PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter loses one of its stripes and scientists are stumped as to why

Daos
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Jupiter has lost one of its iconic red stripes and scientists are baffled as to why.

The largest planet in our solar system is usually dominated by two dark bands in its atmosphere, with one in the northern hemisphere and one in the southern hemisphere.

However, the most recent images taken by amateur astronomers have revealed the lower stripe known as the Southern Equatorial Belt has disappeared leaving the southern half of the planet looking unusually bare.

The band was present in at the end of last year before Jupiter ducked behind the Sun on its orbit. However, when it emerged three months later the belt had disappeared.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/12/article-1277734-098A07DA000005DC-847_964x444.jpg

Journalist and amateur astronomer Bob King, also known as Astro_Bob, was one of the first to note the strange phenomenon.

He said: 'Jupiter with only one belt is almost like seeing Saturn when its rings are edge-on and invisible for a time - it just doesn't look right.'

It is not the first time this unusual phenomenon has been noticed. Jupiter loses or regains one of its belts every ten of 15 years, although exactly why this happens is a mystery.

Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1277734/Jupiter-loses-stripes-scientists-idea-why.html)

Svanhild
05-13-2010, 06:35 PM
The climate change(tm) even affects Jupiter! Time to act now, we need stronger CO2 controls and bans of cars and stuff. :wink

Save our planet...and Jupiter! :laugh:

Eldritch
05-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1277734/Jupiter-loses-stripes-scientists-idea-why.html)

I don't see how there's any fundamental mystery about it. Jupiter is basically a big ball of gas in constant turmoil. It would be more surprising if it always stayed the same.

Or am I missing something here?

Tabiti
05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Change in climate? Earth, for example, had only one continent before millions of years, why the other planets should stay the same? Maybe changes in Jupiter are faster because its gaseous nature.

poiuytrewq0987
05-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't see how there's any fundamental mystery about it. Jupiter is basically a big ball of gas in constant turmoil. It would be more surprising if it always stayed the same.

Or am I missing something here?

I think we should send an unmanned vessel that can transmit environmental data to Jupiter. Doing so could give us a better idea of what Jupiter is made of, and perhaps find out the mystery behind the disappearing band. It could be anything from vents on ground spewing gas giving Jupiter its unique stripes to weak atmosphere allowing noxious gas to form.

Daos
05-13-2010, 07:30 PM
How many of you have read the entire article, hmm?:p

It's a mystery because they don't understand exactly what happened, for now...

Zankapfel
05-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Even if so, I don't see the big deal either? They may not know why, but it is a regular occurence. Apparently, this is an event that happens rather more frequently than the Saturnian equinox, once every 3 to 15 years and it's happened before. As Tabiti said we hardly understand Terra's pace as it is, let alone Jupiter's.
Gas giants are fascinating, because we can't explore them with our small and unperfected probes :3

Cato
05-14-2010, 01:19 AM
How many of you have read the entire article, hmm?:p

By Jove, I read it all! :P

Murphy
05-14-2010, 04:57 AM
Obviously a plot by Obama to keep critics of his back by launching a monkey to discover the "problem" effecting Jupiter.