PDA

View Full Version : Holland's Politically incorrect Christmas

Creeping Death
01-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Santa's Little (Slave) Helper (http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,594674,00.html)

Myths about Santa's sinister helpers are as widespread in Europe as Grimm's Fairy Tales. In parts of Germany, Knecht Ruprecht brings terror into the hearts of naughty children when the gift-giving season arrives. In Austria it's Krampus, the horned devil who torments adolescents with asocial tendencies. In France, Pere Foutard does the proverbial whipping. Kids in America are threatened with coal in their stockings if they act up, but in European folklore, they are beaten with switches or stuffed in sacks. Brutal stuff. But in no country is the tale of Santa's diabolical sidekick as bizarre as in the Netherlands, home to Zwarte Piet ("Black Pete").
Just when you thought EU Bureaucrats where totally consumed by PC this article shows up. Under the thin veneer of PC behavior I thinks something of the old fire and force that conquered the whole world just a few centuries ago is still smoldering under the ashes. Maybe the current crisis will light the embers. ;)

Brynhild
01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Just when you thought EU Bureaucrats where totally consumed by PC this article shows up. Under the thin veneer of PC behavior I thinks something of the old fire and force that conquered the whole world just a few centuries ago is still smoldering under the ashes. Maybe the current crisis will light the embers. ;)

Aww, just when I thought it was Odin reminding us that it's actually him who sorts out the naughty ones from the nice! :D

Creeping Death
01-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Aww, just when I thought it was Odin reminding us that it's actually him who sorts out the naughty ones from the nice! :D
I no longer celebrate Christnmas or New Years they are just another day as far as I am concerned, just an excuse for me to get drunk:)

Stossy
01-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Pff they are just trying to find excuses to forbid this. The last few years some of the ministers in this country want to ban 'Sinterklaas' and his 'Zwarte Pieten'. Why? Because he is a racist, he does slavery. It is a fest for young and old, it excists for a very long time now. Children look out to this time of the year, it is a tradition.
And only because they are digging in history etc. they want to forbid it.

With Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet it is like this; if you were a bad boy last year you will get caught by Zwarte Piet and you will be put in a bag and be taken to Spain (home of Sinterklaas).
Well this is always a good thing to let the children be nice :).