PDA

View Full Version : Classify Giorgios Samaras

Alchemysta
01-14-2015, 04:33 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8913613.ece/alternates/w620/185478588.jpg
http://sillyseason.com/sites/default/files/article_images/1486976045_2758948584001_georgios-samaras-8924558.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Giorgios+Samaras+Greece+v+Croatia+5FI2oNs0Fmfl.jpg

Tiberio
01-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Jesus Christ ;)

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 04:40 PM
He looks like some sort of Pontid or Atlanto-Med, with heavy Dinarid influence.

Highlands
01-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Atlanto-Pontid/East Med.

Ventoforte
01-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Pontid and Dinaro-Med, but more Pontid. It seems you're not as good picking the outliers from other countries as you are with Italy. How bizarre.

Tiberio
01-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Pontid and Dinaro-Med, but more Pontid. It seems you're not as good picking the outliers from other countries as you are with Italy. How bizarre.

Strange eh?

Bloodsport
01-14-2015, 08:46 PM
When I had long hair people told me I looked just like him lol. Dino Med/Pontid.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 08:56 PM
If he was Cretan instead of Sicilian we'd be seeing photos of gypsy rallies in Iraklio titled CLASSIFY THIS GROUP.

The phenotypical and genetic overlap between the two islands is very strong.

Bloodsport
01-14-2015, 09:01 PM
The phenotypical and genetic overlap between the two islands is very strong.

You're not being very consistent though. You say that Sicilians have some Levantine mixture which can make them dark, but you also say that Cretans can have very light eyes, and you also say that the absence of Levantine mix is what makes Greek islanders different to Cypriots.

For the record, Samaras is not 'Cretan' other than being born in Crete. His father is born in Melbourne and his grandfather, who someone in Australia I know knew, was from mainland Greece.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:03 PM
You're not being very consistent though. You say that Sicilians have some Levantine mixture which can make them dark, but you also say that Cretans can have very light eyes, and you also say that the absence of Levantine mix is what makes Greek islanders different to Cypriots.

For the record, Samaras is not 'Cretan' other than being born in Crete. His father is born in Melbourne and his grandfather, who someone in Australia I know knew, was from mainland Greece.

Sicilians and Cretans have more Near Eastern admixture than mainland Greeks, but less than Cypriots. Thus they should be between the two. Despite genetics, both Sicily and Crete have a fair amount of light types, and more so than Cyprus has. I didn't say there is an "absence" of Levantine in Greek islanders (and by this I mean southern islanders, since the northern ones are more like the mainland), but there is less than in Cypriots and IMO it shows.

Bloodsport
01-14-2015, 09:04 PM
This is his father, by the way, born in Melbourne, full 100% origins on the mainland:

http://www.trifylli.gr/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/samaras.jpg?18820c

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:05 PM
This is his father, by the way, born in Melbourne, full 100% origins on the mainland:

Heavily Dinarid.

Tiberio
01-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Dinaro-Med

Faklon
01-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Hellenas says:

Aegean med who can also be found in the mainland.

With cherrypicked pictures.

Bloodsport
01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Sicilians and Cretans have more Near Eastern admixture than mainland Greeks, but less than Cypriots. Thus they should be between the two. Despite genetics, both Sicily and Crete have a fair amount of light types, and more so than Cyprus has. I didn't say there is an "absence" of Levantine in Greek islanders (and by this I mean southern islanders, since the northern ones are more like the mainland), but there is less than in Cypriots and IMO it shows.

You're implying that Sicilians and Cretans are more alike than Cretans and Cypriots. I think any Greek member here would have strong opposition to that.

Additionally, I think that most Italians could probably tell the Sicilians and the Cretans apart despite their similarities.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:18 PM
You're implying that Sicilians and Cretans are more alike than Cretans and Cypriots.

Genetically, yes they are. Cypriots also look like Levantines to me, Cretans look European as do Sicilians even though both do have some exotic people in their regions.

Bloodsport
01-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Genetically, yes they are. Cypriots also look like Levantines to me, Cretans look European as do Sicilians even though both do have some exotic people in their regions.

I really can't be bothered with this anymore.

If you want to say that sitting 9,000+ KM away that's fine, I don't think you'll find many people from Greece or Italy who will agree with you though.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:24 PM
I really can't be bothered with this anymore.

If you want to say that sitting 9,000+ KM away that's fine, I don't think you'll find many people from Greece or Italy who will agree with you though.

To which comment? Genetically, Sicilians and Cretans are closer, Cypriots not that distant but still distinct from both. Greek users can say "Cypriots are genetically pure Mycenaeans" and deny your Levantine ancestry, but that doesn't make it accurate nor true.

By the way, on a recent genetic tree type plot recently, Sicilians and southern Italians were on a branch with Cypriots, and the mainland Greeks separate. So I'd imagine Cretans would have been with them too.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:28 PM
None of the three are genetically that different, but of the three, Cypriots are more distant from Cretans genetically than Sicilians are. That is a genetic fact. It's not my opinion, it is a fact.

Tiberio
01-14-2015, 09:35 PM

This dude looks a bit like a catanese man who worked with me.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:36 PM
This dude looks a bit like a catanese man who worked with me.

He looks familiar to me too, though I can't think of who. Someone related to me, that much I know.

Tiberio
01-14-2015, 09:37 PM
To which comment? Genetically, Sicilians and Cretans are closer, Cypriots not that distant but still distinct from both. Greek users can say "Cypriots are genetically pure Mycenaeans" and deny your Levantine ancestry, but that doesn't make it accurate nor true.

By the way, on a recent genetic tree type plot recently, Sicilians and southern Italians were on a branch with Cypriots, and the mainland Greeks separate. So I'd imagine Cretans would have been with them too.

Which study you say?

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Which study you say?

On 23andme, all of the Sicilian and Cretan results plot in the same place on Global Similarity, and the Cypriots plot outside of the Southern European cluster. Also, on Dodecad, Eurogenes, and so on, Cretans always score "Sicilian" as one of their top 3 results, Cypriot always comes in much further down the list.

Now this isn't to say there are 0 differences between Crete and Sicily, but Cretans would be closer to Sicilians than to Cypriots genetically.

I can send you a bunch of Cretan results and show you on multiple calculators what they score.

Bloodsport
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM

We are not talking about genetics here, we are talking about looks. You can't judge a population by some pictures on the internet or some dodgy pictures in nightclubs, you can only judge a population by seeing it in it's entirety when you are actually there. How many times my prejudices and pre-conceived notions were proved wrong when I actually got to travel to a place. If you landed in Cyprus from a Greek island you'd really know no different, almost all of the people look the same (not all, some are very exotic like I've stated), there are Greek flags everywhere, the cuisine, architecture, culture and way of life are exactly the same...the only differences you'd notice is we drive on the left (thanks to the British), we have a different dialect (which is still similar to Cretan Greek and very similar to the Greek spoken in places like Rhodes) and you'd notice some very exotic types, but if you saw them in Sicily you'd just say they were atypical....

The term 'Levantine' is too generic anyway, as Syrians, Israeli's, Iraqi's and Lebanese do NOT look a like. A lot of Christian Lebanese people I know from Beirut could pass in a lot of the Mediterranean as somewhat typical, if we share similarities with them then that's not really a surprise is it?

On top of that, I have always been, I think, very fair and stated that Cypriots are first and foremost Greeks with some west Asian input, primarily coming from Armenia and the Caucasus, not the Levant. Hellenised Maronite's don't count.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:45 PM
We are not talking about genetics here, we are talking about looks. You can't judge a population by some pictures on the internet or some dodgy pictures in nightclubs, you can only judge a population by seeing it in it's entirety when you are actually there. How many times my prejudices and pre-conceived notions were proved wrong when I actually got to travel to a place. If you landed in Cyprus from a Greek island you'd really know no different, almost all of the people look the same (not all, some are very exotic like I've stated), there are Greek flags everywhere, the cuisine, architecture, culture and way of life are exactly the same...the only differences you'd notice is we drive on the left (thanks to the British), we have a different dialect (which is still similar to Cretan Greek and very similar to the Greek spoken in places like Rhodes) and you'd notice some very exotic types, but if you saw them in Sicily you'd just say they were atypical....

The term 'Levantine' is too generic anyway, as Syrians, Israeli's, Iraqi's and Lebanese do NOT look a like. A lot of Christian Lebanese people I know from Beirut could pass in a lot of the Mediterranean as somewhat typical, if we share similarities with them then that's not really a surprise is it?

On top of that, I have always been, I think, very fair and stated that Cypriots are first and foremost Greeks with some west Asian input, primarily coming from Armenia and the Caucasus, not the Levant. Hellenised Maronite's don't count.

Well if we are talking about looks, then I think southern Italians, Cretans, Dodecanese, Cypriots all share strong similarities, even if they can be distinguished on an individual level (for instance lighter Cretans and lighter Sicilians often look different as do some of the darker outliers in each). You've been to Sicily so you know this yourself.

I will see some Cypriot results on other calculators and see for myself, then. :)

Casandrinos
01-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Hellenas Aegean med archetype

Though he is from North Greece xD

Tiberio
01-14-2015, 09:56 PM
The term 'Levantine' is too generic anyway, as Syrians, Israeli's, Iraqi's and Lebanese do NOT look a like.

This is what i also think myself.

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 09:58 PM

I wonder if some Lebanese have some Norman ancestry very distantly from the Crusades. It might explain the rare outlier who looks 100% West Euro .

Tooting Carmen
01-14-2015, 10:01 PM

(1) Iraqis are not Levantines - they are intermediate between them and Gulf Arabs. (2) Based on that logic, we should certainly stop talking about 'Europeans' - after all, Swedes and Maltese, except for the odd individual, look absolutely nothing alike.

Tooting Carmen
01-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Anyway, Samaras is a Pontid-East Med mix.

Tiberio
01-14-2015, 10:06 PM
(1) Iraqis are not Levantines - they are intermediate between them and Gulf Arabs. (2) Based on that logic, we should certainly stop talking about 'Europeans' - after all, Swedes and Maltese, except for the odd individual, look absolutely nothing alike.

For the crowd pictures i have seen Palestinians look darker than Lebanese.

Tooting Carmen
01-14-2015, 10:08 PM
For the crowd pictures i have seen Palestinians look darker than Lebanese.

Only a little - it is probably akin to the difference between British and French people (perhaps not even to that extent).

Sikeliot
01-14-2015, 10:08 PM
A lot of people in Gaza have some Egyptian ancestry, hence why they are much darker and at times even African influences are there.

John Smith
01-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Your typical swarthy-hairy Southern European. :D

Davy Jones's Locker
01-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Atlanto-Pontid/East Med.

Agree.

Ice
01-20-2015, 05:14 AM
In some pictures he resembles me.. especially without facial hair.

Danishmend
01-20-2015, 05:42 AM
Is he Pontus Greek?

wvwvw
01-20-2015, 05:49 AM
A younger Samaras:

http://www.ask-resimleri.com/wp-content/uploads/giorgos-samaras-resimleri-5.jpeg

http://www.ask-resimleri.com/wp-content/uploads/giorgos-samaras-resimleri-5.jpeg

Ice
01-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Is he Pontus Greek?

He must be.. otherwise i don't see any connection :d

Odin
06-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Pontic-Med.

Kivan
09-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Gracile-Med + slightly Dinarid.

Farrukh Hormizd
09-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Pontid

Ice
05-12-2019, 10:21 PM
pontid

Corded
05-13-2019, 01:41 AM
Pontid/atlanto-med + dinarid

Dimitri159
04-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Pontid Med and East Med mix. But his super thin & straight hair kinda throws it off. East Meds typical have thicker & wavy to curly hair.

Immanenz
04-20-2021, 04:59 PM
Pred. Atlanto Med

Dimitri159
04-20-2021, 05:06 PM
He’s from Crete.

Dimitri159
04-20-2021, 05:07 PM
He’s from Crete.

GoalPoacher
04-20-2021, 05:08 PM
East Med