PDA

View Full Version : WalMart a flourishing conduit of poor quality products (2007 article)

The Lawspeaker
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
WalMart a flourishing conduit of poor quality products (http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/19527)
Isabel P. Ball

January 22, 2007

Quality has always means to me a certain standard for products, when consumers could get a long mileage of use, and before, quality was the hallmark of consumer products in America. As has been, the stamped seal of Made In USA was a guarantee of consumers’ satisfaction. Recalling how as a young girl in the Philippines our parents would insist that we buy nothing but parts with the USA seal stamped on it.

With time, that scenario has changed with globalization. Perceptively, quality, nowadays has taken a backseat to quick profits in America, and occurring with speed of soil erosion in a flooded river. The catalyst is the brainchild of world distribution marketing the birth of gargantuan WalMart store.

I first heard of Walmart open in my small university town of Fort Collins in mid-80s. Then, the community buzzed with excitement about availability of affordable products. Curiosity, more than anything, I stepped inside the store, and to my chagrin, I saw what I had initially thought about the chain store, a quality much lower than sold at the JC Penney, May D & F, Sears, Kmart, Montgomery Wards and other reputable store names, I used to shop at.

The initial visit was repeated in the 2000s, when the store in National City opened. Our shopping spree at the Mall and other outlets, before Walmart, stopped, altogether, as the conglomerate has turned into a one-stop-shop, selling clothes, groceries, nursery, electronics, pharmacy, tools, to just about anything an individual would need.

Walmart, an alternative store, apparently, has easily captured America’s consumer heart, raking in billions in profit, thereby, edging many other stores out of the competition landscape, or had somehow forced other stores to downsize to survive. As the buying power of many Americans slips, Walmart is becoming the most frequented shopping place for the mainstream, enticing even the quality-conscious middle class.

Not much of a shopper myself, and on a restrained budget, like many Americans, I would buy essentials at the Walmart. While I endure the sacrifices of patronizing the cheaper price products, noticeably, the quality is eroding, and seemingly becoming disproportionate to the price tags that had kept up with inflation.

In my recent shopping, a pack of underwear bearing a reputable brand, attractively colored and designed, however, belied poor quality in materials and workmanship from Mexico. Sizes starkly differed, as though the materials were overstretched, and the elastic were like a rubber band that has reached its elasticity point. As I was stymied by an earlier return of a wrong-size pack of underwear, I decided to keep the hipsters for validation. Soon, I was able to prove a fact that the eyes are still the best means by which to judge the physical quality of a product. Discards the pack of hipsters had become, and so was my hard earned moolah into the trash. Similarly, the socks I bought containing many pieces in a pack, were also of low quality. A one color, fit-many-sizes pack was a disappointing buy. They fit loosely in my size 7-foot. Cumbersome and irritating, they rotate about inside the shoes; the heels and toes ending on wrong sides of the foot.

On that shopping day, I sort of splurged myself, and picked up a handy cassette player, of an unknown brand, selling truly inexpensively, and was irresistible. In addition, a boom box with cassette, CD, radio features, also of unknown brand, I bought for its looks to replace the still functioning, but bulky Sony stereo. These electronics, however, all lay in my room, unused for lack of the expected quality in sound and performance. You would say perhaps that price always has its weight on quality. To which I’d debate that poor quality products should have no place on any stores. If these products fail to satisfy the consumer, then, the sensible act is to ban them from production, avoid related waste.

Walmart is a store riddled with controversies. It has been alleged to employ cheap labor, and illegal employees in its roster. These, and the degraded quality of products imported mainly from China and Mexico, to mention a few, are the sources of the store’s strength in the business.

The community is saving, price wise, indeed. But something that America seems to be ignoring is the equation of quality to the price. What good are the cheap priced products if consumers are not satisfied with them? In the short and long term, realization might dawn that all these price wars add nothing to consumers’ prosperity, instead only creating few more billionaires in the midst of an impoverished citizenry, at the same time, contributing to an increase in the world garbage. Couple with consumer angst, and worthless consumer products, the situation could reach an economic fatigue point.

Cato
05-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Shitty products are no surprise even to the people that work there.

P.S. This boob should've known better than to buy unknown electronics products of dubious quality. Given that I work in the electronics department of a Walmart, I can tell you personally that we carry very little in the way of truly shitty products. Middling products, like Sanyo or Vizio flatscreens, but there's always the option of simply spending more money to get something good- such as my choice to spend the extra money for a nice Samsung LCD for my bedroom.

These kinds of articles are funny. Walmart offers cheap goods, but it also offers the more expensive stuff too- people get what they pay for, as this idiot should well know. Someone doesn't pay twenty bucks for a cheap boombox and expect the thing to be a Bose-quality sound system.

Sheesh.

Lulletje Rozewater
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Shitty products are no surprise even to the people that work there.

P.S. This boob should've known better than to buy unknown electronics products of dubious quality. Given that I work in the electronics department of a Walmart, I can tell you personally that we carry very little in the way of truly shitty products. Middling products, like Sanyo or Vizio flatscreens, but there's always the option of simply spending more money to get something good- such as my choice to spend the extra money for a nice Samsung LCD for my bedroom.

These kinds of articles are funny. Walmart offers cheap goods, but it also offers the more expensive stuff too- people get what they pay for, as this idiot should well know. Someone doesn't pay twenty bucks for a cheap boombox and expect the thing to be a Bose-quality sound system.

Sheesh.

That was in 2007.
Stores like Game-Makro-Pick 'n Pay are cheap
Even Nokia and LG and have detoriated.
Samsung is my choice

Cato
05-13-2010, 12:53 AM
That was in 2007.
Stores like Game-Makro-Pick 'n Pay are cheap
Even Nokia and LG and have detoriated.
Samsung is my choice

I noticed the date, three years ago, but the complaints against big-box stores like Walmart are pretty much universal in the time-space realm. I hardly ever look at the cheap stuff- unless it's Walmart™ soda which I can get for at least 1/2 the price of Coke, Pepsi, etc. Same taste, far less in terms of cost. :thumb001:

SwordoftheVistula
05-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Walmart™ soda which I can get for at least 1/2 the price of Coke, Pepsi, etc. Same taste, far less in terms of cost.

That stuff is awful and does NOT taste the same.

On the other hand, Big K Red Drop from Kroger is $1.88 per 12 pack and tastes awesome.

Bloodeagle
05-13-2010, 07:51 AM
I do have a blast going to Walmart and people watching. It is like a circus in there and the parking lot is like a city unto itself.

They do have better prices than the other stores when it comes to every day items like paper towels. I also buy my motor oil from them in 3 gallon jugs.
I have yet to buy my food from them.
We buy in bulk from Costco and belong to a health food coop to fill the rest of our larder.

When it comes to electronics I shop at Best Buy. They have the best selection in town and because we have a credit card with them.:D

poiuytrewq0987
05-13-2010, 08:12 AM
There was this one time when my mom bought an abs machine. She got the item but there were several pieces missing so she couldn't assemble the machine. She then tried to return or at least replace those parts, Wal Mart said they couldn't do anything, what a bunch of thieving son of bitches. :coffee:

Cato
05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
That stuff is awful and does NOT taste the same.

On the other hand, Big K Red Drop from Kroger is $1.88 per 12 pack and tastes awesome.

Doesn't taste the same? You vile Hutt! :D

Cato
05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
There was this one time when my mom bought an abs machine. She got the item but there were several pieces missing so she couldn't assemble the machine. She then tried to return or at least replace those parts, Wal Mart said they couldn't do anything, what a bunch of thieving son of bitches. :coffee:

Blame Walmart's shitty return policy, something that none of us likes and yet we're forced to adhere to. It's a "come one, come all" philosophy that makes us bend over and take it in the rear in regards to returned goods and merchandise. My guess is that your mom's ab machine was returned minus a few pieces, someone at customer service didn't care to check the contents, and just had it repackaged for resale. Happens a lot, which is why there's the claims area in the back of every store for stuff like this.

P.S. Why wouldn't they let your mom return it? That's pretty shitty customer service; it's just a simple same-for-same swap that happens all of the time. The returned and incomplete item gets sent to claims and your mom leaves with a new one. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, the people probably just didn't care- which a lot don't, but I take that kind of situation personally. Your mom should've asked for a CSS, CSM, or a manager. Customer service people aren't the final say on what's returned- that's why you go over them. :)

jerney
05-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Weird. Once I went to Walmart, can't remember what I was buying, but I had to ask one of the workers the difference between two items. She explained then told me "Even if you open it and it doesn't suit your needs, just bring it back, Walmart will take anything back."

Cato
05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Weird. Once I went to Walmart, can't remember what I was buying, but I had to ask one of the workers the difference between two items. She explained then told me "Even if you open it and it doesn't suit your needs, just bring it back, Walmart will take anything back."

Which is what makes me :grumpy: at times; I've dealt with people trying to pull fast ones like, say, coming into the store, swiping something, and then going to the service desk and saying "Oh, I don't have a sales recepit for this..."

SwordoftheVistula
05-13-2010, 08:18 PM
They've never let me return anything without a receipt, and they have a time limit (60 days I think)

I got a bike from there and it turned out to be a piece of shit and the pedal broke off after a couple times riding it. I couldn't return it because it was after 60 days, so I bought a new bike and returned the old one with the new receipt. Then the new walmart bike turned out to be a piece of crap too, the rim bent so it was rubbing the brakes, so I just abandoned it when I moved.

Walmart is good for clothes, and competitive enough on food and most household items, but bicycles are one thing you can't buy from a department store.

poiuytrewq0987
05-13-2010, 08:19 PM
They've never let me return anything without a receipt, and they have a time limit (60 days I think)

I got a bike from there and it turned out to be a piece of shit and the pedal broke off after a couple times riding it. I couldn't return it because it was after 60 days, so I bought a new bike and returned the old one with the new receipt. Then the new walmart bike turned out to be a piece of crap too, the rim bent so it was rubbing the brakes, so I just abandoned it when I moved.

Walmart is good for clothes, and competitive enough on food and most household items, but bicycles are one thing you can't buy from a department store.

I wonder if Wal Mart bikes are made in China. :coffee:

SwordoftheVistula
05-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm sure they are. Also the shitty bikes at KMart and all the other such stores, and probably the one I ordered off of Amazon too. All these fell apart shortly after I got them.

Cato
05-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Sword,

With bikes, I think it largely depends upon who the assembly staff is at the Walmart you go to. Bikes are assembled at the store, and taken right to the floor after assembly, and not every assembler knows what's going on- especially if they're new. Where I work, if a bike needs minor adjustments before the thing is sold, and an assembler is on the clock, I'll take it back and have the thing adjusted (I've worked in toys before in addition to my regular job in electronics). Air in the tires, brake chain tightened, handlebars adjusted, etc. Good WM bikes = Schwinn, Mongoose, and Huffy (from my experience).

I've got a behind-the-scenes look at Walmart, and a lot of it boils down to simple customer service. As I've said, some people simply don't give a shit. People love to rag on WM because they seemingly sell cheap shit, which is true I don't deny, but for some of us, it's the job that pays our bills and we try to take it seriously.

:)

SwordoftheVistula
05-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Good WM bikes = Schwinn, Mongoose, and Huffy

I think I've had all 3. The Amazon bike was a Mongoose, the Kmart bike was a Huffy I think, and one of the Walmart bikes was a Schwinn and the the other was a Mongoose I think. All fell apart shortly after me buying them. My friend from England won a Huffy (probably a Kmart or Walmart bike) in an eating contest in college, and this also fell apart within a few weeks.

Maybe it was the assemblers. The Mongoose person I called to complain to was actually nice and tried to be helpful.

Cato
05-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Some of the assemblers don't know what they're doing. I've had to pull bikes off of the floor with backwards handlebars on.

Bloodeagle
05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I think I've had all 3. The Amazon bike was a Mongoose, the Kmart bike was a Huffy I think, and one of the Walmart bikes was a Schwinn and the the other was a Mongoose I think. All fell apart shortly after me buying them. My friend from England won a Huffy (probably a Kmart or Walmart bike) in an eating contest in college, and this also fell apart within a few weeks.

Maybe it was the assemblers. The Mongoose person I called to complain to was actually nice and tried to be helpful.

You get what you pay for. If you want a bike that will last and get you around comfortably and safely, then you will probably have to go to a bike shop and get a real bike.
If you get a basic good quality bike, it will end up costing much less than a couple of dozen junk bikes from China, that you will surely go through.

Arne
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Don´t ever think you can get a Good Bike.
Mongoose and Schwinn... they are dangerous in my opinion.
I advise you an used MTB they can obtained at an affordable Price.
Over 6"0 you should prefer a 28".
They are more comfortable than 26" and really faster.
Mine´s a 95" Specialized Stumpjumper and i even have a Staiger 28" based on a 7020 alloy frame (Made in Germany).

Mongoose oh my god...

Allenson
05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
I never go to Walmart.

I'd much rather go without something for a bit longer, until I can afford a good quality version of whatever it is, than buy cheap crap that won't even last a year.

http://www.loosescrews.net/merch/tshirts/Walmart%20on%20girl%204.jpg

poiuytrewq0987
05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I never go to Walmart.

I'd much rather go without something for a bit longer, until I can afford a good quality version of whatever it is, than buy cheap crap that won't even last a year.

http://www.loosescrews.net/merch/tshirts/Walmart%20on%20girl%204.jpg

Why go to Walmart when you already got a Walmart under her shirt?

abcd123
08-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Gonna give this a strong bump.I have a Faded Glory cargo short from Walmart,and it's the shit.It's cool and sturdy,holds up very nice.I also got a Five Finger Death Punch One Two Fuck You tee which is also badass.And when we don't have anything better to do,we go and take a walk at Walmart.It's a very cool place.