PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Girlfriends: North vs South!

Goujian
01-23-2015, 07:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbiIu_EzuWk
There is the north-south axis, but people often ignore the west-east axis. Chinese people in general have all sorts of regional culture differences, which can turn ugly.

I think their 'southern' describes most of southern China and probably much of Jiangnan with some exceptions. Cantonese and possibly Hokkien/Teochew girls act different. Sichuanese are a mix of both.

Japanese girls act like southern girls but some northern traits.
Korean girls act like northern girls, except for the cooking part.
I can't say much for Vietnam but they do have a north/south/central difference.

Methmatician
01-24-2015, 05:43 AM
Is the North more 'tough' or something?

Shah-Jehan
01-24-2015, 05:52 AM
the video is hilarious:lol:

zhaoyun
01-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Is the North more 'tough' or something?

Yeah, it is. Also, heavy drinking is a big part of Northern Chinese culture.

The video got something wrong though, the Northern Chinese gf wouldn't be cooking rice, as rice is not a traditional staple of Northern China. She'd be making jiaozi, or dumplings instead.

https://lifewithheather.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/jiaozi.jpg

Methmatician
01-24-2015, 08:17 AM
The video got something wrong though, the Northern Chinese gf wouldn't be cooking rice, as rice is not a traditional staple of Northern China. She'd be making jiaozi, or dumplings instead.
How popular is coconut rice in China? I had a Chinese mate in high school and whenever I'd go to his place for dinner or lunch they'd be having coconut rice with something 9 times out of 10.

zhaoyun
01-24-2015, 08:18 AM
How popular is coconut rice in China? I had a Chinese mate in high school and whenever I'd go to his place for dinner or lunch they'd be having coconut rice with something 9 times out of 10.

Nonexistent. Rice traditionally is not grown in Northern China. And there are no coconuts as it is a cold region. Coconuts only exist in the deep south of China, areas such as Guangxi, Hainan which are subtropical.

Methmatician
01-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Nonexistent. Rice traditionally is not grown in Northern China. And there are no coconuts as it is a cold region. Coconuts only exist in the deep south of China, areas such as Guangxi, Hainan which are subtropical.
Alright. They're probably from the deep south then.

Goujian
01-30-2015, 11:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAdEowW3qKk
Northeastern cuisine is pretty much Northern cuisine.

Goujian
03-21-2015, 05:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vhb4tfe.jpg

Shah-Jehan
03-21-2015, 05:26 PM

could you translate?

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 05:33 PM
That South Chinese girl looks/acts hella cute.

Taiga Lake
03-21-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm not racist but i honestly wouldn't date Chinese woman because i think most of them are just gold diggers (same could be said about southeast asian women).

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm not racist but i honestly wouldn't date Chinese woman because i think most of them are just gold diggers (same could be said about southeast asian women).

That is quite a racist thing to say. It kind of disproves the first three words.

Saying 'I'm not racist' doesn't make you not racist. If I said 'I'm not racist, but I don't have any black friends because I think most of them are rapists' that would be a racist thing to say.

Taiga Lake
03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
That is quite a racist thing to say. It kind of disproves the first three words.

Saying 'I'm not racist' doesn't make you not racist. If I said 'I'm not racist, but I don't have any black friends because I think most of them are rapists' that would be a racist thing to say.

When i said that i'm not racist i mean that the race of the Chinese woman wouldn't matter (and i'm Eurasian myself anyway), but that their gold diggering behaviour, sure i don't know are all of them like that or even most but that's one of the stereotypes they have so i don't know what the reality is.

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 05:49 PM
When i said that i'm not racist i mean that the race of the Chinese woman wouldn't matter (and i'm Eurasian myself anyway), but that their gold diggering behaviour, sure i don't know are all of them like that or even most but that's one of the stereotypes they have so i don't know what the reality is.

Being Saami/Finn doesn't really make you Eurasian mate.

Gold-digging* would you then date a Finnish person of Chinese origin? Or a Chinese person who wasn't a gold-digger? You're judging people as a group, which is what racism is all about. If you said 'I would marry anyone, but sadly many Chinese people are gold-diggers, although that wouldn't preclude me from marrying one that wasn't' that would be different.

Taiga Lake
03-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Being Saami/Finn doesn't really make you Eurasian mate.

Gold-digging* would you then date a Finnish person of Chinese origin?

Well original Samis are one of the subraces of mongoloid race, cousins to Nenets and other Samoyedic people of Siberia (that's where the word Saami comes from too, the Samoyed). I would date Chinese of any nationality if she wasn't gold digger, there are tons of white and other race gold diggers too so the problem is gold digging not race, but i've just heard even that many Chinese are gold diggers.

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Well original Samis are one of the subraces of mongoloid race, cousins to Nenets and other Samoyedic people of Siberia (that's where the word Saami comes from too, the Samoyed). I would date Chinese of any nationality if she wasn't gold digger, there are tons of white and other race gold diggers too so the problem is gold digging not race, but i've just heard even that many Chinese are gold diggers.

Not really, mate. Race doesn't work like that. You'd probably score no more than 15% mongoloid.

Bagot
03-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Chinese gold diggers? Not really.

Dandelion
03-21-2015, 06:13 PM
I guess Chinese diaspora in Tokyo are mainly Northern Chinese then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxPNluwy80

Taiga Lake
03-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Not really, mate. Race doesn't work like that. You'd probably score no more than 15% mongoloid.

Well there's no word for people who are less than 50% Asian so Eurasian has to do, i haven't done dna testing so i don't know specific numbers but i know that most Samis even those who are much less Siberian than i am don't see themselves as white, same could be said about many Turks and Jews too who might have much more European blood than non-european but still don't see themselves as white, mixed people just have to do compromises like Mexicans for example who are very mixed but still usually see themselves as native American.

Shah-Jehan
03-21-2015, 06:15 PM
I guess Chinese diaspora in Tokyo are mainly Northern Chinese then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxPNluwy80

They are probably mainly from Taiwan as it was a Japanese colony before.

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 06:15 PM
North is excellent Waifu material.

South > North

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 06:20 PM
No.

Gib raisins.

Dandelion
03-21-2015, 06:21 PM
It's curious how Asians make such videos about themselves and each other. This is perfectly possible to do with European ethnicities as well. For instance Northern Dutch versus Southern Dutch or Northern French versus Southern French. Yet that doesn't happen (but it would certainly not be a bad idea).

The girl I'm seeing is Dutch (stereotypically so, she's from Zeeland from Protestant background with a Northern Dutch accent), but she has more traits of the Southern Chinese girl despite the Dutch reputation of saying things like they are. :)

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 06:24 PM
The reason I know North would be better than South is from asking a simple question:

"Which one of these two women would be great warriors of Islam?"

Clearly the Southern female lacks strength, self confidence and loyalty, all which are the most of haram in Muhammads book.

I laughed. Here's the correct reasoning though:

"Which of these two women is cuter?"

Clearly the southern one (who also appears to be no less loyal than the northern one).

Dandelion
03-21-2015, 06:26 PM
I laughed. Here's the correct reasoning though:

"Which of these two women is cuter?"

Clearly the southern one (who also appears to be no less loyal than the northern one).

Well, some men like their women 'cute', though not all. The Northern Chinese girl is 'motherly' where the Southern Chinese is 'girly'. Both have their suitors.

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Well, some men like their women 'cute', though not all. The Northern Chinese girl is 'motherly' where the Southern Chinese is 'girly'. Both have their suitors.

I meant physically. But that too.

Nebuchadnezzar
03-21-2015, 06:37 PM
I'd have to go southern on this one.... As I'm a southerner myself.

Arch Hades
03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
China needs Japanese overlords.

Longbowman
03-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Of course a Jewish person will choose the bling, (the "outside" so to say) than what Islamic Warriors like me do, is to choose quality.

Her appearance isn't going to help you on the day of judgement.

You prepare for the Day of Judgement, I'll sleep with the hottest woman I can find.

The Southern girl seemed far more loyal. Less tough, but far more obedient. Isn't that something an Islamic warrior would want?

Goujian
03-22-2015, 02:36 AM
could you translate?

Generally the guide is that the redder the color, the prettier the girls in a province/municipality/autonomous region.

Tchek
03-22-2015, 04:03 AM
I can't say much for Vietnam but they do have a north/south/central difference.
I've got a friend who went to Vietnam north to south and raved all day long about the superiority of Hanoi women over those from Ho Chi Minh

Goujian
03-22-2015, 04:06 AM
I've got a friend who went to Vietnam north to south and raved all day long about the superiority of Hanoi women over those from Ho Chi Minh

True though. I know some people from Hanoi and dayum their women are better looking than most of the Vietnamese here in the US and at HCMC.

StonyArabia
03-22-2015, 04:07 AM
Northern Chinese are taller and stronger. I have seen northern Chinese they can be very big people, southern Chinese and Vietnamese are smaller usually. I think Vietnam is extension of southern China, though I heard they have some Indian admixture to at minor levels.

Anthony PV
03-22-2015, 04:37 AM
Northern Chinese are taller and stronger. I have seen northern Chinese they can be very big people, southern Chinese and Vietnamese are smaller usually. I think Vietnam is extension of southern China, though I heard they have some Indian admixture to at minor levels.

Northerners may be stronger and taller than Southerners... But it's also Northerners who were stomped flat by the hooves of Mongol invaders while Southerners managed to resist them and eventually to kick them out of China... There's also a difference between Northern martial arts and Southern martial arts: the first focus mainly on kicks and wide movements while the second focus mainly on hand-work and infighting. The Chinese refer to this dichotomy with the saying 'Northern Foot, Southern Fist'. I guess the taller Northerners favored kicking while the shorter Southerners were forced to rely on punching...

Among South-East Asians, I think it's the Cambodians and not the Vietnamese who have the most Indian admixture... From the few Cambodians I met in real-life, their phenotype is a peculiar mix of Indian and Chinese traits...

zhaoyun
03-22-2015, 04:43 AM
Northerners may be stronger and taller than Southerners... But it's also Northerners who were stomped flat by the hooves of Mongol invaders while Southerners managed to resist them and eventually to kick them out of China... There's also a difference between Northern martial arts and Southern martial arts: the first focus mainly on kicks and wide movements while the second focus mainly on hand-work and infighting. The Chinese refer to this dichotomy with the saying 'Northern Foot, Southern Fist'. I guess the taller Northerners favored kicking while the shorter Southerners were forced to rely on punching...

Among South-East Asians, I think it's the Cambodians and not the Vietnamese who have the most Indian admixture... From the few Cambodians I met in real-life, their phenotype is a peculiar mix of Indian and Chinese traits...

Well, many peoples including Middle Easterners, Russians, etc were stomped by the Mongols. Throughout history, China had at several times also conquered the Mongols, so there was always a tit for tat. The Southerners have an advantage which is their topography, mountainous with many waterways, something the Mongols were not accustomed to, as they are from the wide open steppes. The Southern Chinese were also great naval navigators.

You're right about the martial arts differences though.

Tchek
03-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Yeah in Okinawa it was the main difference between Naha-te from Naha, a Karate style focusing on wide low postures, low kicks and punches, and Shuri-te from Shuri, a style focusing on high-kicks, high stance. Naha used to be inhabited by southern Asians and Shuri by northern Asians.

Kawaiine
03-22-2015, 04:56 AM

:rolleyes:

Goujian
03-22-2015, 05:06 AM
:rolleyes:

Hong Kong is in red :)

Kawaiine
03-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Hong Kong is in red :)

i can see that

why is hk red?

SupaThug
03-22-2015, 06:27 AM
i can see that

why is hk red?

I think that it means that girls from Hong Kong are among the prettiest in China.

zhaoyun
03-22-2015, 03:36 PM
I think that it means that girls from Hong Kong are among the prettiest in China.

Probably just because they get to spend a lot on makeup. But in terms of facial features and figures, generally the Northern and Eastern regions, and Sichuan has the most attractive women.

Longbowman
03-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Probably just because they get to spend a lot on makeup. But in terms of facial features and figures, generally the Northern and Eastern regions, and Sichuan has the most attractive women.

Disagree, it's all about Guangzhou. My great-great-grandmother was from Shanghai and she's been described as 'frumpy.'

zhaoyun
03-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Disagree, it's all about Guangzhou. My great-great-grandmother was from Shanghai and she's been described as 'frumpy.'

Maybe your great great grandma was (I didn't even know you were part Chinese), but Shanghainese women > HK women in general. A lot of HK men are obsessed with Shanghainese women.

Longbowman
03-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Maybe your great great grandma was (I didn't even know you were part Chinese), but Shanghainese women > HK women in general. A lot of HK men are obsessed with Shanghainese women.

She was probably not ethnically Chinese. You comin' on to my kinfolk?

zhaoyun
03-22-2015, 03:50 PM
She was probably not ethnically Chinese. You comin' on to my kinfolk?

I'm not comin on anything.

Anyways, cool, Shanghai actually had a large Jewish population at one time. Last time I was there, I visited the Ohel Moshe Synagogue.

My pics:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2607s50.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/33pa9w4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Jewish_Refugees_Museum#Ohel_Moshe_Synagog ue

Longbowman
03-22-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm not comin on anything.

Anyways, cool, Shanghai actually had a large Jewish population at one time. Last time I was there, I visited the Ohel Moshe Synagogue.

My pics:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2607s50.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/33pa9w4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Jewish_Refugees_Museum#Ohel_Moshe_Synagog ue

Still a couple of thousand. This ancestor was of Baghdadi (Iraqi-Indian Jewish) descent, supposedly, though if she were I come from some hecka white other folk to plot where I do.

Who knows though, I've always scored high East Asian, maybe someone had a little - ugh - yellow fever? Either way as things stand my kids will be part-Chinese.

zhaoyun
03-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Still a couple of thousand. This ancestor was of Baghdadi (Iraqi-Indian Jewish) descent, supposedly, though if she were I come from some hecka white other folk to plot where I do.

Who knows though, I've always scored high East Asian, maybe someone had a little - ugh - yellow fever? Either way as things stand my kids will be part-Chinese.

There existed a prominent Iraqi Jewish community in Shanghai in the old days. It was very cosmopolitan and had many immigrant communities when it was a colonial outpost pre-Communist revolution.

Longbowman
03-22-2015, 03:58 PM
There existed a prominent Iraqi Jewish community in Shanghai in the old days. It was very cosmopolitan and had many immigrant communities when it was a colonial outpost pre-Communist revolution.

My family only stuck around one generation, from what I can tell. The places we've had long stays, outside the UK, have been India and more extensively the Caribbean.

Diamantino
04-01-2015, 10:42 PM
the video is hilarious

the same in Portugal :P
i think!
North - Porto
South - Lisbon

Roy
04-01-2015, 11:54 PM

Do you even know any Chinese woman personally? Taking too much attention to some random stereotype to which you don't have personal experiences is senseless.

Goujian
04-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Many people will say northern Chinese eat wheat, southerners eat rice, etc but I feel that it's a naive assumption.

There was rice cultivation in northern China and in ancient times, the poor ate hardier grains like millet or wheat while the upper-classes ate rice. Eating rice was more of a status of wealth. The one exception to rice cultivation in northern china is northeastern China, in which its rice agriculture was a later development from Korea.

In much of inland China where the climate is either dry or wet, people prefer spicier foods. They are often poor, so it tends towards the oily side. So the real difference within Chinese food is rich vs poor, coastal vs inland.