PDA

View Full Version : UK without a government

Wulfhere
05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I must say this is all very interesting - I wonder how long the UK can go on functioning without a government? Yes, I know the prime minister and other ministers are still in place, but they have no authority, no mandate to govern, and are not doing so - in fact, they appear to be doing nothing at all. We currently have no parliament either, since it's not due to assemble until 18 May - when a motion of no confidence will no doubt boot Brown out of office if nothing has been decided by then. Constitutionally, at what point would the Queen feel obliged to step in and arbitrarily appoint someone as prime minister? There is no precedent in modern times.

Germanicus
05-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I must say this is all very interesting - I wonder how long the UK can go on functioning without a government? Yes, I know the prime minister and other ministers are still in place, but they have no authority, no mandate to govern, and are not doing so - in fact, they appear to be doing nothing at all. We currently have no parliament either, since it's not due to assemble until 18 May - when a motion of no confidence will no doubt boot Brown out of office if nothing has been decided by then. Constitutionally, at what point would the Queen feel obliged to step in and arbitrarily appoint someone as prime minister? There is no precedent in modern times.

As Morgan Freeman quoted in a film, ...there will be no panic........YOU WILL PAY YOUR TAXES.

Treffie
05-09-2010, 10:27 PM
It's a funny situation to be in. Bridget Prentice is still the Justice Minister even though she is no longer in government.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01017/Bridget-Prentice_1017606c.jpg

Wulfhere
05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
It's a funny situation to be in. Bridget Prentice is still the Justice Minister even though she is no longer in government.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01017/Bridget-Prentice_1017606c.jpg

One gets the impression that all these ministries are just chugging along through institutional inertia, with no one at the helm.

Murphy
05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Absolute Monarchy FTW!

Germanicus
05-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Absolute Monarchy FTW!

Only someone who is jobless, lazy, and an embarrasment to his parent's working class ethics would post this^

Wulfhere
05-09-2010, 10:47 PM
If the politicians can't sort it out, it is the Queen's constitutional duty to impose a solution. The only two occasions in her reign when a similar decision arose were in the mid 70s. Ted Heath in 1974 lost the election but didn't resign until the Monday, under pressure from the palace it is believed. The following year the Queen sacked the Australian prime minister Gough Whitlam for acting unconstitutionally (but on that occasion was probably not personally involved in the decision).

Beorn
05-09-2010, 11:08 PM
RZ2oXzrnti4

Murphy
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Only someone who is jobless, lazy, and an embarrasment to his parent's working class ethics would post this^

'cause you just know so much about me right mate? Germanicus, I am sorry, but filthy old men who have a thing for me isn't exactly up my alley. Perhaps you could try some where else to get off?

Austin
05-10-2010, 08:18 AM
In Texas if people heard your entire country was without a government they'd say lucky you :)

Skandi
05-10-2010, 08:20 AM
They'll argue muddle through ,Civil servants will keep it running....

And see you at the next election in September, (can't be before they are all on holiday)

Groenewolf
05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Absolute Monarchy FTW!

Actually absolute monarchies have a low survival rate in European cultures. Does not fit well with our governmental traditions.

Murphy
05-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Actually absolute monarchies have a low survival rate in European cultures. Does not fit well with our governmental traditions.

Of course. But I would rather have Lizzy calling the shots for a while than the muppets left in parliament.

poiuytrewq0987
05-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Absolute Monarchy FTW!

You mean theocracy ftw, right?

Murphy
05-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I wish you cunts wouldn't take everything I say fucking literally.

poiuytrewq0987
05-11-2010, 12:45 AM
I wish you cunts wouldn't take everything I say fucking literally.

When one says cunt a lot of times, it makes me wonder if you actually have a cunt.

a device
05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
The election results last Thursday were most disappointing. UKIP and the BNP did not achieve the breakthrough that we half expected.

But what really pisses me off is the fact that Cameron never got his overall majority; he was handed it on a plate and he couldn't achieve it.

Groenewolf
05-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Of course. But I would rather have Lizzy calling the shots for a while than the muppets left in parliament.

That would not necessary mean an absolute monarchy. But that are details.