PDA

View Full Version : The Acadians of Haiti

Grumpy Cat
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Just had to post this as an information, to inform of whites in Haiti:

Once the Seven Years War was over (1763), France turned its attention to building up their surviving colonies. One of its colonies was Saint Domingue, and island in the Caribbean.
The Rochette correspondence that was sent to England made its way to the Acadians in the American colonies, and they subsequently petitioned Louis XV for repatriation to France. Thinking of building his colonial population, the king instructed the governors of Saint Domingue and Martinique to send ships to the American colonies (especially to New York and Boston) to pick up Acadians.
The British government, however, refused to allow the Acadians to leave. But the Acadians still made their way to the French Antilles. They would secretly board merchant ships in Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts and sail to the Caribbean. By September 1764, they were regularly bringing molasses and rum and exchanging them for Acadians and lumber.
The French government actually hired a recruiting agent in New York. The man, named Hanson, circulated a proclamation by the governor of Saint Domingue offering to pay for the trip and to give them land and goods until they could take care of themselves. What the Acadians didn’t know was that they were headed for a work camp. The governor wanted manpower to construct a naval base at Mole Saint Nicolas.
Some Acadians traveled to Saint Domingue from France in 1763-64. But most (hundreds) of them came from the American colonies. There would have been even more, but Hanson was asking the Acadians for large sums of money to book their passage, even though the Saint Domingue government had already reimbursed him for the cost of the trip. Most of the Acadians did not have that kind of money.
From Jan. 23, 1764 to Jan. 26, 1765, 418 Acadians were sent to Mole Saint Nicolas by Hanson. For example, a Dec. 15, 1764 entry from Savannah in the South Carolina Gazette notes that "All the Acadians here are about leaving the place; yesterday upwards of 90 of them went on board a vessel in the river for Cape Francois."
In the March 22, 1764 Pennsylvania Gazette, an entry from Charlestown, SC notes on Feb. 18 that "The remains of the Acadians that were removed to this province in the year 1755, and who all went from hence for Cape Francois in November last, soon after their arrival there, had land allotted them at Cape Nicola in the Windward Passage, and are settling at the Platform, where most English vessels passing to and from Jamaica commonly call for water; but are by no means pleased, either with their reception or situation."

They found that they had to clear a jungle and build a naval base in return for a little land, food, clothing, and tents. But the French didn’t supply a proper ration of food, and many Acadians died of malnutrition and tropical diseases. They protested, but to no avail. Still more Acadians were arriving in 1764-65, stretching the rations even furthers. The colony just couldn’t care for all of its new citizens. By the beginning of 1765, the 938 Acadians who had arrived at Mole Saint Nicolas in 1764 had dwindled down to 677. In 1765, German settlers arrived and the situation got worse.

In the March 7, 1765 issue of the Pennsylvania Gazette, there is a letter from Cape St. Nicholas (Mole St. Nicholas) that noted "out of 700 Acadians that went from these Colonies, 400 are dead. They had been put to many Difficulties; when they landed they had no House to put their Heads in, till they built one themselves; they were kept to work like Negroes, allowed no Land, and had no Money for their Work."
Beginning in August 1765, they began asking governor d’Estaing to leave Mole Saint Nicolas. Some were allowed to leave, while others deserted to other parts of the island. Those who decided to stay were able to start small farms, build a home, and find employment as laboreres, carpenters, and masons. Besides Mole Saint Nicolas, Acadians were settled in other areas of Saint Domingue. In August 1764, 180 Acadians settled at Mirebalais. The local planters objected to giving them land, so the Acadians worked on existing plantations as laborers and managers. They lived in communities such as Montagne Terrible, the Capuchin canton, and Boucan Carre.
Some headed back to France, where they made port at Bordeaux. Some Saint Domingue Acadians made their way to Louisiana, but we don’t know how many. They had urged the Halifax Acadians to come down to the island, where they would join them in travelling to Illinois. But by the time the Halifax Acadians got there, the Acadians on the island couldn’t afford to make the trip. So they probably merged in with the other Saint Domingue people.
When the Haitian revolution occurred in the 1790’s, some of the inhabitants (probably including some Acadians) migrated to the eastern U.S. In 1809, some 10,000 people from Saint Domingue migrated to New Orleans via Cuba. But most of them stayed in New Orleans. Any Acadians in this group probably merged into the mixture of New Orleans’ melting pot.

Some Acadians stayed in Saint Domingue. We know, for example, that Pierre Hebert (b. 1745 in Acadia) was at Jérémie (a province in south Saint Domingue) for 34 years. He and his wife Marie Victoire Rambaud, his mother-in-law, and his 7 children (from 2 to 17) returned to Nantes on Nov. 24, 1805.

http://www.acadian-cajun.com/exsd.htm

Grey
05-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Surprised anyone else picked up on it. I have family there, though many are mixed now. They're descended from Acadians and plantation-owning French Creoles.

Grumpy Cat
05-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I met some Haitian Acadians at the World Acadian Congress... they did not look mixed, although they did speak with the distinct Haitian Kreyol, although not as thick as the black population. I guess it's the same with white Jamaicans, they often speak Jamaican Patois as well, but again, with not as thick of an accent.

Grey
05-10-2010, 09:51 PM
I met some Haitian Acadians at the World Acadian Congress... they did not look mixed, although they did speak with the distinct Haitian Kreyol, although not as thick as the black population. I guess it's the same with white Jamaicans, they often speak Jamaican Patois as well, but again, with not as thick of an accent.

Interesting. Do they have their own communities/neighborhoods or are they just scattered about? I'm pretty sure it's mostly my Creole ancestors who did the mixing; one of the black rebellion leaders was a relative of mine with a creole father.

Grumpy Cat
05-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Interesting. Do they have their own communities/neighborhoods or are they just scattered about? I'm pretty sure it's mostly my Creole ancestors who did the mixing; one of the black rebellion leaders was a relative of mine with a creole father.

I'm not exactly sure. I think most Haitian Acadians live around Jacmel.

The Lawspeaker
05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought that they murdered the lot during the last slave rebellions ?!
Very interesting material, Acadian. :)

Grumpy Cat
05-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I thought that they murdered the lot during the last slave rebellions ?!
Very interesting material, Acadian. :)

I don't know. Maybe because many Acadians were slaves as well was why they were spared.

Wölfin
05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Indeed not all Euro-descended or mixed people were massacred, although many were, some were spared. The elite in Haiti often tends to be of the lighter shades, ironically.

I knew a girl who was a mulatta, she claimed her mother was a black Haitian and her father a white Haitian. I do not know if he was Acadian though. Very interesting, I had heard of them but never actually read much about them. Great post AD!

blan
06-16-2010, 10:24 PM
There are white ((communities)) in the west indies to an extent but for the most part its scattered. though you will see more whites in some places than others.
the south of Haiti has more whites than the north and the majority are in the wealthier areas of Port au Prince.
like petion ville, there are a few other small towns and small cities that have a a few but you generally see whites in the wealthier districts of the cities.
Jamaica is a different story but still much like Haiti its scattered, except kingston the capital city.
Kingston is about 4 percent white but there is a small village called seaford that is around 20 percent white.

blan
06-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Most people who were spared where spared because they were important to the building of Haiti.
Doctors, teachers, engineers, ect. they were generally treated well but lived like slaves on the other hand,
though many did stay by choice and some did return after 1804 in small numbers for reasons such as family and business,
but there was migrations threw out the 1800s and the early 1900s up to the mid 1950s of French people.

I don't know. Maybe because many Acadians were slaves as well was why they were spared.

blan
06-16-2010, 10:33 PM
whites were killed regardless of class if Dessaline and his army got you. though he did spare polish troops and a few brits that fought for him.
Petion was a mullato leader that spared many whites and helped many escape.