PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers and TV: Early Exposure Has Negative and Long-Term Impact

Liffrea
05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Want kids who are smarter and thinner? Keep them away from the television set as toddlers. A shocking study from child experts at the Université de Montréal, the Sainte-Justine University Hospital Research Center and the University of Michigan, published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, has found that television exposure at age two forecasts negative consequences for kids, ranging from poor school adjustment to unhealthy habits.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100503161229.htm

Beorn
05-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Oh woe is the day the television was invented. What did bad parents do before it?

jerney
05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
It doesn't take a genius to know plopping your kid in front of a TV all day isn't good for them. It's lazy parenting and if you prefer having a TV raise your child to having human interaction with them then I can't understand why you'd have them in the first place. The very least you could do is read them a book or play with them outside.

poiuytrewq0987
05-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh woe is the day the television was invented. What did bad parents do before it?

Fed them ritalin.

Wölfin
05-09-2010, 03:17 PM
TV can be a wonderful tool and addition to raising children, especially if the shows and movies that are viewed stimulate imagination. However it is not a replacement ever. And as Jerney said, there are plenty other things to do too if you are to raise a child. Play, read, music, etc.

poiuytrewq0987
05-09-2010, 03:19 PM
TV can be a wonderful tool and addition to raising children, especially if the shows and movies that are viewed stimulate imagination. However it is not a replacement ever. And as Jerney said, there are plenty other things to do too if you are to raise a child. Play, read, music, etc.

If I ever had kids I would sell the TV or at least keep it where it is not accessible to kids. I wouldn't let them start watching until they were at least ten years old or older.

Wölfin
05-09-2010, 03:28 PM
If I ever had kids I would sell the TV or at least keep it where it is not accessible to kids. I wouldn't let them start watching until they were at least ten years old or older.

My mother works in the cinema and television industry, and I remember as a kid growing up there were a lot of quality shows. I learned a lot this way... But on the other hand I was also taught piano at age 3, and I was sufficiently *awake* that I taught myself to read before I got in preschool/school. And most of the time I prefered going outside to ride my tricycle... Or go wrestle with the boys in my neighbourhood. I was quite outdoorsy.

Now adays I see mostly shite and appalling things on television. I think if I'd let my kids watch it, it would be montirored strictly. 1h night max, 4 times a week max.