PDA

View Full Version : Fat People

Desaix DeBurgh
01-06-2015, 04:40 AM
Obese People Have 'Severe Brain Degeneration'

A new study finds obese people have 8 percent less brain tissue than normal-weight individuals. Their brains look 16 years older than the brains of lean individuals, researchers said today.

http://www.livescience.com/10582-obese-people-severe-brain-degeneration.html

Also, books on the latest in neuroscience show that a healthy diet and exercise increases brain size, grows new brain cells, and helps your brain in otherways with the end result is that you get smarter. Cardiovascular exercise is the most potent form of exercise in this regard. Such books such as Boost Your Brain: The New Art and Science of Brain Performance by Majid Fotuhi and Christina Breda Antoniades discuss this. In the book it also discusses how bad being obese is for your brain e.g it shrinks it and makes it perform worse etc... The vast majority of fat people obviously don't eat healthy and exercise enough otherwise they wouldn't be fat. There are some rare fat people that have genetic disorders that make them fat though.

Here are some other scientific studies on the matter but this is not all of the studies that have been done (competitive runners have very low body fat and real bonafide joggers are not fat etc..) :

suzanne.wu@usc.edu
213-740-0252
University of Southern California

Fit teenage boys are smarter
But muscle strength isn't the secret, study shows

In the first study to demonstrate a clear positive association between adolescent fitness and adult cognitive performance, Nancy Pedersen of the University of Southern California and colleagues in Sweden find that better cardiovascular health among teenage boys correlates to higher scores on a range of intelligence tests – and more education and income later in life.

http://phys.org/news179415275.html

Aerobic Exercise Training Increases Brain Volume in Aging Humans

Stanley J. Colcombe, Kirk I. Erickson, Paige E. Scalf, Jenny S. Kim, Ruchika Prakash, Edward McAuley, Steriani Elavsky, David X. Marquez, Liang Hu and Arthur F. Kramer

+
Author Affiliations
1Beckman Institute & Department of Psychology and 2Department of Kinesiology, University of Illinois, Urbana.
Address correspondence to Arthur F. Kramer, PhD, Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave., Urbana, IL 61801. E-mail: akramer@s.psych.uiuc.edu
Received July 8, 2006.
Accepted September 21, 2006.
Abstract

Background :The present study examined whether aerobic fitness training of older humans can increase brain volume in regions associated with age-related decline in both brain structure and cognition.

Results : Significant increases in brain volume, in both gray and white matter regions, were found as a function of fitness training for the older adults who participated in the aerobic fitness training but not for the older adults who participated in the stretching and toning (nonaerobic) control group. As predicted, no significant changes in either gray or white matter volume were detected for our younger participants.

Conclusions. : These results suggest that cardiovascular fitness is associated with the sparing of brain tissue in aging humans. Furthermore, these results suggest a strong biological basis for the role of aerobic fitness in maintaining and enhancing central nervous system health and cognitive functioning in older adults.

http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/61/11/1166.abstract

Basal ganglia volume is associated with aerobic fitness in preadolescent children.

Chaddock L, Erickson KI, Prakash RS, VanPatter M, Voss MW, Pontifex MB, Raine LB, Hillman CH, Kramer AF.

Department of Psychology, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.
Abstract

The findings suggest that increased childhood aerobic fitness is associated with greater dorsal striatal volumes and that this is related to enhanced cognitive control. Because children are becoming increasingly overweight, unhealthy and unfit, understanding the neurocognitive benefits of an active lifestyle during childhood has important public health and educational implications.

http://www.academia.edu/637694/Basal_ganglia_volume_is_associated_with_aerobic_fi tness_in_preadolescent_children

Brain Res. 2010 Oct 28;1358:172-83. Epub 2010 Aug 22.

A neuroimaging investigation of the association between aerobic fitness, hippocampal volume, and memory performance in preadolescent children.

Chaddock L, Erickson KI, Prakash RS, Kim JS, Voss MW, Vanpatter M, Pontifex MB, Raine LB, Konkel A, Hillman CH, Cohen NJ, Kramer AF.

Department of Psychology & Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.
Abstract

Recent evidence extends this relationship to elderly humans by suggesting that high aerobic fitness levels in older adults are associated with increased hippocampal volume and superior memory performance. The present study aimed to further extend the link between fitness, hippocampal volume, and memory to a sample of preadolescent children. To this end, magnetic resonance imaging was employed to investigate whether higher- and lower-fit 9- and 10-year-old children showed differences in hippocampal volume and if the differences were related to performance on an item and relational memory task. Relational but not item memory is primarily supported by the hippocampus. Consistent with predictions, higher-fit children showed greater bilateral hippocampal volumes and superior relational memory task performance compared to lower-fit children. Hippocampal volume was also positively associated with performance on the relational but not the item memory task. Furthermore, bilateral hippocampal volume was found to mediate the relationship between fitness level (VO(2) max) and relational memory. No relationship between aerobic fitness, nucleus accumbens volume, and memory was reported, which strengthens the hypothesized specific effect of fitness on the hippocampus. The findings are the first to indicate that aerobic fitness may relate to the structure and function of the preadolescent human brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20735996

Duke
01-06-2015, 04:43 AM
if you imagine stereotypical fatzo, image that pops up doesn't appear intellectual :D

There could be truth to that

Desaix DeBurgh
01-06-2015, 04:59 AM
Get to jogging forum fatties !

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1341344652734_4211219.png

How Running Changed Me: Stephanie Beall

Running helped Stephanie lose almost 100 pounds.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sites/default/files/stephaniebeforeafter500x310_0.jpg

NAME: Stephanie Beall

HOMETOWN: Seattle, Washington

FAMILY: Boyfriend, Paul.

What prompted you to start working out?

In January of 2013, I was sick and tired of being overweight and having no energy. Just walking up and down stairs or walking for periods of time would exhaust me and I noticed pain from these simple activates in my joints. So as many people do, I used the New Year as a jump start to my journey. I had lost 40 pounds a couple years previous, but 20 pounds had come back in just a year. I knew it had to end. Another major reason, I lost my cousin to cancer in 2013. He fought for a number of years and lost his battle. He always fought and lived his life to the fullest, it was time for me take his example and start living mine.

How did you start?

I joined a gym. Started swimming three to four times a week since I swam on the swim team in high school and always enjoyed it. It was also low impact on my already stressed joints. After losing about 40 pounds, I started running and I was hooked!

Describe your regular workout routine.

I am currently training for my first half marathon, so I run three to four days a week with two days of cross training. After training, I will drop my running days to three a week, with one long run. Cross training is swimming, combat or kickboxing class, weights, or a Jillian Michaels DVD.

What was the biggest hurdle to working out and how did you get over it?

Working out never really bothered me. However, when I started running it was totally foreign to me, so it was more about getting all the information I needed to become a runner.

What's the most rewarding part of your running life?

The mental and physical strength it gives me. It makes me feel stronger than I ever have in my life. The physical part is amazing, but mentally knowing that I CAN do a long run is the best!

Did you have a weight-loss goal?

Yes. I am actually still on my weight loss journey. I started at 286 and I’m currently 196 pounds. I am striving for a total of 110 lost, ending at a weight of 176. However, I’ve lost 19 inches off my waist and 17 off my hips, all thanks to running!!

What’s the secret to your weight-loss success?

Calories in verses calories out. It’s simple math. You learn what your body needs and feed the machine!

What kinds of changes did you make to what and how you ate?

Totally cut out candy, soda, and sugar. Slowly phased out almost all processed foods. Try to eat as clean as possible, and keep everything simple. Also, I have learned how to cook amazing food in a healthy way. Also eat every 3-4 hours, so my body is constantly fueled instead of eating three large meals.

What advice would you give to a beginner or someone just starting out?

It may seem like a long, long way to go, but start out small and slowly build. You will be amazed at what your body can do. And don’t listen to your brain; feel the run and your body will tell you everything you need to know.

What are your favorite motivational quotes?

“Your legs aren’t giving out, your head is giving up.”

What's your idea of a Rave Run?

Beautiful scenery, 55 degrees, light winds, and partly sunny. That would be the best long run EVER.

What’s your favorite piece of gear?

My headphones! They keep me going and constantly are giving me inspiring and energetic music to listen to!

What is your long-term goal?

Run my first half marathon and hit my weight loss goal. Also, I want to do my first triathlon in the Fall of 2015.

We want to hear how running changed you. Send your story and submit your photos to us at thestartingline@runnersworld.com. We’ll pick one each week to highlight on runnersworld.com.

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/how-running-changed-me-stephanie-beall
http://i.imgur.com/z1qzK.jpg

Mortimer
01-06-2015, 05:13 AM
fat people are stupid is sensationalist, thats not what the article says. healthy diet has positive affects on brain. which makes sense to me thats different then "fat people are stupid"

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
01-06-2015, 05:14 AM
Thats not necessarily true, If you are fat, in active and don't learn anything or stimulate your mind in anyway yea you will likely become dumber. As long as you stimulate your mind then it will be better functioning but yea exercise is known to help stimulate I believe repair neurons. Particularly cardio.

I actually wrote about that too before for school, how exercise helps children health with the hippocampus before. That stuff is true. Hippocampus is important in that it helps deal with mechanical comprehension, visualizing skills, and I believe short term memory. I don't know if I am remembering it correctly though it was a while ago.
Also i believe it reduced dementia

Mortimer
01-06-2015, 05:16 AM
i think which makes more stupid then fat are alcohol and drugs, thats making more stupid then being fat, but yes the same individual could extend his capacities by working out and eating healthy, which makes absolute sense, that all fat people are stupid is not what the article says.

Desaix DeBurgh
01-06-2015, 05:36 AM
fat people are stupid is sensationalist, thats not what the article says. healthy diet has positive affects on brain. which makes sense to me thats different then "fat people are stupid"

Thats not necessarily true, If you are fat, in active and don't learn anything or stimulate your mind in anyway yea you will likely become dumber. As long as you stimulate your mind then it will be better functioning but yea exercise is known to help stimulate I believe repair neurons. Particularly cardio.

I actually wrote about that too before for school, how exercise helps children health with the hippocampus before. That stuff is true. Hippocampus is important in that it helps deal with mechanical comprehension, visualizing skills, and I believe short term memory. I don't know if I am remembering it correctly though it was a while ago.
Also i believe it reduced dementia

You guys are both illiterate but I am not going to explain why each of you are illiterate because I don't waste my time with illiterate people. Anyway, besides the scientific studies it is pretty easy to prove that fat people are stupid, philosophically, because if you don't have your health then you don't have anything. Health is 9/10ths of happiness : a healthy beggar is happier than an ailing king. Fat people are more prone to die of diseases like cardiovascular disease and certain kinds of cancer ,therefore, fat people are stupid because being fat, for the vast majority of fat people, is not something one cannot do anything about.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
01-06-2015, 05:39 AM
You guys are both illiterate but I am not going to explain why each of you are illiterate because I don't waste my time with illiterate people. Anyway, besides the scientific studies it is pretty easy to prove fat people are stupid, philosophically, because if you don't have your health then you don't have anything. Health is 9/10ths of happiness : an healthy beggar is happier than an ailing king. Fat people are more prone to die of diseases like cardiovascular disease and certain kinds of cancer therefore fat people are stupid because diet and exercise makes you lean.

No man, Remember there has always been a stereotype. Dumb jocks, fat rich buisiness men.... Don't be completely ignorant. Yes excercise helps but it also depends on many other things. Unless you can show me data comparing the national averages (IQ) ( and educational backgrounds ( If technical or not) fat people vs fit people according to bmi and fat body percentage. You can't really prove that.

Mortimer
01-06-2015, 05:54 AM
You guys are both illiterate but I am not going to explain why each of you are illiterate because I don't waste my time with illiterate people. Anyway, besides the scientific studies it is pretty easy to prove that fat people are stupid, philosophically, because if you don't have your health then you don't have anything. Health is 9/10ths of happiness : a healthy beggar is happier than an ailing king. Fat people are more prone to die of diseases like cardiovascular disease and certain kinds of cancer ,therefore, fat people are stupid because being fat, for the vast majority of fat people, is not something one cannot do anything about.

depends on how you define stupid. they are stupid because they dont care for themselfes, if thats what you mean with stupid.

Desaix DeBurgh
01-06-2015, 06:08 AM
No man, Remember there has always been a stereotype. Dumb jocks, fat rich buisiness men.... Don't be completely ignorant. Yes excercise helps but it also depends on many other things. Unless you can show me data comparing the national averages (IQ) ( and educational backgrounds ( If technical or not) fat people vs fit people according to bmi and fat body percentage. You can't really prove that.

Whatever, I am smart enough to make that intuitive logical leap without needing it explicitly spelled out for me. Since, you are dumber than me I just found some more explicit direct stuff for you :

The greater your weight, the lower your IQ, say scientists

By Nina Goswami

12:01AM BST 15 Oct 2006

It is bad for your blood pressure, knocks years off your life and is a strain on your heart. Now scientists have discovered that gaining weight lowers your intelligence.

The findings follow last week's government figures that show Britain as the "fat man" of Europe, with nearly a quarter of adults and more than 14 per cent of children under 16 classified as obese.

The new five-year study of more than 2,200 adults claims to have found a link between obesity and the decline in a person's cognitive function. The research, conducted by French scientists, which is published in this month's Neurology journal, involved men and women aged between 32 and 62 taking four mental ability tests that were then repeated five years later.

The researchers found that people with a Body Mass Index – a measure of body fat – of 20 or less could recall 56 per cent of words in a vocabulary test, while those who were obese, with a BMI of 30 or higher, could remember only 44 per cent.

The fatter subjects also showed a higher rate of cognitive decline when they were retested five years later: their recall dropped to 37.5 per cent, whereas those with a healthy weight retained their level of recall.

According to British guidelines, a person with a BMI of between 18.5 and 25 is considered to be at an ideal weight, while 25 is overweight and 30 or more is regarded as clinically obese.

Dr Maxime Cournot, who headed the study, suggested that hormones secreted from fats could have a damaging effect on cerebral cells, resulting in decreased brain function. "Another explanation could be that since obesity is a widely known cardiovascular risk factor, due to the thickening and hardening of the blood vessels, that the same happens with the arteries in the brain," said Dr Cournot, an assistant professor in clinical epidemiology at Toulouse University Hospital.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1531487/The-greater-your-weight-the-lower-your-IQ-say-scientists.html

Intelligence

Studies demonstrate a correlation between brain size and intelligence, with larger brains predicting higher intelligence. It is however not clear if the correlation is causal.[20] The majority of MRI studies report moderate correlations around 0.3 to 0.4 between brain volume and intelligence.[21][22] The most consistent associations are observed within the frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes, the hippocampi, and the cerebellum, but only account for a relatively small amount of variance in IQ, which suggests that while brain size may be related to human intelligence, other factors also play a role.[22][23] In addition, brain volumes do not correlate strongly with other and more specific cognitive measures.[2] In men, IQ correlates more with gray matter volume in the frontal lobe and parietal lobe, which is roughly involved in sensory integration and attention, whereas in women it correlates with gray matter volume in the frontal lobe and Broca's area, which is involved in language.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_size

Obese People Have 'Severe Brain Degeneration'

A new study finds obese people have 8 percent less brain tissue than normal-weight individuals. Their brains look 16 years older than the brains of lean individuals, researchers said today.

http://www.livescience.com/10582-obese-people-severe-brain-degeneration.html

King Claus
01-06-2015, 06:21 AM
i use medicine not drugs, but you use drugs i saw you on webcam you were pale like a ghost with crazy eyes and you were either drunk or on crack
medicines are essentially drugs, and the ones that you're taking in particular are pretty hardcore... ;)

Mortimer
01-06-2015, 06:39 AM
medicines are essentially drugs, and the ones that you're taking in particular are pretty hardcore... ;)

medicines are not drugs. they have minimum amount of drugs in them only. or some do. also they are not opiates. the ones i take are not. dont excuse yourself for your drug abuse.

King Claus
01-06-2015, 06:44 AM
medicines are not drugs. they have minimum amount of drugs in them only. or some do. also they are not opiates. the ones i take are not. dont excuse yourself for your drug abuse.
I don't abuse drugs:laugh:" 1990s saw the development of several new drugs for schizophrenia, called "atypical antipsychotics." Because they have fewer side effects than the older drugs"

"oes anyone remember Thorazine? It was an antipsychotic (http://www.cchrint.org/psychiatric-drugs/antipsychoticsideeffects/) given to mentally ill people, often in institutions, that was so sedating, it gave rise to the term “Thorazine shuffle.” Ads for Thorazine in medical journals, before drugs were advertised directly to patients, showed Aunt Hattie in a hospital gown, zoned out but causing no trouble to herself or anyone else. No wonder Thorazine and related drugs Haldol (http://www.cchrint.org/psychiatric-drugs/antipsychoticsideeffects/haldolsideeffects/), Mellaril and Stelazine were called chemical straitjackets."

Any type of anti psychotic will make you high as a kite. Don't fucking fool your self.

You clearly have no idea what you're doing to your self. And you're also not aware of the fact that you're a junky. It doesn't matter if one sniffs heroine,cocaine or the anti psychotics you use. There's also a good reason why "medication" is only prescribed to people that can benefit from them;)

de Burgh II
01-06-2015, 06:54 AM
Their people like you and I; so I don't understand the line of logic of them being any less which seems quite generalized and biased in the end.

armenianbodyhair
01-06-2015, 06:59 AM
The title of this thread is stupid.

Mark
01-06-2015, 07:10 AM
This thread is temporally closed and the title might be changed as well.

Desaix DeBurgh
02-24-2015, 07:21 PM
"Is Obesity Associated With a Decline in Intelligence Quotient During the First Half of the Life Course?

Low intelligence causes obesity? What research shows

(CBS) Does being not-so-smart make people not-so-skinny? Experts say a controversial new study adds to a growing body of evidence linking low intelligence to weight problems. It shows that men who score low on IQ tests in adolescence are more likely to be overweight in middle age.

For the study - described at a recent meeting of the American Heart Association - researchers in Sweden compared the waist-hip ratios of more than 5,000 40-year-old men to their scores on IQ tests taken when they were around 18 years of age. The researchers found a strong inverse relationship between the ratios, which scientists use to gauge obesity and heart disease risk.

In other words, the fattest men had the lowest IQ scores.

What might explain the link between low intelligence and middle-aged spread? One possibility is that less-intelligent people make poorer food choices, Dr. Robert H. Eckel, professor of medicine at the University of Colorado School Medicine, told CBS News. Another, he said, is that they are more averse to exercising than people who are more intelligent.

But Dr. Eckel, a past-president of the association, stressed that those are simply possible explanations, saying "The study raises more questions than it answers."

But the study's author, Uppsala University's Dr. Jerzy Leppert, was less guarded in his assessment of what might explain the link between low IQ and obesity. In an email to CBS News, he said men with limited "intelligence resources" might find it hard "to absorb all the messages that reach them. Their parents usually have the same problem with low IQ, which further limits their ability to adopt more healthy way of life."

Dr. Leppert said it was time for the limited resources available for obesity prevention to be aimed squarely at people of limited intelligence, acknowledging that "our findings are not convenient for policy makers.""

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/low-intelligence-causes-obesity-what-research-shows/

Desaix DeBurgh
02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
This thread is temporally closed and the title might be changed as well.

http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/haters-gonna-hate-fat-chinese-kid.jpg

http://www.mattbrandenburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Asinine-America-HATERS-GONNA-HATE1-300x300.jpg

Alchemysta
02-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Valid point my friend.

Linebacker
02-25-2015, 12:09 PM
It is proven many times over in society that fat people are useless and worthless.As I have said times over - being a skeleton is also impractical,but it is still better than being fat.

The perfect state,as in many other subjects stands in the middle.A well muscled up and toned person who is strong AND athletic at the same time is the perfect human being.

Moral of the story,go to the gym,not to a Zumba or Yoga class,but to lift heavy weights.