PDA

View Full Version : Scramble! RAF warplanes are intercepting Russian nuclear bombers at least once a month

Liffrea
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Streaking across the sky in front of a rising sun, the huge Russian jet heads towards Britain.

Capable of carrying nuclear weapons at supersonic speeds, it is a potential threat the RAF must tackle - and fast.

Tornado fighters are scrambled. They intercept the Blackjack bomber and shadow it until the Russian pilots turn for home.

But this is no isolated incident. Astonishingly, such high-stakes games of cat and mouse are being played out in the skies off Britain at least once a month.

State-of-the-art British warplanes have taken to the air 64 times since 2006 to head off Russian aircraft, figures reveal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278580/RAF-warplanes-intercept-Russian-nuclear-bombers-month.html#ixzz0o0hRgFrN

anonymaus
05-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I've had my eye on this since the stories first cropped up regularly in 05-06. The Bear is always testing our defenses.

RoyBatty
05-15-2010, 04:24 PM
I've had my eye on the hysteria in the tabloid media about this and have noticed how this particular story keeps getting regurgitated every couple of weeks.

Russian military planes flying up and down the coast is nothing new and unusual. The Russian planes don't cross over into "British Airspace". Somebody out there has an interest in stoking up controversy where none exists and then "shocking reports" emerge explaining how the RAF is "keeping us safe" and how "those bad Russians are trying to get us".

A handful of those planes could easily wipe out the main population centers in the UK. Naturally there'll be retaliation but by that time the damage would have been done. The RAF cannot prevent a first strike attack from happening so I'm at a loss to understand what the tabloids and the sponsors of these stories are trying to achieve apart from instilling fear in the general population.

Jarl
05-15-2010, 05:16 PM
A handful of those planes could easily wipe out the main population centers in the UK. Naturally there'll be retaliation but by that time the damage would have been done. The RAF cannot prevent a first strike attack from happening ...

:yawn:

mustangeroo
05-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I've never heard of a Russian aircraft getting away with an airspace incursion. If they entered NATO airspace they would be intercepted before they could overfly population centers and disrupt air traffic, much less drop the bomb. If the RAF didn't get them, USAFE would definitely knock them out of the sky.

I'm not so sure the Russians are "testing" defenses so much as they are ignoring the rules. The Russians rarely file flight plans. Its my opinion that any incursion is due to navigational error, in other words, worthless pilots.

RoyBatty
05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I've never heard of a Russian aircraft getting away with an airspace incursion.

According to certain reports they do sometimes get away with it. In any case, it has to be assumed that there will be times when any side is caught napping. It happens to everybody.

If they entered NATO airspace they would be intercepted before they could overfly population centers and disrupt air traffic, much less drop the bomb. If the RAF didn't get them, USAFE would definitely knock them out of the sky.

NATO's airspace is vast. Much of it is in the middle of nowhere making detection and interception difficult depending on how many tracking installations are operational in a given area.

Another factor to consider is that this isn't WW2 anymore. Aircraft like the TU-160 don't actually need to be "over NATO airspace" to "drop the bomb". They just need to be within missile range and that range can be from as far away as 2000 miles.

If Russia really wanted to launch a strike against the UK they wouldn't need to fly all the way up to the UK's borders in order to do this. At this range the RAF wouldn't have a hope of reaching them never mind catching them.

The Daily Mail fighting talk about how "they are protecting us from Russian aggression" are warm and fuzzy feelgood RAF PR stories. In a real war / conflict those planes will have to be stopped at least 2000 miles from the UK's borders. A Tornado or a Eurofighter's combat radius is about 850 miles, LOL!!! :D

Without inflight refuelling they wouldn't even get 1/2 way and in a real last ditch defense there isn't going to be time to launch and coordinate tankers.

I'm not so sure the Russians are "testing" defenses so much as they are ignoring the rules. The Russians rarely file flight plans. Its my opinion that any incursion is due to navigational error, in other words, worthless pilots.

Pilot error?

Oh come off it. If the pilot can't figure out where the UK's borders are then surely how could he ever figure out how to get back to Engels AF Base???? :D

What rules?

The planes don't actually cross national borders. The Americans do the same thing flying along the borders of countries with whom they have uneasy relations. Case in point, the Yank P3 which made an emergency landing in China some years ago after an aerial collision which occurred during a spying run along China's coastline.

If the Russian aircraft did cross the border for real it would have been interpreted as a provocation and there would have been trouble.

The typically dishonest and unreliable British media just love to write sensationalist articles implying that this happens. The Daily Mail bomber sensation story (you'll notice how they and associated publications regurgitate it on a monthly basis) is just that..... hysteria over nothing to score propaganda points for the media owners (who also own our politicians) and scaremongering to gain more public support (and $$$$) for the military industrial complex.

mustangeroo
05-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I think it is very easy to screw up coordinates and end up where you don't intend. I don't think it is a calculated test. I heard of an American KC135 that did just that over Iran. Take it for what its worth. I'm no expert.

I agree. Sounds like the press is trying to scare people.

RoyBatty
05-23-2010, 09:49 PM
It can happen sure but it's unlikely to happen on a consistent basis. Visits from the Russian AF is a regular occurrence. As far as I'm aware they don't cross the line wrt the UK.

Albion
04-03-2012, 07:14 PM
What I've never understood is just how they make it across Europe without anyone in Germany, Denmark or Norway really doing anything.
If Russian or any non-allied aeroplanes or ships enter our territory without good reason (such as mechanical fault or emergencies) then they should be warned and be given time to get out before being shot down.

We cannot allow other states to violate our borders. Scrambling jets and waving at the Russians is quaint but just ensures that they keep doing it.

Romanion
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
What I've never understood is just how they make it across Europe without anyone in Germany, Denmark or Norway really doing anything.
If Russian or any non-allied aeroplanes or ships enter our territory without good reason (such as mechanical fault or emergencies) then they should be warned and be given time to get out before being shot down.

We cannot allow other states to violate our borders. Scrambling jets and waving at the Russians is quaint but just ensures that they keep doing it.

Turkish warplanes and Navy continualy enter Greek water/airspace illegaly almost on a weekly basis. Greece kept on being told to find a proper solution diplomatically from western Europe, but when it happens to them they go crazy, even if they don't even enter British airspace.

Albion
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Turkish warplanes and Navy continualy enter Greek water/airspace illegaly almost on a weekly basis. Greece kept on being told to find a proper solution diplomatically from western Europe, but when it happens to them they go crazy, even if they don't even enter British airspace.

Yes, Turkey should be told to keep out of Greek territory. That both countries are part of NATO would probably be the excuse, but Russia isn't part of NATO and has been openly hostile in the past.