PDA

View Full Version : Well, at least it cannot possibly get any worse than this

Eldritch
05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Somali population in Finland growing fast

Arrival of newcomers affected by security situation in Somalia and changes in Finnish immigration policy

http://www.hs.fi/kuvat/iso_webkuva/1135256865680.jpeg

At the beginning of the year Finland had 11,881 residents speaking the Somali language as their mother tongue. About three fifths of them were born in Somalia.

Nobody knows what the figures will show ten years from now.

In recent years the number of Somali-speaking people in Finland has increased by nearly ten per cent in a year. Some of them are asylum seekers, and some are people who have been granted residence permits on the basis of family ties, while many are children who were born in Finland

In the Helsinki region, about half of the growth in the Somali population involves children born in Finland.

Of the 1,180 Somalis who applied for asylum in Finland last year, 548 were granted a residence permit.

The number of Somali asylum seekers has decreased considerably this year, and if the same pace continues, there will be about 600 by the end of the year.

Nearly all Somali asylum seekers whose applications are approved apply for residence permits for family members as well.

travel expenses of the rest of the clan over here as well :thumbs up]

At the end of this year, there were about 6,000 applications for immigration based on family ties, says Heikki Taskinen, director of the immigration unit of the Finnish Immigration Service.

Handling times of applications have stretched from the legal requirement of nine months to more than two years. One application is filed for each family member.

In recent years 534 Somalis got residence permits on the basis of family unification - slightly more than half of all applicants. At this rate, there will be thousands of newcomers in the coming years.

It is hard to predict exactly what the future will look like, as there are many variables involved. The most important of these include the security situation in Somalia, and changes in the immigration policies of Finland and other countries.

The Immigration Service says that most of the adults coming to Finland through family unification are illiterate. Helsingin Sanomat asked Mervi Virtanen, head of immigration at the Ministry of the Interior, how their integration into Finnish society is to be achieved.

“We have teaching plans and training for adults who cannot read or write. However, more resources for education are needed already now.”

Somali-born social worker Mukhtar Abib believes that it is possible even for illiterate immigrants to thrive in Finland and get work, if there is enough motivation. [:rofl:]

Abib believes that especially in need of encouragement are young people in danger of being marginalised, and housewives who lack language skills and education.

“I hope that women who work would speak to mothers who arrive here, and tell them that getting a family is not the only way to gain respect in the community”, Abib says.

The Somali community in Finland is undergoing constant changes. Abib believes that the generation of Somalis that has been born in Finland is more linguistically skilled, and more open-minded than the previous generation.

With time, there can be some social differentiation within the community, as some succeed better than others.

Cultures gradually blend in with each other. Researcher Heini Lehtonen says that speech patterns of young Finns in the East of Helsinki already show signs of an indirect influence of the Somali language.

[I live in East HKI and fortunately I can tell you that this bit, at least, is pure BS. These multikulti "researchers" all too often confuse wishful thinking with fact]

Abib says that many Somalis who have adapted to Finland are so accustomed to silence that a more loud style of conversation annoys them.

“Young people get to know each other at school and in military service. Gradually attitudes change when they notice that we’re all people in the same way”, Mukhtar Abib says. [Awww :love:]

Link. (http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Somali+population+in+Finland+growing+fast/1135256885942)

Summa summarum:

Nobody knows wha t the future will bring ... nobody knows how of them are coming ...

It's great that you've got this thing "transforming Helsinki into New Mogadishu" thing so well thought out, people! Don't drop the ball now! :bored0:

LoneWolf
05-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Wow seriously crazy. They should take a page from Arizona's immigration law book.

Electronic God-Man
05-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Cultures gradually blend in with each other. Researcher Heini Lehtonen says that speech patterns of young Finns in the East of Helsinki already show signs of an indirect influence of the Somali language.

[I live in East HKI and fortunately I can tell you that this bit, at least, is pure BS. These multikulti "researchers" all too often confuse wishful thinking with fact]

Fuck, I'm glad it's BS. I almost choked. Why would anyone want Finnish speech patterns to start showing signs of Somali influence? Goddamn.

poiuytrewq0987
05-18-2010, 12:14 AM
travel expenses of the rest of the clan over here as well :thumbs up]

Yay for the Nordic model?

Svipdag
05-18-2010, 01:00 AM
"Well, at least it cannot possibly get any worse than this." You jest, of course. I hate to think that your generosity and compassion will explode in your faces, but aren't y'all being just a little bit naive ? :rolleyes:

tired
05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Somali and Sudan refugees seem to cause more shit than anyother african refugees here

Puddle of Mudd
05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd imagine that they'd stick out in a crowd.

The Ripper
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
[Cultures gradually blend in with each other. Researcher Heini Lehtonen says that speech patterns of young Finns in the East of Helsinki already show signs of an indirect influence of the Somali language.

I live in East HKI and fortunately I can tell you that this bit, at least, is pure BS. These multikulti "researchers" all too often confuse wishful thinking with fact

I live close to the "most multicultural school of Espoo" and have plenty of friends and acquaintances who went to school there, and I would say that some Finnish kids, who actually hang out with the Somalis, Arabs and others do speak a strange kind of ghetto-Finnish which does have hints of immigrant influence. It sounds somehow "lazy".

antonio
05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
I live close to the "most multicultural school of Espoo" and have plenty of friends and acquaintances who went to school there, and I would say that some Finnish kids, who actually hang out with the Somalis, Arabs and others do speak a strange kind of ghetto-Finnish which does have hints of immigrant influence. It sounds somehow "lazy".

Some days ago, I was leaving office when I check tumbling down the street a princess-looking 18 y.o. long-wavy-blonde haired girl with a tall-but-fatty Negroid-intermixed Moor of the same age staring people with an expression middle way but less arrogant than retarded :embarrassed :taped-shut: Frankly I would prefer her 30 years ago signed as a rebel by entering some obscure Maoist groupuscle. I inmediately though not on me (with her) but in her parents...my prayers and thoughs are with them, I sincerely hope it's a transitorial state, cause she looked clever enough to try to arrange that shit.

Ps. I bet in Finland cases like that are common place. I bet we're all damned too. Thank you, progressive educators & brainwashers. :puke

Eldritch
05-19-2010, 08:34 PM
"Well, at least it cannot possibly get any worse than this." You jest, of course. I hate to think that your generosity and compassion will explode in your faces, but aren't y'all being just a little bit naive ? :rolleyes:

Well, that would depend on what the definition of "it" that we are using at the moment would be. There are worse scenarios, even on the immigration front, of course, just not particularly probable ones.

I used to live in Koivukylä, Vantaa -- probably the worst place in the whole Capital Region after Hakunila. The local "mamuterrorijengi" (every culturally enriched suburb must have one) consisted of two Somali brothers who ran the whole show, plus other Somalis, Gypsies, one truly tragicomic chigger and some native Finn bottom-feeders. They speak a ridiculous mixture of "slack" Finnish and American Ebonics. Maybe this is what you're referring to?

In my experience Somalian doesn'y sound lazy, rather quite aggressive. You'll often see Somalis talking, and you swear they're about to pull out their AK-47's, and then instead they burst out laughing and start high-fiving each other.

Lulletje Rozewater
05-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Finland's future

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=144586362&albumID=936321&imageID=6820646

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_829797a7f0dc47a8265d87c75fc0a680.jpg

Pallantides
05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
I always thought Finns had more sensible immigration policies than the rest of the Nordic countries. :confused::(

The Ripper
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I used to live in Koivukylä, Vantaa -- probably the worst place in the whole Capital Region after Hakunila. The local "mamuterrorijengi" (every culturally enriched suburb must have one) consisted of two Somali brothers who ran the whole show, plus other Somalis, Gypsies, one truly tragicomic chigger and some native Finn bottom-feeders. They speak a ridiculous mixture of "slack" Finnish and American Ebonics. Maybe this is what you're referring to?
Yeah, I guess, but many of the words they use seem to be immigrant mongrelizations of Finnish words.

In my experience Somalian doesn'y sound lazy, rather quite aggressive. You'll often see Somalis talking, and you swear they're about to pull out their AK-47's, and then instead they burst out laughing and start high-fiving each other.

Hehe, too true. I do the best Somali impressions. Sometimes they seem so agitated they're about to choke on their own words. :D

Eldritch
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
I always thought Finns had more sensible immigration policies than the rest of the Nordic countries. :confused::(

It used to be that way. Now it's almost the other way around. Norway and Denmark in particular are, afaIk, tightening their policies, whereas here in Finland, Thors's Hammer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrid_Thors) has entirely demolished the gates.

lei.talk
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
xgOyTNtsWyY