PDA

View Full Version : Haplogroups are deceiving

altin
01-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Each of us has 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 grand grandparents and so on. It's a geometric progression with base 2. If we go 10 generations back we'll get about a 1000 grand... grandparents. Each of them contributes the same, with 100% / 1000 = 0.1% of our genes.

Haplogroups can trace only one of these ancestors, the father of the father of ... the father (ydna in this case). This is just a technical coincidence. If haplogroups were inherited following another pattern, e.g. from father to daughter and from mother to son, the haplogroup of another ancestor would come down to us.

Let's say that those 1000 ancestors are either of haplogroup A or haplogroup B, respectively 50 A's and 950 B's. Whether you have haplogroup A or B, you'll be 5% similar to A's and 95% similar to B's. So it doesn't really matter what haplogroup you have, what matters is in what percentages those haplogroups are among your ethnic group.

You could have haplogroup A and be 99% B or have haplogroup B and be 99% A. Not only they don't speak about your genetic similarities, but they suggest wrong genetic identities.

What do you think?

Highlands
01-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Can you explain this: "You could have haplogroup A and be 99% B or have haplogroup B and be 99% A"

Agron
01-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Haplogroups only make a tiny percentage of your genome and doesn't say that much about it either (it only indicates your ancestor from thousands of years ago). Take Archon Progon for example, he has a really rare haplogroup among albos, but still he scores like 93% balkan.
Anyway I don't think I really understood your topic bro.

Jackson
01-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Yes they are only a small part of your ancestry, but still useful for genealogical reasons, and for interests' sake. It is also a more direct connection with your ancestors in some ways, because you know that you carry it like a biological heirloom.

Harkonnen
01-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Haplogroups are very important. It's a fact.

(I'm speaking here ofc man-haplos. Nobody cares about bitch-haplos. Not even bitches themselves.)

Agron
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Yes they are only a small part of your ancestry, but still useful for genealogical reasons, and for interests' sake. It is also a more direct connection with your ancestors in some ways, because you know that you carry it like a biological heirloom.

I don't disagree with that. Still I don't see the intentions of the thread.

Unome
01-25-2015, 08:32 PM
I disagree, male y-DNA haplogroups are very specific. And I have this sixth sense that when I meet a new person, I usually can tell that he is R1a like I am even though we are complete strangers. That signals to me that DNA runs deeper than most people realize. Haplogroups ultimately represent directly extended family, blood relations, ethnicity, and race.

DNA does not, cannot, lie.

altin
01-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Can you explain this: "You could have haplogroup A and be 99% B or have haplogroup B and be 99% A"

Well, I thought I did. Your parents contribute equally to your genes, with 50%. Your grandparents contribute equally with 25%. If we keep going back for example 10 generations ago, which is less than 300 years, we get 1000 grand... grandparents, which contribute equally with 0.1% of your genes. Your haplogrops tell you what haplogroup had only one of these grand...grandparents. It is a technical coincidence that that grand...grandparent is the father of ... the father.

Let's say that from these 1000 great...greatparents of yours, 10 had haplogroup A while 990 had haplogroup B. This means you're 10 * 0.1% = 1% similar with A's and
990 * 0.1% = 99% similar with B's. However one of those 10 A's could be the father of ... the father of yours. So you'd have haplogroup A even though you're only 1% A.

Highlands
01-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Well, I thought I did. Your parents contribute equally to your genes, with 50%. Your grandparents contribute equally with 25%. If we keep going back for example 10 generations ago, which is less than 300 years, we get 1000 grand... grandparents, which contribute equally with 0.1% of your genes. Your haplogrops tell you what haplogroup had only one of these grand...grandparents. It is a technical coincidence that that grand...grandparent is the father of ... the father.

Let's say that from these 1000 great...greatparents of yours, 10 had haplogroup A while 990 had haplogroup B. This means you're 10 * 0.1% = 1% similar with A's and
990 * 0.1% = 99% similar with B's. However one of those 10 A's could be the father of ... the father of yours. So you'd have haplogroup A even though you're only 1% A.

That makes sense sorry in the OP I read "50 A's and 50B's" for some reason.

Skerdilaid
02-03-2015, 03:16 AM
Why would they be deceiving? You are not making any sense. y-dna and mtdna do not represent your adna since they are only just a fraction of your dna, but for patriarchal society like ours, for example, y-dna is the absolute truth on confirming your heritage and ancestry.