PDA

View Full Version : Litva is publishing a war manual

glass
01-17-2015, 06:38 AM
Lithuania is publishing a manual to advise its citizens on how to survive a war on its soil as concerns grow that Russia's intervention in Ukraine heralds increased assertiveness in its tiny Baltic neighbors.

"Keep a sound mind, don't panic and don't lose clear thinking," the manual explains. "Gunshots just outside your window are not the end of the world."

The manual, which the Defence Ministry will send to libraries next week and also distribute at army events, says Lithuanians should resist foreign occupation with demonstrations and strikes, "or at least doing your job worse than usual".

In the event of invasion, the manual says Lithuanians should organize themselves through Twitter and Facebook and attempt cyber attacks against the enemy.

Lithuania spent much of the last century incorporated in Soviet Union, along with Latvia and Estonia, and upon independence in 1991 quickly sought to join the Western NATO alliance and the European Union.

It is increasingly worried about Russia, not least because of a military drill in the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad last month that featured 9,000 soldiers and more than 55 naval vessels.

"The examples of Georgia and Ukraine, which both lost a part of their territory, show us that we cannot rule out a similar kind of situation here, and that we should be ready," Defence Minister Juozas Olekas told Reuters.

The Lithuanian army and its paramilitary reserve force have seen increased recruitment since the crisis in Ukraine.

"When Russia started its aggression in Ukraine, here in Lithuania our citizens understood that our neighbor is not friendly," Olekas added.

The government is also considering requiring all future buildings to incorporate a bomb shelter on the premises.

Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine last year, and Western governments say they have overwhelming evidence that it is supplying troops and weaponry to pro-Russian separatists who have seized parts of eastern Ukraine, an accusation that Moscow denies.
cyber attacks:picard1::loco::loco:
that country is even more retarded than i thought :rolleyes:

here (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/15/us-lithuania-manual-idUSKBN0KO0XZ20150115)

Petros Houhoulis
01-17-2015, 06:53 AM
cyber attacks:picard1::loco::loco:
that country is even more retarded than i thought :rolleyes:

here (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/15/us-lithuania-manual-idUSKBN0KO0XZ20150115)

Well, what do you expect them to do? Fight a real war?

glass
01-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Well, what do you expect them to do? Fight a real war?
nope ofc, current regime will immediatly flee to London, while locals should organize cyber attacks in twitter and wait for help from Free World :D

Petros Houhoulis
01-17-2015, 07:05 AM
nope ofc, current regime will immediatly flee to London, while locals should organize cyber attacks in twitter and wait for help from Free World :D

Don't count on it, because this is what you thought right at the beginning of WWII when you attacked Finland, and we all know the result...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War#Germany

Perhaps more importantly, the very poor performance of the Red Army encouraged Hitler to think that an attack on the Soviet Union would be successful.

I wonder whether Putin is smarter than Stalin...

FeederOfRavens
01-17-2015, 07:06 AM
How do you expect them to react? They still live in paranoia of the Russian bear and that bear has yet to show them that their fears are unfounded.

glass
01-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Don't count on it, because this is what you thought right at the beginning of WWII when you attacked Finland, and we all know the result...

Firstly Soviet Union won Winter War, secondly finns were not preparing just remain calm and work worse than usual:rolleyes:

Raven_
01-17-2015, 08:10 AM
The article posted in the OP puts accents in a such way that the manual may seem amusing for those who are no familiar with it (that is, everyone who is not from the said country). Otherwise it's a collection of good advices for civilians what to do in a case of a conflict.

Speaking of the internet part, there should be nothing surprising. Social media played a big role in Arab Spring that even "Kremlin is considering radical plans to unplug Russia from the global internet in the event of a serious military confrontation or big anti-government protests at home". (source) (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/19/vladimir-putin-plan-unplug-russia-internet-emergency-kremlin-moscow)
Also, it is well known Russia fights information war to a degree it's impossible to ignore it. Even a Russian channel with primary audience that is from the Baltic countries does not hesitate to spread the most vile and out of touch with reality lies. In case of an attack (whether it's a 'hybrid war' or not), it's pretty obvious the same shizzle we hear about Ukraine will be applied to the Baltic countries.

Rugevit
01-17-2015, 12:59 PM
How do you expect them to react? They still live in paranoia of the Russian bear and that bear has yet to show them that their fears are unfounded.

Lithuanians are not paranoid. More likely the Lithuanian government wants show their allies they are doing their part.

Lithuania does not have natural resources or anything of the value to modern Russia, except possibly land passage to Kaliningrad oblast. Russia is not a threat to Lithuania, although there have been some attempts to establish political influence in former territories. Maybe Russia is not a threat so long as Lithuania remains a member of NATO and EU.

In my opinion main problem of the Baltic states is their shrinking populations. Lithuania lost 25% of the population since 1991. Latvia lost 20% of the population since 1992. The Baltic is now depopulating faster than anywhere else in the world according EU parliamentarian Paul Nuttall.

Jehan
01-17-2015, 01:02 PM
I have no idea of the quality of this war manual, but it's a good idea. I'am curious about what it said, if somebody have an english version, i'am interest.

Drawing-slim
01-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Why is Russia bulling its neighbours? That is just fucked up.

Borna
01-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Most laughable country in history of mankind.
They feel even more scared than for example Estonians or Latvians who actually should scare.

Raven_
01-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Most laughable country in history of mankind.
They feel even more scared than for example Estonians or Latvians who actually should scare.

I am sure you know the best how Lithuanian feel.

Rugevit
01-17-2015, 01:55 PM
I am sure you know the best how Lithuanian feel.

Don't tell me you are paranoid. Are you? :rolleyes:

Raven_
01-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Don't tell me you are paranoid. Are you? :rolleyes:

I am not paranoid. Just acknowledging magical abilities of this young, educated and intelligent © man .