PDA

View Full Version : Northern Italians

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 12:12 AM
I haven't seen a post about Northern Italians here. It's a very interesting culture, I'm Northern Italian (mostly from Trentino-Alto Ádige), but also Lombardia, Vêneto and Friuli. What do you think about this "mixed" culture?

SupaThug
01-29-2015, 12:14 AM
I love it!I have venetian ancestry.

Trogdor
01-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Northern Italy has yielded many well-known Italians such as Dante, Galileo, Michelangelo, da Vinchi and others.

*EDIT: These guys were from Tuscany which is central, not northern Italy. My error. The part about northern Italians yielding well known people is still true though. (Luciano Pavarotti, Enzo Ferrari, Giorgio Armani etc.)

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 12:18 AM
Great. LESM, I see that you're Brazilian as well. There is a difference between Italians from São Paulo and Italians from the South, mostly Southern Brazilian Italians are Trentinos! São Paulo received people from Vêneto, Lombardia and Roma. But is a great culture, we still practice in my city, speaking dialects, etc. It's an interesting thing because Italy is a recent state, and the Northern region contrast a lot with the Southern Region.

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Northern Italy has yielded many well-known Italians such as Dante, Galileo, Michelangelo, da Vinchi and others.

Yes, indeed. But you have very different cultures, as dialects for example, because Italy was very separated before the Italian Empire "started".

SupaThug
01-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Great. LESM, I see that you're Brazilian as well. There is a difference between Italians from São Paulo and Italians from the South, mostly Southern Brazilian Italians are Trentinos! São Paulo received people from Vêneto, Lombardia and Roma. But is a great culture, we still practice in my city, speaking dialects, etc. It's an interesting thing because Italy is a recent state, and the Northern region contrast a lot with the Southern Region.

Yeah,São Paulo has greater diversity when it comes to italians...most northern italians went to rural ares of São Paulo while the capital has always been dominated by Southern Italians,traditional italian neighborhoods in São Paulo like Mooca are full of Campanians,Calabrians and some Sicilians.

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 12:32 AM
Yeah,São Paulo has greater diversity when it comes to italians...most northern italians went to rural ares of São Paulo while the capital has always been dominated by Southern Italians,traditional italian neighborhoods in São Paulo like Mooca are full of Campanians,Calabrians and some Sicilians.

Yes. Here we received more Trentinos and Lombardos. They went through this area (Blumenau, I think you know it, in 1900 it was all Blumenau, but then they separated and created new cities by cultures). Not a thing that I'm so proud of, but they killed many Native-Americans (because before it, there was nothing, only forests and native-americans).

Trogdor
01-29-2015, 12:35 AM
Yes, indeed. But you have very different cultures, as dialects for example, because Italy was very separated before the Italian Empire "started".

Yes I know that Italy has had many differing regions, cultures and dialects. I think here in America a lot of people from Northern Italy live in places like California. There is a documentary about it called "Finding the Mother Lode" which discusses the experiences of northern Italians from places like Liguria who immigrated to the U.S.

alfieb
01-29-2015, 12:37 AM

Tuscans are not from Northern Italy.

Arrows
01-29-2015, 12:40 AM
Not much to think about. They're basically just Germans who speak Italian

Trogdor
01-29-2015, 12:41 AM

Then they are central Italians. Someone in my family kept referring to Tuscany as "the north" though. Guess that's where I got it from.

SupaThug
01-29-2015, 12:42 AM

Right!Tuscans are centrals and many look as ''dark'' as southerns,I have tuscan ancestry too and my 100% tuscan ggfather was a very stereotypical ''dark'' italian.

SupaThug
01-29-2015, 12:43 AM

Germans who speak italian :picard1:

Zivernach

My thoughts exactly.

alfieb
Then they are central Italians. Someone in my family kept referring to Tuscany as "the north" though. Guess that's where I got it from.
Just about anything's north of Bari. ;)

Arrows
01-29-2015, 12:44 AM
Right!Tuscans are centrals and many look as ''dark'' as southerns,I have tuscan ancestry too and my 100% tuscan ggfather was a very stereotypical ''dark'' italian.

Italians are very depigmented and don't have any dark features. If you were really Brazilian youd know that Italians are viewed as the same blonde white people as all the Germans and Polish people that immigrated there

Trogdor
01-29-2015, 12:44 AM
Just about anything's north of Bari. ;)

It's all about perspective, I suppose.

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 12:45 AM
Germans who speak italian :picard1:

Yes, the ethnicity is Germanic, no doubt, but we have mixes with Slavs (Slovenians) and Southern Italians. But German influence in Northern Italian is awesome, Trento for example received a lot of German Immigrants in XX Century because of the Mines.

Volscian
01-29-2015, 12:46 AM
Northern Italy has yielded many well-known Italians such as Dante, Galileo, Michelangelo, da Vinci and others.
Northern Italy has yielded many others but not these ones. They are from Tuscany, i.e. Central Italians.

SupaThug
Italians are very depigmented and don't have any dark features. If you were really Brazilian youd know that Italians are viewed as the same blonde white people as all the Germans and Polish people that immigrated there

I know that how they are seen here!Bout those lighter italians are from southern brazilian and as OP said they are mostly trentinos!Venetians are far from looking like germans even the lightest ones.

Trogdor
Northern Italy has yielded many others but not these ones. They are from Tuscany, i.e. Central Italians.

Yes, I edited my original post and corrected it.

SupaThug
01-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Yes, the ethnicity is Germanic, no doubt, but we have mixes with Slavs (Slovenians) and Southern Italians. But German influence in Northern Italian is awesome, Trento for example received a lot of German Immigrants in XX Century because of the Mines.

This germanic influence is present in Trento and South Tyrol mostly...Venetians do not look germanic.

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 12:48 AM
I know that how they are seen here!Bout those lighter italians are from southern brazilian and as OP said they are mostly trentinos!Venetians are far from looking like germans even the lightest ones.

Venetians and Friulians look mostly like Slavs.

For example, my taxonomy is Subnordid + West-Baltid, and I have Venetian and Friulian blood (residual, but I have).

Volscian
01-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Ops, cross posting.

SupaThug
01-29-2015, 12:50 AM
Venetians and Friulians look mostly like Slavs.

Yeah,but they still having very italian looks.

Smaug
01-29-2015, 12:57 AM
Yes. Here we received more Trentinos and Lombardos. They went through this area (Blumenau, I think you know it, in 1900 it was all Blumenau, but then they separated and created new cities by cultures). Not a thing that I'm so proud of, but they killed many Native-Americans (because before it, there was nothing, only forests and native-americans).

In São Paulo Northern Italians went to the countryside as LESM said. They were mostly Venetians and Lombards.

Ades
01-29-2015, 01:09 AM
Hi Zivernach, welcome to the forum!

I'll have to disagree with you when it comes to a few things, though:

I don't know about SC, but many Venetians settled in the south, at least in RS. It is quite balanced between people from Trentino and Veneto when it comes to Italian-Gaúchos, with Venetians being a little bit more common, I would say.

Also, I disagree that North Italians are just Italian speaking Germans. Many north Italians have central European looks, that are similar to Germans, but the culture, and the genetic profile are definitely different. Trentino has some German cultural influence due to the Austrian rule, but it is slight, and deosn't seem to have afected their genetic origins. North Italians are very different from south Italians genetically, but that is not necessarily due to German blood.

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 01:12 AM
Hi Zivernach, welcome to the forum!

I'll have to disagree with you when it comes to a few things, though:

I don't know about SC, but many Venetians settled in the south, at least in RS. It is quite balanced between people from Trentino and Veneto when it comes to Italian-Gaúchos, with Venetians being a little bit more common, I would say.

Also, I disagree that North Italians are just Italian speaking Germans. Many north Italians have central European looks, that are similar to Germans, but the culture, and the genetic profile are definitely different. Trentino has some German cultural influence due to the Austrian rule, but it is slight, and deosn't seem to have afected their genetic origins. North Italians are very different from south Italians genetically, but that is not necessarily due to German blood.

Thanks!
Well, about "Germans speaking Italian" I was talking about their phenotype. But the culture is different (you have german looking people with italian culture), you can't deny it but you can't generalize as well. In my region we received Trentinos and Lombardos and few Friulians and Venetians.

Aodhan
01-29-2015, 01:13 AM
Brazil is the miscegenated Italy

SupaThug
01-29-2015, 01:15 AM
Brazil is the miscegenated Italy

Not even half of the brazilian population has italian ancestry!

Daniele90
There is no "German phenotype" either..

Ades
Thanks!
Well, about "Germans speaking Italian" I was talking about their phenotype. But the culture is different (you have german looking people with italian culture), you can't deny it but you can't generalize as well. In my region we received Trentinos and Lombardos and few Friulians and Venetians.

Well, surely both the regions of German and North Italian ancestry in the south are great places to live, and have lots of similarities.

Zivernach
01-29-2015, 01:19 AM
Well, surely both the regions of German and North Italian ancestry in the south are great places to live, and have lots of similarities.

I'm talking about Blumenau, Vale do Itajaí. In this region of SC was like this, I don't know about the rest of SC.

Ades
01-29-2015, 01:21 AM
Lots of Brazilians in this forum lately, huh?

It's like we are dethroning the Balkanites. :laugh:

Journeyman26
02-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Absolutely love Northern Italian culture.. I spent a couple summers in my youth visiting the ancestral town of Borgo val di Taro in Emilia-Romagna. As well as the Medievialis festival just across the border in Tuscany. The people are great, the art is fantastic, and if you love castles, they have a metric butt-ton of them. That being said, I felt like you had to prove yourself a little to the locals before they fully opened up to you, but once you did it was totally worth it and you never meet better people. I feel like the heavy tourism mixed with italo-negative TV such as Jersey Shore, kind of make them a bit unsure how others view them, so they can get cagy. But wouldn't you? haha

dawson
02-21-2015, 02:12 PM

*EDIT: These guys were from Tuscany which is central, not northern Italy. My error. The part about northern Italians yielding well known people is still true though. (Luciano Pavarotti, Enzo Ferrari, Giorgio Armani etc.)

Some of the biggest Roman poets came from North Italy, as Virgil and Catullus.

dawson
02-21-2015, 02:16 PM

only Trento has some German influence, a native from Milan or Turin does NOT have German influence at all..

Journeyman26
02-21-2015, 02:35 PM
only Trento has some German influence, a native from Milan or Turin does NOT have German influence at all..

Those large cities like Milan and Turin have their own distinct identities yes. But the dialect of Italian my grandparents speak (from Lunigiana area between Emilia, Tuscany, and Liguria) has German, French, and even Flemish words mixed in. Northern Italy was the proxy warzone of the great powers during the Italian Wars, it is reasonable to assume that a great many soldiers/mercenaries just stayed there.

dawson
02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Those large cities like Milan and Turin have their own distinct identities yes. But the dialect of Italian my grandparents speak (from Lunigiana area between Emilia, Tuscany, and Liguria) has German, French, and even Flemish words mixed in. Northern Italy was the proxy warzone of the great powers during the Italian Wars, it is reasonable to assume that a great many soldiers/mercenaries just stayed there.

Yeah, actually many dialects from North Italy sound like French, not German. In Italian language there are some words of German origin, but that's all.

Ianus
02-21-2015, 02:57 PM

Dialect from Lunigiana is a Gallo Italic dialect, the influence of Germanic languages is very low or null.