual religion like Islam you would know,

There is no god but Allah ( the creator ), and Muhammad (PBUH),

and Allah is not in time, space or matter...

Soooo why not just be a Muslim? lol

Longbowman
07-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Why do atheist preach supremacy over someone who has morales?

because as a atheist, yo ucan not have no morales.

and why would you want to be atheist?

because being a atheist means a more selfish and unruling look at life,

like in a scenario if I was in a war torn area with ongoing fire,

I would want to help someone as I would know for it I would be gifted, but as a atheist you have no point of doing it since you get no reward.

Just some questions.

Also another thing is, If you study actual religion like Islam you would know,

There is no god but Allah ( the creator ), and Muhammad (PBUH),

and Allah is not in time, space or matter...

Soooo why not just be a Muslim? lol

How are you less selfless if you only help people for the sake of reward?

King Niko
07-27-2015, 05:39 PM
How are you less selfless if you only help people for the sake of reward?

Because you do not know the reward, but for me knowing for good deeds I will be resurrected,

For atheist everything you do is by decisions for your own benefit.

With religion you do it for all, you have the function to help which can give you a positive outcome, whilst it may seem like a selfish act,

As following a religion I would still have benefit from doing the act of risking my life and potentially dying,

why would a atheist go into a on going war to save someone when they know they would die, what benefit do they obtain?

Longbowman
07-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Because you do not know the reward, but for me knowing for good deeds I will be resurrected,

For atheist everything you do is by decisions for your own benefit.

With religion you do it for all, you have the function to help which can give you a positive outcome, whilst it may seem like a selfish act,

As following a religion I would still have benefit from doing the act of risking my life and potentially dying,

why would a atheist go into a on going war to save someone when they know they would die, what benefit do they obtain?

So basically you're selfish. You think you're being paid (in eternal rewards) to do good deeds so you do good deeds. An atheist will do good deeds for the same reason.

Religious people are just as selfish, you see - we're all human.

King Niko
07-27-2015, 06:01 PM
So basically you're selfish. You think you're being paid (in eternal rewards) to do good deeds so you do good deeds. An atheist will do good deeds for the same reason.

Religious people are just as selfish, you see - we're all human.

No, because the act itself is selfless, the entire timeline is what gives you the reward, and if you follow a religion, that is what you are taught.

I would give my life to save another.

But I would never do it for expectation of a reward, I would do it out of the kindness of my soul.

Longbowman
07-27-2015, 06:07 PM
No, because the act itself is selfless, the entire timeline is what gives you the reward, and if you follow a religion, that is what you are taught.

I would give my life to save another.

But I would never do it for expectation of a reward, I would do it out of the kindness of my soul.

This is silly. You just said you'd do it for reward. Fine, then Atheists can also do it for altruistic reasons.

Deneb
07-27-2015, 06:08 PM
God only exists in your imagination. But ok, you need to believe in that farce, because death terrifies you.

Lol, I didn't know Loki was an atheist.

LightHouse89
07-27-2015, 06:11 PM
I am officially a 'non believer'. Why? My political/cultural and ethical beliefs do not match my religious views. I can never be a christian with the views I have. :cool:

King Niko
07-27-2015, 06:16 PM
This is silly. You just said you'd do it for reward. Fine, then Atheists can also do it for altruistic reasons.

One deed is not a reward, Your life of being prosperous and giving and being selfless gives you the reward.

A criminal can help or do good, but they have already committed very acts of big sins.

Shah-Jehan
07-27-2015, 06:27 PM
I am officially a 'non believer'. Why? My political/cultural and ethical beliefs do not match my religious views. I can never be a christian with the views I have. :cool:

Dude what happened to "Protestantism is the one-true religion and all others are idol-worshippers" or "Christian Identity > All"? Man you change religion/ideologies faster than Mayweather running xD (no offence).

Longbowman
07-27-2015, 06:37 PM
One deed is not a reward, Your life of being prosperous and giving and being selfless gives you the reward.

A criminal can help or do good, but they have already committed very acts of big sins.

As you already said, you do the good deed for eternal reward.

Gooding
07-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Why not? Anybody can be anything they want, as long as their consciences aren't violated.

King Niko
07-27-2015, 06:41 PM
As you already said, you do the good deed for eternal reward.

You do not do a specific deed for a reward, You do all deeds to escape damnation.

Think what you want, about it, but I never do deeds for rewards, I do it because I feel like I have too, because I am a messenger for what I am taught by my religion, I do what my religion shows.

Longbowman
07-27-2015, 06:55 PM
You do not do a specific deed for a reward, You do all deeds to escape damnation.

Think what you want, about it, but I never do deeds for rewards, I do it because I feel like I have too, because I am a messenger for what I am taught by my religion, I do what my religion shows.

Backtracking to cover your steps, but any atheist could do them for similar reasons (doing what society states, being an ambassador for your race or nationality, etc).

King Niko
07-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Backtracking to cover your steps, but any atheist could do them for similar reasons (doing what society states, being an ambassador for your race or nationality, etc).

No I am not back-stepping, I just do not know english good enough to explain what I needed to say, and over time it came to me.

But why would a atheist want to live a life of good when there is no reason too?

Why wouldn't they just live their life?

Loki
07-27-2015, 07:28 PM
But why would a atheist want to live a life of good when there is no reason too?

Doesn't it make you feel good to do something good to/for someone? Do you just do good because you fear damnation? That is not the right reason.

I'm an atheist and I like doing "good" things if I can. I don't expect to be rewarded for it. The deed itself brings an inner reward and self respect.

King Niko
07-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Doesn't it make you feel good to do something good to/for someone? Do you just do good because you fear damnation? That is not the right reason.

I'm an atheist and I like doing "good" things if I can. I don't expect to be rewarded for it. The deed itself brings an inner reward and self respect.

I do it for the good of my people and to show love from god.

Jägerstaffel
07-27-2015, 07:44 PM

I find the stance that one might only do moral things because of either a divine threat or divine encouragement to be the least moral stance.

King Niko
07-27-2015, 07:48 PM
I find the stance that one might only do moral things because of either a divine threat or divine encouragement to be the least moral stance.

Doing it to spread the message of love is a least moral stance?

Crazy talk...

Let me ask you, When was the last time you gave a homeless man $100?

Jägerstaffel
07-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Doing it to spread the message of love is a least moral stance?

That's not what I said. Doing it out of either 1) fear of eternal damnation or distance from god or 2) a desire for eternal paradise is the least moral position in my opinion. It is selfish.

Also, consider that if we are to take the literal and fundamentalist approach to many of the major world religions the concept that they are messages of love is laughable.

I think Loki brought up a much more praiseworthy stance. Many people do good things because it intrinsically feels good to do good things. It feels good to see someone else benefit. That is not selfish.

King Niko
07-27-2015, 07:59 PM
That's not what I said. Doing it out of either 1) fear of eternal damnation or distance from god or 2) a desire for eternal paradise is the least moral position in my opinion.

Also, consider that if we are to take the literal and fundamentalist approach to many of the major world religions the concept that they are messages of love is laughable.

I think Loki brought up a much more praiseworthy stance. Many people do good things because it intrinsically feels good to do good things.

I would rather believe in something then stands for love, then be something that has no purpose.

Like I asked when was the last time you gave money, No response?

I am only 17 but give money everyday to friends and strangers, Why do I do it? Not for fear or want, because I want to do a good deed and spread the message of the lord and his love.

If you are a atheist I presume you are,

If you can tell me how the universe was made, I will set myself as a atheist.

and it has to be law, no theories or hypothesis.

Jägerstaffel
07-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Like I asked when was the last time you gave money, No response?

Personal anecdotes aren't effective arguments on a large scale like this. Maybe I don't have the money to give to someone else. Maybe I give large portions of my income away. It doesn't matter. What does matter is the motivation behind good deeds.

Let me put it this way. If you are in a relationship with someone, do you do nice things for them just because you want to be rewarded (with sex etc) or do you do nice things for them because you love them and want to see them happy? One of these is a more praiseworthy stance in my opinion.

As for proving atheism - I have no desire to do so. I am not a priest or a prophet and what you personally believe doesn't matter to me.

Remember also that the burden of proof rests with the person making the claim. This is religious debate basics.

Gooding
07-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Personal anecdotes aren't effective arguments on a large scale like this. Maybe I don't have the money to give to someone else. Maybe I give large portions of my income away. It doesn't matter. What does matter is the motivation behind good deeds.

Let me put it this way. If you are in a relationship with someone, do you do nice things for them just because you want to be rewarded (with sex etc) or do you do nice things for them because you love them and want to see them happy? One of these is a more praiseworthy stance in my opinion.

As for proving atheism - I have no desire to do so. I am not a priest or a prophet and what you personally believe doesn't matter to me.

Remember also that the burden of proof rests with the person making the claim. This is religious debate basics.

Indeed. Why not do good things just because you feel like doing good things? Whether God exists or not, why not do something good because you know that you'll be making a positive contribution to somebody else's life? It kind of reminds me of what the character James Kirk said at the end of a movie when McCoy said that he was just wondering if there were a God out there.." Maybe he's not 'out there', Bones.. maybe he's here.. in the human heart." If God's enthroned in your heart, wouldn't doing good simply be an inclination without promise of reward or threat of punishment?

King Niko
07-27-2015, 08:38 PM

I used to be homeless when I was younger, and even when I did not have money, but I have all intention to help others in need.

Well I mean I am only 17, so it is kind of hard for me to answer this since I have only had a couple relationships... When was in a relationship I would just do things never thought about it.

So you do not want to prove why you believe in something? Because I take it as the only reason you would follow a atheist path is because you do not believe in any type of god, or creator, and that you think everything is merely natural.

Even I follow religion and I think I can define how the universe was made in a semi-scientific amateur way. That is because I study space all the time since I love the vastness of it, but before going off topic, I do not ever debate religion, because it all depends on a persons personality in modern world then actual knowledge.

Jägerstaffel
07-27-2015, 09:08 PM
So you do not want to prove why you believe in something? Because I take it as the only reason you would follow a atheist path is because you do not believe in any type of god, or creator, and that you think everything is merely natural.

Even I follow religion and I think I can define how the universe was made in a semi-scientific amateur way. That is because I study space all the time since I love the vastness of it, but before going off topic, I do not ever debate religion, because it all depends on a persons personality in modern world then actual knowledge.

My point is that even if I say I give half of my income, my blood and a testicle to someone else it does not make my position more valid than someone who is not in the position to do that. If we're talking about morality, I still believe it is less deserving of praise if someone lives a moral life only for a reward or for a punishment.

If you insist, I'll give you an insight into my worldview but I don't debate religion much anymore because it is time intensive and I find it unproductive. People are so wrapped up in the identity of their religious worldview that they fail to debate the subject logically. Many believe an attack on their beliefs is an attack on them directly.

I have an interest in astrophysics, in a general sense. I am aware of the current accepted model for the origin of the universe (the Big Bang theory) in which the universe expanded from a state of immense density in a dramatic explosion which caused matter to form galaxies over time through gravity. I am also aware of the models proposed about the ultimate demise of the empirically demonstrated accelerated universe (the heat death of the universe or the Big Freeze). I am by no means an astrophysicist (though I play one on TV!).

None of this directly contradicts the potential existence of a deity behind the scenes manipulating the laws of nature to some inevitable end. It also certainly doesn't prove it either. That's why I didn't feel the need in answering that directly, because it is besides the point.

As I said previously, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. At this point, I see no strong evidence pointing to the existence of god/gods based on the information we have available. I also don't claim that it is absolutely clear that there is no god. I believe that it is incredibly unlikely that there is god, in the sense of what we as a species have generally defined as a god (a mysterious man in the clouds who loves us, is all powerful and yet allows great suffering to exist). I believe it is foolish to not draw some sort of conclusion with the abundance of information we have about the nature of reality.

I certainly don't think that the writings of ancient peoples speculating without the benefit of the technology and wealth of information available to us are valid evidence for gods/angels/afterlives. At all. Period.

Now, if you're one of those types that defines the laws of nature as a god - by all means feel free. In previous comments I've made in this thread, I think I've made it clear that as we learn more and more about the chaotic and unloving universe we are forced to redefine god in more esoteric terms. Eventually we will have to abandon the concept all together because once something becomes too nebulous it falls apart.

King Niko
07-27-2015, 09:29 PM
My point is that even if I say I give half of my income, my blood and a testicle to someone else it does not make my position more valid than someone who is not in the position to do that. If we're talking about morality, I still believe it is less deserving of praise if someone lives a moral life only for a reward or for a punishment.

If you insist, I'll give you an insight into my worldview but I don't debate religion much anymore because it is time intensive and I find it unproductive. People are so wrapped up in the identity of their religious worldview that they fail to debate the subject logically. Many believe an attack on their beliefs is an attack on them directly.

I have an interest in astrophysics, in a general sense. I am aware of the current accepted model for the origin of the universe (the Big Bang theory) in which the universe expanded from a state of immense density in a dramatic explosion which caused matter to form galaxies over time through gravity. I am also aware of the models proposed about the ultimate demise of the empirically demonstrated accelerated universe (the heat death of the universe or the Big Freeze). I am by no means an astrophysicist (though I play one on TV!).

None of this directly contradicts the potential existence of a deity behind the scenes manipulating the laws of nature to some inevitable end. It also certainly doesn't prove it either. That's why I didn't feel the need in answering that directly, because it is besides the point.

As I said previously, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. At this point, I see no strong evidence pointing to the existence of god/gods based on the information we have available. I also don't claim that it is absolutely clear that there is no god. I believe that it is incredibly unlikely that there is god, in the sense of what we as a species have generally defined as a god (a mysterious man in the clouds who loves us, is all powerful and yet allows great suffering to exist). I believe it is foolish to not draw some sort of conclusion with the abundance of information we have about the nature of reality.

I certainly don't think that the writings of ancient peoples speculating without the benefit of the technology and wealth of information available to us are valid evidence for gods/angels/afterlives. At all. Period.

Now, if you're one of those types that defines the laws of nature as a god - by all means feel free. In previous comments I've made in this thread, I think I've made it clear that as we learn more and more about the chaotic and unloving universe we are forced to redefine god in more esoteric terms. Eventually we will have to abandon the concept all together because once something becomes too nebulous it falls apart.

You assume I believe in everything too?

I believe in a heaven and a hell, I believe in a creator in a sense not a god, I believe that there is no image that can be put on god and that god could be anything, god is unique and nothing can be god.

I believe Jesus (PBUH) died for our sins on the planet.

Notice how as we as a world move away from religion and tradition, the world slowly becomes more violent...

Download the deep web and go watch people pay someone to be murdered, I can probably guarantee you they are not very religious,

All my main point is, religion is something that keeps people sane and gives rules to society.

without religion you have no rules, and the only reason you have rules yourself is because your family has a tradition in religion and previous members who have followed it.

As I can not really debate about religion as I do not know by all means of everything, if you wish to see all my answers about anything, this video is basically everything how I feel about religion vs atheist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAqoKrtLcY

Longbowman
07-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Your beliefs are absurd but they are yours. If you need us to be 'morally inferior' for you to feel good about yourself, that's fine. You can think what you want.

Jägerstaffel
07-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Notice how as we as a world move away from religion and tradition, the world slowly becomes more violent...

All my main point is, religion is something that keeps people sane and gives rules to society.

without religion you have no rules, and the only reason you have rules yourself is because your family has a tradition in religion and previous members who have followed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAqoKrtLcY

I understood your point and I already explained why I believe it to be the least admirable position on morality. If you have so little trust in the ability of humans to do good deeds without the divine yoke, then I pity you. It must be difficult to live that way. Man is capable of horrific crimes and it seems clear to me that religion is a terrible deterrent. In fact, in many cases it is a motivating factor of horrific deeds.

Feel free to believe what you want but it doesn't make you a better person than someone who doesn't.

Gooding
07-28-2015, 01:42 AM
I understood your point and I already explained why I believe it to be the least admirable position on morality. If you have so little trust in the ability of humans to do good deeds without the divine yoke, then I pity you. It must be difficult to live that way. Man is capable of horrific crimes and it seems clear to me that religion is a terrible deterrent. In fact, in many cases it is a motivating factor of horrific deeds.

Feel free to believe what you want but it doesn't make you a better person than someone who doesn't.

That is a fundamental truth we'd all benefit from realizing. We also do well to realize that all western religions have blood on their hands to some extent, with the exception of Judaism. Copious amounts of Jewish blood are, however, on the hands of both Christianity and Islam. It's a proof to us of the reality of sin, which was first revealed to Judaism and then passed down to her daughter faiths.

Desaix DeBurgh
07-28-2015, 01:55 AM
Indeed. [B]Why not do good things just because you feel like doing good things? Whether God exists or not, why not do something good because you know that you'll be making a positive contribution to somebody else's life?[B] It kind of reminds me of what the character James Kirk said at the end of a movie when McCoy said that he was just wondering if there were a God out there.." Maybe he's not 'out there', Bones.. maybe he's here.. in the human heart." If God's enthroned in your heart, wouldn't doing good simply be an inclination without promise of reward or threat of punishment?

The idea that humans need religion or God to to do good things is mentally retarded. Humans evolved within small communities where you saw the people of your tribe on a daily or weekly or very least like a monthly basis so 'screwing them over' made no sense. Why would you screw someone over in your community ? When you needed help from them they wouldn't freaking help you and you would likely lower your social status in that community as well for that behavior. Rather, in that environment you would tend to do good things for your community residents, especially if they explicitly needed help, because it was evolutionarily advantageous for you to do so for reasons akin to the logic of the tit for tat strategy in game theory.The concept of game theory in its various forms has found use in the real world in attempting to explain a form of reciprocated altruism in animal communities. Alot of modern humans live in big cities so this altruism is no longer evolutionarily advantageous but humans aren't going to change over night and evolve that fast that kind of adaptation generally takes time. Humans are still adapted for a world we no longer live in via various different ways not just that one. The majority of humans are so god damned stupid, illogical and unscientific they don't understand this so they think you have to be religious or believe in God to be 'moral'. I am so sick of the the sheeple masses and their retarded ideas and thoughts.