PDA

View Full Version : The Everyday Sexism of Women Waiting in Public Toilet Lines

Furnace
01-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Long lines for women's restrooms are the result of a history that favors men’s bodies

Author: Soraya Chemaly, media critic and activist.

http://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/men-women-bathroom.jpg?w=1100

If you’re a woman, chances are you’ve a) spent time fidgeting in a long line waiting to use a public toilet, b) delayed a bodily function because you don’t want to or haven’t the time to waste standing in line to use a public toilet, c) considered sneaking into a men’s room—illegal in some places, or d) cursed loudly because of all of the above.

Faced with a long restroom line that spiraled up and around a circular stairwell at a recent museum visit, I opted not to wait. Why do we put up with this? This isn’t a minor pet peeve, but a serious question. Despite years of “potty parity” laws, women are still forced to stand in lines at malls, schools, stadiums, concerts, fair grounds, theme parks, and other crowded public spaces. This is frustrating, uncomfortable, and, in some circumstances, humiliating. It’s also a form of discrimination, as it disproportionately affects women.

After counting the women, I tweeted, “Dear @britishmuseum there are FIFTY women and girls standing in line for the loo while the men’s room has zero line #everydaysexism.” Immediately, people responded with the suggestion that women use the men’s room. But even more responses were defensive, along the lines of “How on god’s green earth did you arrive at the conclusion that this was sexist?”

Let me count the ways.

Women need to use bathrooms more often and for longer periods of time because: we sit to urinate (urinals effectively double the space in men’s rooms), we menstruate, we are responsible for reproducing the species (which makes us pee more), we continue to have greater responsibility for children (who have to use bathrooms with us), and we breastfeed (frequently in grotty bathroom stalls). Additionally, women tend to wear more binding and cumbersome clothes, whereas men’s clothing provides significantly speedier access. But in a classic example of the difference between surface “equality” and genuine equity, many public restrooms continue to be facilities that are equal in physical space, while favoring men’s bodies, experiences, and needs.

Legislation to address the design and provision of public restrooms in new construction often requires more space for women’s rooms. But that has hardly made a dent in many of our oldest and most used public spaces. This is especially true in powerful institutions, such as schools and government complexes, where old buildings, and their gendered legacies, dominate. In the United States, for example, women in the House of Representatives didn’t get a bathroom near the Speaker’s Lobby until 2011. Prior to that, the nearest women’s room was so far away that the time it took women to get to the bathroom and back exceeded session break times. The nearby men’s room, meanwhile, had a fireplace, a shoeshine stand, and televised floor proceedings.

The logical next step for feminist activism.. :rotfl: :heh:

Source:
http://time.com/3653871/womens-bathroom-lines-sexist-potty-parity/

Manifest Destiny
01-08-2015, 05:49 PM
You laugh now, but someday men will be required to sit down when using public restrooms so women don't feel oppressed.

Atvend
01-08-2015, 05:52 PM
This gave me cancer...

Dictator
01-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Buy these fucking things

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J8Na6wI8T54/Tfkdo22Ab2I/AAAAAAAAAB8/75dJOeLZSUw/s1600/GoGirl-4.bmp

Manifest Destiny
01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
This gave me cancer...

If it's prostate cancer, it's because of male privilege.

dude
01-08-2015, 07:07 PM
I guess it would not be so bad of they approached the subject as if some changes needed to be done since there is a bigger females presence. As opposed to simply jump and say it is sexism. It is like 2 people apply for a job and one is black and the other is white. If the white one is hired then it is because the black was discriminated.

Jackson
01-08-2015, 07:46 PM
That's just a problem of not enough toilets in a busy area. It's not like the designers (all male) were sitting around discussing how they could make life hard for women. Many places genuinely don't have enough loos, granted it's not as big of a problem for guys, but that hardly means the cause of this is sexism haha.