PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, men ARE more brainy than women (and more stupid too!)

Liffrea
05-08-2010, 09:24 AM
It's a simple scientific fact, says one of Britain's top dons

Baroness Susan Greenfield is one of Britain's best-known female scientists; she's a professor of neurophysiology at the University of Oxford, a former director of the Royal Institution and an accomplished writer and broadcaster on scientific matters.

So when she very publicly bemoans the lack of women reaching the higher echelons of the scientific establishment, people tend to sit up and take notice.

In a newspaper article last month, she expressed her concern that only ten per cent of science professors in this country are women.

Her comments struck a chord, attracting a host of comments agreeing that women scientists were generally getting a raw deal.

This raises an important and controversial question. Is there really a glass ceiling holding back the careers of talented female scientists? Have decades of anti-sexual discrimination legislation really counted for nothing in the laboratories of Britain?

Or might there be another explanation for why we find such a marked shortage of women, not just in the highest levels of science but in big business, the professions, and politics, too?

It is my contention - based on a lifetime of academic research - that there is an explanation and I advance it all too aware of the howls of feminist outrage I am about to unleash.

So, here goes: one of the main reasons why there are not more female science professors or chief executives or Cabinet ministers is that, on average, men are more intelligent than women.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1274952/Men-ARE-brainy-women-says-scientist-Professor-Richard-Lynn.html#ixzz0nKPcJPjd

Tolleson
05-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey......

Sorry, men ARE more brainy than women (and more stupid too!)

I resemble that remark. Just ask Aemma. :eek:

Toni
05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
No, men are lazy and they stink.

Absinthe
05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
No, men are lazy and they stink.
And that's teh truth. :wink

Jarl
05-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Nothing new or amazing about that. Simple consequence of having two X chromosomes versus one and male haplodeficiency - if it's bad it will be worse in males, if it's good it will better.

The Black Prince
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
IQ tests emphasize certain areas of intelligence more then other areas. Needless to say that the areas that are put forward more are also more important in say the economic sector, science, engineering, etc.. So the conclusion of this person that male have on average 5pts. more on the IQ scale compared to women is right.

But, the statement that men are therefore more intelligent on average is something I can't agree with. The writer looks down upon communication and nurturing (he writes:"women engaged in the relatively simple tasks of gathering berries and raising children.") whereas a few lines further he says:"Their [women] superior foreign language skills". I've never seen an IQ test in which language skills are tested? yet it is part of one his intelligence: the ability to increase knowledge of multiple languages.

The part that women are less extreme in their intelligence whereas men have more variation in their intelligence (higher standard deviation), is undoubtedly true. F.i. concerning physical appearance women also tend to look more like each other whereas there is much more (metrical/shape) differences between males concerning facial, cranial, body proportions. Not only within one population but also across populations, women of different populations tend to be closer together in looks then males compared with males of different populations.

Concerning the message of the writer:"Of course, just because men, on average, are more intelligent then women, doesn't mean there are no individually brilliant women around." I can only agree with some adjustment:"Of course, just because men, on average, are more abstract thinking then women, doesn't mean there are no individually brilliant women around. Likewise, just because women, on average, have more an edge for language, doesn't mean there are no men around excelling in communication skills".